Mavic 2 Waypoints 2.0 issues?! In Depth Analysis
8887 22 2019-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DrohneSG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001906 ft
Germany

There have been several short notes about Wypoints 2.0 issues. I tried to get out more in detail. You may look at the video below.

Here some conclusions and comments:

For about 4 weeks WP 2.0 is available. Due to bad wheather my tests were delayed but then i did it 3 times, in the vid results from the last session.

The app:

Defining a course with a small touch device is somewhat challenging – but this is a general problem and even might by influenced by the device/OS beeing used – and the skill of the operator. Nevertheless there are some performance issues and accident prone bugs:

• Not every push is recognized immediately, sometimes you have to push several times and  then you might set an unintended new point (only attentively – as expected – flying prevented my drone from crashing by an unintended waypoint)
  • POIs did change in position and height after saving and reloading – at least this spoils the shooting. (seen several times, might be the same for waypoints?)

(IMHO there should be an seperate edit-toggle button to enter and leave  the edit mode for WP/POI to reduce the danger of unindened setting of points)

The flying:

After flight analysis did always show a good flight performance and return to home with precision landing.

But the video-shots were hardly ever satisfying. Main problems:

• bad  / floating view to the POI(s), not focusing anything without POI
  • jerky cam movements (gimbal and/or drone?)
  • the only difference between polyline an arc mode is not the course (absolutely the same), but only the speed on the turn: hard break, turn on zero speed versus softer break and turn at slow speed. Looking at the vids there really is about no diffrence to be seen.

At a final conclusion: WP 2.0 ist hardly usable in the current version. Any vid I have seen on the net did show the same issues. Looking forward for a better version.

Last word: the mavics are hobby devices, not scientific or military precision devices. We should not expect too much. And true professional filming is done with two operators (operating the drone-flight / operating the cam/shooting).   

2019-3-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2019-3-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing
2019-3-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day DrohneSG. Thank you for sharing this very informative video you have posted. You did a great work.
2019-3-3
Use props
Zinnware
lvl.1
Flight distance : 298766 ft
United States

I believe that the biggest flaw is not having the ability to fly through a wayoint without stopping the drone.
2019-3-3
Use props
Brett Brandon
lvl.4
United States

The new CAPTCHA crap is the last straw.
Im tired of DJIs crap and am removing my posts and will be on my way.
2019-3-3
Use props
Zinnware
lvl.1
Flight distance : 298766 ft
United States

Zinnware Posted at 3-3 08:43
I believe that the biggest flaw is not having the ability to fly through a wayoint without stopping the drone.

To add clarity to my previous post is that I experienced the same issues.   My POI height changed from 4 meters( 12 ft)  to a much higher value.   I did a similar mission with 15 waypoints.   in Poly and Arc, and in both cases the drone would stop at each waypoint.   This was not desired.   Although creating a mission on a Samsung Andriod phone was usable, the satellite imagery used on the map on the Android was not as recent nor detailed as what I could use with the Litchi Mission Hub product.  Also the Litchi Mission Hub product also allowed me to create the mission on a Windows desktop with a high resolution screen.
DJI Waypoints would not let you pause for a specified amount of time, but the Litchi Mission Hub product does.
I have not flown with the Litchi Mission Hub, but the videos from other Litchi missions from 3-years ago seem to show smooth transitions through waypoints and provides better control over the curve.
2019-3-3
Use props
DrohneSG
lvl.4
Germany

Zinnware Posted at 3-3 08:43

In arcmode the drone slows down but does not stop. I tried to make a vid with a camcorder showing this, but  flying a drone carefully  and simultaneously filming this freehand is not so easy. Now its raining again, but i will try again with a special designed safe course when the sun shines again.

The drone needs to fly a real arc for smootly flying trough a waypoint without stopping or about stopping.  This requires some internal calculations and kind of internally generated additional waypoints. The radius on turn might also be user adjustable.

The jerkyness is present on straight fly, too. It seems to be difficult to keep a clean focus the a POI. Mainly ist must be controlled by turning the drone (directon), because the gimbal is  for stabilization and tilt.

And the pic below proves, polyline and arc are quite the same - differences in range of 1m!

curve_flight.png
2019-3-3
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hey, thanks for the analysis. I will forward the issues to our team that you mentioned in the thread.
2019-3-5
Use props
SlickR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 642559 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for your detailed findings DrohneSG

I have also had the same problems and I feel that this late release of Waypoints 2.0 is full of niggles and issues.

The jerky behaviour is dreadful and it's the same in litchi app so I expect this is Firmware related too.

I have tried to plan a cable cam type path and using the manual (C1) button. The Litchi app still does this awful stutter as it rotates and in the Go 4 app, when I go to start my mission, the last waypoint tick box is missing.

Pretty useless at the minute and needs a good bit of work doing to fix these problems
2019-3-29
Use props
GlynH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1762336 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've mentioned this in a previous post but I created and saved a 5-point Waypoint course and for some reason instead of the drone pointing its nose towards the direction of flight it looks inwards as if it is looking for a POI but the direction it faces seems to vary rather than stay constant.

Also I am unable to control the gimbal as the drone fights against any input from me.

Ironically the whole point of me setting up a Waypoint course in the first place was to let the drone concentrate on flying while I could move the gimbal around!

-=Glyn=-
2019-3-29
Use props
Ralphhuttonthompson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 666188 ft
Canada

Thanks, I’d like to add my voice to the need for improvements, waypoints 2.0 is pretty good but having flown Autoflight Autopilot with my Inspire 1 Pro for more than 2 years, waypoints 2.0 is a little inconvenient, prone to errors and quite limited. Im using the Smart Controller with the Mavic 2 Pro.
1. Developing a waypoint flt plan should be possible without any connection (or previous connection) to design and verify the circuit & camera angles. Flying the circuit offline and disconnected is very important to ensure a complex plan is doing what you expect. Making up waypoint circuits on the fly when yr under pressure to capture the nice light is a recipe for a crash.
2. Agree with Drohnse, there should be an Edit mode that u can close out when in operations mode. It’s very easy with waypoints 2 to delete, move or inadvertently add a spurious waypoint when yr fiddling around in the cold as I was at 6:30am today.
3. Although u can design yr flt plan as a series of clips connected by waypoints, it is nice to have the drone fly a clean curved route (as it does in Autopilot) because u never can be sure when a nice sequence will be ruined by a waypoint wobble.
4. Surely DJI could produce a User Guide for Waypoints, I’d like to know how to connect multiple waypoints with multiple focus points and better understand other feature without using trial and error.
5. It would be nice to select “start video capture” and “stop video capture” as a setting in the flt plan.
6. Lastly, I’d love to be able to plug my iPad with Autopilot into the USB slot in the Smart controller and control the Mavic 2 Pro from my iPad.......maybe dreaming a bit to hard.
2019-4-16
Use props
DrohneSG
lvl.4
Germany

New Firmware update/app is available, but: not any isssue with WP 2.0 was addressed?, so wait another 3 month (in vain)?
2019-4-18
Use props
TVOD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1680082 ft
United Kingdom

Tested my Mavic 2 zoom today with Waypoints, because some had said that the smart controller was not saving waypoint files, conclusion. my smart controller saves files, my date and time was correct as the controller was tethered to my iPhone, Waypoints is a fiddly process, it has no precision, it needs a PC and a Mac app, i found when the drone took off and followed the waypoints i had set it didn't take photos of the locations i pointed the arrow at, maybe there is a learning curve, i have watched quite a few videos on the subject on youtube. What i think it needs, 1, ability to make waypoint files while not being connected to the drone, 2, a PC and Mac app that  could make the file then could sent to the controller through a usb pen drive or bluetooth,
2019-4-18
Use props
SlickR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 642559 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So the latest firmware update has done nothing to fix any of these problems! How annoying? At least people with two controllers are happy now ;0
2019-4-24
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Instead of promoting corny written articles about “15 months with Mavic Air” DJI forum admins should pin this thread just cause of sheer volume of useful information here.
2019-4-24
Use props
tiscali
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I rapidly found that planning Waypoints is far easier on an iPad Pro using a pencil than stabbing an iPhone screen with my finger, and then transferring the waypoints.db file to my iPhone using iTunes as mentioned in an earlier thread.
Still wish there was option to either stop/slow down or pass straight through a waypoint though.
2019-5-8
Use props
djiuser_anHVj9RAc4Yb
lvl.1
Philippines

Mavic 2 way point 2.0 is too slow even at maximum cruise speed. Too boaring to watch thè video. I wish dji could add speed on it. It would be a lot more fun.
2019-8-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_anHVj9RAc4Yb Posted at 8-22 18:52
Mavic 2 way point 2.0 is too slow even at maximum cruise speed. Too boaring to watch thè video. I wish dji could add speed on it. It would be a lot more fun.

You can always speed up the footage when editing the video.
2019-8-23
Use props
Top-Bob
lvl.1

Way-points sounds fantastic in theory and could be a great tool for the professionals, but in reality it is useless and only for amateurs who are well satisfied to have a little fun with programming. I can see this is an old problem and that there have been numerous upgrades without the problem being addressed.
DJI - Please do an upgrade for the pros. Thanks
2019-9-4
Use props
Chumley
lvl.3
Flight distance : 480774 ft

Has anyone else noticed that the POI feature of Waypoints stopped working with the latest update?  The aircraft no longer turns to face the Point Of Interest but just points in the direction of travel.  This is using the same saved missions that used to work really well.
2019-9-10
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft

This issue has been discussed in multiple threads in the last few months. In fact a DJI forum member confirmed that DJI was working on an update towards improving the WP2.0

The million dollars question is when DJI will be ready to publish the rumored software upgrade. There have been so many months since last firmware upgrade was published.
2019-9-10
Use props
Drekko
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62365 ft
Australia

Can you do hyperlapse with waypoints 2.0 ?
2019-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules