Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
UK drone laws about to change
1975 17 2019-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NFZ around airports to be extended to three miles on March 13th from its current 1km in the U.K.

https://dronesafe.uk/restrictions/

2019-2-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, we really appreciate you for sharing some information that will help others, especially in the EU region, with regards to that there will be upcoming release new Precise Fly Safe Database that optimize and improve data accuracy, especially in the EU region. Keep in touch. Thank you for your support.
2019-2-20
Use props
ShermanFlyer
Captain
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Thanks for the info. No surprise given the Gatwick issue. These restrictions will only increase as a minority of drone owners continue to break the safety rules.
2019-2-20
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ShermanFlyer Posted at 2-20 08:48
Thanks for the info. No surprise given the Gatwick issue. These restrictions will only increase as a minority of drone owners continue to break the safety rules.

I think what's happening now is really just the rolling out, and clarification of multirotor specific rules and regulations within the U.K. These would have come into play over the next year or two anyhow, the Gatwick incident and others have merely accelerated the process I think. For most larger airports in the U.K the existing ruling of not flying near to or over congested areas already should've ensured their immediate airspace was free of UAV's. Now they have been firmed up in law likely makes the job of the authorities, the police, and others, easier to prosecute should they so wish.
2019-2-20
Use props
Ken Storm
First Officer
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

One question I'd like ask is what is defined as an "Airport", near me there are lots of small Airfields (as I would call them), where small private aircraft are used.  
Naturally I would not fly too close to them but feel 5KM is a bit too far. The 1KM for such airfields seemed entirely reasonable, and perhaps 2KM in line with the runway, if you can call a strip of grass a runway.

If its 5km no matter what the size of the Airport/Airfield then vast areas would become no fly zones. As sum point if they keep increasing it, the whole of the UK would be a NFZ.
2019-2-21
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ken Storm Posted at 2-21 02:55
One question I'd like ask is what is defined as an "Airport", near me there are lots of small Airfields (as I would call them), where small private aircraft are used.  
Naturally I would not fly too close to them but feel 5KM is a bit too far. The 1KM for such airfields seemed entirely reasonable, and perhaps 2KM in line with the runway, if you can call a strip of grass a runway.

If you look at the map (UK FRZ Map) on that link ( https://dronesafe.uk/restrictions/ ), you can zoom in and see exactly which airfields are covered. Other than that the 'Drone Assist' App' is also a good guide for showing NFZ and areas where caution is advised.
2019-2-21
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Ken Storm Posted at 2-21 02:55

Indeed this seems to be the wish of many. Both Gatwick and Heathrow events were suspect and an illustration of how prejudices and ill-informed assumptions stoked by an all too lazy press - create an atmosphere of oppressive legislation against those who are just indulging a relatively harmless recreation. In the UK there are few areas that one can fly from and be truly 'compliant' with the 'code' which is now being rushed into law with associated punitive charges. In the UK there's much talk about exploiting the 'amazing opportunities' that 'drone technology' has to offer - yet at the same time those legislating are predominantly anti the technology and not even connected with the recreational drone flying community. In the media rare is the occasion you will actually get a reasoned comment from people who actually are drone pilots - mostly you'll hear from commercial aviation pilots or some security 'expert'.
2019-2-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It was only a matter of time - thanks for the info and TBH - I'm amazed it was only ever 1KM given that it's 5 miles in the US... 3 miles won't affect my current prime flying locations I'm pleased to say. Registration and on line tests next... November I believe.
2019-2-21
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

What Gatwick and Heathrow incidents?

Do you mean the likely cover up of serious airport system failures vaguely disguised by 'suspected' drone activity?

The following Gouvernment knee jerk reaction was entirely predictable as was the one sided reporting by the British press. - Nothing new there. Same old.

I am ok with a 3 mile NFZ ... other countries have similar ... As long as it stays that way!

Who knows, the next guy/girl calling an airport stating they may have spotted a bir... sorry... drone will probably achieve a five mile NFZ apart from closing the airport down for a day and on it goes ...
2019-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2-20 15:43
I think what's happening now is really just the rolling out, and clarification of multirotor specific rules and regulations within the U.K. These would have come into play over the next year or two anyhow, the Gatwick incident and others have merely accelerated the process I think. For most larger airports in the U.K the existing ruling of not flying near to or over congested areas already should've ensured their immediate airspace was free of UAV's. Now they have been firmed up in law likely makes the job of the authorities, the police, and others, easier to prosecute should they so wish.

It was due to come anyways as you say, have the rules changed regarding AGL , this rule seemed a bit peculiar.
2019-2-21
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

*DM* Posted at 2-21 03:25
What Gatwick and Heathrow incidents?

Do you mean the likely cover up of serious airport system failures vaguely disguised by 'suspected' drone activity?

Well their latest responses were news yesterday. Some interesting comments in the story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47302902
2019-2-21
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-21 03:31
It was due to come anyways as you say, have the rules changed regarding AGL , this rule seemed a bit peculiar.

There's a bit more detail on the CAA website:-

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... onal-drone-flights/
2019-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2-21 03:44
There's a bit more detail on the CAA website:-

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Recreational-drone-flights/

Thank you.

It’s just been announced flights suspended at Dublin Airport because of drone sightings, keep tuned .
2019-2-21
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2-21 03:38
Well their latest responses were news yesterday. Some interesting comments in the story

Yup saw the interview with Mr Gill and him 'demonstrating' his anti-drone 'gun' - it was a joke to be frank. The devise he had was more likely a mock-up of what he would liked to have had - complete with shoulder stock and gun barrel with simple toggle switches on the back. The idea was that it was a 'directed beam' type device. Would have looked fine for a retro 'blaster' type weapon from a Scifi film. That said, the chap could have been arrested for carrying what looked like a sawn-off shotgun!
2019-2-21
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2-21 03:44
There's a bit more detail on the CAA website:-

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft/Recreational-drones/Recreational-drone-flights/

Thanks for these posts. One thing that's bugging me is the vague specification about the off flight path NFZ being either 2 nautical miles or 2.5 nautical miles - which equates to about a one kilometre difference. There seems at present no information about how these two different ranges are determined.
2019-2-21
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2-21 04:39
Thanks for these posts. One thing that's bugging me is the vague specification about the off flight path NFZ being either 2 nautical miles or 2.5 nautical miles - which equates to about a one kilometre difference. There seems at present no information about how these two different ranges are determined.

Presumably some airfields will have a two mile, and others the 2.5 mile radius. Depending on type of traffic, or national/international, I would think.

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/pu ... amp;Itemid=466.html

The detail on the maps looks to be accurate when zoomed in.

https://dronesafe.uk/restrictions/
2019-2-21
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Aardvark Posted at 2-21 03:38

Besides the option of 'protest groups' being behind the orchestrated attack someone could ask who benefits from the hysteria following these attacks.
I would look into the anti-drone device industry. That's a big market. ;-)
2019-2-21
Use props
Lamplighter55
Captain
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2-21 05:24
Presumably some airfields will have a two mile, and others the 2.5 mile radius. Depending on type of traffic, or national/international, I would think.

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=255&Itemid=466.html

Yes, maybe its those airports that have more than one operational runway - that require the 2.5 NM limit.

We do have a lot of airports relatively close together in the UK.

2019-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules