ND Filter Choice - Poll
1335 20 2019-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flyingcougar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 654528 ft
United States

I am planning on purchasing a PolarPro mix & match set of 4 ND filters to start off with for my M2Z. My terrestrial video/photography experience pretty much limited to smart phone use, so I'm turning to the good members here for some advice.:-) I thought a poll the best way to keep track of recommendations.

A little location background information:
I will shoot mainly in higher elevations, I live at 5000 feet.
Very extense sunlight is normal. Videos/photos will be shot in semi-arid and forest areas.
Not a lot but some water.

Thanks for any advice and your participation!

Multiple choiceVote: ( Up to 4 entry optional ), Total 34 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

3.30% (3)
6.59% (6)
10.99% (10)
12.09% (11)
12.09% (11)
13.19% (12)
10.99% (10)
10.99% (10)
6.59% (6)
5.49% (5)
7.69% (7)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2019-2-28
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
United States

Sorry Flyingcougar... I voted for what I like to shoot.

PL, I find are good around water/reflective areas. If you're not doing much of that, you may want a mix of nonPL and PL. If you are shooting under intense light, then maybe 32/64 are better for you.

Get a few more votes in and opinions, and see what others like to shoot.

Happy flying!
2019-2-28
Use props
Flyingcougar
lvl.4
United States

Doc Ozzy Posted at 2-28 13:09
Sorry Flyingcougar... I voted for what I like to shoot.

PL, I find are good around water/reflective areas. If you're not doing much of that, you may want a mix of nonPL and PL. If you are shooting under intense light, then maybe 32/64 are better for you.

Thanks Doc! No need to be sorry, that's the user experience i'm looking for.

I don't mind paying for high quality filters, I just don't want to end up with a box full of unused ones! I realize there will still be some trial and error, hopefully this will steer me toward the general right direction.
2019-2-28
Use props
Banjo Norfolk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49921 ft
United Kingdom

I clicked forget filters so I could see the results , I need some some too and have no idea what to get
2019-2-28
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

ND 8 and 16 standard, and 64 PL,. That is what I find I use the most. The 64 might as well be a PL as you would most probably need it for longer exposures. The 8 and 16 for video.
That said, I have a standard circular polarizer on that I only remove when I need the other filters. I use it the most.
2019-2-28
Use props
Flyingcougar
lvl.4
United States

Banjo Norfolk Posted at 2-28 19:49
I clicked forget filters so I could see the results , I need some some too and have no idea what to get

Hey no problem if this helps us both and more, all the better!

It does look like the polarized versions are winning and I hadn't expected that.
2019-2-28
Use props
Flyingcougar
lvl.4
United States

Charissa Posted at 2-28 21:21
ND 8 and 16 standard, and 64 PL,. That is what I find I use the most. The 64 might as well be a PL as you would most probably need it for longer exposures. The 8 and 16 for video.
That said, I have a standard circular polarizer on that I only remove when I need the other filters. I use it the most.

Hi Charissa, that's very good information and thank you for your input!
2019-2-28
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Flyingcougar Posted at 2-28 21:31
Hi Charissa, that's very good information and thank you for your input!

I use the 128 from Freewellgear a lot for long exposure water images as well. Just a thought.
2019-2-28
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-2-28
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

I would go with 2, 3, 4 and 5 f-stops ND filters without the polarization.
Not sure who even invented that one f-stop one.... it's totally meh!
2019-3-1
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

You can just calculate what ND filters you need for yourself.
2019-3-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I started using circular polarisers from polar pro (mixed with ND's - vivid collection) and they work for me.
2019-3-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

16/32/64 all ND , I find CP just to fiddly for drones and the polarization has no effect unless you are 90 degrees to the Sun or Maybe it’s directly behind you so just find them to gimmicky.
2019-3-1
Use props
Flyingcougar
lvl.4
United States

Brett Brandon Posted at 2-28 22:15
I'm a photographer and got my M2P mostly for that.
First, you don't have a plain PL (no ND) listed which is what is on the camera most of the time. I have the PolarPros and the PL's have a mark on the filter ring to show where the polarization is at. If I'm not using it to reduce reflections on water, glass, ect, I leave the mark at 12 o'clock as it reduces stray light and helps saturate colors. For photos I just use the Polarizer as the ND's would be more for special effect use.
For video (which I am not a video person), I have found the "4" value rather worthless. Typical use would be 8 ND/PL and 16 ND/PL. For bright snowy scene 32 ND/PL or 64 ND/PL which I don't have...

Thank you Brett! Very useful information.
2019-3-1
Use props
Flyingcougar
lvl.4
United States

A CW Posted at 3-1 07:30
I started using circular polarisers from polar pro (mixed with ND's - vivid collection) and they work for me.

Thanks A CW!
2019-3-1
Use props
Flyingcougar
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-1 11:58
16/32/64 all ND , I find CP just to fiddly for drones and the polarization has no effect unless you are 90 degrees to the Sun or Maybe it’s directly behind you so just find them to gimmicky.

Thanks EyeSkYeYe and hallmark007! The split between ND and ND/PL is interesting. It looks like I may have to splurge for the 6-pack and try them both for myself.
2019-3-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No worries mate
2019-3-2
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-3-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Flyingcougar. Thank you for reaching out and for creating this poll.  I hope you'll get the best information and recommendations here from our valued DJI Members and Customers on what ND filter they use and there insight on this matter. Thank you for your support.
2019-3-2
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Brett Brandon Posted at 3-2 06:19
You are welcome.
One more thing, I don't know if you have heard but the general consensus here is stopping down the aperture past about 5 causes softness in the image.

Every lens will soften wide open or closed.
2019-3-3
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

2019-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules