924 6 2019-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is there a way other than manual to set the shutter speed higher for photos?  I use shutter priority on my Nikon which works well.  Is there some equivalent here?
2019-2-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. May we know what exactly shutter speed are you trying to achieve? Please let us know for further assistance. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-24
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

In shutter priority mode for Nikon DSLR models, you can set a specific shutter speed and the camera will then adjust aperture and/or ISA rating to achieve the correct exposure.  Shutter can be anything available on the camera.  You get a warning is correct exposure is not possible.

I use this often for actions shots where using 1/1000 or faster tends to freeze things better.  I also use for inside pictures to avoid slow shutter speeds less than 1/30 often.

I used the OSMO Pocket at a high school science fair, where lighting was fairly good, but the selected shutter speeds of 1/5 to about 1/12 where just too slow.  ISA was 200, so there was more range it seems.   The results were often blurry for people who were the focus of the picture.
2019-2-24
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The Nikon also have aperture priority mode and a number of different completely automatic modes.  I rarely use those and usually only programmed automatic or shutter priority.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2182571&seqNum=4

2019-2-24
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2-24 13:06
The Nikon also have aperture priority mode and a number of different completely automatic modes.  I rarely use those and usually only programmed automatic or shutter priority.

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2182571&seqNum=4

You do realise that this type of camera has a fixed aperture. The only thing it could alter would be the ISO setting which on such a small sensor is going to get noisy very quickly above ISO 400. That would make images look soft as well.  Try taking a cheap video light with you to speed up shutter times and keep the ISO values lower.
2019-2-24
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 2-24 13:28
You do realise that this type of camera has a fixed aperture. The only thing it could alter would be the ISO setting which on such a small sensor is going to get noisy very quickly above ISO 400. That would make images look soft as well.  Try taking a cheap video light with you to speed up shutter times and keep the ISO values lower.

Yes, I do.  I rather have a higher ISO value, a bit more grain, and a less shaky picture.  If I wanted to add light, I'd use the NIkon rather than the Pocket which is the size of my thumb.
2019-2-24
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

As a test, today I took a number of inside pictures in nature light, mostly just from table lamps.  I varied the shutter speed accordingly for images from a fixed table position and varied ISO from 100 to 3200.  Each had an effective ev of 0.0.  While there is more grain the darker areas of wood (at ISO 1600 and 3200), at the snapshot level all were completely acceptable.  Until you zoomed in quite far, they all looked quite good actually.

In doing this test I also found anther option for manual, shown as ISO auto,  When used, this is effectively shutter priority.  Set the shutter speed, and the Pocket will adjust the ISO as best it can to get a photo at ev 0.0.  If you set it too high, then it is underexposed, but that's easy to test for prior by watching to see when the scene goes darker and you raise the speed.  This combo works much better for indoor shots when you want higher shutter speed to stop movement by people.

2019-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules