Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How the Mavic 2 handles Very Strong Winds
25761 27 2019-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wellsi
Captain
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

The Mavic Air and the original Mavic Pro handle flying in strong winds very differently, with the Air very much better than the Pro in the default settings.
So last week when we had some very windy days, I put the Mavic 2 Pro up to see what steps it takes to handle strong winds.  

Bottom line is that it follows in the Air's footsteps and does pretty well.

This quick video explains what happens and why...

Cheers
Ian

2019-2-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's an impressive drone eh mate - I flew it the other weekend in 30MPH+ winds and it performed like it was a windless day. No drift, dead straight horizons and 20-30MPH speed maintained. The original MP would have slowed down to a hover in those winds. That's another significant improvement in the M2 that few discuss.  
2019-2-24
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
First Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2-24 01:15
It's an impressive drone eh mate - I flew it the other weekend in 30MPH+ winds and it performed like it was a windless day. No drift, dead straight horizons and 20-30MPH speed maintained. The original MP would have slowed down to a hover in those winds. That's another significant improvement in the M2 that few discuss.

I havent had the chance to rate my aircrafts max wind speed, but I remember the spark I had was able to handle 20-25 mph winds like a champ. I would find the mavic handling 30+ to be a huge step in my capabilities of flying given the many beautiful mountains in my area.
2019-2-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2-24 01:30
I havent had the chance to rate my aircrafts max wind speed, but I remember the spark I had was able to handle 20-25 mph winds like a champ. I would find the mavic handling 30+ to be a huge step in my capabilities of flying given the many beautiful mountains in my area.

The Mavic 2 Pro handles wind almost as effectively as my Inspire 1 which is amazing for it's size. The original Mavic Pro on the other hand would slow down to 3MPH in a 20MPH wind in my experience. It was the achilles heel of the MP (that and the gimbal of course which was terrible).  
2019-2-24
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Flew the M2P in very strong coastal winds (with caution)..

Rock steady, no issues.

Having said that, I'd rather not and certainly not over open water.
2019-2-24
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Great video, thanks for sharing!
2019-2-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job, I see your in Belgium again, maybe a Brussels MEP getting Brexit sorted ;+)
2019-2-24
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But the Mavic Pro with obstacle avoidance switched off performs well as Ian says at 1:25. And in sports mode it also disables OA.

So the only advantage that the Air & Mavic 2 have is that they automatically disable OA if wind strong. Which can be achieved manually on the Mavic Pro in a few seconds; something I would chose to do before take off.
2019-2-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2-24 05:07
But the Mavic Pro with obstacle avoidance switched off performs well as Ian says at 1:25. And in sports mode it also disables OA.

So the only advantage that the Air & Mavic 2 have is that they automatically disable OA if wind strong. Which can be achieved manually on the Mavic Pro in a few seconds; something I would chose to do before take off.

Only if you decide to fly every flight with OA turned off, not risking loosing signal or needing RTH .
2019-2-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great info thanks for sharing
2019-2-24
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2-24 05:24
Only if you decide to fly every flight with OA turned off, not risking loosing signal or needing RTH .

On the Mavic 2 the RTH speed is limited to 12 m/s by default which is a bit faster than the Mavic Pro @ 10 m/s.

If the concern is that with OA disabled there would be no OA during RTH, then with 'RTH Obstacle Check' activated in DJI Go 4, the OA is available for RTH even if OA is disabled initially. Or at least that's what it says on the tin :-)
2019-2-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 2-24 06:05
On the Mavic 2 the RTH speed is limited to 12 m/s by default which is a bit faster than the Mavic Pro @ 10 m/s.

If the concern is that with OA disabled there would be no OA during RTH, then with 'RTH Obstacle Check' activated in DJI Go 4, the OA is available for RTH even if OA is disabled initially. Or at least that's what it says on the tin :-)

MP RTH speed 22mph M2 RTH speed 31mph, these are speeds with OA activated, I would say that this would be the set up for the majority, there is a difference of over 30% with M2, while it would make little difference if flying VLOS because you can increase throttle speed change to sport etc, the advantage is when flying BVLOS getting disoriented that 30% extra speed can make a difference.
2019-2-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Ian. Thank you for sharing this video with us today. In addition the max wind speed resistance of the DJI Mavic 2 Pro is 29 to 38 kph. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-2-24
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
Belgium

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-24 06:44
Hello and good day Ian. Thank you for sharing this video with us today. In addition the max wind speed resistance of the DJI Mavic 2 Pro is 29 to 38 kph. Have a safe and happy flying always.

Thanks for that Stephen.  We were pretty impressed with how it handled the wind....
Cheers
Ian
2019-2-24
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
Belgium

Aardvark Posted at 2-24 05:07

So the only advantage that the Air & Mavic 2 have is that they automatically disable OA if wind strong. Which can be achieved manually on the Mavic Pro in a few seconds; something I would chose to do before take off.

True, but I think for beginners, the Mavic Pro's settings are bad as some people choose not to enable Sports Mode and they may not want to disable the collision avoidance sensors. So without realising it, they can get caught out in strong wind...
ian
2019-2-24
Use props
Lysak2003
Captain
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

AlphaFlightNW Posted at 2-24 01:30

If you talk about just flying -Spark does it well in strong wind. But did you try to shoot something in such occasion? Especially if you do some complicate movement like ‘left/right+jaw’. Trying to handle wind puffs it just moves jerky so footaje become rubbish.
2019-2-24
Use props
Franco64
Second Officer
Flight distance : 542103 ft
Italy

Very informative. Thank you Wellsi!
2019-2-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Wellsi Posted at 2-24 09:13
Thanks for that Stephen.  We were pretty impressed with how it handled the wind....
Cheers
Ian

You are very much welcome and it is always my pleasure Ian. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2019-2-24
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Great video, thanks for sharing!
2019-2-25
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wellsi Posted at 2-24 09:20
True, but I think for beginners, the Mavic Pro's settings are bad as some people choose not to enable Sports Mode and they may not want to disable the collision avoidance sensors. So without realising it, they can get caught out in strong wind...
ian

Good point.

Keep up the good work on the videos Ian, I enjoy watching. Reminds me a bit of Noel Edmonds ;-)

p.s. do you get a bung for advertising the hat, a pony or a monkey ?

2019-2-26
Use props
Hurley1718
Captain
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice informational video thanks for sharing.
2019-2-26
Use props
rawright54
First Officer
United States

Thanks, Ian! I've got the Mavic Pro Platinum, and I've been afraid to fly it for 2 years since the last time we had a windless day. Typical winds here are 12 - 18 mph, almost every day. Armed with your information, I'll definitely be giving the old bird a workout this year!
2019-2-26
Use props
DarthSLR
Captain
Flight distance : 1846716 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing your experience!
2019-2-26
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rawright54 Posted at 2-26 20:10
Thanks, Ian! I've got the Mavic Pro Platinum, and I've been afraid to fly it for 2 years since the last time we had a windless day. Typical winds here are 12 - 18 mph, almost every day. Armed with your information, I'll definitely be giving the old bird a workout this year!

Good stuff. But remember the Pro Platinum may well handle the same as the original Pro, ie very poorly until you switch off the collision avoidance sensors.
This video was made a few months ago specifically for the original Pro:

2019-2-26
Use props
Wellsi
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2-26 16:33
Good point.
p.s. do you get a bung for advertising the hat, a pony or a monkey ?

I get no bungs at all.... I'm not that famous   
2019-2-26
Use props
Roy Rogers
Captain
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Wellsi Posted at 2-26 23:45
I get no bungs at all.... I'm not that famous

Thanks for posting this . it is very informative
2019-2-28
Use props
jonathonjfowlergmail.com
Flight distance : 461001 ft
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2019-2-24 01:15

Few discuss it because few choose to fly when the wind is above 20mph.
2020-6-3
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jonathonjfowlergmail.com Posted at 6-3 00:30
Few discuss it because few choose to fly when the wind is above 20mph.

I've seen many people fly in fresh breezes and gusts over the years and people lose their original Mavic's because it couldn't fight the wind effectively. Wind speeds can also unexpectedly pick up during flight - a 10MPH wind at ground level can easily turn into 30MPH+ at 400' AGL a mile away. Wind speed (and direction) is not constant and it's great to see the modern Mavic's are better designed to handle it.
2020-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules