Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Visual Range ?
1857 30 2019-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
1RadCJ5
Flight distance : 217418 ft
United States

Hello everyone! I am new to the drone thing, but have always been interested. I live in beautiful country, and want to watch wildlife, etc in my area. I'm sure I will find a million more things to do with my new spark. I know I am limited in range using my old Samsung S5 as a controller for now, but plan to buy the remote controller, extra batteries, multi-charger, and use my I-pad instead of a phone. I know I have to register it before I take it outside. Is this FAA registration anything big, other than my personal data, and placing # on the Spark? And what about this "Visual Range" thing I read about online? You are supposed to keep it in your personal visual sight... I see people going more than a mile away. No way you can see this little beauty this far, heck 100 feet up, It's too small to see. Is it a big deal, or an issue? Any info is useful, and I thank You in advance. Also, as I learn myself, I will continue to post and help other newbies here. Thanks again everyone!!
2019-3-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day 1RadCJ5. Welcome to DJI and thank you for reaching out. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for your New DJI Spark for better compatibility and reliability. Upon checking the mobile device that you are going to use Samsung S5. I am sorry to say that the mobile device that you are using is still not recommended for your DJI Spark as of the moment. Actually, there is a  possibility that the Samsung S5 will work, however, since it's not yet optimized with the DJI Spark and with the DJI Go 4 application we cannot guaranteed the stability of the Samsung S5 when in use with the said device and with the said application and if this will work all the time while using the specific device.  We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any problem. Thank you.

2019-3-2
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-2 07:12
Hello and good day 1RadCJ5. Welcome to DJI and thank you for reaching out. We would suggest using a recommended mobile device for your New DJI Spark for better compatibility and reliability. Upon checking the mobile device that you are going to use Samsung S5. I am sorry to say that the mobile device that you are using is still not recommended for your DJI Spark as of the moment. Actually, there is a  possibility that the Samsung S5 will work, however, since it's not yet optimized with the DJI Spark and with the DJI Go 4 application we cannot guaranteed the stability of the Samsung S5 when in use with the said device and with the said application and if this will work all the time while using the specific device.  We highly suggest you use the compatible device that was listed on the recommended mobile device list below to avoid any problem. Thank you.

[view_image]

My I-pad has version 9.3.5, which looks compatible. However, the app store says apps not compatible with my device. It's a new -pad I never used. Trying the DJI GO 4 app. Any ideas? So far this Spark is a paperweight..
2019-3-2
Use props
pmshop
Captain
Flight distance : 7881391 ft
  • >>>
United States

1RadCJ5 Posted at 3-2 07:24
My I-pad has version 9.3.5, which looks compatible. However, the app store says apps not compatible with my device. It's a new -pad I never used. Trying the DJI GO 4 app. Any ideas? So far this Spark is a paperweight..

You have an old 32 bit iPad
Apps have gone to 64 bit architecture.
Although the version says 9.0 and above, your iPad is not listed.
An iPad can be "never used" but too old to use.
I highly recommend the investment of an iPad mini4 or wait for the iPad mini5 rumored to come out this month.

You do not have to register before you take it outside.
But just keep it low and slow - less than 15ft.
Registering is no big deal, just have the reg number on the outside of the craft.
Used to be allowed to have inside the battery compartment until Feb 25th when new regs came out.

As far as the Visual Line of Sight, it is a big deal.
You need to see where you are at to avoid aircraft.

But where I am, very light airplane traffic, I accept responsibility going out of VLOS.
2019-3-2
Use props
MccloudSpark
First Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

Most experienced flyers do fly out of VLOS.  Under the strict FAA rules, this is not allowed.  It is basically a case of "if something bad happens" you are liable.  But like pmshop said, many of us fly in isolated areas and at low altitude with little if any other aircraft in the area.  You will see lots of vids where this may not be the case.  I'm not here to judge of play policeman.  Just always fly safe!
2019-3-2
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

pmshop Posted at 3-2 07:49
You have an old 32 bit iPad
Apps have gone to 64 bit architecture.
Although the version says 9.0 and above, your iPad is not listed.

Thanks for the input, Captain! Sucks I have a good I-Pad that's of no use. I will look into getting a newer tablet at some point. I am well away from air traffic also, and think I'm in the same boat as yourself. I will engrave the FAA # into the battery, and any new batteries I buy. I'm not sure, since I do not yet have the controller, that I can go outside of my wifi limits, so with the amount of land I own, I think I'm surely ok, but am def going to register it. I'd like to get a 4 battery charger, which has USB ports also to charge tablet, and controller. Seems this could be an expensive obsession, lol. However, I've done a lot of research, and the video looks amazing for the $ spent on it!
2019-3-2
Use props
pmshop
Captain
  • >>>
United States

1RadCJ5 Posted at 3-2 08:33
Thanks for the input, Captain! Sucks I have a good I-Pad that's of no use. I will look into getting a newer tablet at some point. I am well away from air traffic also, and think I'm in the same boat as yourself. I will engrave the FAA # into the battery, and any new batteries I buy. I'm not sure, since I do not yet have the controller, that I can go outside of my wifi limits, so with the amount of land I own, I think I'm surely ok, but am def going to register it. I'd like to get a 4 battery charger, which has USB ports also to charge tablet, and controller. Seems this could be an expensive obsession, lol. However, I've done a lot of research, and the video looks amazing for the $ spent on it!

Ah, if you do not have a controller, it will not fly more than 100ft up and 200 ft out.
As far as the marking, just get a labeler:
https://www.amazon.com/DYMO-Labe ... =gateway&sr=8-4
LM160 is the one I got.
Shop around though, I just skimmed for example.
Just get the 3 bay battery charger from DJI.
The power brick has 2 USB ports for charging.

And believe me, this part is not the "expensive obsession".
I came from there.
It is called a home made 450 quad copter, home made 500 quad copter, home made 550 hexacopter and home made 680 hexacopter.
To put into perspective, the spark is a 175mm class drone.
mm from motor center to motor center diagonally.
2019-3-2
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

pmshop Posted at 3-2 09:28
Ah, if you do not have a controller, it will not fly more than 100ft up and 200 ft out.
As far as the marking, just get a labeler:
https://www.amazon.com/DYMO-LabelManager-Handheld-Label-1790415/dp/B005X9VZ70/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Labelmaker&qid=1551547141&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I just doodled in the yard, Captain, and got my 1st vid from the on-board memory. Micro SD should be here today, got a 64gb. Went up about 50' and I was happy with that. I find using a phone for all the controls confusing. I want to buy the controller for just over $100 that appears in reviews to make life much simpler, along with a cable and tablet. I watched a youtube video yesterday, and a guy went a solid mile and a half, crazy! Funny you mention the Dymo, I have one, didnt think of it! Any input on the best remote? They have different versions. Info coming from someone who has obviously started at the better end, and learned by doing is very helpful!
2019-3-2
Use props
pmshop
Captain
  • >>>
United States

1RadCJ5 Posted at 3-2 10:19
I just doodled in the yard, Captain, and got my 1st vid from the on-board memory. Micro SD should be here today, got a 64gb. Went up about 50' and I was happy with that. I find using a phone for all the controls confusing. I want to buy the controller for just over $100 that appears in reviews to make life much simpler, along with a cable and tablet. I watched a youtube video yesterday, and a guy went a solid mile and a half, crazy! Funny you mention the Dymo, I have one, didnt think of it! Any input on the best remote? They have different versions. Info coming from someone who has obviously started at the better end, and learned by doing is very helpful!

There is only one controller for the Spark.
And that is a Spark controller.
The smart controller with the built in screen is for much higher models...even higher than the Mavic Air.
Now there is no "onboard memory" to store/ access media.
If you got any video, it was from the phone cache.
that will be in 720p
Only the SD card will have 1080p
2019-3-2
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been able to still see my drone and orientation at 8000 ft with some little cree lights attached. Even the stock lights on the Mavics and Phantoms are pretty bright. But the Spark is small and hard to see and many times when flying it I would lose it against the sky and sun. Here's video proof you can see a CREE light from 1.5 miles away, and that is with city light polution. Should be able to visualize farther away from city lights.
2019-3-2
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

pmshop Posted at 3-2 17:13
There is only one controller for the Spark.
And that is a Spark controller.
The smart controller with the built in screen is for much higher models...even higher than the Mavic Air.

I ordered the controller today, Captain1 Excited to get it, as flying with my S9 phone sucks. I just spent a few minutes videoing my granddaughter playing in the snow. Found out watching my stupid phone, instead of the drone, doesn't help when I get it stuck 35 feet up in a maple in my yard, lol. My granddaughter watched as I climbed up, and could only shake it loose from the end of the limb and watch it fall that 35 feet. Luckily, it landed in light snow, not even a scratch. Flew again for another 5 mins after. Need that controller, too much goin on with a phone stuck in my face. On another note, I also ordered prop guards, soft landing gear, a 4 battery charger, and just bought a new battery for $34 at my local Target! Cheap for an OEM battery. I bought the last one online, I wanted 3 more. Will head in when they restock.
2019-3-3
Use props
pmshop
Captain
  • >>>
United States

1RadCJ5 Posted at 3-3 07:47
I ordered the controller today, Captain1  Excited to get it, as flying with my S9 phone sucks. I just spent a few minutes videoing my granddaughter playing in the snow. Found out watching my stupid phone, instead of the drone, doesn't help when I get it stuck 35 feet up in a maple in my yard, lol. My granddaughter watched as I climbed up, and could only shake it loose from the end of the limb and watch it fall that 35 feet. Luckily, it landed in light snow, not even a scratch. Flew again for another 5 mins after. Need that controller, too much goin on with a phone stuck in my face. On another note, I also ordered prop guards, soft landing gear, a 4 battery charger, and just bought a new battery for $34 at my local Target! Cheap for an OEM battery. I bought the last one online, I wanted 3 more. Will head in when they restock.

Saw that ad on the other forum I am on SparkPilots.com
I have 6 between 2 Sparks and the #1 is just as strong as I first used it back in October of '17 !
2019-3-3
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

Bing Err Posted at 3-2 23:00
I've been able to still see my drone and orientation at 8000 ft with some little cree lights attached. Even the stock lights on the Mavics and Phantoms are pretty bright. But the Spark is small and hard to see and many times when flying it I would lose it against the sky and sun. Here's video proof you can see a CREE light from 1.5 miles away, and that is with city light polution. Should be able to visualize farther away from city lights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NM7zm8FUjw

Those Cree lights are awesome. Dunno if I will ever get my range out far enough to need them though. I make acrylic\aka plexiglass for Cree lighting for some of their other lighting products. A very reputable company. I sure hope a controller makes this Spark simpler to fly than staring at a screen constantly. Seems as dangerous as texting and driving, lol. Just got down from the trees!
2019-3-3
Use props
Rustic17
Captain
Flight distance : 2716936 ft
United States

How do the Cree LEDs work during daytime???
2019-3-3
Use props
snowbird pilot
Second Officer
United States

VLOS- supposed to keep in it eyesight
2019-3-3
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 3-3 10:33
How do the Cree LEDs work during daytime???

Still brighter than your built in drone lights, but not AS effective in the day time. In some situations (flying against the sun) your visibility is basically zero, so keeping VLOS in all situations is not possible. But I go the extra mile and use the CREE lights so if anyone ever calls me out then I can at least show I'm doing everything possible to see my drone at all times.
2019-3-3
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

1RadCJ5 Posted at 3-3 08:17
Those Cree lights are awesome. Dunno if I will ever get my range out far enough to need them though. I make acrylic\aka plexiglass for Cree lighting for some of their other lighting products. A very reputable company. I sure hope a controller makes this Spark simpler to fly than staring at a screen constantly. Seems as dangerous as texting and driving, lol. Just got down from the trees!

yeah, never been a fan of using a phone because you're constantly looking down to see your digital buttons. The remote gets your face out of your phone and frees up your eyes to watch your drone.
2019-3-3
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

Bing Err Posted at 3-3 17:04
yeah, never been a fan of using a phone because you're constantly looking down to see your digital buttons. The remote gets your face out of your phone and frees up your eyes to watch your drone.

The remote shipped today. Dunno how long it will take to get from DGI. For the moment I will still use the S9 phone with the remote, but I won't have to look at it as much, and it looks like a remote makes flying soooo easy. Once I'm cozy with that setup, I will try to find a decent unit that holds the remote, and a small tablet. I am wondering what that combo may be. Unsure what tablet is best, and I have seen a lot of the self containing units, some with lanyards. A lot to learn, but fun. Registered with FAA today, don't need that headache, so got that outta the way..
2019-3-4
Use props
MavSpa_user
Captain
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Some advice, buy a RC asap. Also samsung s5 is good enough, use go version 4.1.15 and a good OTG cable, I flew almost 2 years with the Spark and Mavic Pro.
Now I am using a samsung galaxy tab A, 7 inch. with most stable version for the Spark 4.1.15. I mod my RC like this.

2019-3-5
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

MavSpa_user Posted at 3-5 04:06
Some advice, buy a RC asap. Also samsung s5 is good enough, use go version 4.1.15 and a good OTG cable, I flew almost 2 years with the Spark and Mavic Pro.
Now I am using a samsung galaxy tab A, 7 inch. with most stable version for the Spark 4.1.15. I mod my RC like this.

The RC is due to arrive tomorrow. I hope the range is WAY better! How do I get the version 4.1.15 for my S5? I'll get a tablet in the near future. As of now, I have the spark, two batteries(want 5 total), six spare props, the springy feet(not sure they help) and prop guards(that I cant use with the feet installed, cause they latch at the same spot). Any advice which is better or which I should use since it can't be both? I think the prop guards are more beneficial than the little leg extensions. I also have an OTG cable and a 4 battery charger with two USB ports for charging phone\tablet and remote. I do have a few questions though, hopefully someone in here can answer.

1. I just flew mine out back, 112 feet high, and outside of my phones signal. I couldn't bring it home, and it scared the crap outta me! I ran about 25 feet to the rear of my house, and got enough of a signal to bring it home. What ultimately would have happened if I couldn't re-establish the signal? Would it just come home when battery got to the 30% point, as is in the settings?

2. Is there an accurate way to pinpoint "home"? I launch from my driveway, and when it "homes" it was probably 30 feet away or so. Is there a way to sync the home position? Will the controller fix this? The videos I see show it landing within a foot or so of take off point...

Sorry for all the questions, but only a fool doesn't ask when surrounded by those who know and share the info.
2019-3-5
Use props
MavSpa_user
Captain
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dj ... o-4-4-1-15-release
wait untill your take off that your homepoint is next to your own position(see your map) on your go app.
Set your phone  location in settings of your phone to gps only!
3 seconds of lost signal Spark is RTH (when good GPS), so check your rth height!!!
2019-3-5
Use props
MKPSG12
First Officer
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

VLOS is very dependent on the weather/light conditions and the flyers eyesight. I can easily see my Spark directly vertical up to the normal max height permitted in most countries (120m/400ft) during the day or night and i'm sure i'd be able to see it at greater height, especially at night. But during the day once it moves away on the horizontal plane I start to lose sight of it at around 200-250m and thats if I maintain constant eye contact with it. If i have to look down to look at the screen/change a setting etc I can lose VLOS at less than 100m horizontal depending on the weather/light. At night its MUCH easier to see at a distance but some countries/areas do not permit night flying at all. My Spark being white does not help matters locating it in the sky (one reason its easier to keep track of directly vertical is the grey underside. In fairness though I rarely use mine at a distance, its more for much close in stuff, just in places where it wouldn't be safe to stand/move about with a camera.
2019-3-6
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

MavSpa_user Posted at 3-5 23:07
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dj ... o-4-4-1-15-release
wait untill your take off that your homepoint is next to your own position(see your map) on your go app.
Set your phone  location in settings of your phone to gps only!

My RTH height is 30 meters, MavSpa_user. Roughly 100 feet up. I just got the controller this morning. I hooked up the OTG cable to my S9, and went outside. It's probably the windiest day in a year here and cold as hell. I cannot believe how fast this thing moves! I only zipped around the yard(3.5acres) but I was afraid that between the high wind, and speed, I was gonna lose it. lol Also, I downloaded and installed the APK file you linked for my S5, and it installed great. Thank You! This thing is scary now!
2019-3-6
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

1RadCJ5 Posted at 3-6 09:55
My RTH height is 30 meters, MavSpa_user. Roughly 100 feet up. I just got the controller this morning. I hooked up the OTG cable to my S9, and went outside. It's probably the windiest day in a year here and cold as hell. I cannot believe how fast this thing moves! I only zipped around the yard(3.5acres) but I was afraid that between the high wind, and speed, I was gonna lose it. lol Also, I downloaded and installed the APK file you linked for my S5, and it installed great. Thank You! This thing is scary now!

Flying a radio control model beyond your ability to see and control it is a good way to lose it.  As soon as video cuts out, you are totally reliant on the dumb autopilot to be able to fly it back home for you.  

Many times the autopilot fails in this task.  Many things can go wrong during RTH, including losing GPS lock.  Then we get the famous "It flew away" and the pilot has no idea what happened to it.  No idea what happened because he was flying it where he couldn't see it.

The guys claiming they take responsibility for the results of flying beyond their ability to see the Spark are the first guys to be on here claiming "it flew away," shurking responsibility and wanting a replacement for their pricey toy.  Blaming the Spark when the reason the Spark is lost is their irresponsible piloting.  

Don't fly in high winds.  Many a Spark has been lost trying to RTH in high winds.

Flying in visual sight

Flying in visual sight
2019-3-6
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 3-6 10:15
Flying a radio control model beyond your ability to see and control it is a good way to lose it.  As soon as video cuts out, you are totally reliant on the dumb autopilot to be able to fly it back home for you.  

Many times the autopilot fails in this task.  Many things can go wrong during RTH, including losing GPS lock.  Then we get the famous "It flew away" and the pilot has no idea what happened to it.  No idea what happened because he was flying it where he couldn't see it.

"Beyond my ability to see or control"? What are you talking about, Gunship9? Yes, it is windy, however when I have 3 1\2 acres of just field\yard, why would you say it's beyond my control or ability, or imply I couldn't see it? Five minutes of zipping around, and as I said I was afraid of damaging it, so I put it away. As for me taking responsibility, I do. Chill out. No matter how many great people there are in a group, there is always that one...
2019-3-6
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

1RadCJ5 Posted at 3-6 11:37
"Beyond my ability to see or control"? What are you talking about, Gunship9? Yes, it is windy, however when I have 3 1\2 acres of just field\yard, why would you say it's beyond my control or ability, or imply I couldn't see it? Five minutes of zipping around, and as I said I was afraid of damaging it, so I put it away. As for me taking responsibility, I do. Chill out. No matter how many great people there are in a group, there is always that one...

Ah, your posts made it look like you watched videos of touring at long distance ranges with drones and wanted to try it.  People saying it was okay as long as you took responsibility.  Not true, in my opinion.

I didn't know you had already lost your drone and therefore you thought the part about how people lose their drone wasn't actually advice on how beginners can avoid losing the drone.  Instead, you thought I was ragging on the way you already flew it and lost it.  I didn't know you had lost it the way many others have lost it.

Yes, there is always one (beginner who see all advice as attacks on his knowledge).  Flying beyond one's ability to see and control it doesn't refer to your skills but refers to being able to see a dot that is impossible to control because it is only a dot.  A dot that is impossible to control if the video signal is lost.  Pilots need to fly close enough to be able to see it, and see it well enough, to control it.  You have to be able to tell the drone's orientation.  It is refering to "Visual Range?" I saw asked on here somewhere.

Feel free to fly in winds as you want.  I told you why it isn't a good idea, but hey I've never used RTH (in winds or otherwise).

Spark return 5.gif
2019-3-6
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 3-6 18:28
Ah, your posts made it look like you watched videos of touring at long distance ranges with drones and wanted to try it.  People saying it was okay as long as you took responsibility.  Not true, in my opinion.

I didn't know you had already lost your drone and therefore you thought the part about how people lose their drone wasn't actually advice on how beginners can avoid losing the drone.  Instead, you thought I was ragging on the way you already flew it and lost it.  I didn't know you had lost it the way many others have lost it.

Gunship9 - Yes, I read it as you ragging me, when I really want to learn and share advice. I never "lost: my drone. Maybe I mispoke. It was up in my front yard, and I was using the phone as the controller(beginners mode). I was videoing my granddaughter, and foolishly flew backwards. You guessed it, stuck on a branch. Got it down no problem, no damage, and learned not to fly backwards, especially while focused on a stupid phone.Easy lesson, I feel I learned the responsible way, since it wasn't very high, and was in front of my house. As far as the winds yesterday, I was never above 8 feet up, and only zipped around my back field until the winds started whipping, in which I bought it home and parked it. Yes, I saw your post as an attack that I was some drone nazi, but I assure you I want to learn the safest and most controlled methods out there from people who know. That;s why I am here. I literally have thousands and thousands of acres here, of old farmland, to test it out with, at fairly low range(100ft), with no possibility of hurting anyone or anything but drone, which is nothing compared to an injured person. Not even a tree for 500 acres, then a treeline, then 500 more open acres. At least if it drops, I can ride ATV to retrieve. However, my new controller doesn't seem to have the range I've seen virtually everyone else has. First flight was at 5.8ghz. Barely got 600 feet near my neighbors house who was watching for it, and as I hovered in his driveway, I got a weak, and then lost signal.. I'm talking only 600 feet away. It raised to 100 feet, and came right home due to battery going to 30%. I then changed to 2.4ghz, and went up 350 ft, and just shot across all the open farmland. I got more distance, about 1260 feet, but it seems I need to figure out some other settings. I am using the OTG cable fyi, not wifi to controller. Everyone else claims to go a mile +. I have plenty of farmland to go approx 2 miles, so I'd like to figure out which, if any setting I need to try to achieve max distance I may never need it, but If my friend is willing to pick up Visual sight, if I can get to his field, and confirm, I know it's dialed in, and RTH. I mainly want this for aerial photos, of the beaches. I am in Maine, near walkers Point\Kennebunkport where President Bush lived. I want to learn to take nice cinematic video of the local beaches, however the 600 feet I got earlier wont even go the length of the beach. I apologize for taking your post personal. It's just at that time it really struck me that way. Old news now.I want to learn, not become an old yahoo chat room, lol.
2019-3-7
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Captain
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Orientation is the keyword here. Out 8,000 feet looking at blinking lights does not give the pilot proper orientation of the quad copter. And technically you’re not looking at the drone, you’re looking at the lights.
2019-3-7
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

Sayhelloforme Posted at 3-7 23:15
Orientation is the keyword here. Out 8,000 feet looking at blinking lights does not give the pilot proper orientation of the quad copter. And technically you’re not looking at the drone, you’re looking at the lights.

I don't even know how to respond to that unthought out banter, Sayhelloforme. Orientation is the only word that's acknowledgable here. 8,000 ft ? Man, this thread is circling the toilet bowl by the minute. No RC's are getting 8,000 feet here. If I am looking at headlights of a Chevelle coming at me, do I not know to differentiate, or assume, since the reverse\tail lights aren't heading my way, that maybe I am heading the right way, toward RTH? Wow, can only hope for some uphill wind here, or someone out here understands my questions. Any other country than than USA, please keep quiet, your laws are different, and hold you down like most your governments do...Thread went from a bunch of helpful people, to people who seem to wanna just rag on USA. Send tips, or take a trip people. I'll do the same.No wonder USA Military is dominant, Of course no particular implication, just fact. Hope US military doesn't rely on DJI forum members for intelliegence without interference. Simple answers are complicated, even on my couch, but insinuated to be at 8000 feet, lol., BTW I'm biting my tongue to not offend you snowflakes out here.
2019-3-8
Use props
1RadCJ5
United States

1RadCJ5 Posted at 3-8 16:44
I don't even know how to respond to that unthought out banter, Sayhelloforme. Orientation is the only word that's acknowledgable here. 8,000 ft ? Man, this thread is circling the toilet bowl by the minute. No RC's are getting 8,000 feet here. If I am looking at headlights of a Chevelle coming at me, do I not know to differentiate, or assume, since the reverse\tail lights aren't heading my way, that maybe I am heading the right way, toward RTH? Wow, can only hope for some uphill wind here, or someone out here understands my questions. Any other country than than USA, please keep quiet, your laws are different, and hold you down like most your governments do...Thread went from a bunch of helpful people, to people who seem to wanna just rag on USA. Send tips, or take a trip people. I'll do the same.No wonder USA Military is dominant, Of course no particular implication, just fact. Hope US military doesn't rely on DJI forum members for intelliegence without interference. Simple answers are complicated, even on my couch, but insinuated to be at 8000 feet, lol., BTW I'm biting my tongue to not offend you snowflakes out here.

Also,. if the light you are looking at on a car are not visual sight, stop driving,, per your own advice. If you cant tell reverse from backwards, save us all and give your license up now.
2019-3-8
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

1RadCJ5 Posted at 3-8 16:44
I don't even know how to respond to that unthought out banter, Sayhelloforme. Orientation is the only word that's acknowledgable here. 8,000 ft ? Man, this thread is circling the toilet bowl by the minute. No RC's are getting 8,000 feet here. If I am looking at headlights of a Chevelle coming at me, do I not know to differentiate, or assume, since the reverse\tail lights aren't heading my way, that maybe I am heading the right way, toward RTH? Wow, can only hope for some uphill wind here, or someone out here understands my questions. Any other country than than USA, please keep quiet, your laws are different, and hold you down like most your governments do...Thread went from a bunch of helpful people, to people who seem to wanna just rag on USA. Send tips, or take a trip people. I'll do the same.No wonder USA Military is dominant, Of course no particular implication, just fact. Hope US military doesn't rely on DJI forum members for intelliegence without interference. Simple answers are complicated, even on my couch, but insinuated to be at 8000 feet, lol., BTW I'm biting my tongue to not offend you snowflakes out here.

He isn't really replying to you but to all people that might be reading a topic on "Visual Range".   Mentioning in the topic, that everyone is discussing, that orientation is important.  People will come in with other ideas and the items discussed will go all over the place, but still relate to "Range."

I can lose orientation of my model airplane 100 feet from me when looking sunward on the field.  The plane becomes a silhouette that might be banking towards me in a left turn or banking away in a right turn.  Mixing up which way it is facing is fatal to model airplanes while it is only problematic to drones.

Remember to keep the antennas vertical with the sides of the antenna facing the drone.  The radiation pattern is a donut speared on the antenna so the tips won't put out much signal versus the sides.  Remember to not hold up the remote to block the sun and wind up with the antennas pointing back with the antenna sides going straight up (how I lost video the first time).  

Look at the DJI Go app signal page with the channel usage.  You can tell how open the channels are and if there is a lot of usage already on the channel.  2.4ghz was full in my area and I had to use 5.8ghz to get open channels.

Here is my old video on Spark orientation:
2019-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules