Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First uncontrolled flight
1211 13 2019-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MadMadMat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2097874 ft
United States

I had my first scare today flying my mavic Pro, I am having some Plumbing issues and just wanted to fly it a few feet above the roof and take pictures of the drain vents. I'm sure it was my error but I'd like to know what I did cuz I don't want to repeat it. I took off from the driveway flew right above the house was trying to get the vents on screen to take a picture and all the sudden the drone turned around and started heading in the opposite direction. Luckily it just turned around and landed on the driveway, the strange thing is I had no rth beep from the controller the app could have froze but it didn't lock up and go off the screen like it has once or twice in the past oh, I could not regain control until after the engines were off and I restarted everything. All batteries were full or close to full I believe I got GPS signal before I took off because I checked the flight warnings and that was the only warning for this day is the home point has been updated. I have only been flying the mavic since around Thanksgiving but I have over 200 flights and a million and a half feet of travel distance I thought I understood pretty much everything.

Can someone please explain how to view the flight log so I can see exactly what happened? Or at least tell me how to post the flight log here so somebody else can take a look at it, no control is definitely no good I don't want to repeat that one.

Thank you in advance

The app has crashed a couple times on my tablet in the past but I still had full control from the remote come to think of it I closed the app afterward I'm interested to see what happened so I can prevent it from happening again
2019-2-21
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

How about the front sensors seeing the roof/pipe?  Think maybe?  Glad all is well, hope plumbing problems are okay now.
2019-2-21
Use props
DroneSchmoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 134052 ft
United States

Youn can use this link to upload your flight logs. http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/ Post the link to the txt file here on this thread.
2019-2-21
Use props
MadMadMat
lvl.2
United States

DroneSchmoe Posted at 2-21 14:48
Youn can use this link to upload your flight logs. http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/ Post the link to the txt file here on this thread.

Thank you very much should the one from the tablet be sufficient or should I pulled one out of the Mavic?
2019-2-21
Use props
MadMadMat
lvl.2
United States

HH1 Posted at 2-21 14:18
How about the front sensors seeing the roof/pipe?  Think maybe?  Glad all is well, hope plumbing problems are okay now.

That is possible sorry for my short reply but I'm using voice to text on my tablet is cracked right down the middle so it's hard to edit. With a previous drone from another company I knew how to extract logs convert them in view the whole flight in Google Eart. After this incident hopefully I will have a better understanding  oh how to work with these logs  and we will know what happened I just don't want to fly away that's not retrievable so I'd like to know for sure it was my fault
2019-2-21
Use props
MadMadMat
lvl.2
United States

MadMadMat Posted at 2-21 18:25
Thank you very much should the one from the tablet be sufficient or should I pulled one out of the Mavic?

Okay well I viewed the one that is on the tablet and it seems like it may have been an app crash or something because it doesn't show it returning to the driveway. I am going to have to extract the one from the Drone if I can figure that out. I am sure I will get that figured out I just haven't done it before. Another thing that concerns me is just posting all the personal information because it shows residence and everything can anyone who understands the log ask for it by p.m.? If that is okay to do in the Forum. I will be happy for the results to be postedAnd I thought I had read that there was a recoverable log on the Drone but when I view it I only see the DCIM folder and misc folder maybe I was mistaken. I guess I need a little guidance and I do have a link for the log that came from the tablet

2019-2-21
Use props
DroneSchmoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 134052 ft
United States

MadMadMat Posted at 2-21 18:25
Thank you very much should the one from the tablet be sufficient or should I pulled one out of the Mavic?

yes, that should work fine. Enough to see what was going on. Should be a txt file a believe
2019-2-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-2-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Novel idea for use of drone.  Camera may have trouble looking down into pipe due to pipe being dark inside and brightness around pipe.  Our eyes are more adept as such tasks.  You may need a brightly lit snake cam to get a good look down vent pipes.
2019-2-22
Use props
MadMadMat
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2-22 09:37
Novel idea for use of drone.  Camera may have trouble looking down into pipe due to pipe being dark inside and brightness around pipe.  Our eyes are more adept as such tasks.  You may need a brightly lit snake cam to get a good look down vent pipes.

True true about difficulty seeing down the pipe I was wasting time while waiting for a snake. Luckily I could solve the problem from ground-level once I got the proper tool.

I sent the link to the log to Forum user jjb I'll be interested to find out what he learns
2019-2-22
Use props
Nordium
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10875728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very strange. Keep us updated as to what JJB learns from the flight log. Sorry to hear about this!
2019-2-22
Use props
MadMadMat
lvl.2
United States

Nordium Posted at 2-22 21:42
Very strange. Keep us updated as to what JJB learns from the flight log. Sorry to hear about this!

He said it did exactly what it seems to do to me it was a total disconnect from the tablet and the controller until after I powered It Off. The Drone performed flawlessly it executed rth and landed exactly where it took off from but all data stops at the point of disconnect.

To quote him"Short flightrecord to analyse. Reading your posting txt at the forum ; this log stops and after, i guess, a disconnect nothing is logged to this file.
This is normal ofcourse as the data cannot be written on a disconnected mobile device. (full disconnect is RC disconnect, partly only mob dev)
As your MP did land automatically it must have been a full disconnect, so RTH did the job.
HomePoint was recorded, but it did land on the driveway ? possible if you did RC inputs and only the device was disconnected."

I guess I will have to take baby steps and test things out until I have confidence again in the hardware. At night I can fly 5000 feet away without disconnecting if it does disconnect I can regain control almost immediately it hasn't been a good drone week the battery died in my white goggles and now I have an unexplained loss of control but I know it could always be worse so I'm happy. At least the mavic pro executed flawlessly
2019-2-23
Use props
MadMadMat
lvl.2
United States

MadMadMat Posted at 2-23 03:03
He said it did exactly what it seems to do to me it was a total disconnect from the tablet and the controller until after I powered It Off. The Drone performed flawlessly it executed rth and landed exactly where it took off from but all data stops at the point of disconnect.

Multiple flights today now that it's dar5k I just flew 4000 feet away with no connection problems everything is A-OK I want to thank everyone for their input and assistance

2019-2-23
Use props
MadMadMat
lvl.2
United States

MadMadMat Posted at 2-23 03:03

Multiple flights today now that it's dar5k I just flew 4000 feet away with no connection problems everything is A-OK I want to thank everyone for their input and assistance

R
2019-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules