4524 28 2019-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gmuran
lvl.2
Flight distance : 238586 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi All.  I had my Spark fly away today and could not recover it from the 'find my drone' feature.
From take off with GPS I was flying upward in 'Sport Mode', to get some height. Whilst hovering I got a magnetic interference message, then GPS failed, RTH failed and the drone flying away from me in the wrong direction at high speed. This happened before but the drone can still be manually controlled. In this instance, it did not come back and the aircraft fully disconnected. i waited until the battery would be dead and it had not come back.  I looked for an hour but it was a wooded area and quite thick and swampy.

Is there a way to get flight data from my phone as all the tutorials I see in the support section require connecting the drone. Thanks for any assistance in advance.

2019-3-1
Use props
sigsparky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1755 ft

Netherlands

Start loosing my trust in the Spark every day a little more.
So many connection problems with this model.
DJI has a lot of homework to do , they must solve this big issue.
2019-3-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. With regards to that, we would recommend reaching out one of our support channels in order for them to guide you and have a data analysis as well this may vary if your Aircraft still under the warranty, you may just go to this link https://www.dji.com/support About the flight record please sync the flight record to the cloud for you to have at least the back up, you can get as well the flight record from your device
For Android device, connect your mobile device to the PC and open the folder, then you can access the flight record in this route: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord
For iOS device, you can connect the mobile device to PC, launch iTunes, find the flight records in the DJI GO 4 app, and copy the FlightRecord folder to the computer.
Only iOS devices have the flight record CSV files, if you need the CSV file, launch iTunes, find the DJI GO 4 app, then Documents, Export Works, ExportFlightRecords. Hope it helps.
Best Regards!
2019-3-1
Use props
weseli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38402 ft

Serbia

When i read this, sometimes i am scared to fly with spark
2019-3-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Sorry to hear that!

Was it windy?
-"Whilst hovering I got a magnetic interference message, then GPS failed, RTH failed and the drone flying away from me in the wrong direction at high speed."-

The "interference" most likely 's a "compass failure" (Sport and wind seems to push that), the GPS failure IS a "feature", if compass fails, GPS is not used anylonger.
And the flying away from you was, perhaps just blown with the wind.
In ATTI (no GPS) YOU need to  make all the right move for the bird, which usually the IMU is doing.

As it seems to happen in the beginning of the flight, with a full battery, there is a range to cover/calculate, how far it could have been blown away.
If blown away!
It can be that you gave the input with the right stick, not knowing which direction the bird was pointing.

Follow the instructions on here:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

And hope that one of the flight log gurus in here can tell you more about.
There is a change, to get you pretty close to your bird.
Or tell you, at which obstacle you may have to check the grounds!

2019-3-1
Use props
sigsparky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1755 ft

Netherlands

weseli Posted at 3-1 14:42
When i read this, sometimes i am scared to fly with spark

That's really crazy, we should enjoy flying the Soark instead of being afraid for it.
Also takes a lot of time finding out what went wrong everytime.
Maybe DJI can pay us money for doing this research
2019-3-1
Use props
djiuser_pQdIRCmgBuO0
lvl.4
Netherlands

Flying the spark for over a year now. I never had any problems.
2019-3-2
Use props
gmuran
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ireland

S-e-ven Posted at 3-1 17:48
Sorry to hear that!

Was it windy?

It was not windy at all. Like 12KM/hour.  The behavior is fly away at high speed in the wrong direction.  Away from the home point. Thanks
2019-3-2
Use props
gmuran
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ireland

S-e-ven Posted at 3-1 17:48
Sorry to hear that!

Was it windy?

It was not windy at all. Like 12KM/hour.  The behavior is fly away at high speed in the wrong direction.  Away from the home point. Thanks
2019-3-2
Use props
gmuran
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI Gamora Posted at 3-1 14:41
Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to hear about the trouble. With regards to that, we would recommend reaching out one of our support channels in order for them to guide you and have a data analysis as well this may vary if your Aircraft still under the warranty, you may just go to this link https://www.dji.com/support About the flight record please sync the flight record to the cloud for you to have at least the back up, you can get as well the flight record from your device
For Android device, connect your mobile device to the PC and open the folder, then you can access the flight record in this route: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/FlightRecord
For iOS device, you can connect the mobile device to PC, launch iTunes, find the flight records in the DJI GO 4 app, and copy the FlightRecord folder to the computer.

Thanks I've reached out to support
2019-3-2
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

gmuran Posted at 3-2 01:04

Hi Gmuran,

You felt it was not windy at ground level. 20m or more above ground the wind is a totally different story,  way stronger. Beginner pilots often overlook this.
It seems your Spark suffered a IMU failure, which manifests itself by compass errors, GPS signal loss and yaw errors. Your Spark dropped to ATTI mode. It happens frequently.
According to DJI you are now supposed to pilot your Spark home, which is not easy to do with a bird that small.
DJI should definitely replace your Spark. And then, do some ATTI mode training to be prepared when it  happens again: https://forum.dji.com/thread-173114-1-1.html
Have you marked your Spark with name/address/phone# ?
May be somebody finds it and is honest enough to return it to you.

2019-3-2
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

Had compass and gps failure once. Was pretty far away and couldn't really see the orientation of the drone, so I used the screen to point it back toward me and shoved the stick forward. A few seconds later it sorted itself out, but I flew home and re calibrated the compass, though I don't think I needed to. Fortunately it wasn't very windy.
2019-3-2
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

gmuran Posted at 3-2 01:04

As said before, the wind on the ground is much different than up in the air.
This video I flew a home made hexacopter during Hurricane Harvey.
Ground wind speed was about 20Km/h but according to UAV Forecast (an app I use) winds were 65Km/h at just 45m

2019-3-2
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

that is a bummmer- hope you figure it out
2019-3-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

gmuran Posted at 3-2 01:05
Thanks I've reached out to support

Thank you for the update. If you have any question or concern feel free to reach us back. Thanks!
2019-3-4
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Could you upload log as S-e-ven said and share the link with us?
2019-3-4
Use props
gmuran
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ireland

Thanks I have attached the files which I sent to DJI support, who are helping.

DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-01_[08-36-42].zip

515.28 KB, Down times: 7

2019-3-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi gmuran,

Had a look at your flight.

If you post the right flightlog for this flight than your Spark autolanded close to home!

What happend:
at 38 seconds Spark into ATTI, distance from home 0.3 meter, height 61 meter
  in ATTI no yawing heading home with fwd pitch, so Spark drifted on the wind....
at 1m 26 seconds lost conenction in ATTI, height 98 meter, distance from home 115 meter.

In ATTI without connection drone starts to autoland, wich i did beacuse next recorded height is 47 meters

at 2m 26 connection back there, and ATTI mode changed into GOHOME. great Spark does its job RTH!
RTH heading correct, so distance is decreasing from 183 meters to 148 meters

at 2m 29 RTH was cancelled by you. Spark did not hold position in P-GPS mode, due to errors.
After while i did hold postion, so distance remains about 130 meter.

At 3m2s again RTH, initiated by you. This at 95 meter height, 130 meters out.
At 3m9s RTH cancelled beacuse Spark back into ATTI, this at 77 meters out.
At 3m15s again RTH by user, 64 meters out
At 3m44 Spark into autolanding at homepoint. (landed at 4m47s)

In the log many errors ; yaw, speed and compass errors.

Hope you can find it, must be close to home!

cheers
JJB

analysis1.png
analysis2.png
analysis3.png
analysis4.png
2019-3-5
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to know that
2019-3-6
Use props
gmuran
lvl.2
  • >>>
Ireland

JJB* Posted at 3-5 07:57
Hi gmuran,

Had a look at your flight.

Thank you so much for taking a look at this. Firstly, I was on vacation and the place is 5 hours away so I won't be able to recover the drone. it was quite an open area that I took off from so I don't think the drone was within 10 meters of me.

DJI was unable to help but did send me a tutorial on how to review the flight data. I'm not confident about buying another Spark and would not recommend them after this. I've had problems with disconnections all along and despite switching WiFi channels etc I just don't think the connection is as stable as with a Phantom for example.
2019-3-6
Use props
Daniella Zylen
New

Canada

I did not fly my spark since November when it disconnected. It reconnected and I could land it but I totally lost faith in that thing so maybe I will sell it and be done with it.

I totally regret buying it.
2019-3-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

gmuran Posted at 3-6 13:32
Thank you so much for taking a look at this. Firstly, I was on vacation and the place is 5 hours away so I won't be able to recover the drone. it was quite an open area that I took off from so I don't think the drone was within 10 meters of me.

DJI was unable to help but did send me a tutorial on how to review the flight data. I'm not confident about buying another Spark and would not recommend them after this. I've had problems with disconnections all along and despite switching WiFi channels etc I just don't think the connection is as stable as with a Phantom for example.

oke, mayby your phone number was on the sd card, so the finder can contact you.
GPS data is fairly accurate, so landing spot was close to the take-off spot.

I use a GPS tracker for my SPARK, just in case of loosing it.

cheers
JJB
2019-3-7
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

I'm sorry for your loss...
2019-3-7
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Daniella Zylen Posted at 3-6 19:57
I did not fly my spark since November when it disconnected. It reconnected and I could land it but I totally lost faith in that thing so maybe I will sell it and be done with it.

Hi Daniella,

Don't give up, because then you've already lost. Try to fly your Spark in ATTI mode, its really fun (and looks cooler that just hovering around). https://forum.dji.com/thread-173114-1-1.html

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Daniella Zylen Posted at 3-6 19:57

Hi Daniella,

My first experience with Spark was also not that good. But after full reset and calibration of IMU and Compass ; it works great now each flight.

So start to fly in open field, get confidence in all the modes. Practise RTH and flying back manually using the little attitude/compass indicator.

If all under control than a sudden ATTI mode will not be that hard to coop. Get height, yaw towards home and fdw pitch.

Happy many safe landings, (and post some great pictures on here)
Cheers
JJB
2019-3-7
Use props
djiuser_d2TwiKAJoEKp
New
Australia

I lost my spark yesterday. It was all good, 150m from home...pressed "home" and then all of a sudden the drone lost gps, started to fly AWAY from home and wouldn't stop, soon after that it lost signal and got disconnected...I didn't even had the chance to try to fly it back manually. "locate my drone"was useless...I got 3 ppl looking for it over a huge area and we couldn't find it.
DJI should stop selling the spark until they could fix this issue.
2019-8-22
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_d2TwiKAJoEKp Posted at 8-22 23:27
I lost my spark yesterday. It was all good, 150m from home...pressed "home" and then all of a sudden the drone lost gps, started to fly AWAY from home and wouldn't stop, soon after that it lost signal and got disconnected...I didn't even had the chance to try to fly it back manually. "locate my drone"was useless...I got 3 ppl looking for it over a huge area and we couldn't find it.
DJI should stop selling the spark until they could fix this issue.

Hi,

sorry for your loss. If you like upload your flightlog using the link.
Flightlog can tell mayby more what happend to your Spark.

link > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB
2019-8-23
Use props
fansa4db3044
New
Flight distance : 97211 ft
Cyprus

I also lost my spark yesterday.  All of a sudden I lost connection and the spark started to fly away at very high speed.  I pressed the RTH button in my remote but it didn't work. The flight details from the DJI apps is not giving me much details.  It is showing the altitude but the distance is 0 metre all the time.  I have emailed DJI support to see if they know the exact location before it crashed.  Hope I will get reply from them and I can recover my spark.  
2021-8-3
Use props
Trumper
lvl.1
United States

Almost!  Lost another Spark...this is four years from that top post....
I went out to fly my old Spark for the first time in a few years.  I did all the calibration things and spent the first battery flying around a small field next to a hillside and a 12 story building.  I recovered my skillset fairly quickly, but just worked through the entire battery doing various maneuvers.  
I put a new battery in and got some height and was taking various shots of the building from a good 100 feet away.  Just videoing going up and down, panning to city views, etc.  
I was near the middle of the little field about 150 feet up and had paused to review some of the settings in the menu.  So I am standing there staring at the screen when a GPS lost, atti mode notice popped up!  WTF?  Then a few seconds later, a connection to RC also came on!  
So I closed the menu, and looked up to see the Spark drifting sideways *really rapidly* in the wind right towards trees on the bluff and about to go behind the building and out of my sight!  
I gave a little forward, but it was pointed towards the building at the time so it got even closer!  I stopped, backed up about 50 feet, hope I hadn't wet my pants, and then turned until it was facing *away* from the building/bluff/trees...and descended.  
Phew!  If it had gone about 15 feet or so, it would have been behind the building and out of visual sight.  I was unlucky to be staring at the screen when this suddenly happened, but lucky that I was able to save it at the very last second.  
Apparently, that connection to RC lost was bs because I could control it ?  And RTH was definitely NOT working.  So...?  Just glad I dodged a bullet.
1-6 18:12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules