Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Firmware update is a f... joke
2292 23 2019-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pelikansalat
lvl.1
Germany

I've just spent one hour to download a 34.5 MB firmware update for my Mavic 2 Pro remote and now I am trying to update the drone itself. The best part about it is that the download speed is 600 kbit/s (!) and it takes minutes to even reach 1%. In the meanwhile, the battery of the Mavic 2 Pro gets empty and the whole f... download is thrown away and starts again at 0% when I change to a new battery. Is this a joke? I would understand if you were a small company selling drones for $49 but seriously?! You can't afford a CDN? I am using the Windows software by the way because with the DJI app for Android I get a network connection error right away.
2019-2-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we do apologize for the troubles that it caused when updating the firmware. The firmware update would take approximately, 15 minutes for updating the aircraft and remote controller, however, that process would still depend on the internet connection. Please try to check if our internet connection is working fine as well. Kindly keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you for continued support.
2019-2-25
Use props
pelikansalat
lvl.1
Germany

My Internet connection is fine, here's a screenshot of the last 100 seconds downloading the firmware and notice the kbit/s scale on the left:

And this is from a speedtest I just did that took only a couple of seconds and gave me 320 mbit/s:

2019-2-25
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I had the same issue.  Downloads coming in at kilobits speeds  It was DJIs end not the local end.
It kept timing out, draining batteries and ultimately took me 48hrs of trying to get the thing downloaded.
And the only reason i had to use assistant in the first place is DJI broke the firmware update on android at the time of the M2 release and have no interest in fixing it.

They dont have proper CDNs (hell they dont even have signed device drivers).  They also left their private SSL keys online and accessible to all a while ago.  Its a 1/10 for IT security and infrastructure.
2019-2-25
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Dude its still broke on android side i had to update on assistant....but yea thats a joke
2019-2-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

One thing you guys might try is changing your DNS servers.   
Seen problems streaming videos because local LAN was using DNS public servers which were picking video servers in wrong area of country.  During certain times of day, one of network hops along path to video servers was over-loaded.  Switching to ISP's DNS server resulted in using video servers in differant area.  Even though ISP's DNS servers were slower at responding to DNS requests, the ISP's server was picking servers closer to location of LAN.

If your DNS servers are set to couple of common Public DNS servers, trying changing them to your ISP's DNS servers.
If your DNS servers are set to your ISP's DNS servers, try changing them to couple of common Public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 is Googles).
2019-2-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2-25 19:07
I had the same issue.  Downloads coming in at kilobits speeds  It was DJIs end not the local end.
It kept timing out, draining batteries and ultimately took me 48hrs of trying to get the thing downloaded.
And the only reason i had to use assistant in the first place is DJI broke the firmware update on android at the time of the M2 release and have no interest in fixing it.

That is what I have found in past.  Still worth seeing if changing DNS servers will result in DJI Downloads going to DJI servers located in different region.

2019-2-25
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've taken a year off from DJI due to security and policy issues.  Just received a M2P today.  Wondering if I made a mistake coming back.  
2019-2-28
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

The Roach Posted at 2-28 11:14
I've taken a year off from DJI due to security and policy issues.  Just received a M2P today.  Wondering if I made a mistake coming back.

If it works fine out of the box, don't update anything...
2019-2-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The Roach Posted at 2-28 11:14

It’s great to see you back M2P , you made the right choice .
2019-2-28
Use props
Paul_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4472 ft
United States

I have always downloaded to pc and used assistant to push it to the M2P. Never an issue doing it that way.
2019-2-28
Use props
pelikansalat
lvl.1
Germany

How did you download to PC?
2019-2-28
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

I've always updated my drones without any issues... using iPhones.
2019-3-1
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Flycaster Posted at 2-28 11:20
If it works fine out of the box, don't update anything...

Not true. The introduced updates have improved the M2P in many ways, side sensors and precision just to name a few.
2019-3-1
Use props
Paul_
lvl.4
United States

pelikansalat Posted at 2-28 12:25
How did you download to PC?

Check out the following DJI video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZE-fP28htI&t=13s
2019-3-1
Use props
pelikansalat
lvl.1
Germany

Ah, well yeah, that is using the Assistant and has the problem I described. I have to connect the drone for it to work and since the drone is only powered via battery, there comes the time when the battery is drained, the drone is disconnected from the PC and the download stops. So not much of a help there.
2019-3-1
Use props
pelikansalat
lvl.1
Germany

By the way, I managed to update the firmware via my Android smartphone. It took only five hours, two batteries and me having to hit "Retry" every now and then because of network issues, but eventually it worked because unlike the PC assistant, the smartphone App is able to resume downloads.
2019-3-1
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Smells like big firewall of China!
2019-3-1
Use props
Paul_
lvl.4
United States

pelikansalat Posted at 3-1 02:06
By the way, I managed to update the firmware via my Android smartphone. It took only five hours, two batteries and me having to hit "Retry" every now and then because of network issues, but eventually it worked because unlike the PC assistant, the smartphone App is able to resume downloads.

Glad you were able to update, but you seem to have missed a point. You can download the update to pc without the Mavic being on, then push it to the Mavic after it is downloaded.
2019-3-1
Use props
DCSmith
lvl.2
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2019-2-25 20:24
One thing you guys might try is changing your DNS servers.   
Seen problems streaming videos because local LAN was using DNS public servers which were picking video servers in wrong area of country.  During certain times of day, one of network hops along path to video servers was over-loaded.  Switching to ISP's DNS server resulted in using video servers in differant area.  Even though ISP's DNS servers were slower at responding to DNS requests, the ISP's server was picking servers closer to location of LAN.

Adding the second DNS Server address (8.8.8.8) to my router fixed my problem.

I had to do this with an older ASUS Router back in August of 2019.  I upgraded that Router this past February.  Same problem popped up.  Fortunately I had save my email exchanges with DJI and found my old solution.  It worked again.
2020-5-14
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never had a problem, I use assistant on my pc. Never failed me, 10 to 20 minutes job done. UK.
2020-5-14
Use props
Mavic57pro2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never had a problem, I use assistant on my pc. Never failed me, 10 to 20 minutes job done. UK.
2020-5-14
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

Didn't expirience it either, ... but I'm using the Cloudflare DNS servers, 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1
2020-5-16
Use props
KDP +
lvl.4
Flight distance : 947930 ft
Belgium

Hello pelikansalat,
Just for interest... which firmware are you downloading now ?  Which versions for drone and for controller ?

Best regards,

KDP
2020-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules