UK Drone Laws
1881 18 2019-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arcee2430
lvl.1

Saudi Arabia

Hello there! I'm a new pilot who's planning to buy a mavic air in the UK and be able to fly it there for personal/recreational use. This will be my first time to fly a drone as well. I don't have any license to fly a drone as well. However, I just want to confirm with the experts here or travellers who have experience in flying a drone if they're just visiting the country. Furthermore, UK has changed its drone laws recently so I just want to ask some clarifications as well.

1. Do I (not a passport holder of the country I'm travelling to) need to have a license to fly a drone if I'm going to use it in UK? Do I have to undergo some tests in order for me to fly or can I fly a drone without any license as long as its for personal use and I abide by the CAA regulations?

2. Are the drone laws posted at the CAA website up-to-date?

3. Do I need to register as a drone pilot and my drone if I'm just travelling to the UK and want to fly it there for personal/recreational use?

4. Is it correct that I should not fly 5km from the radius of an airport's flight restriction zones? Or is the 5km safe distance start from the boundary of the airport's flight restriction zone radius?

5. Where are your suggested areas to practice or fly a drone in UK? I'm taking a look at Wales, Oxford and Isle of Wight.

Thank you in advance to everyone who will answer my concerns. Cheers!

2019-3-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day arcee2430. Thank you for reaching out. Laws and regulations regarding UAVs can vary widely depending on location. The best thing you need to do to know the laws and regulations is to try to get in touch with the local government through there website where you want to fly your drone. You can also visit there official website to get some inputs on where and what do you need to operate your drone. For additional reference I will be posting an official DJI link to give you some additional flying tips. Have a safe travel and a happy flying as well.  Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/uk

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2019-3-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

1) No. There is no requirement to pass any test in the UK providing it is, as you state, being used for recreational use only. If commercial then you will need to pass the UK CAA PfCO. Note that with effect from 30 November 2019 this will change and you will need to pass an on line test though presently not applicable.

2) Yes they are. They are the authority over UK airspace.

3) There is presently no requirement to register your drone in the UK for recreational use though again, this will become a legal requirement from 30/11/2019.

4) I believe that the new law is 5KM from the outer boundary of an airport which legally comes into effect 13 March 2019.

5) Download NATS drone assist and use that to firstly exclude NFZ's. Then use google earth, YT etc. to find locations you would like to fly at. Check the area such as on line info on parks etc for local by-laws to ensure that drones are not excluded and the land is not private. There are many safe to fly locations but do your research. Central London, for example,  is a total NO - note you can receive a custodial sentence in the UK if caught flying a drone irresponsibly but big fines are more common.

Here is a link to the drone code to assist you in keeping within the law. The laws are detailed in the air navigation order on the CAA website. https://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/
2019-3-3
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

the dronecode site covers the rules for recreational usage

https://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

in response to point 5, look for a local RC club or find an open space and then check the bylaws regarding that space e.g. does the council / land owner restrict drone usage
2019-3-3
Use props
arcee2430
lvl.1

Saudi Arabia

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-3 07:12
Hello and good day arcee2430. Thank you for reaching out. Laws and regulations regarding UAVs can vary widely depending on location. The best thing you need to do to know the laws and regulations is to try to get in touch with the local government through there website where you want to fly your drone. You can also visit there official website to get some inputs on where and what do you need to operate your drone. For additional reference I will be posting an official DJI link to give you some additional flying tips. Have a safe travel and a happy flying as well.  Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flyingtips/uk

Appreciate this a lot, Stephen! Will look more into this!
2019-3-3
Use props
arcee2430
lvl.1

Saudi Arabia

A CW Posted at 3-3 07:27
1) No. There is no requirement to pass any test in the UK providing it is, as you state, being used for recreational use only. If commercial then you will need to pass the UK CAA PfCO. Note that with effect from 30 November 2019 this will change and you will need to pass an on line test though presently not applicable.

Thank you for this direct answers! Noted on all of this. Just need to clarify some info.

5. Due to some unknown reason, I don't have the NATS drone assist app in either the App Store or in Google Play Store. I have checked Airmap as it's mostly recommended by some youtube tutorials. Have you tried this before? Is this accurate enough and comparable to NATS? Afterwards, I counter check this with google earth/maps.
2019-3-3
Use props
arcee2430
lvl.1

Saudi Arabia

Ridg Posted at 3-3 07:56
the dronecode site covers the rules for recreational usage

https://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

Thanks for this! Will check it my target locations. Hopefully the private land owners are kind enough though
2019-3-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

arcee2430 Posted at 3-3 09:52
Thank you for this direct answers! Noted on all of this. Just need to clarify some info.

5. Due to some unknown reason, I don't have the NATS drone assist app in either the App Store or in Google Play Store. I have checked Airmap as it's mostly recommended by some youtube tutorials. Have you tried this before? Is this accurate enough and comparable to NATS? Afterwards, I counter check this with google earth/maps.

I only use NATS and the DJI GEO map which you will also have access to so try the latter. There are quite a few NFZ's off the east and southeast coast due to Royal Air Force training exercises and temporary NFZ's when Presidents fly over to meet the Queen lol so you should be able to get NATS when you're in the UK and I suggest using that as will show the temporary restrictions too. The Home Counties around London offer excellent locations.  
2019-3-3
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 3-3 11:16
I only use NATS and the DJI GEO map which you will also have access to so try the latter. There are quite a few NFZ's off the east and southeast coast due to Royal Air Force training exercises and temporary NFZ's when Presidents fly over to meet the Queen lol so you should be able to get NATS when you're in the UK and I suggest using that as will show the temporary restrictions too. The Home Counties around London offer excellent locations.

I wouldn't put any stock int he DJI dataset and would say NATS is probably your best bet.

Unfortunately the UK is behind the curve on this and some of the rules aren't clear e.g. "built up area" and 50m from a property is open to interpretation e.g. if you fly at 60m altitude does that count?

I was in France recently and their rules are much clearer and their geoportal is very explicit in where you can and can't fly e.g. if it's urban then no
2019-3-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ridg Posted at 3-4 00:18
I wouldn't put any stock int he DJI dataset and would say NATS is probably your best bet.

Unfortunately the UK is behind the curve on this and some of the rules aren't clear e.g. "built up area" and 50m from a property is open to interpretation e.g. if you fly at 60m altitude does that count?

50-120m above a single building such as a farm house is perfectly fine as illustrated in the drone code. The 50m rule falls in line with data protection which is why the CAA refer to DPA under this ruling as only applying to UAV's with cameras. The 150m rule for congested areas is open more to common sense. I wouldn't fly over any built up area where the risk of my injuring someone in the event of my drone malfunctioning is clearly apparent. I personally don't need a government to list every scenario for me to comprehend where is safe and where isn't. I guess the French do.
2019-3-4
Use props
Tomcatuk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28743 ft
United Kingdom

Drone Code PDF https://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/ ... ne-Code_March19.pdf
2019-3-4
Use props
arcee2430
lvl.1

Saudi Arabia

A CW Posted at 3-3 11:16
I only use NATS and the DJI GEO map which you will also have access to so try the latter. There are quite a few NFZ's off the east and southeast coast due to Royal Air Force training exercises and temporary NFZ's when Presidents fly over to meet the Queen lol so you should be able to get NATS when you're in the UK and I suggest using that as will show the temporary restrictions too. The Home Counties around London offer excellent locations.

seems like NATS is the way to go. I just have to wait until I arrive in UK though. I'll adjust accordingly with my preferred locations as per NATS' advice. Currently targeting the Needle in Isle of Wight, Mermaid Wall plus Worm's Head, Beachy Head Lighthouse and Old Harry rocks. Hopefully the queen will cooperate ;)
2019-3-4
Use props
arcee2430
lvl.1

Saudi Arabia

Ridg Posted at 3-4 00:18

Unfortunately the UK is behind the curve on this and some of the rules aren't clear e.g. "built up area" and 50m from a property is open to interpretation e.g. if you fly at 60m altitude does that count?

Decided not to fly (yet) near any property since it's my first time but hoping to get that license whenever I get lucky to do commercial shoots.
2019-3-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

arcee2430 Posted at 3-4 01:30
seems like NATS is the way to go. I just have to wait until I arrive in UK though. I'll adjust accordingly with my preferred locations as per NATS' advice. Currently targeting the Needle in Isle of Wight, Mermaid Wall plus Worm's Head, Beachy Head Lighthouse and Old Harry rocks. Hopefully the queen will cooperate ;)

They are all stunning locations to capture. I'm sure the Queen will lol Actually, she has permitted drones to be flown over crown estate foreshore and estuaries which is more than can be said for the national and heritage trust which have banned them taking off/landing on their land. That said, I don't suggest flying over Windsor castle, Buckingham Palace, Balmoral etc unless you want to be arrested...
2019-3-4
Use props
arcee2430
lvl.1

Saudi Arabia

A CW Posted at 3-4 02:28
They are all stunning locations to capture. I'm sure the Queen will lol Actually, she has permitted drones to be flown over crown estate foreshore and estuaries which is more than can be said for the national and heritage trust which have banned them taking off/landing on their land. That said, I don't suggest flying over Windsor castle, Buckingham Palace, Balmoral etc unless you want to be arrested...

lol she must've loved the view that a drone can do. nope, I don't have a plan of paying any penalty fee either.
2019-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

arcee2430 Posted at 3-5 04:59
lol she must've loved the view that a drone can do. nope, I don't have a plan of paying any penalty fee either.

I'm sure she does lol Good luck with your flying here and enjoy
2019-3-5
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 3-3 07:27
1) No. There is no requirement to pass any test in the UK providing it is, as you state, being used for recreational use only. If commercial then you will need to pass the UK CAA PfCO. Note that with effect from 30 November 2019 this will change and you will need to pass an on line test though presently not applicable.

Agree with A CW, UAV Forecast app is also pretty good at giving an idea of the weather but also using the map functions show where nearby airfields are.

The new Airport boundary rules are 5KM but this is only an extension at the end of the runways  for take off and approaches the 3km rule is still in place from the centre of the field I believe, (still best to stay clear to 5K unless you know what circuit the are running).

Also Isle of White is near me and has some nice places so does the south coast in general, on Isle of White there are 2 small airfields both GA type with no ATC (just ground to air radio for information not controlled that is)  Bembridge, larger airfield close to the coast and Sandown a great little grass strip almost next door. Sandown  (Isle of White Airport) does attract a lot of GA aircraft over a weekend and quite a few local training flights, circuit height is 1000 ft (normally left hand and there is a small walkway where the public watch us on final approach before we pass the threshold, if you want to fly near there just give them a call and tell them you might be flying nearby and they will let anyone in there circuit know you are operating close by but not above 400ft. (if its busy pop in to the cafe and have a cup of tea and watch the planes land (look out for a guy there with a Gyrocopter (its nuts! says me who fly Robbis!) in the summer there can be quite a few aircraft around the island. There are also 2 large radio transmitters so steer clear of those.

Best practice is do a little research first on some potential sites before you go and you cant go wrong also bear in mind privacy and land owners, they might have theire own rules, also there are quite few nature reserves and birds!. IOW can also be quite windy! South Wales is nice for flying, Oxford again has quite a few little airfields that can mean a lot of traffic in nice weather (that said as long as you stay below 400ft and always keep VLOS, keep an eye out and descend if needed there is no reason not to have fun!

Get practice in at low level first and always respect the wind and your battery life!

Have fun and enjoy PM me if you want any more info around Southampton and IOW ill see if I can answer!
2019-3-5
Use props
arcee2430
lvl.1

Saudi Arabia

Schmooit Posted at 3-5 12:28
Agree with A CW, UAV Forecast app is also pretty good at giving an idea of the weather but also using the map functions show where nearby airfields are.

The new Airport boundary rules are 5KM but this is only an extension at the end of the runways  for take off and approaches the 3km rule is still in place from the centre of the field I believe, (still best to stay clear to 5K unless you know what circuit the are running).

Appreciate this! Also those transmitters might be a problem with signal jamming so I do plan to avoid the airports.  Noted also on the 5KM rule. If I'll just stick to the coastline, my concerns will be reduced. The IOW's coastline is already a handful for a beginner. But my main subject would be The Needles in particular. The only main concern now is the land owners. Is it better to ask them on site or do we have an app/website for that? The Isle of Wight AONB seems like a NFZ, is it? And yeah, watching planes while having tea and biscuits sounds like a relaxing afternoon.
2019-3-17
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

arcee2430 Posted at 3-17 04:15
Appreciate this! Also those transmitters might be a problem with signal jamming so I do plan to avoid the airports.  Noted also on the 5KM rule. If I'll just stick to the coastline, my concerns will be reduced. The IOW's coastline is already a handful for a beginner. But my main subject would be The Needles in particular. The only main concern now is the land owners. Is it better to ask them on site or do we have an app/website for that? The Isle of Wight AONB seems like a NFZ, is it? And yeah, watching planes while having tea and biscuits sounds like a relaxing afternoon.

I think the ANOB could be deemed a no flyzone yes, however it depends on the time of year, and time of day and are there many nesting birds. If you are thinking of a drone and have yet to purchase Id recommend going for the Mavic 2 Pro or ZOOM or if you can pick up a Mavic Pro Platinum as they are noticeably quieter than the AIR, I have had the MPP and currently have a PRO2 and Zoom and they are much more crowd friendly, My rule of thumb is I try and go at times where there are the least amount of people around, early mornings are the best times unless trying to get a sunset. If you want sunset shots the far west of the island is great and they are much easier to get as you can rise above most places and there are plenty of public rights of way through the fields for walking.

Radio mast can always cause problems no matter where you fly so are always worth looking out for on maps (aviation maps will mark them and look out for the term HIRTA!

in the summer months birds are the biggest issue if they are nesting as they tend to get pretty aggro and try and attack which whilst unlucky a bird strike could prove costly but also from onlookers might cause concern but its tricky to know this until you get there unless you do some good research on migratory birds etc....

The needles would make some great filming but is notorious for gusts and Im not sure how well an MA would fair as there is basically no protection and a fair bit of rotor effect over the coast, that said I like a challenge! Get some practice in first and perhaps by a second hand Mavic and stick on some quieter blades if you dont want to drop too much cash just incase!

Have fun
2019-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules