Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Malfunction and Crash 24 hours of flight
12Next >
2762 51 2019-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Deme_3s
lvl.1
Flight distance : 797956 ft
Greece

Hey guys!
Am a mavic owner..well i used to untill my drone got disconnected from controller and never recoverd connection resulting in a crash in the sea!!!
I had the drone for like 3 months total of 24 hours of flight!
While i was shooting the sunset the controller disconnected and my screen went black! I had experienced a disconection before but after a few seconds the drone would initiate RTH! But not during the last flight!!
I sent everything to Dji Support and they came back at me with a Pilot Error answer!!
Can you guys help a fellow drone enthousiast?? i tried to attach a photo of the controller at the time of the incident i hope i did it right!!

my screen at the time of the malfunction

my screen at the time of the malfunction
2019-2-18
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try posting your flight records here.
2019-2-18
Use props
Deme_3s
lvl.1
Greece

Woe Posted at 2-18 05:14
Try posting your flight records here.

how can i post the flight records here???
2019-2-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Deme_3s Posted at 2-18 05:21
how can i post the flight records here???

use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-2-18
Use props
Far_North
lvl.4
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.  Once you post your logs I'm sure some of the very knowledgeable people here will be able to tell you what happened.
2019-2-18
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you make sure that you had enough GPS before taking off? I always push my limits and my screen goes total black and I just push my RTH and it goes back home and reconnects when It get a better reception.
2019-2-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Deme_3s. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic 2Pro. Since this unfortunate event happened. The best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support at https://www.dji.com/support for us to help you further with this matter. Thank you.

2019-2-18
Use props
Deme_3s
lvl.1
Greece

Lucas775 Posted at 2-18 07:33
Did you make sure that you had enough GPS before taking off? I always push my limits and my screen goes total black and I just push my RTH and it goes back home and reconnects when It get a better reception.

i think yes GPS was alright but still the aircraft never came back to home even though the RTH sound was "beeping"
2019-2-18
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Deme_3s Posted at 2-18 08:47
i think yes GPS was alright but still the aircraft never came back to home even though the RTH sound was "beeping"

Well, its all in your flightrecord, so if you upload you know what really happend [ see #4 ]
2019-2-18
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Deme_3s Posted at 2-18 08:47

That is my first priority before taking off, the takeoff position needs to be recorded before flying away.  Either i'm 100% sure or I don't take off.  
2019-2-18
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Lucas775 Posted at 2-18 09:03
That is my first priority before taking off, the takeoff position needs to be recorded before flying away.  Either i'm 100% sure or I don't take off.

Certainly the most important thing to do if one is relying on RTH (even for failsafe).
2019-2-18
Use props
dronespilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1392995 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear about your Mavic 2 Pro. Hope something positive comes out of this. All the best.
2019-2-18
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13925922 ft
  • >>>
Germany

One major question is:
What was your setting in case of signal loss?
RTH, Hover, Land??
2019-2-18
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Do you remember hearing  " The home point has been recorded " ?
2019-2-18
Use props
Sky Donkey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Wait for logs waste of time speculating …
2019-2-18
Use props
Deme_3s
lvl.1
Greece

Eric13 Posted at 2-18 12:36
One major question is:
What was your setting in case of signal loss?
RTH, Hover, Land??

RTH but it never came back!!!
2019-2-19
Use props
Deme_3s
lvl.1
Greece

Kingram Posted at 2-18 13:30
Do you remember hearing  " The home point has been recorded " ?

yes of course the home point was recorded i have it on video as well!
2019-2-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Deme_3s Posted at 2-19 00:26
RTH but it never came back!!!

well, pressing RTH button on the RC while not in P-GPS mode will a) activates the RTH beeping and b) will not bring the craft back home.....

Guess you do not want to share your flightlog with this forum, so why ask for help ?

cheers
JJB
2019-2-19
Use props
Deme_3s
lvl.1
Greece

JJB* Posted at 2-19 00:43
well, pressing RTH button on the RC while not in P-GPS mode will a) activates the RTH beeping and b) will not bring the craft back home.....

Guess you do not want to share your flightlog with this forum, so why ask for help ?

i will upload today am working you know !! i have no problem uploading the logs if you decide that it was pilot error after reviewing i will act accordingly !! A man can only accept and learn from the mistakes!! am here for a second opinion thats all!
2019-2-19
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Deme_3s Posted at 2-19 01:19
i will upload today am working you know !! i have no problem uploading the logs if you decide that it was pilot error after reviewing i will act accordingly !! A man can only accept and learn from the mistakes!!  am here for a second opinion thats all!

Oke, i am not here to judge people.
Sometimes i hope i can explain what i think did happen, so this way all forum members can learn form each other.
cheers
JJB
2019-2-19
Use props
DPOV
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did they "DJI techs" explain why it was pilot error?
2019-2-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Deme_3s Posted at 2-19 01:19
i will upload today am working you know !! i have no problem uploading the logs if you decide that it was pilot error after reviewing i will act accordingly !! A man can only accept and learn from the mistakes!!  am here for a second opinion thats all!

The log will help you learn if it was a mistake or malfunction, either way you will learn lots .
2019-2-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 2-19 00:43
well, pressing RTH button on the RC while not in P-GPS mode will a) activates the RTH beeping and b) will not bring the craft back home.....

Surely RTH works in all modes as long as the aircraft can receive GPS/GLONASS ?
2019-2-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2-19 15:55
Surely RTH works in all modes as long as the aircraft can receive GPS ?

It does indeed - I have lost signal in Sport mode before and RTH initiated.
2019-2-19
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United Kingdom

If your screen went black and DJI go 4 did not link, often the remote controller is still connected to the craft. I had this while flying on a hot day in albania on holiday. My ipad shut down due to overheat, but I found I could still control the drone with the controller, this obviously needs you to have visual line of sight on the drone at the time so you can fly by looking at how the drone is moving in the sky.
2019-2-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Aardvark Posted at 2-19 15:55
Surely RTH works in all modes as long as the aircraft can receive GPS/GLONASS ?

not always, when DJI software kills the use of GPS signal due to yaw, imu ect errors, drone flys in ATTI. GPS signals are there but not used ; so no RTH !
2019-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 2-20 00:52
not always, when DJI software kills the use of GPS signal due to yaw, imu ect errors, drone flys in ATTI. GPS signals are there but not used ; so no RTH !

Aardvark stated 'as long as the aircraft can receive GPS/GLONASS' - 'if DJI software kills GPS' then obviously RTH will not work mate. But in your post 18 to which Aardvark replied you simply stated that RTH will not work if not in p-GPS mode and made no reference to DJI software killing the GPS signal in that post. So that statement is indeed incorrect as, subject to GPS signal being intact, the drone will RTH in other flight modes - I know that for a first hand fact. If GPS signal is lost in flight for any reason then RTH may not work irrespective of the flight mode.
2019-2-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2-20 03:31
Aardvark stated 'as long as the aircraft can receive GPS/GLONASS' - 'if DJI software kills GPS' then obviously RTH will not work mate. But in your post 18 to which Aardvark replied you simply stated that RTH will not work if not in p-GPS mode and made no reference to DJI software killing the GPS signal in that post. So that statement is indeed incorrect as, subject to GPS signal being intact, the drone will RTH in other flight modes - I know that for a first hand fact. If GPS signal is lost in flight for any reason then RTH may not work irrespective of the flight mode.

Hi,

sorry, i do not understand your text. oops, i mentt a GPS stabilized mode, ofcourse in Sport RTH does work! (now i understand your reaction)

My post #18 is simple, there is a 'fault'in DJI software, when you press/hold the RTH button on the RC while the drone is in OPTI/ATTI * mode the RC starts to beep, so the OP thinks that RTH is active.
Ofcourse it is not active. When that happend the same time loosing connection, so the OP thinks it is/was in P-GPS mode, drone will not do a RTH while RC beeps....

* tested this out myself in OPTI mode

cheers
JJB
2019-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 2-20 04:17
Hi,

sorry, i do not understand your text.

Then to clarify it for you - you clearly stated that if the drone is not in P-GPS mode it will not RTH - that is not correct. I trust that is clear enough for you to comprehend now... The flight mode options on the Mavic 2 Pro (which the OP is referring to) also includes sport mode, tripod mode and p-mode as seperate flight mode options on the RC switch for the pilot to select.
The M2P does not only repsond to RTH if p-mode is selected. P-mode merely stabilises the postion of the drone using satelite positioning - RTH is active in all other flight modes when the home point has been created prior to take off and a GPS signal is maintained in flight. ATTI mode and OPTI mode means that GPS has been lost so obviously will not RTH. Perhaps you should have chosen your words more carefully.
EDIT - sorted
2019-2-20
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"GPS signals are there but not used ; so no RTH !"

I can see that in the case of the Mavics that the only way it will automatically switch to ATTI mode is because it has lost GPS reception. Losing GPS due to a software problem surely must be almost non existent, otherwise it would affect many. I had my 'P4 head' on, and of course it will RTH when manually selecting 'P', 'Sport', or 'ATTI' mode on the RC.

So in that respect you are correct, no GPS information available then no RTH.

If GPS reception becomes available then the Mavic should switch back to 'P' or 'Sport' mode' and RTH if requested.
2019-2-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2-20 04:20
Then to clarify it for you - you clearly stated that if the drone is not in p-GPS mode it will not RTH - that is not correct. I trust that is clear enough for you to comprehend now...

yes  see my edited post #28
2019-2-20
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 2-20 04:28

I just read post 28 :-)

Edit:- So we'll just have to agree to agree
2019-2-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Aardvark Posted at 2-20 04:27
"GPS signals are there but not used ; so no RTH !"

I can see that in the case of the Mavics that the only way it will automatically switch to ATTI mode is because it has lost GPS reception. Losing GPS due to a software problem surely must be almost non existent, otherwise it would affect many. I had my 'P4 head' on, and of course it will RTH when manually selecting 'P', 'Sport', or 'ATTI' mode on the RC.

I have seen so many logs where yaw, imu, speed errors result in ATTI, doing this the GPS signals are blocked ; not used. They are still there as the LatLon positions are recorded OK.

Seen flight where a RTH stopped because Drone went into ATTI, after while drone uses GPS signals again and re-enter RTH mode.

cheers
JJB
2019-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 2-20 04:28

Sorted
2019-2-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wish my english was my native language.....(and my brains works always at 100%   )
2019-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 2-20 04:35
Wish my english was my native language.....(and my brains works always at 100%   )

I see where you are coming from now mate - all of these damn modes eh!
2019-2-20
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Still no flight logs posted. I guess the DJI analysis of pilot error were correct.
2019-2-20
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

Whilst the RTH feature is reliable for the vast majority of situations, my preference is to return manually. The reason for this is there have been more reports than I can recall of wind gusts or GPS getting the better of a drone's RTH function. This way you have better chance as you can also switch to sport mode to make headway in the right direction!
2019-2-21
Use props
bikoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1534987 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Lucas775 Posted at 2-18 07:33

i just wonder what is the enough GPS should be ? some time's i get 13 some times 18 some times 20 so what is the minimum ?
2019-2-21
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Celsus Posted at 2-21 07:07
Whilst the RTH feature is reliable for the vast majority of situations, my preference is to return manually. The reason for this is there have been more reports than I can recall of wind gusts or GPS getting the better of a drone's RTH function. This way you have better chance as you can also switch to sport mode to make headway in the right direction!

agree, i normally never use RTH to fly home. (only for fun and testing purposes)

But can be handy to start a RTH so drone heads toward home, cancel RTH, switch to Sport if needed and fully forward.

cheers
JJB

2019-2-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules