1227 16 2019-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

Using some of the parts from my Osmo Mobile along with the Osmo Pocket Wireless Module, small tripod ball mount and cell phone holder I put this mini camera boom together. Fully extended, it is about 5 foot tall. I'll be trying it out at Bikeweek 2019 at Daytona Beach, FL next month.

IMG_8713.jpg

Regards,
Tom
2019-2-23
Use props
Tide
Second Officer
South Korea

It works beautifully.
2019-2-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Tom. Thank you for sharing this setup and this beautiful rig you have on your DJI Osmo Pocket. Great work and thank you for your support.
2019-2-23
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice
2019-2-24
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I did find one downside to this setup though. You can't use D-CineLike when filming at 60 fps when using the Wireless adapter.

Tom,
2019-2-24
Use props
saitron
lvl.3
Mexico

Excelente Mount! I got one similar but I use the cable here in Mexico the expansion kit hasn't arrived yet... Still waiting
IMG-20190219-WA0030.jpg
IMG_7uwldd.jpg
2019-2-24
Use props
CasualDronePilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 146135 ft
Sweden

Cool idea! Hmmm, I wonder if I can do something like that with one of my light stands. Got to try!
2019-2-24
Use props
ByteBiz
lvl.2
United States

To the original poster (@dldp-sp):
Do you have a link (or info) for the ballhead attachment to which the phone holder is attached?  Thanks in advance :-)
2019-2-25
Use props
GBT62
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10620 ft
Philippines

Back in January I covered 3 days of a local street festival here, where the crowds numbered in the millions every day.  So trying to get any shots of the street performers and procession wasn't easy given the sometimes 3 or 4 deep crowd on the sidewalks.

I struggled with a modified selfie stick, long power cord to power brick in my shoulder bag - and no phone connector to monitor the progress. What a PITA that was - specially when it often rained

So now my ordered bits have finally arrived - just a Z-axis still to come  - and then I can tidy up the boom-on-the-cheap ....

I prefer not to use the wifi module up there - specially given the sudden downpours we get ..... hence the umbrella holder as well ;)
Even the ghetto-setup-V1 worked amazingly well back in January given the circumstances

(I don't trust the weedy little screw off tripod legs the arm came with - so have mounted it on my tripd for the pic here ...)

2019-2-25
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ByteBiz Posted at 2-25 15:22
To the original poster (@dldp-sp):
Do you have a link (or info) for the ballhead attachment to which the phone holder is attached?  Thanks in advance :-)

I bought it on Amazon. Here is the description:

SIOTI Tripod Mini Ball Head Tripod Mount Head-Metal Ballhead 360° Pan 90° Tilt Tripod Mount with 1/4" Screw for Digital Camera/Compact DSLR/Cell Phone/Monopod/Gopro/Light Stand/Light House

Tom,
2019-2-26
Use props
ByteBiz
lvl.2
United States

dldp-sp Posted at 2-26 00:22
I bought it on Amazon. Here is the description:

SIOTI Tripod Mini Ball Head Tripod Mount Head-Metal Ballhead 360° Pan 90° Tilt Tripod Mount with 1/4" Screw for Digital Camera/Compact DSLR/Cell Phone/Monopod/Gopro/Light Stand/Light House

Hi Tom -

Thanks for your reply.  

Since the mount on the bottom of the ball head is female and the mount on the side of the DJI extension rod is also female, what kind of adapter do you use to connect the two?  (from the picture there appears to be a nice (almost seamless) connection between the them)  And does the adapter you use have the rosette style to match the rosette surface on the extension rod's mounting point?  

Apologize for multiple questions but I like the cleanliness of your setup and would like to be able to duplicate it.

Thanks,
Joe
2019-2-26
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ByteBiz Posted at 2-26 07:30
Hi Tom -

Thanks for your reply.  

I used a 3/4 inch set screw and tightened down into the ball head.

Regards,
Tom
2019-2-26
Use props
ByteBiz
lvl.2
United States

dldp-sp Posted at 2-26 08:40
I used a 3/4 inch set screw and tightened down into the ball head.

Regards,

Did you repurpose a set screw meant for something else or is the 3/4" set screw a common photo rig item?  If it is, do you have a link?
2019-2-26
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ByteBiz Posted at 2-26 10:23
Did you repurpose a set screw meant for something else or is the 3/4" set screw a common photo rig item?  If it is, do you have a link?

No, you can find one at a hardware store. It will have a hex key on one end for a Allen wrench. I’m at work now but I’ll take a photo of it later. Or just google “set screws”.

Tom,
2019-2-26
Use props
ByteBiz
lvl.2
United States

dldp-sp Posted at 2-26 11:01
No, you can find one at a hardware store. It will have a hex key on one end for a Allen wrench. I’m at work now but I’ll take a photo of it later. Or just google “set screws”.

Tom,

Something like this bolt?  

Also - are you using a rosette surface on either the ball head base or the extension rod side mounting point?
2019-2-26
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ByteBiz Posted at 2-26 12:42
Something like this bolt?  

Also - are you using a rosette surface on either the ball head base or the extension rod side mounting point?

Yes, that is the set screw. I didn't add anything else to either surface.

Tom,
2019-2-27
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Very nice! Great job!
2019-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules