Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
compass calibration *SOLVED*
1735 14 2019-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Edward J Smith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew my P4P 2 days ago and all was well. Today I went to do some more flying and for the first time in over a year I get a compass error. So I go threw the steps to calibrate it, the app tells me calibration complete but still a compass error. I recalibrate it 3 more times in different areas with no success. I go into the go4 app and check the sensor state and it shows compass #2 is good and in use but compass #1 it says it is disconnected and grayed out. How does it just get disconnected sitting in a case for two nights? Any ideas before I have to send it off to DJI for repair?

aaahhh!!!!

2019-2-25
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

Hello Edward J Smith !

you are near your vehicle?

Is it the same area that you usually fly?
2019-2-25
Use props
Edward J Smith
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

It is where I fly all the time. While doing the 4 calibrations the closest I was to any metal that I could see was 30 feet away and yes it was my car.
2019-2-25
Use props
CHASCOADMIN
Second Officer
United States

It happens. Make sure to turn everything off, move and try again. Sometimes you get in a bad area and there's nothing you can do about it. In the past I have had to go as far as going to another spot all together to takeoff and fly into the subject area.
2019-2-25
Use props
Edward J Smith
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

What really bothers me it that it says compass #1 is disconnected.
2019-2-25
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

If you are in the same area, I would try something, turn on your devices again and wait a few minutes even if the calibration is required, wait until the AC auto-calibrate ITSELF ,  away from your vehicle ... or smart watch ...
2019-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Many people here don't understand what a compass error is or what a compass calibration does.
Usually a compass error is a perfectly good compass warning you of a nearby magnetic field.
In that case calibrating the compass won't do anything to fix the problem (because there's nothing wrong with the compass.
Occasionally you'll get a problem where a compass is disconnected and it brings up a compass error.
Again, recalibrating won't reconnect the compass.
That's not what compass calibration does.
Calibration doesn't "fix" anything despite the common belief here.
2019-2-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

If compass 2 is showing normal results and compass 1 is showing disconnected then you most likely have a fault in your drone most likely a broken or loose wire/connection i would not attempt to fly at all untill repaired by qualified technician in your area.
2019-2-26
Use props
Manxmann
Captain
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

Edward J Smith Posted at 2-25 23:45
What really bothers me it that it says compass #1 is disconnected.

Please keep us updated eh ?
Cheers & Best of Luck
2019-2-26
Use props
Edward J Smith
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Back in the first part of January I had the lower shell replaced because of stress cracks, I wonder if maybe one of the leads can loose.
2019-2-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Edward J Smith. I am sorry to know that you are having this issue with the compass of your DJI Phantom 4 Pro.  Can you please calibrate your drone's compass once again. I will be provideing you an official DJI Tutorial Video on how to calibrate the compass of your drone properly and let me also provide you additional requirements for proper compass calibration. Do not calibrate your compass where there is a chance of strong magnetic interference, such as magnetite, parking structures, or steel reinforcements underground. Do not carry ferromagnetic materials with you during calibration, such as keys or cellular phones. Do not calibrate beside large metal objects. I hope these helps. Thank you.

2019-2-26
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Post # 8 is spot on.
2019-2-26
Use props
Edward J Smith
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Took it in to DJI Colorado and they found that a lead for compass #1 had come off, and admitted it might not have been attached well enough when they replaced the bottom shell back in January . So off I go to get her.
2019-3-15
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Captain
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Edward J Smith Posted at 3-15 11:12
Took it in to DJI Colorado and they found that a lead for compass #1 had come off, and admitted it might not have been attached well enough when they replaced the bottom shell back in January . So off I go to get her.

I have 2 Phantom 4's and one of them has some stress cracks. Makes me nervous to have the shell replaced now. Hopefully if I send it to DJI they will give me a refurbished one instead.
2019-3-15
Use props
Edward J Smith
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 3-15 11:17
I have 2 Phantom 4's and one of them has some stress cracks. Makes me nervous to have the shell replaced now. Hopefully if I send it to DJI they will give me a refurbished one instead.

That is usally what happens, is they send another drone, not newer or better just another.
2019-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules