Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic air Gone Mad
603 12 2019-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TimK1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 71975 ft
United Kingdom

Hi.

Took mavic air out today, not been out for some time and was going to do a fly by of a nearby build. However the display suddenly came up with "Max Motor Speed reached" and went mental (see video below). After a massive panic, thinking it was going to crash, it came back under control and I flew it back towards me.  Only to find it did the same thing again. It righted itself and I was able to land it much to my relief.

I was only perhaps 50-100m away and it wasn’t windy or cold. Any thoughts?

Regards

Tim

2019-2-25
Use props
3BEPb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Obvious compass interference.  Also check how many GPS sats got locked in.
Probably all those metal fences or maybe there are reinforced concrete foundation
2019-2-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hello and good day TimK1. I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Mavic Air. Can you please try to check if the firmware of the said drone is up to date. I will be posting a link where in you can find the most recent firmware for the DJI Mavic Air https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads. Please check as well if the compass of the drone needs to be calibrated. As 3BEPb said on post #2 there could be interference found on the area where you flew your drone. Try to fly your drone on a different location to see if the issue will still persist. Please give us an update on the said issue. Thank you.
2019-2-25
Use props
snowbird pilot
Second Officer
United States

it really did go crazy- possible metal interference
2019-2-25
Use props
Jannistmb
First Officer
Flight distance : 516161 ft
  • >>>
Germany

One of the reasons i gived back my mavic air a lot of interference and huge signal issues this is a drone for 200 meters maximum.
2019-2-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 4797602 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have now read a few of these cases, and the one thing they have in common is they have been left idle for some time.
Maybe a FW refresh, followed by RC calibration, IMU calibration and gimbal calibration, I don’t know why this is happening, but doing all of above won’t do any harm.

Is your FW up to date ?
2019-2-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 3648750 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you done an IMU calibration
2019-2-25
Use props
NickLiUpair
lvl.2
United States

please keep us posted.
2019-2-25
Use props
TimK1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi everyone

Thanks for the tips will try the calibration out. I am on latest firmware .500 (I think is latest).

I have noticed the past few times I get it out it ALWAYS wants to calibrate the compass. Which it did this time too. This seemed to work but perhaps not this time as by the mad behaviour.

I have had no issues previously and flown over 1500m from the RC with no issues.

Will do some more testing and report back. BTW is there a way to force a firmware upgrade?

Thanks

Tim
2019-2-26
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 1549747 ft
Netherlands

Hi Tim,

If you like post your flightlog on here, using >  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Flightlog may reveal what is the cause of this behaviour.

cheers
JJB
2019-2-26
Use props
TimK1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I've used the link to create a verbose CSV file which I have zipped and uploaded - this is all very new to me so any help interpreting the logs appreciated.

I have also done an IMU calibration and will go and try a flight again tomorrow.

Thanks all

DJIFlightRecord_2019-02-25_[16-40-10]-TxtLogToCsv.csv.zip

78.43 KB, Down times: 1

FlightLog

2019-2-26
Use props
LLopes
lvl.1
Flight distance : 113629 ft
Brazil

Maybe it was because of magnetic intereference from the wires/construction side?
2019-2-26
Use props
TimK1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

So no idea what was really wrong.  Did an IMU calibration, also replaced my propellers as they have been unchanged for about 12 months.  

Did the same run again and this time everything was fine, and there was even a fairly moderate wind too.  

So all good, thanks for all of your suggestions.
2019-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules