Just a link to some info & why to check compass:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/scie ... t-flip-out/10727276

2019-2-18
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24259 ft
Australia

And here is a link regarding potential GPS interference that may also explain related navigation problems. Be careful flying Spark or any GPS guided drone.    https://www.gps.gov/spectrum/
2019-2-18
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2269905 ft
Kuwait

interesting
so do we need to Calibrate more often
or minor changes can be ignored
2019-2-19
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Sparkz71 Posted at 2-18 23:28
And here is a link regarding potential GPS interference that may also explain related navigation problems. Be careful flying Spark or any GPS guided drone.    https://www.gps.gov/spectrum/

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.  
2019-2-19
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good information
2019-2-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Sparkz71. Thank you for sharing these very informative links with us today and thank you for your support. Great work.
2019-2-19
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

I am pretty sure Spark compass related problems have zero correlation to the fact Earth's magnetic pole is drifting a bit here and there.
2019-2-19
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great info.
2019-2-19
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-19 08:27
I am pretty sure Spark compass related problems have zero correlation to the fact Earth's magnetic pole is drifting a bit here and there.

Are you for real? If the GPS & compass don't match, Spark goes into atti mode. Check the logs to confirm the truth. I guess you never bothered to check the facts nor the manual!  Fair go, I studied physics etc - did you?  Stop trolling me, cos I just wanted to explain how it all works & be real. If you don't agree provide your scientific evidence to prove - don't just say 'I am pretty sure' with out facts. I gave you the facts beyond your concern. I'm trying to be fair with evidence as available, compared to your opinion - fair go - I never said the compass was a direct problem, but hoped to help others to explain. If true north drifts, it must have a direct effect on Spark - why else calibrate?   DOH!
2019-2-26
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

SAADHERO Posted at 2-19 02:36
interesting
so do we need to Calibrate more often
or minor changes can be ignored

Sorry, I do not know the answer. I guess to calibrate when moving location or if you have issues during flight. Otherwise ignore if you fly in the same location, but check for magnetic interference in the app or re calibrate to be safe. The idea is to check pre-flight before you have a fly-away.
2019-2-26
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Sparkz71 Posted at 2-26 19:00
Are you for real? If the GPS & compass don't match, Spark goes into atti mode. Check the logs to confirm the truth. I guess you never bothered to check the facts nor the manual!  Fair go, I studied physics etc - did you?  Stop trolling me, cos I just wanted to explain how it all works & be real. If you don't agree provide your scientific evidence to prove - don't just say 'I am pretty sure' with out facts. I gave you the facts beyond your concern. I'm trying to be fair with evidence as available, compared to your opinion - fair go - I never said the compass was a direct problem, but hoped to help others to explain. If true north drifts, it must have a direct effect on Spark - why else calibrate?   DOH!

Proof?

So, magnetic declination (this is what matters actually) for any given location varies about 2 to 2.5 degrees  in 100 years. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_declination)

I my tests, difference between magnetic and direction calculated by GPS should be enormous (like either > 45 degrees or random change in heading) to cause Spark to go to ATTI.

Yes, if you change continents or even within the same continent but let's say far away, then you need to recalibrate.
Good example is let's say changing location from Maine (magnetic declination of 16 degrees west) to let's say Texas (4 degrees east). I would be more worried about cultural differences between the two than about the change in magnetic declination, tho.

Let's get some average country like UK as example.... magnetic declination change through the entire country location-wise is small enough that can be completely disregarded.

Conclusion... it would take like 1000 years for the north magnetic pole to drift 20 degrees and eventually cause Spark problems. And that only if it drifts in constant direction.
Change in magnetic north pole declination of 2.5 degrees in 100 years is smaller than precision of most consumer grade magnetic compasses.
2019-2-27
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

In the last 18 months I have never calibrated the compass...in that time I have departed my home in Arizona and flown Sparky in Alaska, Hawaii, and most of Europe.  Not once did I get a message saying the compass needed to be calibrated.  Before each flight I check the drone heading versus the map heading just to be sure they are both are the same...and they always are!!!
2019-2-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2019-2-27
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-27 02:12
Proof?

So, magnetic declination (this is what matters actually) for any given location varies about 2 to 2.5 degrees  in 100 years. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_declination)

According to your Wiki source, the magnetic field may vary from 16 degrees west to 4 degrees east, depending on location. It also states minimal change of 2 degrees every hundred years, yet closer toward the poles may cause it to change 1 degree every three years. Add the fluid molten core of Earth. Check your facts & then tell me if I am wrong.  I'm trying to help others to fly safe
2019-2-27
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Sparkz71 Posted at 2-27 16:10
According to your Wiki source, the magnetic field may vary from 16 degrees west to 4 degrees east, depending on location. It also states minimal change of 2 degrees every hundred years, yet closer toward the poles may cause it to change 1 degree every three years. Add the fluid molten core of Earth. Check your facts & then tell me if I am wrong.  I'm trying to help others to fly safe

Trying to spin a bit when faced with the facts?
1. I dismissed location wise magnetic declination, and was mainly focused on temporal one.
And I extensively explained what I've meant by "changing the continents" so all my claims are still correct and true.
2. Yet to see proof from you regarding 1 degree change in three years. I am sure it would be pretty exotic, anyways non-flyable location. And even within these exotic locations, 3 degrees will be in 9 years....well over life expectancy of any drone. Even not the planned, but regular obsolescence.
2019-2-28
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
Kuwait

Sparkz71 Posted at 2-26 19:20
Sorry, I do not know the answer. I guess to calibrate when moving location or if you have issues during flight. Otherwise ignore if you fly in the same location, but check for magnetic interference in the app or re calibrate to be safe. The idea is to check pre-flight before you have a fly-away.

yea i do pre flight checks to see everything is good
now i will check the North on drone with the north that is on my phone or from what i know which side is which
2019-3-1
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2-28 03:51
Trying to spin a bit when faced with the facts?
1. I dismissed location wise magnetic declination, and was mainly focused on temporal one.
And I extensively explained what I've meant by "changing the continents" so all my claims are still correct and true.

My friend, I am not trying to spin anything. The truth is out there.
I don't have time to debate. My point is to check the compass & IMU etc.
Unless you are a cowboy, with experience most pilots would check the KP index, magnetic fields etc.
Best to be safe & understand the world we live in. Good luck. If I am wrong, best to err on the  good side of practice.   Even the Boeing 737 Max 8 has problems in flight & crashed - please explain?  Learn the aircraft & forget about computers!  Check like in the old days & have a safe flight - simple.
2019-3-16
Use props
Sparkz71
lvl.4
Australia

SAADHERO Posted at 3-1 01:53
yea i do pre flight checks to see everything is good
now i will check the North on drone with the north that is on my phone or from what i know which side is which

Better to be safe. Thank you, I'll add  that to my check list as well.  You provided exactly what I intended to say. Your response is very helpful.  Happy flying & thank you again for responding with a very sensible comment!  I wish you all the best....
2019-3-16
Use props
SAADHERO
lvl.4
France

Sparkz71 Posted at 3-16 01:16
Better to be safe. Thank you, I'll add  that to my check list as well.  You provided exactly what I intended to say. Your response is very helpful.  Happy flying & thank you again for responding with a very sensible comment!  I wish you all the best....

your welcome am glad to help =)
2019-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules