Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SKYREAT FILTERS SCRATCHING THE LENS!
323081 323081 2019-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

I am quite disappointed to discover that my Skyreat 4/8/16 ND/PL filters are scratching the lens of the OP. I first saw them while cleaning the lens. I am literally a maniac with my photography gear and I always take great care when cleaning, storing or transporting any lens.

Trying to understand the causes of this, I've come to realize that while trying to get a hold on the filters or micro adjusting them while fitted (very, very gently), the aluminium frame touches the camera lens eventually damaging it. To be honest, the quality of the lens cover must be quite bad, I am not even sure if it is glass as it scratched very, very easily.

I've ordered another PolarPro set to complement my other ND/PL 32/64. This is very unfortunate and that's why you pay more for premium filters. The PP have a rubber coat on the magnetic strip to avoid precisely that.

I would suggest all of you using filter brands with exposed magnets to check that under good light.

ps. I've always been a big fan of Skyreat, this is the 1st time anything like this happens to me...
2019-2-22
Use props
Tide
Captain
South Korea

I feel the pain.
Also noticed that filter's magnet attracts fine metallic particles. It happened while shooting in metal workshop and would have been scratched lense if not noticed.
2019-2-22
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

Tide Posted at 2-22 02:29
I feel the pain.
Also noticed that filter's magnet attracts fine metallic particles. It happened while shooting in metal workshop and would have been scratched lense if not noticed.

In my case the filters are totally clean... it is just the attention to detail in combination with a poor mineral glass or plastic cover used in the OP...
2019-2-22
Use props
hedac
Second Officer
Spain

Thank you for the warning.
I think it can happen when removing the filter. I find it more difficult.
What technique do you use to remove the filter? Using the nails and push out? Pushing out only one edge and rotate?
2019-2-22
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

hedac Posted at 2-22 07:06
What technique do you use to remove the filter? Using the nails and push out? Pushing out only one edge and rotate?

I put the ND 4 filter(I don't use it)  on top of the one attached to the OP.It is easy to remove it then.
2019-2-22
Use props
hedac
Second Officer
Spain

WOLF Eagle Posted at 2-22 08:46
I put the ND 4 filter(I don't use it)  on top of the one attached to the OP.It is easy to remove it then.

Nice tip. it is good to remove them from the OP.
But then it is also difficult to separate the ND4 to the other ND. At least the OP lens is safe in that procedure ;)

2019-2-22
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

hedac Posted at 2-22 10:09
Nice tip. it is good to remove them from the OP.
But then it is also difficult to separate the ND4 to the other ND. At least the OP lens is safe in that procedure ;)

You are welcome.
2019-2-23
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

hedac Posted at 2-22 07:06
What technique do you use to remove the filter? Using the nails and push out? Pushing out only one edge and rotate?

You are welcome. Currently I try to use the polarized ones, they are easier to grab because of the grooves on the ring... normally I try to lift them with the fingernail but it isn't always working. What a pitty, I was really fond of these filters

2nd set of PolarPro arriving today so no more issues hopefully.
2019-2-25
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

WOLF Eagle Posted at 2-22 08:46
I put the ND 4 filter(I don't use it)  on top of the one attached to the OP.It is easy to remove it then.

Yeah, good idea. The only 'issues' I see is possible vignetting and obviously additional flares and unwanted reflections... but obviously anything is better that scratching the lens.
2019-2-25
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

El Diabolico Posted at 2-25 00:05
Yeah, good idea. The only 'issues' I see is possible vignetting and obviously additional flares and unwanted reflections... but obviously anything is better that scratching the lens.

Yesterday my lens got scratched by Skyreat ND filter  too. I have ordered  PolarPro filters already. I don't know how it happend. It is only in one corner but I think the quality of the OP lens glass is very bad. I'm very careful with my gear. DJI we need better lens protection.
2019-2-25
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

WOLF Eagle Posted at 2-25 02:32
Yesterday my lens got scratched by Skyreat ND filter  too. I have ordered  PolarPro filters already. I don't know how it happend. It is only in one corner but I think the quality of the OP lens glass is very bad. I'm very careful with my gear. DJI we need better lens protection.

I am sorry to hear that... Just mind it is not your fault. I am a maniac with all my gear and it still scratched. I guess more people will realise it is happening sooner or later. The problem is Skyreat is never going to accept the blame and nor is DJi going to do anything about it. It is how it is.

The funny thing is I was wondering why PolarPro is using the rubberized coating. Now we know
2019-2-25
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

El Diabolico Posted at 2-25 07:23
I am sorry to hear that... Just mind it is not your fault. I am a maniac with all my gear and it still scratched. I guess more people will realise it is happening sooner or later. The problem is Skyreat is never going to accept the blame and nor is DJi going to do anything about it. It is how it is.

The funny thing is I was wondering why PolarPro is using the rubberized coating. Now we know

Thank you
2019-2-25
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

El Diabolico Posted at 2-25 07:23

Thank you
2019-2-25
Use props
Pasod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6286 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is worrying to read and Im sorry for those who got their lenses scratched, hopefully it doesn't affect the image quality.

I've got a Freewell kit that Im planning on returning as I instead ordered a Pgytech kit of 4 filters which should arrive this week. I did consider polarpro at first but reading reviews and how these are sold/packed I instead went for the Pgytech filters.
But now Im getting a bit concerned reading how some got their lenses scratched by Skyreat and the same risk is probably there with other brands except for Polarpro who has a rubberised magnetic side.

I was thinking about different option, one was to use a fine brush and use Plastidip to create a rubber-ish surface on the magnets or alternatively cut small stripes of something like below to create a protective side, one of them is only 0.2mm thick;
StickyTapes Car Door Protection Tape
Polyethylene/Rubber 3M

The more attractive option is probably Plastidip.
Seems like there would be a market for something like an oval felt protection tape for the Osmo pocket filters, maybe someone will start making them.

What do you guys think?
2019-2-25
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

Pasod Posted at 2-25 13:43
This is worrying to read and Im sorry for those who got their lenses scratched, hopefully it doesn't affect the image quality.

I've got a Freewell kit that Im planning on returning as I instead ordered a Pgytech kit of 4 filters which should arrive this week. I did consider polarpro at first but reading reviews and how these are sold/packed I instead went for the Pgytech filters.

Hi friend, thanks for your comment.

I would skip the PlastiDip experimentation or the wait for felp solutions and pay the price difference to get the PolarPro. Please mind that I have absolutely no afiliation with the brand, it is just that IMO they are the only ones that experimented with their product and realized that the OP's lens cover is easy to scratch. I am quite disappointed at the other brands for this.

In addition ans as i wrote in another thread, The Skyreat filters aren't coated on the inside or they are single coated (can't say exactly). Bottom line, they are a pain to clean if any kind of residue attaches to the lens. That's why I would skip all experimentation, if you get any glue on the inside, good luck cleaning that...

Anyway, I am pretty sure that as complains go on we will see a revised version of many available filters. i am also expecting DJI to take some measures to address this at least for future buyers. Of course they will claim that 3d party manufacturer parts can damage the OP but I don't think their own filters have a rubber coating. Everything would have been avoided if they just used a better quality lens cover. I've never seen in +20 years of shooting any lens scratch like that...
2019-2-26
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

El Diabolico Posted at 2-26 00:53
Hi friend, thanks for your comment.

I would skip the PlastiDip experimentation or the wait for felp solutions and pay the price difference to get the PolarPro. Please mind that I have absolutely no afiliation with the brand, it is just that IMO they are the only ones that experimented with their product and realized that the OP's lens cover is easy to scratch. I am quite disappointed at the other brands for this.

I fully agree. Go for PolarPro. At the moment it's the only option you have for protecting your lens cover. My scratch is really big . It looks like the glass is broken. I wish I could easily replace the lens cover, but I think you can't do it without sending it to DJI. Thank God it's on the outside, so it doesn't affect image quality.
2019-2-26
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

Pasod Posted at 2-25 13:43

I've got a Freewell kit that Im planning on returning as I instead ordered a Pgytech kit of 4 filters which should arrive this week. I did consider polarpro at first but reading reviews and how these are sold/packed I instead went for the Pgytech filters.

You can make an oval felt protection tape yourself. I was thinking about it already 3 weeks ago before my lens cover was damaged, but I have decided to dismiss the idea then. I thought it won't happen to me.
Now I'm angry with myself. I should have listened to El Diabolico. I'm still waiting for my PolarPro filters but in the meantime I will try to make one protection tape.
2019-2-26
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

WOLF Eagle Posted at 2-26 04:07
You can make an oval felt protection tape yourself. I was thinking about it already 3 weeks ago before my lens cover was damaged, but I have decided to dismiss the idea then. I thought it won't happen to me.
Now I'm angry with myself. I should have listened to El Diabolico. I'm still waiting for my PolarPro filters but in the meantime I will try to make one protection tape.

Again Wolf, it is not your fault. That lens cover is ridiculously soft... I strongly believe it is some kind of (clear enough) plexiglass like the ones used in the the action cameras waterproof cases.

I thought about selling my Skyreat filters but eventually I cannot do it knowing the result. Perhaps the best thing to do is keep them until Skyreal issues some kind of recall. The BIG problem here is our OP resale value went suddenly down the drain

I would like an answer from a DJI rep on the material used. If it is Plexi, we could get it relatively fixed with a compound like Poliwatch that is used to polish the Hesalite crystal on the Omega Speedmaster.
2019-2-26
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

El Diabolico Posted at 2-26 07:28
Again Wolf, it is not your fault. That lens cover is ridiculously soft... I strongly believe it is some kind of (clear enough) plexiglass like the ones used in the the action cameras waterproof cases.

I thought about selling my Skyreat filters but eventually I cannot do it knowing the result. Perhaps the best thing to do is keep them until Skyreal issues some kind of recall. The BIG problem here is our OP resale value went suddenly down the drain

Thanks again. Yes I also wanna know which kind of material the lens cover is made of. DJI are you listening?
2019-2-26
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

WOLF Eagle Posted at 2-26 09:31
Thanks again. Yes I also wanna know which kind of material the lens cover is made of. DJI are you listening?

I have contacted support re replacing the scratched glass - they refuse to give me an estimated cost of replacing it, they insist that it is returned for inspection.   I believe that if you don’t go ahead with a repair, there is a labour charge to pay for inspecting.  

All I wanted was a ballpark figure, but this is aparantly not possible.  Not impressed.
2019-2-27
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I’ve emailed skyreat support about the issue - May be worth doing the same.  Support@skyreat.com
2019-2-27
Use props
S18LOK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 389577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Which set of PolarPro filter are people ordering?
2019-2-27
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

I have the sunnylife filter (no affiliation, bought it because it was cheap at the time), and it sits over and around the rim, not inside. So it makes no contact with the lens, as the lens is slightly recessed. It is also very easy to remove for the same reason. Funny enough they were trying to advertise this " no contact" design at the time but it made no sense to me. Now I know why...

I ordered the macro lens though, which sits inside. When it arrives, I am definitely going for some sort of protection. Probably plastidip...

2019-2-27
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

S18LOK Posted at 2-27 16:43
Which set of PolarPro filter are people ordering?

In my case, I started with ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL and now that the days are getting brighter and longer I ordered ND/32/PL & ND64/PL.
2019-2-27
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I've today had a very positive reply from Skyreat in relation to this issue -

"When we design, avoiding scratching the product lens is the main direction we consider, because the OP lens is so fragile, for this reason, we let the height of the magnet be slightly lower than the frame height to avoid the magnet direct contact the lens to scratch it, in addition, we also made epoxy coating on the filter magnet to avoid similar situations. In theory, our filters should not produce scratches. But it turns out that our products are not perfect, and we are very sorry for making the trouble with you !

In addition, we will consider making a rubber coating on the magnet to test whether this is feasible. "

I've today also had confirmation from DJI that should the cost of repair be considered disporportionate there will be no labour charge, just the cost of returning the device.

I think these filters will be brilliant once the design is tweaked - i have suggested a coating to the edge of the filters also.
2019-2-28
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 2-27 17:32
I have the sunnylife filter (no affiliation, bought it because it was cheap at the time), and it sits over and around the rim, not inside. So it makes no contact with the lens, as the lens is slightly recessed. It is also very easy to remove for the same reason. Funny enough they were trying to advertise this " no contact" design at the time but it made no sense to me. Now I know why...

I ordered the macro lens though, which sits inside. When it arrives, I am definitely going for some sort of protection. Probably plastidip...

Plastidip sounds like a great idea.  The wonderful think about it is how easy it is to use, and also remove if need be.

Would love to see a photo if you do add plastidip to the macro.
2019-2-28
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

urbanweb Posted at 2-28 01:25

"When we design, avoiding scratching the product lens is the main direction we consider, because the OP lens is so fragile, for this reason, we let the height of the magnet be slightly lower than the frame height to avoid the magnet direct contact the lens to scratch it, in addition, we also made epoxy coating on the filter magnet to avoid similar situations. In theory, our filters should not produce scratches. But it turns out that our products are not perfect, and we are very sorry for making the trouble with you !

Thank you. Good news!
2019-2-28
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

urbanweb Posted at 2-28 01:25

"When we design, avoiding scratching the product lens is the main direction we consider, because the OP lens is so fragile, for this reason, we let the height of the magnet be slightly lower than the frame height to avoid the magnet direct contact the lens to scratch it, in addition, we also made epoxy coating on the filter magnet to avoid similar situations. In theory, our filters should not produce scratches. But it turns out that our products are not perfect, and we are very sorry for making the trouble with you !

That would be great for the NEXt generation of filters. The ones that bought the initial batch are screwed. The magnet strip is definetely not lower than the frame, it is quite the opposite actually.

It would also be nice if DJI can make a public written statement so we proceed to change the damage OPs...

Thanks for the update anyway

2019-2-28
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Turkey

urbanweb Posted at 2-28 01:36
Plastidip sounds like a great idea.  The wonderful think about it is how easy it is to use, and also remove if need be.

Would love to see a photo if you do add plastidip to the macro.

Hopefully the lens will be here some time next week. I will post pictures as soon as I get my hands on it I also have some RTV silicone lying around, which might also be a good alternative. It is in the end super cheap in comparison (if you don't have any left over dip home)...
2019-2-28
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I’ve received confirmation from Skyreat that the design is being updated at the moment as a result of the issue, and the magnets are being changed to stop this happening.  The new versions should be available in about 2 weeks.  I  am being sent a set, and will post pics etc as soon as they arrive.  
2019-3-3
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I’ve received confirmation from Skyreat that the design is being updated at the moment as a result of the issue, and the magnets are being changed to stop this happening.  The new versions should be available in about 2 weeks.  I  am being sent a set, and will post pics etc as soon as they arrive.  A great response from Skyreat, very impressed.
2019-3-3
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

urbanweb Posted at 3-3 14:53
I’ve received confirmation from Skyreat that the design is being updated at the moment as a result of the issue, and the magnets are being changed to stop this happening.  The new versions should be available in about 2 weeks.  I  am being sent a set, and will post pics etc as soon as they arrive.  A great response from Skyreat, very impressed.

I would be 'very impressed' IF they paid for the damaged OPs... and if they replace all purchaded filter sets with new ones.
2019-3-4
Use props
hedac
Second Officer
Spain

if the scratching is done by some particles between the magnet and the lens, then it wouldn't matter if the filter is covered in silicone or anything. I guess we just have to be very careful when using the filters. That's all. It is nice that Skyreat are improving them. I regret I bought them too soon then. I don't expect them to replace our filters with the new ones but it would be awesome for their reputation ;)

2019-3-4
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

hedac Posted at 3-4 07:42
if the scratching is done by some particles between the magnet and the lens, then it wouldn't matter if the filter is covered in silicone or anything. I guess we just have to be very careful when using the filters. That's all. It is nice that Skyreat are improving them. I regret I bought them too soon then. I don't expect them to replace our filters with the new ones but it would be awesome for their reputation ;)

The scratches are caused by the filter itself. If you look carefuly or even better, pass your finger through the inside, the surfaces are uneven and quite sharp. I've never installed any filter in any of my lenses that had dirt or any kind of debris on them. I am extremely careful with my gear.

Skyreat replaced for free the Mavic 2 Filters a few months ago, I believe it is not ilogical to replace the OPs too. My problem is that I have a scratched lens BECAUSE of these filters.
2019-3-4
Use props
hedac
Second Officer
Spain

I wonder if some protective film like this would help. in the video he says it is good to use with ND filters. But maybe the ND filters will not fit in the little inset and they can fall more easily. What do you think? I think protecting the lens which is more expensive to replace is a good idea.
2019-3-7
Use props
Pasod
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This thread made me really think twice about my choice of filters to use. I first ordered Freewell filter from Amazon, hated the box so ordered pgytech which has a very nice easy to access box but before receiving them I read this thread so ended up ordering PolarPro with their rubberised back.
So now I got 3 sets of filters whereby two of them are going back to where they came from.
I was thinking of different methods of coating the other lenses or protecting the camera glass but in the end decided to just go with PolarPro, the 6 lenses standard series.
Im an absolute manic about my stuff so didn't want to play around with different options but I really feel for you guys who had to learn the hard way by getting your screens scratched and thanks to this thread I hopefully avoided getting mine scratched.

I hope skyreat will compensate you guys!
2019-3-7
Use props
Pasod
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hedac Posted at 3-7 07:30
I wonder if some protective film like this would help. in the video he says it is good to use with ND filters. But maybe the ND filters will not fit in the little inset and they can fall more easily. What do you think? I think protecting the lens which is more expensive to replace is a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzjDTkH_37k

Ive tried two different brands.. no-name brands but don't recommend it. One I tried was a flimsy plastic which kind of looked like orange skin when it was applied and the other was a "glass" (plastic) quite thick with adhesive only on the borders but filled up the inset completely making no walls for the filters so that one also came off quickly.
2019-3-7
Use props
BeterBan
Second Officer
Austria

Endless buying filters isn't a hype for me. Only ONE (rotable!) CPL filter that's enough.
It's a sunnylife, not scratching lens glass, price € 6.50

2019-3-7
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Pasod Posted at 3-7 16:05
This thread made me really think twice about my choice of filters to use. I first ordered Freewell filter from Amazon, hated the box so ordered pgytech which has a very nice easy to access box but before receiving them I read this thread so ended up ordering PolarPro with their rubberised back.
So now I got 3 sets of filters whereby two of them are going back to where they came from.
I was thinking of different methods of coating the other lenses or protecting the camera glass but in the end decided to just go with PolarPro, the 6 lenses standard series.

Yep, be careful.  Totally disproportionate cost to have the glass replaced. €173.80 including postage back to the uk.  Crazy price.
2019-3-8
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Turkey

My macro lens just arrived and I was shocked to see how small and thin it is compared to the sunnylife NDs I have (which sit outside the rim). Any rubbery coating (plastidip, RTV silicone etc.) underneath would probably make it stick out too much. The only thing I believe I can apply thin enough is clear coat nail polish.

While I am waiting for my wife to get distracted so that I can steal her nail polish; does anyone know how hard those things cure? I know it would be a much smoother finish, but would it be soft enough not to scratch the OP lens?
2019-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules