Active Tracking target is too high in the frame
5728 21 2019-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BearBait
lvl.2
United States

Hello. I've run into an issue whenever I use active tracking. The gimble moves to track the target, but it keeps the target all the way at the top of the frame. For instance, if I target my daughter as she walks around, she will always be at the top of the frame with a lot of empty space below. Sometimes she is so far up that it cuts off her head.

Is there a way to adjust this? I'd like the tracked target to be in the center of the frame.
2019-2-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day BearBait. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the ActiveTrack function of your DJI Osmo Pocket. Can you please post some sample footage for us to check and for us to help you further. In addition let me post an official DJI Tutorial Video on how to properly use the DJI Osmo Pocket's ActiveTrack. PLease keep us posted on the said situation. For us to help you further. Thank you.

2019-2-26
Use props
BearBait
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 2-26 14:58
Hello and good day BearBait. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with the ActiveTrack function of your DJI Osmo Pocket. Can you please post some sample footage for us to check and for us to help you further. In addition let me post an official DJI Tutorial Video on how to properly use the DJI Osmo Pocket's ActiveTrack. PLease keep us posted on the said situation. For us to help you further. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvt6mmdV5Nk

Hello. Thanks for the video but I already know how to activate the active tracking. All the videos that I have are of my kids, which I don't want to upload. I will try to film some additional stuff, but in the meantime could you please let me know whether it is possible to adjust where the tracked target appears in the frame? That would answer my question.
Thank you.
2019-2-26
Use props
BearBait
lvl.2
United States

Here is a link to the vid:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwzxvjox6zso0j3/DJI_0267.MP4?dl=0

I followed the instructions in the video that you provided. I was using camera only without phone. I double tapped and the camera confirmed that active tracking was on.
I have tried moving the frame up manually but the gimble just keeps readjusting to keep the target high in the frame. Everything I've tried results in this type of tracking. I'm thinking that I should just return this, unless anyone has some advice.

Thanks.
2019-3-3
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

BearBait Posted at 3-3 14:39
Here is a link to the vid:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwzxvjox6zso0j3/DJI_0267.MP4?dl=0

Did you see the green bracket around her head in the screen?
2019-3-4
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

are you using the mimo app or double tapping in osmo pocket directly? in my case it centers the green square track to the middle of the video frame. Sometimes it is good but sometimes I would prefer that the green square would maintain its position relative to the video frame.

2019-3-4
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Did you try adjusting tilt with the slider on the right of the pocket screen?
2019-3-4
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure you are on the newest firmware, it corrected the ActiveTrack a bit.
2019-3-5
Use props
BearBait
lvl.2
Canada

hedac Posted at 3-4 08:53
are you using the mimo app or double tapping in osmo pocket directly? in my case it centers the green square track to the middle of the video frame. Sometimes it is good but sometimes I would prefer that the green square would maintain its position relative to the video frame.

I was not using my phone or app, so I double tapped on screen directly. The green box always appears but it seems to always lock onto the legs.
2019-3-5
Use props
BearBait
lvl.2
Canada

fansfe82067d Posted at 3-4 13:36
Did you try adjusting tilt with the slider on the right of the pocket screen?

I always recenter before locking on the active tracking.

I did not try adjusting tilt because that is not a step in the manual or the instructional videos. If manual tilt adjustments are needed than "active tracking" isn't really a viable feature.

Edit: I went and tried with the tilt adjust and it did center but then slowly moved to top of screen.

2019-3-5
Use props
BearBait
lvl.2
Canada

Wiz33 Posted at 3-4 08:42
Did you see the green bracket around her head in the screen?

I was using active tracking rather than face tracking because the face tracking gets lost as soon the child moves her head. The green active tracking bracket does appear when I double click on screen.
2019-3-5
Use props
BearBait
lvl.2
Canada

KerryG Posted at 3-5 10:46
Make sure you are on the newest firmware, it corrected the ActiveTrack a bit.

I am on v1.04(17239). There doesn't seem to be a way to manually force a firmware download. No automatic firmware notice comes onto my phone during startup, so per the firmware instructional video its all up-to-date.
2019-3-5
Use props
BearBait
lvl.2
Canada

Anybody else have any advice? My return period is up tomorrow so I'd like to figure out whether this is a defective unit or whether I have some settings wrong.
2019-3-6
Use props
Hi I have a similar issue and it always when tracking girls with longish hair. Looking for a solution to this as well
2019-7-29
Use props
jpbluzharp3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 290712 ft

I have the same problem when trying to vlog with the Osmo Pocket. While it does track my face, it’s framing is simply too high. An example.

https://youtu.be/3qYOMbIrsgU
2019-9-24
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer

Just a thought, is it because the target tracked is too close ?   Ie maybe the algorithm is designed for a certain distance away so that the face is tracked but it also gets the whole body in picture ?
2019-9-24
Use props
hook-airs
lvl.1

United States

I am having an issue with the active track re-centering the track target despite my moving it to where I want the track point to be in frame using the one screen joystick.  Can't figure out why it does that but it's not subtle, it just suddenly quickly readjusts to center the track target.  Super frustrating.  This feature is almost great and yet over 2 years later it's still wonky on the Osmo Pocket.
2022-1-2
Use props
BearBait
lvl.2
United States

hook-airs Posted at 1-2 13:35
I am having an issue with the active track re-centering the track target despite my moving it to where I want the track point to be in frame using the one screen joystick.  Can't figure out why it does that but it's not subtle, it just suddenly quickly readjusts to center the track target.  Super frustrating.  This feature is almost great and yet over 2 years later it's still wonky on the Osmo Pocket.

I ended up exchange in mine and the new unit did not do the same mistake.
2022-1-2
Use props
hook-airs
lvl.1

United States

BearBait Posted at 1-2 14:55

I wish I could exchange mine but I'm well past the time period I could do that in.  For the most part this thing is awesome and tracking wasn't something I ever really noticed any issues with until a recent use case where I found myself needing it to track and object but keep it in the lower 1/3 of frame for the composition I needed.

And it literally is 100% fine for about 2 minutes when it just suddenly decides to center the tracked object.

It makes me sad as I assume the Pocket is now basically an abandoned orphan as far as software support is concerned from DJI.
2022-1-2
Use props
G-SAX
lvl.1
Switzerland

same here - dji 2022 om5 - no chance! i return the om5. problem may be that dji mimo app doesn’t provide an option to fix the tracked face in the UPPER THIRD!
2022-3-28
Use props
TWStories
lvl.3

Canada

This is the single thing that bothers me with active track with the DJI.  Surely they can easily fix this with software update....
2022-3-31
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

BearBait Posted at 1-2 14:55

Glad to hear your problem was solved. :-)

As for your earlier question of being able to manually force the firmware update, there seems to be a way of updating the firmware using PC. There is some discussion about it at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=245622

So you could ask there for more in case you need to do it in the future.
2022-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules