Self Unlocking Problems with Crystal Sky Controller
5038 39 2019-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DwainC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2023196 ft
United States

Recently just purchased two Phantom 4 Pro V2 with Crystal Sky Controllers. Have completed all recommended updates and Self Unlock feature still doesn't work. Very Frustrating DJI!!!
I followed all the steps for self unlock, was in an area that I am authorized to fly in. LAANC Grid area and still nothing. Spent 3k plus for 2 aircraft that I cannot use even tho I am licensed and authorized to do so!

Has any one else experienced this issue with the built in crystal sky controllers? Doing an unlock for an area for only 3 days at a time is unacceptable and not a solution. An area that I flew in constantly before with my since deceased P4 without issues.

Anyone???  
2019-2-27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the Inconvenience. With regards to that, we highly suggest reaching out directly the fly safe team for them to provide the possible resolution. You may just send an email here flysafe@dji.com
Best Regards!
2019-2-27
Use props
DwainC
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-27 11:58
Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the Inconvenience. With regards to that, we highly suggest reaching out directly the fly safe team for them to provide the possible resolution. You may just send an email here  
Best Regards!

We’ve reached out to the Flysafe Team and they suggest that we submit for an unlock code every time we want to fly that expires in 72 hours. This is NOT acceptable! 3k $$$ for two aircraft that won’t fly.
2019-2-27
Use props
mycypher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 682215 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know this isn't an answer to your question but - Where did you manage to grab 2 P4P v2s???
2019-2-28
Use props
DwainC
lvl.1
United States

mycypher Posted at 2-28 14:43
I know this isn't an answer to your question but - Where did you manage to grab 2 P4P v2s???

We picked them up from Adorama
2019-2-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DwainC Posted at 2-28 18:47
We picked them up from Adorama

Aloha Dwain,

Are you talking about the P4 Pro V2 + (plus)?  This one has a built in display that is only based on the CrystalSky 5.5 inch display.  It does not have a CrystalSky Controller (it only looks like it might have a Crystal Sky Controller).

The P4 Pro V2+ and the P4 Pro V2 with mounted CrystalSky Monitors are very different systems.  The CrystalSky Monitors come in two sizes, 5.5 and 7.85 inches.  

If you can fill us in about what type of the P4 Pro V2, it will help to resolve your problem.  However, your issue might be solved with a refresh of the app and the firmware but for us to help further, you will have to fill us in on what type of P4 Pro V2 you are flying.  BTW, you know what method you used to update your system, so you can try the refresh while you share the other information with us.  If it works, you get in the air sooner!

Weekend is coming, so hopefully, you will have some time.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-1
Use props
DwainC
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-1 00:23
Aloha Dwain,

Are you talking about the P4 Pro V2 + (plus)?  This one has a built in display that is only based on the CrystalSky 5.5 inch display.  It does not have a CrystalSky Controller (it only looks like it might have a Crystal Sky Controller).

Phantom 4 Pro V2 Plus. Have already gone through the the entire refresh of software and firmware. Cannot turn off GeoZones. DJI Assistant 2. Phantom 4pro plus does not disclose that there are built in limitations with the Plus Models.
2019-3-1
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DwainC Posted at 3-1 08:31
Phantom 4 Pro V2 Plus. Have already gone through the the entire refresh of software and firmware. Cannot turn off GeoZones. DJI Assistant 2. Phantom 4pro plus does not disclose that there are built in limitations with the Plus Models.

Aloha Dwain,

Have you done a full refresh, including a reload of DJI GO 4?

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-2
Use props
DwainC
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-2 11:18
Aloha Dwain,

Have you done a full refresh, including a reload of DJI GO 4?

I’m not sure what you may have missed from my last post.
2019-3-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DwainC Posted at 3-2 19:53
I’m not sure what you may have missed from my last post.

Aloha Dwain,

So what security issue is blocking you?  Are you within five miles of an airfield?  BTW, your P4 Pro V2 will fly just fine if you go to an area without security issues.  So, it is not the P4 Pro V2 that is the problem, it is the location you are trying to fly from and/or into.

Spending $100,000 will still not get you in the air if you are in a security zone.  Has the security been increased since you last flew there?  Have you gotten in the air yet?  The 72 hour code indicates you are using a computer or device to schedule flights because you will not be flying in an area with WiFi where you can Live Self-Unlock for 24 hours.  

Have you contacted DJI so you can get your specific problems addressed?  If DJI cannot help you, have you applied to the FAA for a waiver to fly in the requested airspace at the requested time?  There are limits to what you can do with drones in the US and those limitations have only gotten more restrictive.   Your P4 may have been able to fly, but a new purchase may not be able to fly because of new technology and increased restrictions.

The best thing you can probably do here on this Forum is point out where you are trying to fly and we can look into it and assist you if possible.  Without knowing where you are and what you are trying to do, we can do very little to help you.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-2
Use props
DwainC
lvl.1
United States

Sorry I don’t mean to be rude. However, apparently you haven’t read my previous posts. I’m part 107 licensed. It doesn’t matter that I’m within 5 miles of an airport. I am NOT a recreational/hobbyist pilot. I am not a newbie! Furthermore it shouldn’t matter 1 iota that I’m close to an airport in a controlled airspace that has LAANC. The FAA says I can fly I should be able to fly the drone. However the problem is with DJI Phantom P4PV2 not allowing take off in a LAANC Authorized controlled Delta airspace to 100’AGL.

To make it simple for you here’s a street address
1101 Troost Kansas City Missouri. The airspace at this location should be flyable to 100’AGL with LAANC Authorization. I Should be able to Self Unlock the Controller and I cant! Going through the Flysafe Website every time I need to fly for work is not an option!

THIS IS A PROBLEM !!!!
2019-3-3
Use props
fansaafd02d1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 593537 ft
United States

Dwain,

I had the same problem on Amelia Island in Florida last month. It has a small airport, but it is not controlled airspace. I am a 107 pilot, so no LAANC authorization is required. However, even though the FAA does not feel it needs to be restricted, DJI apparently decided it should be restricted in the vicinity of the airport. They require that those areas be unlocked. Sound simples and it is if you use iOS. However, I have a Crystalsky. It seems that those areas can be unlocked if you are using Apple products, but not DJI. It has nothing to do with FAA authorization. I communicated multiple times with DJI, but we did not come up with a permanent solution. The only solution we came up with was to unlock the area and start the drone with an iPhone and then switch the usb cables and connect to the Crystalsky. I was able to get a custom unlock which is good for a year. That is better than the three day self-unlock. Unfortunately, I have to do the switch cable routine with every battery change. I was using a Mavic 2 Pro in Florida. I have a Phanton 4Pro 2.0, but I did not have it with me. I have never had a P4P+ and I don’t have a smart controller for the Mavic. It probably isn’t possible to start with an iOS product for those drones. I was only in Florida for a couple of weeks, so I did not continue to pursue the issue. I agree that it is unacceptable for DJI to lock areas that the FAA allows and then not figure out how to unlock those areas with the Crystalsky. It doesn’t matter if you have LAANC authorization, call the tower or even get authorization directly from the FAA. DJI will not let you fly with that equipment.

Bob
2019-3-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DwainC Posted at 3-3 07:06
Sorry I don’t mean to be rude. However, apparently you haven’t read my previous posts. I’m part 107 licensed. It doesn’t matter that I’m within 5 miles of an airport. I am NOT a recreational/hobbyist pilot. I am not a newbie! Furthermore it shouldn’t matter 1 iota that I’m close to an airport in a controlled airspace that has LAANC. The FAA says I can fly I should be able to fly the drone. However the problem is with DJI Phantom P4PV2 not allowing take off in a LAANC Authorized controlled Delta airspace to 100’AGL.

Aloha Dwain,

Yes, now this is the kind of information we need to see if we can help.  You appear to be at the Greyhound Bus Station and that is something of a problem 2 miles North, North West of you.  It would have been better to have had the information from Post #11 in the first third or quarter of this thread.

I see from Post #3 that you have sent an email to flysafe@dji.com.  You appear to have been greatly offended that the expensive new technology has met with stronger restrictions.  From my experience on this Forum, anyone who reacts to any DJI related problem like an insulted or offended customer usually gets nowhere.  They can vent, but it usually turns off DJI cooperation.  When was the last time you contacted FlySafe?

These restrictions should not be taken personally, they have been applied across the board at specific technology levels as the technology has been developed and DJI has been pressed to implement more and more limitations.  Your reaction usually determines how hard it is to work through these problems with DJI, if it can happen at all.  

It appears that you may have to fly with the new restrictions that you have bought into with your new purchase, so prepare yourself for that contingency.  But, if the limitation has an administrative work-around, you might be able to patiently deal with the problem professionally.  DJI does work closely with the FAA when administering their Geo Zones.  If you find the three day window to be problematic for physical reasons, as opposed to convenience reasons, and LAANC is available as you indicate, you may be able to enlist FAA assistance in your professional discussions with DJI's FlySafe Team.  

FAA assistance will most likely be limited to copies of the authorizations you have already mentioned and maybe some others.  But, if you can figure out who you can get at the FAA to assist you, you might be able to get a letter to DJI from someone in the FAA to supplement your effort.  

Look into getting a waiver from the FAA.  Now that is a professionally demanding process.  In fact, you might be able to get a waiver for your flights and that authorization would be very helpful.  The FAA web site has a list of common waiver requests.  Your earlier comments indicate that you should be able to get a waiver easily.

Having your Part 107 Certificate is helpful with this problem but it only opens some doors.  To open other doors, you will still have to use the professional approach demonstrating clear and patient knowledge of the system.

If your problem is purely a matter of convenience, you may still have to wait months to over a year for DJI to modify the Geo Zones software and that is if the fix has to be made that way.  DJI has come under a lot of pressure to help deal with the onslaught of drones in our airspace.  There are now more drones in our airspace than all other aircraft combined.

Just because your old P4 could bypass some limitations, it will not get you "Grandfathered" in with the newer technology.  The world is rapidly changing for our airspace and the way drones fit into that environment.  Good luck with your effort.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-4
Use props
DwainC
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-4 03:07
Aloha Dwain,

Yes, now this is the kind of information we need to see if we can help.  You appear to be at the Greyhound Bus Station and that is something of a problem 2 miles North, North West of you.  It would have been better to have had the information from Post #11 in the first third or quarter of this thread.

Cetacean, Look while I appreciate the attempt, you are NOT helping.
Unless you work for DJI, are part of the FlySafe team, are part of the Application Team overseeing API development  or are a Forum Administrator; Your Lecture on professional conduct is unwelcome and only exacerbates the problem.
Unless you can offer a timely viable and workable  permanent solution the meets the needs of licensed professionals then you are only going to hinder the process. Ie. You’re not helping even tho you think you are.
I am aware of and understand the regulatory Framework that DJI must adhere to so you’re not offering me any information that I do not know. Again, Cetacean you are exacerbating the problem.

So I will tell you this just in case it wasn’t perfectly clear from the get go. There is a problem with the software API. Even with a full refresh on the Plus Controller there is  definitive, consistent problem with the API not functioning like it should. Is that clear enough?
2019-3-4
Use props
fansaafd02d1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 593537 ft
United States

Below is a copy of a comment I left on a YouTube video a couple of weeks ago on the DroningON channel. I think there is a misunderstanding of the problem in some of the discussion. It is not an FAA problem. It is a DJI problem. For example, if the state (FAA) said the speed limit was 70 miles per hour, but the car manufacturer (DJIj  limited the speed to 50 miles per hour, you could only go 50 miles per hour. The state would not be able to increase your speed. Only the car manufacturer could do it. Same thing with the FAA and DJI. Only DJI can fix the problem with the Crystalsky version of the Go4 app so that it recognizes when a geofenced area has been unlocked. They apparently have made it work with the iOS version because I used it, but they have not made it work with the  modified Android version in Crystalsky. Until they do, there will be a lot of frustrated users that have a Crystalsky version of their product.

(YouTube posting)
While I don’t have a problem with geofencing of controlled airspace as a concept, I have a problem with how it is being done by DJI. I was recently on a Florida island with a small non-towered airport. It is not controlled airspace. However, DJI has geofencing in various areas around it and you cannot fly without unlocking the restriction. As a 107 pilot, I should not have to unlock class G airspace to fly the drone. My experience with the LAANC system has been good. Using AirMap to get immediate and simple LAANC authorization I can fly within the stated altitude limitations in controlled airspace, but it is more difficult to have DJI unlock airspace that is not even controlled. The unlocking procedure is not overly difficult, but it adds another step to being able to fly. Also, you can not unlock it in the field without using a cell phone as the monitor. An iPad will not work even if tethered to a phone. Otherwise, you have to unlock the area with an internet connection before you go out to fly. However, my biggest problem is that I use a Crystalsky and the unlocking does not work with it even if done in advance. I spent a lot of time communicating with DJI to try to get it to work. They were actually very responsive, but they have not come up with a fix. I ultimately had to start the drone and remote controller using my iPhone that had been unlocked and then switching cables to the Crystalsky. I even had to use that process every time I changed batteries. It should not be that hard to use their flagship expensive tablet. At least I had a drone that could also use an iPhone. I am not sure if you could fly in those locations at all with a P4P+ or the new smart controller. I guess I thought the FAA controlled where we could fly, not DJI. DJI should only geofence controlled airspace and provide a simple procedure for unlocking that syncs with the LAANC authorization. They should also spend more time working on Crystalsky software so it is as good as the iOS version and also can be used in unlocked space without the current ridiculous procedure.  Very frustrating.
2019-3-4
Use props
DwainC
lvl.1
United States

Fansaafd, I wouldn’t disagree that there was some misunderstanding. That’s why I didn’t flame the individual, and well the Forum decorum rules :-).
Besides the API issues; is the absolute LACK of Disclosure of the limitation ie transparency. DJI needs to decide whether or not they’re going to serve licensed professionals or the hobbyists. Differentiate between the two and not temporary 72 hour workarounds which is neither time sensitive for the working professional nor easy to do.
2019-3-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DwainC Posted at 3-4 05:47
Cetacean, Look while I appreciate the attempt, you are NOT helping.
Unless you work for DJI, are part of the FlySafe team, are part of the Application Team overseeing API development  or are a Forum Administrator; Your Lecture on professional conduct is unwelcome and only exacerbates the problem.
Unless you can offer a timely viable and workable  permanent solution the meets the needs of licensed professionals then you are only going to hinder the process. Ie. You’re not helping even tho you think you are.

Aloha Dwain,

Apparently I have not been clear enough.  Good luck.  With your approach, you are doomed to failure.  Be sure to PM me in the very unlikely chance that you might succeed.  I would like to be proven wrong.

We have had many on this Forum who have used your approach and they have all failed miserably.  Just telling you like it is but I cannot make you listen.  Fansaafd is giving you a good perspective but you may both want to know that the DJI GO 4 software for the P4 Pro+ and the CrystalSky are different versions of the Android operating system.

Improved convenience for a niche user is not a motivator for DJI.  If you do not like the policy, go to another company.  And BTW, you have already agreed to arbitration rather than a lawsuit or class action.  And it is obvious from a legal point of view that the arbitrator would agree with DJI.  You have dealt yourself a bad hand.  Convenience is a planning requirement of the user, not a motivator of a product and service provider that has 70 percent of the market.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-5
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fansaafd02d1 Posted at 3-4 06:50
Below is a copy of a comment I left on a YouTube video a couple of weeks ago on the DroningON channel. I think there is a misunderstanding of the problem in some of the discussion. It is not an FAA problem. It is a DJI problem. For example, if the state (FAA) said the speed limit was 70 miles per hour, but the car manufacturer (DJIj  limited the speed to 50 miles per hour, you could only go 50 miles per hour. The state would not be able to increase your speed. Only the car manufacturer could do it. Same thing with the FAA and DJI. Only DJI can fix the problem with the Crystalsky version of the Go4 app so that it recognizes when a geofenced area has been unlocked. They apparently have made it work with the iOS version because I used it, but they have not made it work with the  modified Android version in Crystalsky. Until they do, there will be a lot of frustrated users that have a Crystalsky version of their product.

(YouTube posting)

Aloha fansaafd,

Mahalo for trying to help with this issue.  Maybe you can have more luck than I have.  As I note in my last post to Dwain, the DJIGO4 app in the P4 Pro V2+ and the CrystalSky are different and use different versions of the Android operating system from each other and other tablets.  That is part of his problem.

BTW, after reading your posts, it occurs to me that you may want to look at an adapter that DJI sells for $29 for the CrystalSky mount (and Cendence).  The adapter allows you to swap out a tablet for the CrystalSky and vice verse quickly.  It is a real timesaver and product manager.

https://store.dji.com/product/cendence-mobile-device-holder

I have one and it may help you in the chaotic environment of a field operation.  Good price to.

Mahalo for making your points in this discussion.  I have a friend who is the drone operator for an engineering company over here and his situation may end up being similar to yours since he is flying with the CrystalSky, not the P4 Pro V2+.  Your suggestions to Dwain may help him in an upcoming project flying very close to the Dan Inouye International Airport (HNL).  That will be fun, so I hope your suggestions will work!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-5
Use props
DwainC
lvl.1
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-5 04:00
Aloha fansaafd,

Mahalo for trying to help with this issue.  Maybe you can have more luck than I have.  As I note in my last post to Dwain, the DJIGO4 app in the P4 Pro V2+ and the CrystalSky are different and use different versions of the Android operating system from each other and other tablets.  That is part of his problem.

Cetacean, Please, just Please go away.
Stay out of this thread!
Your attempt to derail the conversation about a very provable software/API issue as if there’s nothing wrong well it’s laughable and doesn’t contribute.

First and foremost, at no place in my posts was any mention of a lawsuit. To be absolutely clear YOU are the only person who mentions lawsuit. You are the only person who mentions an arbitration clause.

Secondly, it’s abundantly clear at this point that you may have some reading comprehension deficits. Fansaafd “did not” agree with you. Quite to the contrary. His post highlights a very serious problem between the product and professional users. Not “niche” users as YOU put it.

Please just butt out of this thread!

2019-3-5
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DwainC Posted at 3-5 05:43
Stay out of this thread!
Your attempt to derail the conversation about a very provable software/API issue as if there’s nothing wrong well it’s laughable and doesn’t contribute.

Aloha Dwain,

You do not seem to read much.  Otherwise you would realize you are a day late and a dollar short.  Sorry I could not help you understand the way things are.  You are now acting in the confused way others, who in the past on this Forum, tried to tell DJI how to run their operation do when they get between the rock and the hard place like you have fallen.

And where do you get the idea that I said Fansaafd "agreed with me".  Now you are putting words in my mouth for your convenience (Hmm).  It would not be the right thing to say because you and Fansaafd have similar problems with different equipment that as I said use different versions of DJI GO 4 and the Android operating system.  That is what the others have tried on this Forum in the past when they have fallen like you have.  Just give up and live with it.  Save yourself some heartbreak.  DJI will not comply with your request for more convenience.

BTW, the lawsuit, class action and arbitration comment is because that is the next step you were going to take in this discussion (others in your position have tried).  So I tried to help you understand you have no leg to stand on.  You have to accept the way things are and hope someone else can make a drone that gives you what you want because DJI will not comply with your convenience arguments that evolve into demands.

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-5
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Stay out of this thread!

You are one rude POS. People are trying to help you and you come up with this crap.  C. A. B.
2019-3-5
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
United States

Stay out of this thread!

You are one rude POS. People are trying to help you and you come up with this crap.  C. A. B.
2019-3-5
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
United States

Grumpy D Posted at 3-5 14:30

Do I need to say it again?
2019-3-5
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
United States

Grumpy D Posted at 3-5 14:30

2019-3-5
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Grumpy D Posted at 3-5 14:31

Al;oha Grumpy,

You so grumpy!  Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-5
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-5 14:35
Al;oha Grumpy,

You so grumpy!  Mahalo!

I try
2019-3-5
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 3-5 03:31
Aloha Dwain,

Apparently I have not been clear enough.  Good luck.  With your approach, you are doomed to failure.  Be sure to PM me in the very unlikely chance that you might succeed.  I would like to be proven wrong.

Thank you. You are very tactful.  I wish I had your tact, me, a RICHARD is a RICHARD. The OP is a RICHARD.
2019-3-5
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Grumpy D Posted at 3-5 14:58
Thank you. You are very tactful.  I wish I had your tact, me, a RICHARD is a RICHARD. The OP is a RICHARD.

Aloha Grumpy,

As you say, "I try!"

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-5
Use props
fans2fb3650d
lvl.1

United States

I have a new Mavic2 Pro with a 7.85 Crystalsky. I spent hours trying to unlock the airspace and all I get is NFZ. I have flown my Inspire many times in the same location without any problems. Anyone that try’s to school me in FAA and airport procedures stay away.
2019-4-13
Use props
fans2fb3650d
lvl.1

United States

I have a new Mavic2 Pro with a 7.85 Crystalsky. I spent hours trying to unlock the airspace and all I get is NFZ. I have flown my Inspire many times in the same location without any problems. Anyone that try’s to school me in FAA and airport procedures stay away.
2019-4-13
Use props
fans2fb3650d
lvl.1

United States

DwainC Posted at 3-3 07:06

I have a new Mavic 2 with a 7.85 Crystalsky and have the same problem. I also hate newbies trying to school me about airspace and my DJI drones.  $1000 monitor and it grounds my Mavic2.
2019-4-13
Use props
fans2fb3650d
lvl.1

United States

fansaafd02d1 Posted at 3-3 19:25
Dwain,

I had the same problem on Amelia Island in Florida last month. It has a small airport, but it is not controlled airspace. I am a 107 pilot, so no LAANC authorization is required. However, even though the FAA does not feel it needs to be restricted, DJI apparently decided it should be restricted in the vicinity of the airport. They require that those areas be unlocked. Sound simples and it is if you use iOS. However, I have a Crystalsky. It seems that those areas can be unlocked if you are using Apple products, but not DJI. It has nothing to do with FAA authorization. I communicated multiple times with DJI, but we did not come up with a permanent solution. The only solution we came up with was to unlock the area and start the drone with an iPhone and then switch the usb cables and connect to the Crystalsky. I was able to get a custom unlock which is good for a year. That is better than the three day self-unlock. Unfortunately, I have to do the switch cable routine with every battery change. I was using a Mavic 2 Pro in Florida. I have a Phanton 4Pro 2.0, but I did not have it with me. I have never had a P4P+ and I don’t have a smart controller for the Mavic. It probably isn’t possible to start with an iOS product for those drones. I was only in Florida for a couple of weeks, so I did not continue to pursue the issue. I agree that it is unacceptable for DJI to lock areas that the FAA allows and then not figure out how to unlock those areas with the Crystalsky. It doesn’t matter if you have LAANC authorization, call the tower or even get authorization directly from the FAA. DJI will not let you fly with that equipment.

Same problem with CS and my mavic2.
2019-4-13
Use props
djiuser_lOlFK6x3VV0f
lvl.2
United States

I had the same issue two days ago. I have the Phantom V2.0 and I bought (separately) the Crystal Sky Monitor. I also own a Mavic Air that I control with an Apple IPAD. I plan to go bakc to that spot and try with that drone when the weather lets me.
2019-4-25
Use props
djiuser_lOlFK6x3VV0f
lvl.2
United States

I had the same issue two days ago. I have the Phantom V2.0 and I bought (separately) the Crystal Sky Monitor. I also own a Mavic Air that I control with an Apple IPAD. I plan to go bakc to that spot and try with that drone when the weather lets me.
2019-4-25
Use props
djiuser_954yxKEWtSZZ
New

United States

DwainC   I have had the same problems with my P4P+ (I don't know if it's a V 2.0). I can no longer fly in areas that I used to, even though I'm FAA certified and utilize LAANC. I've called or emailed DJI over 25+ times to no avail.  I get the same gibberish that the "Aloha" guy is posting on this thread. Great machines, but horrible support.
2019-6-26
Use props
G37 Mavic Pro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49741 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing.
2019-8-2
Use props
fans6d23cce0
lvl.1
United States

fansaafd02d1 Posted at 2019-3-3 19:25
Dwain,

I had the same problem on Amelia Island in Florida last month. It has a small airport, but it is not controlled airspace. I am a 107 pilot, so no LAANC authorization is required. However, even though the FAA does not feel it needs to be restricted, DJI apparently decided it should be restricted in the vicinity of the airport. They require that those areas be unlocked. Sound simples and it is if you use iOS. However, I have a Crystalsky. It seems that those areas can be unlocked if you are using Apple products, but not DJI. It has nothing to do with FAA authorization. I communicated multiple times with DJI, but we did not come up with a permanent solution. The only solution we came up with was to unlock the area and start the drone with an iPhone and then switch the usb cables and connect to the Crystalsky. I was able to get a custom unlock which is good for a year. That is better than the three day self-unlock. Unfortunately, I have to do the switch cable routine with every battery change. I was using a Mavic 2 Pro in Florida. I have a Phanton 4Pro 2.0, but I did not have it with me. I have never had a P4P+ and I don’t have a smart controller for the Mavic. It probably isn’t possible to start with an iOS product for those drones. I was only in Florida for a couple of weeks, so I did not continue to pursue the issue. I agree that it is unacceptable for DJI to lock areas that the FAA allows and then not figure out how to unlock those areas with the Crystalsky. It doesn’t matter if you have LAANC authorization, call the tower or even get authorization directly from the FAA. DJI will not let you fly with that equipment.

As recent as today, I received LAANC authorization to fly up to 200’ on the outskirts of a Class D airspace. I applied for and received DJI authorization and an unlock code for the same airspace. I went to the site, but was unable to unlock using my DJI CrystalSky. No problem unlocking using my iPhone.  WTF, DJI?
2020-9-7
Use props
djiuser_boEKvKslBULj
New

Singapore

I was recently given a Crystalsky unit, I fly a MP2 and MP, with my phone(Huawei)... I can unlock the height restrictions that I currently have Activity permits for in Singapore. When using the crystalsky, the Unlocking fails. I tried unlocking first on my phone then switching to the CS but the restrictions showed up on the CS as soon as it connected.  I am happy that I got the CS for free because it is a hindrance at the moment.
2021-1-30
Use props
GMTMT FILMS
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Mavic Pro 2 with 5.5 inch Crystal Sky.

I know this conversation is a few years old, but I am experiencing this problem in Australia. I am RePL and ReOC qualified, so it bugs me that I need to have this problem too.
Knowing I was needing to fly in a blue zone (uncontrolled airport) I did the unlocking beforehand but when I went to the location, I couldn't see the unlocking licence on the CS. And I obviously couldn't take off.

What did I do? Followed the onscreen instructions.

Connected to the internet
Selected the blue zone
Waited for my text message - non came through. I'm still waiting for it.

The next time I tried, I got the text message code, typed it in, but the keyboard was in the way of the onscreen "submit" button. So, I couldn't send the code to get unlocked.

Really frustrating. And I don't want to have to carry another device to unlock it all first and then reconnect to CS. It just shouldn't be this hard.
2022-5-26
Use props
fans3dcd62b9
lvl.2

United States

I just ran into this problem today myself.  I love the Crystal Sky but spent an hour on location trying to unlock it.  Luckily I had my 2nd Mavic 2 Pro kit/controller and flew it with no problem after receiving an unlock to it.  Does anyone have an easy workaround?
2023-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules