1196 23 2019-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

I often complain about DJI policy but must admit, the design and hardware are top notch.
About a month ago I came home to find a Sheriff's card on my door with the only message being 'Drone'.  My First thought was that I must have upset a neighbor somehow.  I called the number on the card and was told the investigator would give me a call. (They also asked if I was home, which was creepy) Next day the investigator called and stated someone had found and returned my first P4, which I lost on a Litchi mission.  Completely my fault for failing to make an altitude adjustment in an automated flight up the river and back.  The loss was on 2/19/17.  
I cried a few months, finally gave up hope and gave away my remote to a forum member in need.  Another year and a half pass and suddenly I have the drone back.  I was expecting a mess but received a fairly clean bird with two broken props.  Battery was toast.  The investigator mentioned they had to 'learn' how to identify the owner and was instructed to accomplish that by accessing the internal SD card on the Flight Control board.  My FAA number was on the bird, bless their hearts, lol.  But really, hats off to the Goochland Police Department for going the extra mile to find the owner - me!  Even if it didn't work, I had a spot for it in the garage for old time sake.  
Got it home, slapped in a battery and the darn thing fired up.  The startup tones were not correct, and I couldn't get my P4P+ controller to connect - that's another story.  I figured, what the hell and opened it up.  I found the attempt to remove the internal SD card broke the SD socket on the flight controller and severed a flight control cable.  Ordered the FC and cable from eBay for $50.  That fixed everything, the startup tones and LEDs were correct but I still couldn't bind.  Purchased a used P4 controller (because I gave mine away lol) which arrived today.  Binding was quick, and I connected right away.  Motors work, all checks in the Go App are green, camera and gimble good.  Putting in the final screws, now if it would just stop snowing/raining!   

So yeah, almost 2 years outdoors and aside from some minor dirt and spiderwebs on the inside, I think she's gonna fly!  Gotta say, good bird.

2019-2-20
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a good story and thank you for sharing.  I wonder if someone would do the same with mine and find it down the riveronly had 3 flights and totally my fault due to blind flights under a bridge that I could barely see and hitting a pole that I thought was invisible.
2019-2-20
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

One lucky guy!  Good story.
2019-2-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lucky fellow. Congrats
2019-2-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow, nice one
2019-2-20
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool story, glad you got it back.

But... title says 47 months? That's 4 YEARS. [20190220 - ETA - OP fixed title after realizing it was really 23 months]

Also, did the sheriff say it had just been returned, or they had it some time (trying to get at whether it was actually out in the elements for 2 years or sat in their evidence room for the bulk of that time....)

Anyway good luck with the maiden flight of the zombie phantom!
2019-2-20
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

The P4P remote is not compatibale wth P4 standard, that is why you could not get it to bind.
2019-2-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What is the next mission? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2019-2-21
Use props
TBoyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31345 ft
  • >>>
United States

Man you got lucky on that one.. Where I live if someone found it, it would have been pawned or used by them...  BUT i hope i'm that lucky if I am ever in the situation.. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see your face though when they told you they found your drone. I bet your were just beside yourself, i know i would have been.  I would have been like "SERIOUSLY? HOLYCRAP! WHERES IT AT" LOL
2019-2-21
Use props
TBoyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31345 ft
  • >>>
United States

Man you got lucky on that one.. Where I live if someone found it, it would have been pawned or used by them...  BUT i hope i'm that lucky if I am ever in the situation.. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see your face though when they told you they found your drone. I bet your were just beside yourself, i know i would have been.  I would have been like "SERIOUSLY? HOLYCRAP! WHERES IT AT" LOL
2019-2-21
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Amazing news. So happy for you. I hope it flies when you can get it out there.
2019-2-21
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Wow, thanks for sharing the story!
2019-2-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, we really appreciate you for sharing some good story and experience. Hoping back in the Air soonest. Fly safely. Cheers!
2019-2-21
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

patiam Posted at 2-20 21:05

But... title says 47 months? That's 4 YEARS.

Opps, yeah, that should be 23 months.  Don't know what the heck I was thinking.
2019-2-21
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

patiam Posted at 2-20 21:05

But... title says 47 months? That's 4 YEARS.

2019-2-21
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2-21 00:10
The P4P remote is not compatibale wth P4 standard, that is why you could not get it to bind.

It used to be.  In older versions of the firmware there was a selection under the remote settings in the Go App that would allow you to choose one of three models.  What was actually happening was that it would bind, took forever, but the link would be in and out - mostly out.  I would get a half second of connection and a quick partial video then it would drop again.  I upgraded my firmware in an attempt to correct the issue and lost the option all together lol.  
2019-2-21
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

The Roach Posted at 2-21 16:50
It used to be.  In older versions of the firmware there was a selection under the remote settings in the Go App that would allow you to choose one of three models.  What was actually happening was that it would bind, took forever, but the link would be in and out - mostly out.  I would get a half second of connection and a quick partial video then it would drop again.  I upgraded my firmware in an attempt to correct the issue and lost the option all together lol.

Ahhh I must have had it backwards. The P4 standard remote is not compatible with P4P. Sorry for the confusion.
2019-2-21
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Roach Posted at 2-21 16:37

Sounds more like it. Don't think the P4 has even existed for 47 months :p
Thanks for the edit
2019-2-21
Use props
Cessoutdoors150
lvl.1
Flight distance : 140240 ft
Germany

Good for you, nice cops, here in Germany by law you got to put a fireproof id plate on your drone, name address, and phone number so people can return to you or sue you, hehe get insurance!
2019-2-22
Use props
Narellish
New
Australia

Wow - that is truly awesome!!
2019-2-23
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

That's really good to hear a positive story like that.  I bet you feel like a dog with two .....  errr,  tails ?
2019-2-23
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Finally stopped raining.  While there is a 17 mile an hour wind, I gave it a shot.  She flew great.  Took her out about 1/2 mile and back.  Hit 55 mph with the wind.  Brought her in at 48% battery to check things out.  Got a screw loose, lol, inside the body so I have to crack it open to figure that out.  I was having issues with firmware updates but figured that out today post flight.  Recalibrated everything, it's like getting a new drone lol.  Don't think I'll be flying this one over people, still nervous, but it's a good utility bird.  Got the M2 coming this week.  Then I promise - no more drones....
2019-2-24
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

So  pleased for you that it flew, and still amazed that it flew after all this time. "No more drones.....". Well I am sure we all know you will stick to that.
2019-2-25
Use props
fans04455541
New

United States

Great story Inuave a question how do I link my new controller with my phantom 4?
2019-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules