OSMO Pocket HDR video trial
4159 17 2019-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

My second attemt making HDR video with OP.
It is difficult to find some exact materials about HDR editing and setups.
Have to try and error myself.

SDR.JPG
Usual 8bit lumetri

HDR.JPG
HDR lumetri and try to set it at 1000nit brightness
Monitoring with my LG Oled TV.

HDR003.jpg
HDR004.jpg
HDR007.JPG

HDR version

SDR version

HDR Version on HDR TV just shows superior image. Much wider color range on highlight and even lense flare looks much cleaner.
However it is also difficult to get the shadow balanced. I constantly got the shadow darker than my liking.
(Should get a HDR PC Monitor...)

Shot everything on Auto mode. No ND filter just the most casual set up.
May be next time try to shoot with Cinelike and ND filter.

HDR001.jpg
HDR002.jpg
2019-2-21
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, we really appreciate you for sharing your sample shots here, well done. Cheers!
2019-2-21
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Very nice work, by the way, the color of the food is too tempting. So loving it.
2019-2-22
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

DJI Panda Posted at 2-22 02:17
Very nice work, by the way, the color of the food is too tempting. So loving it.

Glad you like it It is actually very delicious.
2019-2-22
Use props
djiuser_3PbFsVin0SFQ
lvl.2

South Korea

Love the visual and music.
2019-2-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Tide Posted at 2-22 12:35
Glad you like it  It is actually very delicious.

You are most welcome here. Just in case you need any help, please feel free to contact us. We're here to help. Thanks for choosing DJI!
2019-2-23
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

djiuser_3PbFsVin0SFQ Posted at 2-23 00:38
Love the visual and music.

2019-2-24
Use props
Apollo11capcom
lvl.2
United States

I didn't think HDR was supported,  I haven't seen it as an option,  am i missing something?
2019-3-21
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
United States

Apollo11capcom Posted at 3-21 09:58
I didn't think HDR was supported,  I haven't seen it as an option,  am i missing something?
Oh it is not OP's option.
I rendered OP's normal footage into the HDR10 container at the post work so it can be a HDR video with HDR metadata which activates HDR specular brightness of the HDR TV.

It is very different from HDR picture which mix different exposure images. HDR video is a display spec not picture taking spec.
2019-3-21
Use props
Apollo11capcom
lvl.2
United States

Tide Posted at 3-21 20:46
Oh it is not OP's option.
I rendered OP's normal footage into the HDR10 container at the post work so it can be a HDR video with HDR metadata which activates HDR specular brightness of the HDR TV.

Gotcha, thanks!
2019-3-21
Use props
Klaus W.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118366 ft
Germany

Since the OP only outputs 8 bit 4:2:0 Rec.709, it is not suited really well for HDR; cf. HDR video
2019-3-22
Use props
markr041
lvl.3
United States

Klaus W. Posted at 3-22 05:03
Since the OP only outputs 8 bit 4:2:0 Rec.709, it is not suited really well for HDR; cf. HDR video

I tend to agree with this. I do not think, however (based on lots of experience making HDR videos using 8 bit and 10bit and 420 and 422 sources) that those specs matter very much. The real issue is the color space. You have to transform REC709 color to REC202 color, and you can get odd colors.

But the gain is you are able to go beyond the limited dynamic range of REC709 - even the Osmo Pocket sensor is capable of more DR than REC709, and that gain is visible in HDR.
2019-3-22
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

markr041 Posted at 3-22 05:09
I tend to agree with this. I do not think, however (based on lots of experience making HDR videos using 8 bit and 10bit and 420 and 422 sources) that those specs matter very much. The real issue is the color space. You have to transform REC709 color to REC202 color, and you can get odd colors.

But the gain is you are able to go beyond the limited dynamic range of REC709 - even the Osmo Pocket sensor is capable of more DR than REC709, and that gain is visible in HDR.

Agreed with both of your comments.
I render OP footage to HDR dispite of its 8 bit limitation just because I enjoy doing it.
2019-3-22
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

markr041 Posted at 3-22 05:09
I tend to agree with this. I do not think, however (based on lots of experience making HDR videos using 8 bit and 10bit and 420 and 422 sources) that those specs matter very much. The real issue is the color space. You have to transform REC709 color to REC202 color, and you can get odd colors.

You are completely wrong and obviously don't understand anything about dynamic range or colour space.
2019-3-23
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi.

Really good video, am I the only person who suddenly got very hungry

Although I'd be carful calling this HDR. You don't gain extra dynamic range or colours when you insert 709 into 2020. When you record anything in 709, be it with an altered gamma curve or not, you are still defined by its max peak to peak levels.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-23
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-23 01:59
Hi.

Really good video, am I the only person who suddenly got very hungry

Thanks it certainly was a tasty treat.  

Yes it is far from what real HDR is capable of. More like my silly experiment.
2019-3-23
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 3-23 13:04
Thanks it certainly was a tasty treat.  

Yes it is far from what real HDR is capable of. More like my silly experiment.

Hi.

It's not silly at all.

What you have proven is that with a bit of care you can mix the Pocket's 709 footage within a 2020 project.

In certain instances where you may have a HDR project with HDR footage but maybe you are missing a few shots. Then this example clearly shows that you can use a few pick up shots with the Pocket and mix them in.

It's always better to have something as opposed to nothing.

BTW. Please don't think that I was being funny with my previous response, I was just trying to clarify the distinction between 709 and 2020 dynamic range.

Here's another way of looking at it. An MP3 or AAC audio file can and do sound very good, although their sonic characteristics are not the best . If you have a project that's using 48Khz 24 Bit audio which is uncompressed, which would be typical for editing the audio of a video project and you use a MP3 or AAC audio file in it. The MP3 or AAC audio is padded out into the uncompressed work space but this doesn't increase the sonic quality of the original files and any further manipulation of those files will be limited to the original file's characteristics and can't be as manipulated as much as the same audio that originated as uncompressed PCM 48Khz 24 Bit.

Anyway, I thought your examples were great and thank you for taking the time to post and share your considerable efforts for the benefit of others.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-23
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

David_Harry Posted at 3-23 13:53
Hi.

It's not silly at all.

Thanks Dave,

I agree that OP can be very versatile as a secondary camera. All ways in standby and getting into the place that is difficult for main camera. Capturing usable footage at the reasonably compromised quality from main camera footage.

Bumping up the color space to Rec. 2020 is not without some distortion in color as you mentioned. It take me some time in post to get the color at least close.
2019-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules