Indoor Flying in a Restricted Zone
6809 16 2019-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chris Spielmann
New

United States

[size=14.666666984558105px]I am an architectural photographer in the Washington DC area and have just purchased a Phantom 4 Pro to do interior fly-throughs for my architect clients. According to the FAA, interior airspace is not regulated by them and it is legal to fly within the restricted zone as long as the entire flight is indoors. But I can’t find any mode on my Phantom 4 Pro that will allow me to turn off the GPS entirely and so it won’t let me take off indoors within the Restricted Zone. How can I get this drone to fly when what I want to do is legal but the GPS is saying it is not?
2019-2-22
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

When you connect to your drone in a NFZ it should ask you if you want to override the NFZ and fly anyways. It should then ask to send you an unlock code to your device that will allow you to fly. This was my experience anyways.
2019-2-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Edited by member...

Hi - I'm 19.5 miles from the White House so I know what you mean.  

There are only two ways to fly within the DC FRZ.  One is to convince DJI that you have authorization to fly there and they will unlock your AC.  But that's impossible.  So it's best to abandon that idea.

The second way is to block the GPS antenna so that the AC doesn't know where it is located.  You can do that by taping several layers of copper foil to the roof of your P4.  Then test it to be sure the GPS cannot sense the satellites it needs.  

But there is a trick to this... because right now its last location was within the DC FRZ, right?  And it remembers.  If you block the GPS antennas, it still won't allow flight because it knows its last location did not allow flight.  So you need to out-smart it.  

So first you need to travel outside of any DJI restricted zone.  So take a little drive.  

Next start up your P4 as you normally would.  Allow it to mark a home point so you know it knows it is located in a fly safe area.  

Turn everything off.  

Go back to wherever it is you want to fly.  Block the antennas.  Start up the system.  It should allow you to fly, but you'll be flying without the aid of GPS.  It will warn you, stating same.  

This method should work for you.  Since you have no GPS, you'd want to use your various sensors to keep it from drifting into anything.  Prop guards would be a good idea.  Be wary of any air ducts, floor ducts, overhead fans, open windows, etc.  Just a tiny movement of air can cause the AC to drift dramatically and unexpectedly.  

Good luck

2019-2-22
Use props
FlyingV
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2-22 12:19
Hi - I'm 19.5 miles from the White House so I know what you mean.  

There are only two ways to fly within the DC FRZ.  One is to convince DJI that you have authorization to fly there and they will unlock your AC.  But that's impossible.  So it's best to abandon that idea.

Hello,

I am in DC as well. Were you able to find a way to fly indoors?
2019-4-16
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Hurley1718 Posted at 2-22 11:59
When you connect to your drone in a NFZ it should ask you if you want to override the NFZ and fly anyways. It should then ask to send you an unlock code to your device that will allow you to fly. This was my experience anyways.

Is that with a P4P ?
2019-4-17
Use props
MediaByMarc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 130423 ft
United States

Hurley1718 Posted at 2-22 11:59

I don't recall seeing this on P4P of Mavic Air.
2019-4-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

NFZ is usually not a good acronym to use in the forums because there are so many different zones and flying in one or the other requires different means of getting approval depending on the particular zone and also the particular AC you're using - if approval is even possible.  For example, there is no DJI approval process for flying in the DC FRZ and that's because there is no FAA approval process for flying in the DC FRZ.  See NOTAM FDC 6/2069.  

What Hurley may be referring to is flying in an "Authorization Zone" which is blue on the geo map and which requires you to assure DJI that you have specific permission to fly in that zone in which case they will grant your specific aircraft the ability to fly in the zone after you send them your AC serial number.  Obviously getting authorization requires being online and you need your AC to be on as well so it can be unlocked to fly in that zone even if it's outside of the zone at the time.  I find it easier to get the authorization in advance of the flight from my desktop at home which is then good for three days.  That way I don't need to be online when out in the field.

There's also an "enhanced warning zone."  In that particular zone, which is orange on the geo map, you will get a pop up on your Go app asking you to confirm you have authorization to fly, so if you do, you must tap on it that you do.  And you can then fly or continue to fly within that particular zone.  Being online isn't necessary.  

There are plenty of other zones as well.  Every zone has different restrictions and every AC has different zone shapes and sizes and restrictions which is why it's a good idea to plan ahead before you leave to fly.  

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

2019-4-17
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Manxmann Posted at 4-17 01:12
Is that with a P4P ?

Yes it was.
2019-4-17
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MediaByMarc Posted at 4-17 04:17
I don't recall seeing this on P4P of Mavic Air.

It was a first for me also. And the only time I've come across that message and code requirement also.
2019-4-17
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Mmmm,  I guess I have never been in a NFZ as I have never seen the prompt on my P4P+
I have a friend that lives very near an airport,  next time I go over there will take my drone & do a test -- just out of interest,  that's all.

Happy Flying  
2019-4-18
Use props
Mark Weiss
Second Officer
United States

This is why intentional crippling of a product with geofencing is a bad idea. Not suitable to task.
2019-4-18
Use props
rescuechuck
lvl.1
Flight distance : 228291 ft
United States

I  upgraded my software a couple of months ago for my Phantom 4 Pro. I used to fly at a model airport that near an airport that has been active for decades. Before the update I would get a warning that I could acknowledge and then fly. After the upgrade i get a no fly message. I have contacted DJI and the FAA to try to get this resoved but newither wants to help. Every other model aircraft hobbyist can flay there but people with too smart enabled aircraft.
2019-4-22
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 4-18 10:27
This is why intentional crippling of a product with geofencing is a bad idea. Not suitable to task.

Exactly. Too much potential for unintended consequences, as we have seen time and time again.
2019-4-22
Use props
BrianKushner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

And only getting worse..
2019-4-23
Use props
Cellblock776
lvl.2
Flight distance : 647454 ft
United States

Your mistake was purchasing a DJI product when you live or work in/near the DC restricted zone.  The software will not allow you to fly, even indoors.  A better option would have been a Yuneec H520 or maybe an Autel Evo.  
I have a coworker who was hired on subcontract to work with a company which does powerline inspections.  He uses an early P4P without the latest updates to the geofencing. He had to go to a nearby nuclear power plant where the manager wanted him to fly up next to a couple of towers, get a few photos, video and panoramas. He was able to take off, get the shots and the manager of the nuclear power plant was very please. Moreso because they had already hired another pilot who showed up with a brand new P4P and new Mavic 2, both which refused to take off due to the DJI restrictions and the pilot being unable to get them unlocked. Currently the owner of the powerline inspection business is relying on Yuneec H520 aircraft to prevent this sort of thing from happening.
If DJI won't unlock your aircraft I can only suggest that you try to block the GPS module by taping tin foil over the top of the aircraft.  This has been a workaround for some pilots who have had jobs flying at airports, power plants and other "restricted areas".  Get some aluminum foil and tape it down over the top of the aircraft and then fly in Atti mode. I have also seen an aluminum soda can cut into a square and taped to the top of a Phantom for flying at an airport. Example, go to Youtube, search for How To Fly A Phantom 4 In A No-Fly Zone on a channel by jody hayes.  He has permission from the airport to fly but his P4 wants to stop him from flying so he uses the can to block the GPS and fly in Atti mode.
Good luck/
2019-4-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

It's illegal to fly a drone in the DC FRZ.  Using a non-DJI product doesn't change that fact.  
2019-4-23
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 4-23 13:01
It's illegal to fly a drone in the DC FRZ.  Using a non-DJI product doesn't change that fact.

Not indoors.
That was the original topic.
2019-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules