Phantom 4 Pro+ V2.0- Allowing access to RTH altitude
1082 10 2019-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GomerMarine
lvl.2
United States

Is there a way to lower the altitude of the drone while it is in RTH. I have mine set to 40m (above all trees in my area). Sometime while flying, I dont realize that i increased my elevation. So when I place it in RTH, it will return without ever adjusting the altitude down but instead stay at the highter altitude. I would think it if goes up to set height that it would go down to set height. Any suggestions if this is possible or if DJI is going to update firmware for this feature.
2019-2-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We will forward this query to our designated department for further clarification. Please hit "Reply" if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-25
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

You can always cancel RTH when you get signal back.  Otherwise you wouldn't need to . IMHO
2019-2-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The only advantage in lowering the altitude would be to help combat a strong headwind on the return flight. Otherwise, lowering altitude only consumes battery power, and that could make the difference between getting your aircraft back or not. More aircraft are lost on RTH due to not have enough altitude, rather than the opposite. A higher return altitude is also better if the aircraft needs to avoid an object on its way home.
2019-2-25
Use props
GomerMarine
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2-25 15:20
The only advantage in lowering the altitude would be to help combat a strong headwind on the return flight. Otherwise, lowering altitude only consumes battery power, and that could make the difference between getting your aircraft back or not. More aircraft are lost on RTH due to not have enough altitude, rather than the opposite. A higher return altitude is also better if the aircraft needs to avoid an object on its way home.

thanks for the information and reply. Yes, the main reason is for wind but also for the convenience of it flying smoothly straight home while  I record. I have my RTH height already set to a certain height to avoid any items in my area. This request is more so of a convenience not a necessity.  As for consuming battery, that may be true as i have not tested that theory yet but wouldnt think it would take that long to lower to set height. Either way, thanks for the reply and welcome all suggestions.  I am new to the drone world. I have been flying class 50 helicopters for about 10 years. So the software/tech side is new to me but not the flying.
2019-2-26
Use props
GomerMarine
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2-25 13:34
You can always cancel RTH when you get signal back.  Otherwise you wouldn't need to . IMHO

understood, I just like to use the RTH from time to time. It is more of a personal preference. Just seems this is a add step in the program that is not needed. Kinda like the camera being locked out in RTH (not needed). But thank you for the reply, always eager to hear responses and suggestions.
2019-2-26
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

If you are keen on having the drone fly back at your set RTH altitude:
Lower it just below that altitude and then hit RTH. It will go slightly up and sail happily home :-)
2019-2-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Gomer,

You suggestion for a firmware update will probably not be done because there is good reason for maintaining the altitude where RTH was engaged or communication lost.  Your suggestion is more of a use like Intelligent Flight Modes, in particular, CourseLock or HomeLock.  There you can make altitude adjustments and lock or free-up the camera tilt and Phantom YAW.  Your Phantom has a lot of talent!

The DJI web site has many videos on Intelligent Flight Modes.  You may want to look at them.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-27
Use props
GomerMarine
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2-27 00:59
Aloha Gomer,

You suggestion for a firmware update will probably not be done because there is good reason for maintaining the altitude where RTH was engaged or communication lost.  Your suggestion is more of a use like Intelligent Flight Modes, in particular, CourseLock or HomeLock.  There you can make altitude adjustments and lock or free-up the camera tilt and Phantom YAW.  Your Phantom has a lot of talent!

thank you for the information. I will definitely look into this. Appreciate the help
2019-2-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GomerMarine Posted at 2-27 08:53
thank you for the information. I will definitely look into this. Appreciate the help

Do you know that you can use your left stick during RTH to adjust altitude yourself?
2019-2-27
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-27 13:51
Do you know that you can use your left stick during RTH to adjust altitude yourself?

Aloha Labroides,

BTW, on this option, is there an issue with altitude changes within 60 feet of the Home Point?  I seem to remember a warning about a landing being affected somehow unless you take over or something.

Hell, I have to learn more than I forget just to stay ahead of the curve!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules