Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can’t Unlock
2918 27 2019-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fischer Flies
  • >>>
United States

This ... is getting old. I’m at a high school, INSIDE a gymnasium, trying to demo a Spark to engineering and aviation students.  But, because we’re 4.5 miles from a Class D aiport and  the GPS signal is getting through the roof, there’s not a chance in hell I can fly.

It’s an FAA contract tower, so it doesn’t have LAANC.  No unlock option. No permission option. And best of all, when I try to request an unlock from DJI, I get told “You can’t do this from a mobile device.”

I’m a Commercial Pilot and Flight Instructor and I’m not about to risk my livelihood doing something stupid, or outside of the FARs, and yet here I sit with the equivalent of a $400 brick with flashing lights.
2019-2-22
Use props
Lysak2003
Captain
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Sad story! But... what if you install some 'Fake GPS' program on your mobile... do you understand what I mean?
2019-2-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, we're sorry to hear about the trouble. With regards to your concern. You may give a try to unlock it here it's either custom unlocking or self-unlocking https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock if ever you still encountering some problem for further Assistance, I would recommend sending an email directly to the flysafe team. The email address it flysafe@dji.com
Best regards!
2019-2-22
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Lysak2003 Posted at 2-22 09:16
Sad story! But... what if you install some 'Fake GPS' program on your mobile... do you understand what I mean?

That won't overrule the Sparks onboard NFZ data, methinks.
It just work for the app, to get FCC running.

I'd try a aluminium foil on top the birds cover, get all the brightness in the indoor location, put guards on and try to fly it without GPS but the visual sensors only.
2019-2-22
Use props
Lysak2003
Captain
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

S-e-ven Posted at 2-22 09:59
That won't overrule the Sparks onboard NFZ data, methinks.
It just work for the app, to get FCC running.

I think it worth to try with necessary precautions.
2019-2-22
Use props
ssylca44
Captain
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Lysak2003 Posted at 2-22 09:16
Sad story! But... what if you install some 'Fake GPS' program on your mobile... do you understand what I mean?

Hi, I think the GPS signal is from the AC not the mobile., one could shield the GPS signal with aluminium foil on the AC.
2019-2-22
Use props
pmshop
Captain
Flight distance : 7881391 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is something wrong here.
With all due respect, if you are who you say you are with the experience, you should know FAA regulations DO NOT APPLY indoors.
So there is no risk to your Commercial or Instructional license.

I fly within 3 miles of a class D airport regularly and all I have to do is confirm I accept responsibility - app wise.

On one occasion I have flown 1000ft away from the Class D runway at 400ft altitude (4th of July Fireworks display).
Same thing, Safety Notifications screen.
You should be seeing this:

Just note the warning box.
Pic was from a Mavic HUD

2019-2-23
Use props
snowbird pilot
Second Officer
United States

pmshop Posted at 2-23 02:01
I fly within 3 miles of a class D airport regularly and all I have to do is confirm I accept responsibility - app wise.

did you get permission?
2019-2-23
Use props
pmshop
Captain
  • >>>
United States

snowbird pilot Posted at 2-23 07:42
did you get permission?

Ah yes...every time.

And it is not "permission" you are seeking.
As a hobbyist under Section 336 (future 101E), you are just inforimg them of the flight.

There is also a helipad in close proximity.
I have a direct line to the hospital house supervisor.
I check with them to see if there is any expected medivac traffic each flight I make.
I have seen those crazy pilots...coming in at 100ft or less.
2019-2-23
Use props
snowbird pilot
Second Officer
United States

pmshop Posted at 2-23 07:47
Ah yes...every time.

what did you say to the helipad at first? call or email?
2019-2-23
Use props
snowbird pilot
Second Officer
United States

pmshop Posted at 2-23 07:47
Ah yes...every time.

also, what is up with your profile picture... is that albert eistein?
2019-2-23
Use props
pmshop
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Well, it was a collaborated effort of what we were going to do about my hobby in such close proximity to everything out here in the country.
You see, our high school and primary school underwent renovations and new construction.
Superintendent wanted me to fly the sites so the school board would not have to go out in hard hats.
I presented a video each month to the school board.
But before all this took place, I met with local EMS, FDP, PD, Hospital safety manager, Airport manager and the regional Medivac manager.
We all decided on a safety plan for me to text the airport and call the house supervisor per each flight.
the result was this:
2019-2-23
Use props
pmshop
Captain
  • >>>
United States

snowbird pilot Posted at 2-23 07:49
also, what is up with your profile picture... is that albert eistein?

That is Dr. Emmett Brown - Back to the Future
When the DeLorean he was wireless controlling slid too far.
2019-2-23
Use props
pmshop
Captain
  • >>>
United States

2019-2-23
Use props
snowbird pilot
Second Officer
United States

pmshop Posted at 2-23 07:54
Well, it was a collaborated effort of what we were going to do about my hobby in such close proximity to everything out here in the country.
You see, our high school and primary school underwent renovations and new construction.
Superintendent wanted me to fly the sites so the school board would not have to go out in hard hats.

interesting- nice youtube by the way!
2019-2-23
Use props
pmshop
Captain
  • >>>
United States

snowbird pilot Posted at 2-23 08:06
interesting- nice youtube by the way!

Thanks!
Very extensive channel - since Feb 19, 2015
2019-2-23
Use props
Fischer Flies
  • >>>
United States

pmshop Posted at 2-23 02:01
With all due respect, if you are who you say you are with the experience, you should know FAA regulations DO NOT APPLY indoors.
So there is no risk to your Commercial or Instructional license.

I don't get close to that screen...

2019-2-23
Use props
Fischer Flies
  • >>>
United States

Btw, those caps are from a different location.  They are from INSIDE my house.  And, if the maps is telling the truth, I am SUPPOSED to be able to fly...
2019-2-23
Use props
pmshop
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Fischer Flies Posted at 2-23 09:33
Btw, those caps are from a different location.  They are from INSIDE my house.  And, if the maps is telling the truth, I am SUPPOSED to be able to fly...

No, according to that pic, you are in that blue zone of the end of a runway "locked" zone.

You mind PMing me the coordinates of the gym?

I was all set and unlocked by DJI for a flight less than a mile from R19 runway at McCarran Int.
The Bellagio Fountains.
Only thing that stopped me is FAA wants part 107 pilots in Class B airspace there.
They have that in place even if you are flying as a hobbyist/ not making money.
2019-2-23
Use props
Fischer Flies
  • >>>
United States

pmshop Posted at 2-23 10:26
No, according to that pic, you are in that blue zone of the end of a runway "locked" zone.

You mind PMing me the coordinates of the gym?

That's a gray "altitude zone."  It only looks blue because the of the yellow warning zone(s).

The gym from yesterday was ONLY in a warning zone, yet I got the same "Cannot fly" messages as above.
2019-2-23
Use props
Fischer Flies
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-22 09:28
Hi there, we're sorry to hear about the trouble. With regards to your concern. You may give a try to unlock it here it's either custom unlocking or self-unlocking https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock if ever you still encountering some problem for further Assistance, I would recommend sending an email directly to the flysafe team. The email address it
Best regards!

There should be no need to unlock.  This was in yellow "warning zone."

2019-2-23
Use props
snowbird pilot
Second Officer
United States

pmshop Posted at 2-23 08:26
Thanks!
Very extensive channel - since Feb 19, 2015

by the look of the content, you should have more subs!
2019-2-23
Use props
pmshop
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Fischer Flies Posted at 2-23 11:26

[view_image]

For the Gym, you are absolutely correct.
You should be able to fly according to DJI Fly Safe.

Send that email to flysafe@dji.com
@DJI Gamora, please see what can be done as the area Fischer Flies is clear according to DJI's own maps.

Fischer, this is common for errors to be bound.
Had the same issue in my home town Class D airport  with a 1/2 mile NFZ core and a 2 mile 200ft drone ceiling from that.
Would not let me take off 3/4 mi from center.
DJI fixed it in their database...but it took a while.
2019-2-23
Use props
pmshop
Captain
  • >>>
United States

snowbird pilot Posted at 2-23 13:22
by the look of the content, you should have more subs!

Meh, I just do it for fun and to catalog my flights.
Someone wants to sub, cool.
2019-2-23
Use props
snowbird pilot
Second Officer
United States

pmshop Posted at 2-23 15:47
Meh, I just do it for fun and to catalog my flights.
Someone wants to sub, cool.

drone flying is a good hobby!
2019-2-23
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Fischer Flies Posted at 2-23 11:26

[view_image]

Ok, I see. We're sorry for the Inconvenience. May I ask have you already send an email to the fly safe team? And make sure as well you have the latest Precise Fly Safe Database. Please keep us posted. Thanks!
2019-2-25
Use props
Fischer Flies
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-25 08:15
Ok, I see. We're sorry for the Inconvenience. May I ask have you already send an email to the fly safe team? And make sure as well you have the latest Precise Fly Safe Database. Please keep us posted. Thanks!

Just to close this thread out, I worked with DJI support to find the problem:

Although I have done unlocks before, they were short duration unlocks.  But, I now have a WAA (Wide Area Authorization) around my home airport and, since that is much longer term, it stays in the "memory."  Apparently, unless you tell the app to ignore that unlock, it prohibits you from flying *anywhere* else.
2019-3-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Fischer Flies Posted at 3-1 19:45
Just to close this thread out, I worked with DJI support to find the problem:

Although I have done unlocks before, they were short duration unlocks.  But, I now have a WAA (Wide Area Authorization) around my home airport and, since that is much longer term, it stays in the "memory."  Apparently, unless you tell the app to ignore that unlock, it prohibits you from flying *anywhere* else.

Ok, thanks for the update. If you have any question or concern feel free to reach us back. Thank you for your support.
2019-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules