Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SKYREAT FILTERS SCRATCHING THE LENS!
6373 54 2019-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

CemAygun Posted at 3-9 01:30
My macro lens just arrived and I was shocked to see how small and thin it is compared to the sunnylife NDs I have (which sit outside the rim). Any rubbery coating (plastidip, RTV silicone etc.) underneath would probably make it stick out too much. The only thing I believe I can apply thin enough is clear coat nail polish.

While I am waiting for my wife to get distracted so that I can steal her nail polish; does anyone know how hard those things cure? I know it would be a much smoother finish, but would it be soft enough not to scratch the OP lens?

- Nail Polish is by no means soft
- You don't know if the thickness of the layer will affect the magnet's strength
- Although it doesn't react with metals and aluminium, we don't know how it will react to the anodized or powder coating (shouldn't be a problem)
- if you want to remove it or accidentaly touch the lens element you will need to use acetone or other solvent and that will certainly remove any coating(s) on the lens if not ruining it completely
2019-3-13
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

El Diabolico Posted at 3-13 00:58
- Nail Polish is by no means soft
- You don't know if the thickness of the layer will affect the magnet's strength
- Although it doesn't react with metals and aluminium, we don't know how it will react to the anodized or powder coating (shouldn't be a problem)

I 've designed an anti-scratch layer for my Skyreat filters and printed it out with a 3d printer. I've used a flexible filament. The thickness is 0.6mm. It works and I'm very happy with it. I will try to make it a little thinner though(around0.4mm) but even with 0.6mm the magnet holds the filter quite good. Now I can use my Skyreat Filters again.

2019-3-27
Use props
Sircoynie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170676 ft
United Kingdom

WOLF Eagle Posted at 3-27 13:15
I 've designed an anti-scratch layer for my Skyreat filters and printed it out with a 3d printer. I've used a flexible filament. The thickness is 0.6mm. It works and I'm very happy with it. I will try to make it a little thinner though(around0.4mm) but even with 0.6mm the magnet holds the filter quite good. Now I can use my Skyreat Filters again.

[view_image]

How about a lens foil (protector) that has a cut out over the lens part of the glass only? This would solve scratching not effect quality?
2019-3-27
Use props
The_Pedro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155292 ft
Portugal

Thank you for the warning.
2019-3-28
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

WOLF Eagle Posted at 3-27 13:15

[view_image]

That's quite cool and innovative, great job
2019-3-28
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

Sircoynie Posted at 3-27 23:52
How about a lens foil (protector) that has a cut out over the lens part of the glass only? This would solve scratching not effect quality?

It will definitely affect the image quality, quite a bit actually.
2019-3-28
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

The_Pedro Posted at 3-28 00:57
Thank you for the warning.

You are very welcome.
2019-3-28
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

El Diabolico Posted at 3-28 01:12
That's quite cool and innovative, great job

Thank you  very much!
2019-3-28
Use props
Sircoynie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 170676 ft
United Kingdom

El Diabolico Posted at 3-28 01:13
It will definitely affect the image quality, quite a bit actually.

How? Have you read my post correctly, there is no foil covering the lens just around the glass edge?
2019-3-28
Use props
CemAygun
Captain
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Sircoynie Posted at 3-27 23:52
How about a lens foil (protector) that has a cut out over the lens part of the glass only? This would solve scratching not effect quality?

After trying quite a few things, I went with the simplest solution; which is not much far from your suggestion. I used a scotch tape at the bottom of the metal frame and cut a hole for the actual glass part (which is a circle in the middle for the macro lens).

We will see how much protection it provides soon enough...
2019-3-28
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

Sircoynie Posted at 3-28 16:35
How? Have you read my post correctly, there is no foil covering the lens just around the glass edge?

I thought about your solution a long time ago already. Actually it's the simplest solition to protect your lens cover. I also got PolarPro filters so I thought it will weaken the magnetic field because of the rubber layer. That's why I thought it's better to print out an anti scratch layer with a 3d printer and a soft filament. I think your idea is the best and simplest of all.
2019-3-29
Use props
MKosmo
First Officer
United Kingdom

WOLF Eagle Posted at 3-29 03:06
I thought about your solution a long time ago already. Actually it's the simplest solition to protect your lens cover. I also got PolarPro filters so I thought it will weaken the magnetic field because of the rubber layer. That's why I thought it's better to print out an anti scratch layer with a 3d printer and a soft filament. I think your idea is the best and simplest of all.

This maybe what you are saying, but I was going to use a very thin mobile screen cover, then with a scalpel cut the exact shape of the Osmo perplex lens cover - then cut out a large enough centre hole - so the lens is not obscured at all.   Then apply this to the lens itself.

At least on the Osmo itself, you won't need to repeat for all the other filters.

As another poster above said, even thin strips of scotch tape would work - but wouldn't look quite as pretty as a clear border.

Even so, I'm tempted to return my recently purchased set - if in fact the new ones are a better design ?
2019-3-30
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

Sircoynie Posted at 3-28 16:35

Sorry, missed that part... That could be a solution if it really doesn't appear on the frame.
2019-4-1
Use props
Chxita Uri
New

Georgia

hey guys. i have freewell polarized 32 nd filter and for several days i had it on my OP while having it in the case with the filter on after some time i fount many differrnt pattern scratches on the lens some if them curving scratches some of them straight. also before that after using filter once or twice i noticed small groove on the corner of the lens. please advice something im afraid to use filter so it wont leave a scratch
2020-3-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

Chxita Uri Posted at 3-23 01:22
hey guys. i have freewell polarized 32 nd filter and for several days i had it on my OP while having it in the case with the filter on after some time i fount many differrnt pattern scratches on the lens some if them curving scratches some of them straight. also before that after using filter once or twice i noticed small groove on the corner of the lens. please advice something im afraid to use filter so it wont leave a scratch

It's something you have to weigh the benefit of using. Unless DJI make a larger front to which you could attach  a filter without touching the lens glass this will always be a possibility. Why do you think larger cameras have screw on filters? A scratch shouldn't show unless you film towards the light as it's not within the focal plane but will diffract any direct light source as opposed to reflected light. Well, at least it should be less noticeable.
2020-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules