120fps PAL
1379 7 2019-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trampintransit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256385 ft
United Kingdom

Why is possible to select PAL, then 120fps slomo ?  120fps isn't a PAL frame rate?  Shame, I'm sure DJI have stopped doing any updates for the P4 but a PAL 100fps would have good?
2019-2-20
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have noticed this too only certain frame rates are only available in certain PAL/NTSC modes, but don't find it a great issue problem to change between.
2019-2-20
Use props
Trampintransit
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Aerial-Image Posted at 2-20 04:02
I have noticed this too only certain frame rates are only available in certain PAL/NTSC modes, but don't find it a great issue problem to change between.

Aye...but it's asking for problems in an edit....120fps is actually 119.8!  So be careful editing with it as slomo, in theory it seems to me that it HAS to drop frames?
2019-2-20
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But is it really that noticable
2019-2-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

'120fps isn't a PAL frame rate? '

The whole PAL issue is irrelevant, as their is no such thing as PAL in the HD world. It is an old encoding system from the analog past. No DJI aircraft generates a PAL signal of any sort.
2019-2-20
Use props
Trampintransit
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2-20 14:14
'120fps isn't a PAL frame rate? '

The whole PAL issue is irrelevant, as their is no such thing as PAL in the HD world. It is an old encoding system from the analog past. No DJI aircraft generates a PAL signal of any sort.

That wasn't really my point. Just a warning to those who might not be expecting it...I wasn't till I thought about it. Most of us operate in NTSC or PAL 'standard' frame rates. I just seems odd that DJI chose to offer 120 and not 100 also.  To someone in 'PALWorld' they might not have realised that 120 is actually 119.8 and thus unlikely to integrate seamlessly into a 25fps timeline in an edit. It seems to me that if you shoot 120 and slomo it along with 50fps stuff and 25fps 'onspeed' footage in a 25 timleine, then the '120 stuff has to give somewhere.
I guess my point was that as a 'PAL' rate person , 100fps would have been more useful and I'm surprised DJI didn't think of that.
2019-2-21
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Trampintransit Posted at 2-21 00:16
That wasn't really my point. Just a warning to those who might not be expecting it...I wasn't till I thought about it. Most of us operate in NTSC or PAL 'standard' frame rates. I just seems odd that DJI chose to offer 120 and not 100 also.  To someone in 'PALWorld' they might not have realised that 120 is actually 119.8 and thus unlikely to integrate seamlessly into a 25fps timeline in an edit. It seems to me that if you shoot 120 and slomo it along with 50fps stuff and 25fps 'onspeed' footage in a 25 timleine, then the '120 stuff has to give somewhere.
I guess my point was that as a 'PAL' rate person , 100fps would have been more useful and I'm surprised DJI didn't think of that.

I understand your point, but the erroneous PAL/NTSC business annoys the hell out of me, so I try to debunk it whenever I get the chance.

DJI buy in a chip solution, often called 'System On Silicon', to handle the whole video stream, made by a US company, therefore made to suit US applications. The silly part of it is that they are still referring to PAL and NTSC when they do not exist any longer. Any up-to-date country has now retired their analogue transmission systems, and all television is now a derivative of MPEG. They should in fact simply label the frame rates accurately, to the appropriate number of decimal places, and forget the PAL/NTSC referrence, as all it does is confuse the situation further for people with minimal technical expertise.
2019-2-21
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes just pic the frame rate needed and ignore the color mode it is in..
2019-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules