Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark suddenly dropped into ocean
12Next >
4001 40 2019-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_lp8Lng3G9cVc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49262 ft
Maldives

Hey,

Bought the Spark a couple months ago and have been using regularly and have been really impressed with capabilities. I brought it with me on holidays and used it a bunch of times successfully. Unfortunately yesterday it suddenly dropped straight into the ocean shortly after takeoff. Battery was full, no issues or trauma to the drone beforehand, nice conditions, etc. I assume this will be covered by warranty...unfortunately this will not bring back the shots I planned to shoot via drone on holidays!

I

2019-3-3
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

So very sad to hear about your sudden loss of a great little aircraft. However, unless you recovered it from the waves its unlikely to be covered by warranty.
2019-3-3
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

All depends embayweather,

While it is true you need to exchange the crashed Spark to qualify for warranty repair...there have been some instances where the craft was not recovered but warranty was still fulfilled.
All depends on what they see in the log file.
And, this sounds like a case where it would have recorded to the end.
So, they can see what happened from take off to crash.

@djiuser_lp8Lng3G9cVc
Post the log file results using this at Phantom Help:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-3-3
Use props
Proteous
lvl.4
Flight distance : 228993 ft
Barbados

seems like 1 in 10 sparks seemed to be dropping out the sky lately
2019-3-3
Use props
djiuser_lp8Lng3G9cVc
lvl.1
Maldives

embayweather Posted at 3-3 04:47
So very sad to hear about your sudden loss of a great little aircraft. However, unless you recovered it from the waves its unlikely to be covered by warranty.

Thankfully I was able to recover. I'm in the Maldives and it dropped into the shallow water. Hopefully no issues with the warranty...
2019-3-3
Use props
djiuser_lp8Lng3G9cVc
lvl.1
Maldives

Proteous Posted at 3-3 05:24

I'll use it again (when I have a new one) but this has definitely made me more mindful of where it's flying and anxious about flying in general. Ashame too as I was having a blast and getting some great shots/perspectives
2019-3-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear.
2019-3-3
Use props
3BEPb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165928 ft
  • >>>
United States

Proteous Posted at 3-3 05:24

Based on what stats?
It’s pure speculation without hard data. You can say 1 in 5 or 1 in 50 with same effect
2019-3-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day.  I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Spark.  Since this unfortunate event happened. The best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support. You can contact our support team by using this link: https://www.dji.com/repair. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this as soon as possible. Thank for your support.

2019-3-3
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Sorry for your lose! Could you ease share your flight log, that we can try to understand what was really happen?
2019-3-3
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

oh no! did you get it?
2019-3-3
Use props
NP2019
lvl.2

Indonesia

Can't say much about the flight without seeing the flight log.

In any case, you should contact DJI Support via email.

Next, prepare to send DJI your proof of purchase, Spark's serial number, the whole flight records folder, and the video cache of the flight (if you have any).
2019-3-3
Use props
djiuser_lp8Lng3G9cVc
lvl.1
Maldives

NP2019 Posted at 3-3 10:45
Can't say much about the flight without seeing the flight log.

In any case, you should contact DJI Support via email.

Thanks, the drone doesn't turn on now. Would the flight log be on the SD card? Not sure that is salvageable...I don't have laptops etc atm. Thanks.
2019-3-3
Use props
djiuser_lp8Lng3G9cVc
lvl.1
Maldives

Lysak2003 Posted at 3-3 08:47
Sorry for your lose! Could you ease share your flight log, that we can try to understand what was really happen?

Is the flight log on the SD card? Not sure if that is salvagable given drone was submerged...and drone doesn't turn on now.
2019-3-3
Use props
djiuser_lp8Lng3G9cVc
lvl.1
Maldives

snowbird pilot Posted at 3-3 10:38
oh no! did you get it?

Yes, thankfully. The water is shallow and clear around where we are.
2019-3-3
Use props
djiuser_lp8Lng3G9cVc
lvl.1
Maldives

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-3 07:45
Hello and good day.  I am sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI Spark.  Since this unfortunate event happened. The best thing you need to do is to contact DJI Support. You can contact our support team by using this link: https://www.dji.com/repair. We hope to hear from you soon and looking forward to resolve this as soon as possible. Thank for your support.

[view_image]

Thank you, I have done that and waiting to hear back. My request is 2003970. Can I dispose of the battery that got wet? Not keen on travelling with a lithium battery that got wet...
2019-3-3
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Sorry to know that mate
2019-3-3
Use props
NP2019
lvl.2

Indonesia

djiuser_lp8Lng3G9cVc Posted at 3-3 17:46
Thanks, the drone doesn't turn on now. Would the flight log be on the SD card? Not sure that is salvageable...I don't have laptops etc atm. Thanks.

The flight record should be on your mobile device inside the internal storage (not the SD card). If you're using Android, check the internal storage, folder DJI/dji.go.v4/FlighRecord.
2019-3-4
Use props
Renames
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4232851 ft
Australia

embayweather Posted at 3-3 04:47

Very incorrect information..

If DJI reviewed your flight logs and determined it was a fault.. they will replace with out the original drone..

I had my spark replaced only last week.. I never recovered the drone..
2019-3-4
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32031 ft

Australia

I was going to post a thread about my Spark also dropping the other day and then today while in tripod mode it suddenly shot forward and crashed into the opposite bank of a creek. (had to wade across the creek to recover it!) Both times I've been lucky enough that its not been too damaged. I had to replace all the props yesterday when it dropped. Today when it flew forward it was in ATTI mode and I think it did the same when it did the fast decent.

Two questions. First for DJIUserLP8...(what kind of a name is that! lol) when you say it dropped, were the engines still running and it was more of a powered drop? That's what mine did.

Second question, I want to take a look at my logs over the last flights when its acted up, but what do I want to be looking for in those logs?
2019-3-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

RJB1 Posted at 3-5 02:50
I was going to post a thread about my Spark also dropping the other day and then today while in tripod mode it suddenly shot forward and crashed into the opposite bank of a creek. (had to wade across the creek to recover it!) Both times I've been lucky enough that its not been too damaged. I had to replace all the props yesterday when it dropped. Today when it flew forward it was in ATTI mode and I think it did the same when it did the fast decent.

Two questions. First for DJIUserLP8...(what kind of a name is that! lol) when you say it dropped, were the engines still running and it was more of a powered drop? That's what mine did.

Hi RJB1, (what kind of a name is that! lol)

Be surprised what you can learn from flightrecord data!

so if you like post it on here using > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB (oops, what kind of a name is that! lol )

2019-3-5
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

JJB* Posted at 3-5 06:44
Hi RJB1, (what kind of a name is that! lol)

Be surprised what you can learn from flightrecord data!

No I wouldn't be surprised at what I can learn from the data, that's why I was asking what is the actually information it gives, and how do you interpret it. Is that link an official DJI link?
2019-3-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

RJB1 Posted at 3-5 13:31
No I wouldn't be surprised at what I can learn from the data, that's why I was asking what is the actually information it gives, and how do you interpret it. Is that link an official DJI link?

no,  just read this forum and you will see how it is used.
if you feel good about it,do use it. If not, don`t.

cheers
JJB
2019-3-5
Use props
fanse5c5d185
lvl.1
Flight distance : 32411 ft
Netherlands

Renames Posted at 3-4 23:57
Very incorrect information..

If DJI reviewed your flight logs and determined it was a fault.. they will replace with out the original drone..

My drone also fell from the sky into the water and DJI isn't doing anything about it. All they want to offer me is a discount. Very disappointed with the customer service.
2019-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

fanse5c5d185 Posted at 3-7 22:47
My drone also fell from the sky into the water and DJI isn't doing anything about it. All they want to offer me is a discount. Very disappointed with the customer service.

Hi,

Without a flightlog on here, we can only only say sorry for your loss.

cheers
JJB
2019-3-8
Use props
FulanitoFlyer
lvl.3
Chile

I think the battery disconnected... for it just to fall out of the sky like that.
2019-3-8
Use props
snowbird pilot
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_lp8Lng3G9cVc Posted at 3-3 17:48
Yes, thankfully. The water is shallow and clear around where we are.

good news there
2019-3-8
Use props
fanse5c5d185
lvl.1
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 3-8 00:14
Hi,

Without a flightlog on here, we can only only say sorry for your loss.

Hey JJB,

You are right. Here is the log.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/PR1GMK92L3U6LATT6ZIK/

What do you think?
2019-3-9
Use props
bugalugs22
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67684 ft
Australia

Did you see this warning??

>Battery performance will be lowered when it is lower than 15℃. It will affect your flight safety. Fully charging it and heating it to 15℃ or above is recommended.
2019-3-9
Use props
RJB1
lvl.4

Australia

Seems like you had a lot of compass error messages.

https://app.airdata.com/flight/d ... ENERALNotifications
2019-3-9
Use props
fanse5c5d185
lvl.1
Netherlands

bugalugs22 Posted at 3-9 19:41
Did you see this warning??

>Battery performance will be lowered when it is lower than 15℃. It will affect your flight safety. Fully charging it and heating it to 15℃ or above is recommended.

Yes but this is no reason why it just falls out of the sky. If a drone can't handle 8 degrees than we have bigger issues to worry about. Then the drone should prevent me from taking off in the first place. Imagine the drone fell on someone's head from 60 meters high.
2019-3-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

fanse5c5d185 Posted at 3-9 14:39
Hey JJB,

You are right. Here is the log.

Hi N,

Only compass errors, but not as a low or high warning.

Batt temp will get higher during this 2m24s flight, so imo not the reason for falling out of the sky.
Max batt cells deviation 48mV, normal values.

No sudden large pitch and roll values at the end, so no bird-'crash' or fly into an obstacle etc.Or a bird hit your drone as it was hovering at 61 meters height for almost 60 seconds.

So the most likely reason for falling out of te sky is that he battery dismounted form your Spark.
But loosing a battery happens mostly in a rapid flight movement....so not sure about this.

* seeing the flight path in GE ; really bad luck, dropped almost on dry ground *

BTW first few seconds an OPTI fight, due to low GPS reception. After 9 seconds HP was recorded after some fwd flight, so HP was not set at take-off position.Bad? well, if disconencted and a RTH will land not where you are.... (this case HP just above water)

My advice is to take-off (if possible) > 20 meters away from the waterfront, just to be sure that if will RTH with dry feet.
Guess you will buy a new drone, go for the MA. (or buy my Spark)

cheers
JJB

2019-3-10
Use props
fanse5c5d185
lvl.1
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 3-10 03:04
Hi N,

Only compass errors, but not as a low or high warning.

Hey! Thanks for looking at the data and for the tips.

I guess I will be buying a new one in the future but its an expensive loss so I will have to wait a bit.

The worst thing is that DJI is offering me a discount only to be used in the USA. I'm from Europe so after import taxes, it would almost be the same price as buying a new one locally.
2019-3-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

fanse5c5d185 Posted at 3-10 12:45

I guess I will be buying a new one in the future but its an expensive loss so I will have to wait a bit.

oke, check this site for 'bargains'

https://www.eglobalcentral.nl/

cheers
JJB
2019-3-10
Use props
ChrisJG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 3-10 13:05
oke, check this site for 'bargains'

https://www.eglobalcentral.nl/

Have you used this site? Their prices are very cheap across the range of products...of course we could get "taxed" when they reach customs in the UK, you'd be taking the chance, are they legit?
2019-3-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

ChrisJG Posted at 3-10 14:47
Have you used this site? Their prices are very cheap across the range of products...of course we could get "taxed" when they reach customs in the UK, you'd be taking the chance, are they legit?

Yes, i have used this site.

For the Netherlands i can see that the product sent from China, via the UK to my country.
No tax or import fee.

cheers
JJB
2019-3-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

fanse5c5d185 Posted at 3-10 12:45

I guess I will be buying a new one in the future but its an expensive loss so I will have to wait a bit.

Hi N,

My second thought, think you should ask DJI to review your case again.
Do not understand why they offer only a discount when a SPARK live ends this way during a normal flight.

cheers
JJB

2019-3-10
Use props
fanse5c5d185
lvl.1
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 3-10 23:04
Hi N,

My second thought, think you should ask DJI to review your case again.

Hey,

I'm in contact with the DJI support team and even escalated the case to a manager. At first they offered me 30% discount and since escalating they are offering me 40%.

It seems they don't want to admit fault and of course it is hard for me to prove it since I am unable to recover the drone.

There was clearly not a pilot error involved as I was basically hovering. I've been in contact with them for weeks now trying to get more than just the discount but no luck so far.
Or do you suggest to just send another support request?
2019-3-11
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

fanse5c5d185 Posted at 3-11 12:11
Hey,

I'm in contact with the DJI support team and even escalated the case to a manager. At first they offered me 30% discount and since escalating they are offering me 40%.

Hi N,

Good question, but i am not a partner in your dispute with DJI.

Just my (tecnical) opinion what i think has happend to your Spark, what i know for sure that this falling out of the sky is not a pilot error.

If DJI analyze your flighrecord and DAT file and DJI has trust in you ; 40% discount is not what i should offer as DJI. But having said that; its between you and DJI.

cheers
JJB
2019-3-12
Use props
fanse5c5d185
lvl.1
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 3-12 00:00
Hi N,

Good question, but i am not a partner in your dispute with DJI.

Hey JJB,

Thanks for your input. I agree with what you said.

I'll handle with DJI.

Cheers!
2019-3-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules