1935 23 2019-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iAmChrisStone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2283609 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are new with this hobby, you need to be sure to use commonsense beyond what the DJI app tells you regarding no-fly zones. Always be conscience of your surroundings and possible obstacles.

2019-2-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow that was close. The pilot  should've heard the thing coming before it got that close.
2019-2-21
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Looks like he was up pretty high in very busy place.  Don't have a sectional handy so I wonder if thats' a restricted or controlled area.    Bad decision anyway you shake it!
2019-2-21
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

That was close, thanks for sharing!
2019-2-21
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

That won't be the last either.
2019-2-21
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 2-21 06:31
Looks like he was up pretty high in very busy place.  Don't have a sectional handy so I wonder if thats' a restricted or controlled area.    Bad decision anyway you shake it!

Looking at the Facility Maps, doesn't show as a controlled area.

But that was MUCH higher than 400ft.  Whomever posted that,  listen for the knock on your door.

Could have been disastrous if the impact would have taken down the chopper......lives on the ground would have ended.

Randy
2019-2-21
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I agree with everybody else, that appears to be much higher than 400ft. And yes, probably if we were all honest, I know I have been above that 400ft., but in a rural area...…..not saying it was ok to do but it has happened. I do try to follow the rules, and I am always mindful of where I am.
But putting myself in that location, you have to assume there is traffic all around, and you would certainly hear that chopper in my opinion. Then it appears the pilot chased after the helicopter. What an idiot! Yeah, he/she better be prepared for a visit from somebody, and rightfully so.
2019-2-21
Use props
iAmChrisStone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2283609 ft
  • >>>
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2-21 09:56
I agree with everybody else, that appears to be much higher than 400ft. And yes, probably if we were all honest, I know I have been above that 400ft., but in a rural area...…..not saying it was ok to do but it has happened. I do try to follow the rules, and I am always mindful of where I am.
But putting myself in that location, you have to assume there is traffic all around, and you would certainly hear that chopper in my opinion. Then it appears the pilot chased after the helicopter. What an idiot! Yeah, he/she better be prepared for a visit from somebody, and rightfully so.

Yeah the pilot didn't chase after it.  Watch again.  Once the heli comes i to screen, the drone stops moving forward or backward.   Probably scared them lol.  Woulda scared me!
2019-2-21
Use props
Tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451119 ft
United States

vids on your youtube and nowhere else, my guess it was you
2019-2-21
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

I live in a semi rural area. Helicopters seem to like to fly really low around here....when I am out flying, it can sometimes be very tough to tell the difference between the sound of a motorcycle and the sound of a helicopter. I try to fly no higher than the tree tops for this very reason.
2019-2-21
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

yah, i mean it is niagara falls!
2019-2-21
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

hard to watch
2019-2-21
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

Tree Posted at 2-21 11:48
vids on your youtube and nowhere else, my guess it was you

possibly...
2019-2-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Such rare incidents are inevitable in this business, particularly if you're taking a risk of flying higher than you should. Yet, the chances of collision are extremely slim, way less possible than a bird strike in aviation industry.  I had identical close call in the most remote mountain wilderness with a forestry helicopter passing by at 200 ft AGL, and absolutely no chance to see or hear it coming soon enough nor to perform any evasive maneuvering.  
2019-2-21
Use props
TheLazyC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1357356 ft
  • >>>
United States

From my memory, that appears to be on the CANADIAN side of the falls.
2019-2-21
Use props
1Eagle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

He appears to be over Goat Island which is on the US side. However, the chopper came from the Canadian side.
Flying high and over a state park and right next to NFZ from Niagra Falls Intl. airport.
Beautiful place but a sketchy flight.
2019-2-21
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

It looks like the pilot might have seen the drone and went under it seeing that he was gaining altitude after passing underneath it. If the pilot did see it I’m sure he was mad. Scary anyways.
2019-2-22
Use props
JPilotR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow. Scary. Any thoughts on filing a NOTAM before a flight like that over the falls? I would think with all the rotary ops in and out of there it would be prudent to file a NOTAM through Airmap or something like that. Regardless, seemed well above 400 ft.
2019-2-22
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Wow thats a close call, looks like he was 400 AGL or more
2019-2-22
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Best I keep my comments to myself ..................  GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !
2019-2-23
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

JPilotR Posted at 2-22 15:11
Wow. Scary. Any thoughts on filing a NOTAM before a flight like that over the falls? I would think with all the rotary ops in and out of there it would be prudent to file a NOTAM through Airmap or something like that. Regardless, seemed well above 400 ft.

I have not heard of filing a NOTAM for a drone flight except when flying with a waiver.  I know I will designate a UAS Operating area with Flight Service when I go up.  I have not used LAANC for any reason as of yet.
2019-2-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day iAmChrisStone. Thank you for sharing this video with us today. Great find and thank you for your support.
2019-2-23
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looking at 30 seconds in, it does look like the heli pilot was coming out of evasive action, isnt the chopper tilting back end down as it goes under then levels off whilst ascending??
2019-2-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wow - too close!
2019-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now