Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI SMART CONTROLLER REVIEW - The ultimate media powerhouse
123Next >
30955 103 2019-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheDon
Captain
Flight distance : 7951273 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Have you ever been in a dilemma? Which device to use with your drone? Well it’s cool that you can use your IOS and Android device... but it’s just not the real thing. I know what you’re thinking now... “What are you talking about” “ I have my smartphone with me all the time.” Yes you were right... till now! I’m saying “till now” because from now on we have DJI’s latest and greatest little piece of hardware which eases our workflow and gives us extra confidence when carrying out a job.

I’ve been thinking about acquiring a DJI Crystalsky monitor because of its 1000nit brightness display. I tossed away the idea because I have enough gear to charge separately and carry around with me. It seems like DJI can read their customers minds because with the announcement of the Smart controller we have only one thing to charge. Yes I know that the phantom 4 pro+ comes with an inbuilt screen, but boy the smart controller is just in another league. In this quite extensive review I’ll show you why the smart controller is a must have in your inventory.

Tehnical specs:
Pretty sure you’re curios about what’s under the hood. The Smart controller has an 5000 miliamp battery that can be fully charged in 2 hours according to DJI. From 1% to 100% I managed to fully charge it in 1hour and 56 minutes. Depending on the usage it should last 2 hours easily. DJI Smart Controller runs android 7.1.2 powered by an ARM processor and Mali GPU. Regarding storage you have 16gb onboard memory and you can expend it with a micro sd card up to 128gb.

In the box you’ll find the Smart Controller, USB C charging cable,power brick, manuals and an extra pair of control knobs. I was surprised how little and compact the box is.

Untitled-1.jpg

2.jpg

First use & linking

DSC02823.jpg

First step is to fully charge the battery. It’s totally up to you but I prefer looking for an update and updating it before doing anything else. I feel like being up to date with the software is the way to go, knowing that old issues and bugs are the thing of the past.

DSC02831.jpg

Linking the controller to your Mavic is a piece of cake. I was surprised how fast the process is. You just need to start the preinstalled DJI GO 4 application, tap on Enter Device and link controller.

DSC02836.jpg

The Smart Controller will make several beeping sounds and a blinking blue light then you need to press a little button on your Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom just under the micro SD slot to initiate the pairing process.

linking.jpg

I can say that the Smart Controller and the Mavic 2 is the best option for all who travel a lot. I know how frustrating can be If you miss a moment because of the setup and startup time. I turned on the Smart Controller and my Mavic 2 at the same time. I took 25 seconds to be ready to fly.

startup.jpg

Design

I’m going to use the smart controller with my Mavic 2 pro since for now it’s the the compatible devices are the Mavic 2 series (Pro and Zoom), to make a general idea about the size I’m going to compare it with the stock remote that came with my Mavic 2 Pro.

DSC02810.jpg

The best part is that I have an incredible case with which I’m super happy for my Mavic 2 pro. At first I thought that it won’t fit in the case, and I will need to make some modifications like cutting out the foam to make it fit. Fortunately the foam parts are already cut out and you just need to pull them out. Carrying around all your stuff separately is just not practical. Having all in one case is the way to go.

case.jpg

The smart controller has some weight...to be more precise 630 grams. It’s a little bit heavier than your standard RC and phone together. It just feels right to hold it in your hands not to mention the fact that I find it way more comfortable. Using my iPhone X as a display is OK-ish but I find it a bit wobbly and unbalanced.I really like the standard knobs and thought it would be necessary to compare with the ones of the Smart Controller. Basically and thankfully they are the same!

3.jpg

You get an extra pair in the box in case you lose them! As you can see on the picture they are placed just inside the antennas. Nice idea placing them inside the antenna compartment there by the way. Although being the same size as the standard Mavic 2’s RC knob, you can not use it with the Smart controller.

DSC02814.jpg

The button layout is the same, so you don’t need to re-learn the button scheme. I really like that we have bigger photo and recording buttons.

bbuttons.jpg

The 5.5” 1080p 320ppi display is more than enough to see what you need, you can also say goodbye to hoods you can clearly see the display in direct sun because of the 1000nit (almost twice the brightness of our smartphones) brightness. Additional screen settings are available in the menu depending on the situation. Sharpness and colours are great It’s just one of the best secreens I used so far.

P1077637.jpg

If you planning to use the touch screen with regular gloves you’re out of luck. However you can use special ones made for touchscreens. For navigation you can use the control sticks the 5D button and the two dedicated back and ok buttons. Note: by default control stick navigation is only available in home screen file manager gallery settings etc. When the controller is connected to your Mavic 2 for flight safety they will be disabled including the 5D button.

There’s also a hidden light sensor just above the screen. Depending on the light environment it automatically brightens and dims you screen. I prefer setting the brightness level myself usually maxing out the settings.

P1077632.jpg

I’m pretty sure a lot of people has been thinking about how to correctly position of the antennas for the best video feed.

antennas.jpg

DJI gave us the answer depending on the your Mavics position in the air now you exactly know how to point them.

DSC02883-2.jpg

Ports

DJI Smart Controller has a USB-C port just below the display for charching . A USB port that supports USB hard drives/flash drives / card readers. The DJI Smart Controller keeps surprising me. I knew that android supports external peripherals so I thought I would plug in my wireless mouse in the USB socket. Guess what it works!

P1077642.jpg

This feature comes handy when you’re connected to an external monitor or TV and you need to have access to the menu from a distance without carrying out the task directly from the Smart controller.

P1077643.jpg

tv eger.jpg

The micro SD slot supports cards up to 128gb. It turns out the Smart Controller is a real media powerhouse and its also capable to take out some pretty cool tasks. Big thumbs to DJI for using a clean as possible android as an operating system. During the years I have used several devices android and IOS based tablets and phones. To be sincere because of DJO GO 4’s stability I sticked with IOS devices it just worked flawlessly but it had its limitations. A big problem I had was that I was unable to transfer RAW files to my iPhone and iPad because DJI GO APP’s share function allows transferring only .jpg via WIFI. Now with the DJI smart controller I can simply take out the Micro SD card and plug it in the controller. I’m able to show my client what I have done and I can edit raw photo files with third party apps. Snapseed is a great free app that also handles editing raw .dng files.

HDMI port

tv hook up.jpg

A long awaited feature for me... You can output video up to 4k resulotion to several screens and broadcast tools that support HDMI connection. I really like the fact that I can hook up the controller to my TV and access the created content instantly.

DSC02935.jpg

We also have the option to adjust the size and the borders of the transmitted image depending on our TV model.

DSC02923.jpg

Features

Quick menu:

You can access the quick menu or by swiping down from the top of the display or by using the button combination which is the back button and D-pad down combo. By pressing down back button for 1 sec you’re shown „the button combination diagram guide.

Screenshot_20190226-171632.png

In the quick menu you can directly access the WIFI settings, SRE setting which come very hand when you need to set your display mode depending on on the environment to enhance dark or bright parts.You can also capture your screen with just a press of a button and also start video recording your screen. I find the recorded footage a little bit choppy, I don’t reccomend you to rely on it when editing comes into account. Note: It also records sound!

Screenshot_20190227-173036.png

Go Share function:
If you want to transfer your photos captured by you Mavic series drones to your smartphone Go Share is the best method to do so. You just need to connect to your Smart Remotes Wifi, open DJI GO 4 APP under Editor Tab you access the Share Tab.

IMG_2787.jpg
Apps:
By default you’ll get preinstalled the DJI GO 4 APP, Flight Restriction Info,Tips, File Manager and Lightning browser. Lightning browser is pretty default but it doesn’t mean you can’t install another free third party browser. I managed to install Facebook Pages, Instagram and Firefox.

File Manager:

Screenshot_20190227-173009.png

It’s obviusly the app that lets you organize your files. You can move your files from one place to another. I usually buy my tech with a specific goal and idea in mind. I like to maximize the potential of the given device so I would like to share with you a scenario in which I find myself quite often. Thanks to the Smart Controllers USB and Micro SD ports you’re able to backup and share your content on the go. I’ve been in siutations where I needed to deliver only raw footage and my client wanted the material just after carrying out the job. Now I just pop out the micro SD card from the drone, insert it in the Smart Controller than pop in an external HDD into the USB port and voila. I can copy and paste instantly the files in the file manager. Backuping your work is also a good idea and also time-saving. Update:
With the latest firmware you’re able to format your Micro SD and external HDD inserted into the smart controller under the settings menu.[size=12.000000953674316px]

P1077675.jpg

Screenshot_20190227-173107.png

Note: Before plugging out under storage settings be sure to eject your external HDD and SD card to avoid data corruption and damage!

Screenshot_20190227-174219.png

Usage in direct sunlight:

P1077648.jpg

The DJI Smart Controller is just incredible, believe me real life results are much better. As I have said earlier till now I have been using my iPhone X. I have been satisfied with the stability of the DJI Go App on IOS and that’s all. In direct sunlight the display of my iPhone is barely visible not to mention my never-ending all-time problem. As you all may have experienced when your iPhone starts overheating the brightness of your display is dimmed. Smart Controller has some seriuse cooling under the hood never leaving you in total darkness. I tested the Smart Controller in direct sunlight 1000nit is more than enough to see just every detail.

P1077659.jpg

Who is it for? Being a premium product DJI targets the professionals but not only. Yes, you might find the its price a bit high „650” euros but it’s not just a simple Controller! The Smart Controller is also a media powerhouse with tons of features. Occusync 2.0 delivers flawless 1080p rock solid video feed on a gorgeous 1000nit display. In my opinion it’s a must have accesory for those who take drone photography and videography seriously. Designed to be used in harsh weather conditions from -20 to 40 celsius degrees the Smart Controller just won’t let you down.

This thread will be constantly updated! Please ket me know if you need any kind of info or request/idea so I can test it out!

2019-3-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day TheDon. Thank you for sharing this in-depth review information for the DJI Smart Controller. You did a great work and congratulations. Thank you for your support.
2019-3-3
Use props
AlansDronePics
Captain
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-3 09:35
Hello and good day TheDon. Thank you for sharing this in-depth review information for the DJI Smart Controller. You did a great work and congratulations. Thank you for your support.

Thank you for a well presented review.
A long while ago, I considered CS, but decided to buy a Samsung S9+, because of its over 1000nit screen and reliability. I admit it was a bad mistake, because screen brightness might have been brilliant, but the reflections off the curved edge glass made seeing the image worse than on my old J7 at about 750 nits. I just  use the J7 now.
Since then, the software and firmware issues for the Mavic Pro persuaded me to revert to happier times by downgrading the versions. I wonder if an earlier version of GO 4 would work on this attractive device. I also have avoided all the NFZ claptrap by downgrading. I must admit, the new gizmo looks good and it would be better than messing about with unpredictable phones.
2019-3-3
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

Great review, well done and great job!
2019-3-3
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-3 09:35

Hi Stephen! First of all thank you for your comment. I’m going to update the thread with new pics and info during the upcoming weeks. Have a nice day! Thx!
2019-3-3
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-3 09:59
A long while ago, I considered CS, but decided to buy a Samsung S9+, because of its over 1000nit screen and reliability. I admit it was a bad mistake, because screen brightness might have been brilliant, but the reflections off the curved edge glass made seeing the image worse than on my old J7 at about 750 nits. I just  use the J7 now.
Since then, the software and firmware issues for the Mavic Pro persuaded me to revert to happier times by downgrading the versions. I wonder if an earlier version of GO 4 would work on this attractive device. I also have avoided all the NFZ claptrap by downgrading. I must admit, the new gizmo looks good and it would be better than messing about with unpredictable phones.

Hey Alan! Thank you very much! The s9+ Is for sure a top-notch device hardware vise. The curved display and the coating on the display is just a mess . The Smart Controller has also some sort of coating but it is so light that reflections are very acceptable not to mention the additional scene settings.
2019-3-3
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

maddox Posted at 3-3 17:03
Great review, well done and great job!

Thank you maddox! Glad you like it!
2019-3-3
Use props
maddox
Captain
Malaysia

TheDon Posted at 3-3 23:09
Thank you maddox! Glad you like it!

You're welcome
2019-3-4
Use props
Dronie2
Captain
Flight distance : 1336365 ft
Spain

Great review. I agree with you, It's a a fantastic controller.
I have enjoyed it for more than a month.
2019-3-4
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Dronie2 Posted at 3-4 08:14
Great review. I agree with you, It's a a fantastic controller.
I have enjoyed it for more than a month.

Thank you! I'll keep the thread updated. As how I see it so far, the more you use it the more you like it! Happy for you!
2019-3-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

TheDon Posted at 3-3 23:01
Hi Stephen! First of all thank you for your comment. I’m going to update the thread with new pics and info during the upcoming weeks. Have a nice day! Thx!

You are very much welcome TheDon and thank you so much for the supporting DJI.
2019-3-4
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

AlansDronePics Posted at 3-3 09:59
A long while ago, I considered CS, but decided to buy a Samsung S9+, because of its over 1000nit screen and reliability. I admit it was a bad mistake, because screen brightness might have been brilliant, but the reflections off the curved edge glass made seeing the image worse than on my old J7 at about 750 nits. I just  use the J7 now.
Since then, the software and firmware issues for the Mavic Pro persuaded me to revert to happier times by downgrading the versions. I wonder if an earlier version of GO 4 would work on this attractive device. I also have avoided all the NFZ claptrap by downgrading. I must admit, the new gizmo looks good and it would be better than messing about with unpredictable phones.
I use a Note 8, also over 1000 nits. Works brilliant. It also does QuadHD (near full 4k) which the smart controller doesnt. - Furthermore the Smart Controller uses a cheap conventional LCD which is far inferior to AMOLED (Samsung) or other OLED's with far greater contrast and colour saturation. -

As I always carry a phone I really cant see the issue of combining phone and remote. Ingenious and lighter.

Perfect and I love the small form factor of the foldable controller plus the seperate flight data display.

If the smart controller had originally come out with the drone I would most likely have purchased the foldable R/C as the main controller.

I think it fits the ethos of the small and compact Mavics well.

That it is almost half the price of the smart controller makes it a no brainer.

Some have mentioned it looks more 'professional'. It doesnt, its a small plastic box.. If looking pro is important ... you likely wouldnt fly a Mavic in the first place.
2019-3-4
Use props
Unicks
lvl.1

Canada

Yet another "Review" of a controller that works with only two aircraft, almost worthwhile to do another of the Crystal Sky controller while your at it!.. showing all the "features" of another expensive, came and went DJI accessory.

So just for the people that won't read the entire review, IT WILL NOT WORK WITH THE ENTERPRISE BIRDS!!

U
2019-3-4
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Unicks Posted at 3-4 11:18
Yet another "Review" of a controller that works with only two aircraft, almost worthwhile to do another of the Crystal Sky controller while your at it!.. showing all the "features" of another expensive, came and went DJI accessory.

So just for the people that won't read the entire review, IT WILL NOT WORK WITH THE ENTERPRISE BIRDS!!

It works with only two drones at the moment, it doesn’t mean it won’t work with the Enterprise or any other upcoming ones.
2019-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great review, just one thing in your photo and all other photos I have seen , antennas seem to be placed in only one direction and this direction is more suited to craft flying directly above or below the RC, it gives the impression that this is the correct way to use, or that having antennas directly horizontal is the preferred way to use them .
2019-3-4
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 82802 ft
Germany

Thank you for the in-depth write up. I was consider the CS but that price point is hard to swallow if a) I don't fly more than 1-2 times per month or b) still want to edit the raw photos or videos before touching it.
2019-3-4
Use props
Resolving Power
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12444 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-4 12:36
Great review, just one thing in your photo and all other photos I have seen , antennas seem to be placed in only one direction and this direction is more suited to craft flying directly above or below the RC, it gives the impression that this is the correct way to use, or that having antennas directly horizontal is the preferred way to use them .

I am a rank beginner.  I have zero flights.  I just got my Mavic 2 Pro + the Smart Controller (seemed like the right thing to do - buy the state of the art and get a screen that can be read in bright sunlight).  Currently, where I live in California we have had rain for weeks on end.  Gave me time to organize, read and register.

I am getting very anxious to try out my drone!

I noticed under your name: hallmark007 and your title: Captain there is the Flight distance: 1129798.  Is that miles logged by your drone flights?  That is remarkable if that is what it signifies.  How frequently do you fly and over what time frame did you accumulate that distance?  I notice other pilots with very high numbers, too, and am rather in awe of such accomplishments.  I guess as they say: "a journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step..."  Wow, that is an impressive achievement.
2019-3-4
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

hallmark007 Posted at 3-4 12:36
Great review, just one thing in your photo and all other photos I have seen , antennas seem to be placed in only one direction and this direction is more suited to craft flying directly above or below the RC, it gives the impression that this is the correct way to use, or that having antennas directly horizontal is the preferred way to use them .

Thank you hallmark007! Yepp you're right, I guess all of us need to get used to the correct placing of the antennas. By the way connection has been great all the time regardless the antennas position. Changing positions is needed at greater distances.
2019-3-4
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

JHollimanPhoto Posted at 3-4 12:44
Thank you for the in-depth write up. I was consider the CS but that price point is hard to swallow if a) I don't fly more than 1-2 times per month or b) still want to edit the raw photos or videos before touching it.

Thank you and glad  you like it! It's a premium accessory it's value returns with frequent flying .
2019-3-4
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Resolving Power Posted at 3-4 21:32
I am a rank beginner.  I have zero flights.  I just got my Mavic 2 Pro + the Smart Controller (seemed like the right thing to do - buy the state of the art and get a screen that can be read in bright sunlight).  Currently, where I live in California we have had rain for weeks on end.  Gave me time to organize, read and register.

From my point of view you just made the right decision. Regarding flight distance I have a sync problem on the forum.     It took me like 3 years and 5 drones. In 2015 my Phantom 2 did not record the distance. Pretty sure I had like 300.000.
2019-3-4
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Stephen Posted at 3-4 09:21
You are very much welcome TheDon and thank you so much for the supporting DJI.

Thank you Stephen! It’s my pleasure!
2019-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Resolving Power Posted at 3-4 21:32
I am a rank beginner.  I have zero flights.  I just got my Mavic 2 Pro + the Smart Controller (seemed like the right thing to do - buy the state of the art and get a screen that can be read in bright sunlight).  Currently, where I live in California we have had rain for weeks on end.  Gave me time to organize, read and register.

The Captain thing is just a measure of your participation here on the forum, I have been flying for quite a number of years, I also fly other craft that are not registered here.

As a hobbyist I also have a great interest in Cameras photography and now in video, weather permitting i like nothing better to go out for the day, mostly shooting from a DSLR usually landscapes, and shooting landscapes can require a lot of time waiting for light etc, so plenty of time flying the drones.

The journey does start with a single step, but doesn’t take long before your running a marathon.
It’s a really good idea to take your time starting off, if things go wrong it can be expensive, but you will find in no time you will become very proficient and get so much more out of your hobby.

I wish you good luck and safe flying.
2019-3-5
Use props
Hartyaj
First Officer
Flight distance : 49478 ft

Australia

Great work on the review, thanks for sharing your information.
2019-3-5
Use props
JPilotR
First Officer
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

AWESOME REVIEW! After three months of waiting my SC finally arrived by FedEx today... unfortunately it required a signature and I wasn't home, so I have to wait again for the next delivery attempt! Ah, what is one more day though.
2019-3-5
Use props
fans50121fa4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 123281 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What a shiny new advert!

You fotgot to mention a few things about the not so Smart controller. Won't work on Mavic Enterprise, it shows this as working in video advert, this is false advertising. The controller can't we switched between different drones from a screen press option, why not? As this would truly be a smart controller.

Any reply will be:
An update will soon, look at our Web site for news.

Products that are incomplete, should not be put on sale, I could have paid for a much cheaper paper weight, instead I paid for the Smart Controller on the strength of a false advert!
2019-3-5
Use props
TBoyAZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 31345 ft
  • >>>
United States

Was Image Latency any better on this verse the other option of having a phone or tablet connect via a cable?And i am assuming you can tether it to smart phone in order to post online content directly from the controller?
2019-3-6
Use props
bjr981s
Captain
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans50121fa4 Posted at 3-5 21:07
What a shiny new advert!

You fotgot to mention a few things about the not so Smart controller. Won't work on Mavic Enterprise, it shows this as working in video advert, this is false advertising. The controller can't we switched between different drones from a screen press option, why not? As this would truly be a smart controller.

I can see from your DJI product Icons that you have a lot of experience with DJI products and we should value your opinion.

I have a Pro and a Zoom and I bought 2 smart controller one for each. I think they are a fantastic product.

Re your comment on unfinished products. We would have no cars, no aircraft, no smart phones no tablets, PCs,  no products at all. Microsoft would never have released DOS. Intel would never have created the first Microprocessor (the 4004) If we followed that strategy.

Personally I dont want to live in a cave.

2019-3-6
Use props
fansdd8bdbb6
New

United Kingdom

Does this smart controller work with the Mavic Air ?
2019-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Hartyaj Posted at 3-5 03:08
Great work on the review, thanks for sharing your information.

Thank you very much!
2019-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

JPilotR Posted at 3-5 13:42
AWESOME REVIEW! After three months of waiting my SC finally arrived by FedEx today... unfortunately it required a signature and I wasn't home, so I have to wait again for the next delivery attempt! Ah, what is one more day though.

Awesome! I know the feeling )! Hope it got delivered today!
2019-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

fans50121fa4 Posted at 3-5 21:07
What a shiny new advert!

You fotgot to mention a few things about the not so Smart controller. Won't work on Mavic Enterprise, it shows this as working in video advert, this is false advertising. The controller can't we switched between different drones from a screen press option, why not? As this would truly be a smart controller.

In my case and from my experience it works like a charm. I can not comment things I did not experience. I'm sure Enterprise compatibility is also in the works.
2019-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

TBoyAZ Posted at 3-6 02:45
Was Image Latency any better on this verse the other option of having a phone or tablet connect via a cable?And i am assuming you can tether it to smart phone in order to post online content directly from the controller?

Till now I have been using an iPhone X with which I did not experience any latency. Although when I switched to the Smart Controller I found the transmission more fluid... Tethering and online connectivity is being tested, be sure to check back to the article, I'm going to share my thoughts and pictures regarding this topic.
2019-3-6
Use props
djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1643907 ft
United States

Thx for the review...
I have just 2 points to add that some may be interested in, regarding screen recording and SD Cards in SRC.

1) I always screen record, so if something starnge happens, Ill have something to go on. I prefer this over cache video.

The problem is, and Ive verified using a system monitor, as soon as you start screen recording, the CPU load goes up to 100% and stays there. Once your in GO4 and flying, the live feed is studdery. Its still usable but barely. I wouldve like a bit more processing power, but not much can be done on that now

Thats 1 of the bad. Now 1 of the good.

2) Updating SRC to .0400 fw, which brought v4.3.14 GO4, formatting the SD card is available. This adds external SD to system, as usual in your phone.

What Im happy to report is that upon formatting, I saw a blanked out option (stating itll be avail in future update) to format the SD as Internal Mem, thus turning your 16GB into 128GB.

Lets hope they follow thru?
2019-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

fansdd8bdbb6 Posted at 3-6 06:39
Does this smart controller work with the Mavic Air ?

Unfortunately not. Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom are supported at the moment!
2019-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

bjr981s Posted at 3-6 04:25
I can see from your DJI product Icons that you have a lot of experience with DJI products and we should value your opinion.

I have a Pro and a Zoom and I bought 2 smart controller one for each. I think they are a fantastic product.

Thank you for your support ! I started my career with a Phantom 2, Phantom 3 and also owned the first gen Ronin. The reason I have experience with DJI products is because I'm hundred percent satisfied with their products. Never had major issues... I totally agree with you regarding the unfinished products but the Smart Controller is everything but not unfinished... believe me I did not have any issues so far, will point it out if something bothers me .
2019-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

djiuser_Tuuz94kwu5xM Posted at 3-6 07:54
Thx for the review...
I have just 2 points to add that some may be interested in, regarding screen recording and SD Cards in SRC.

Hey! Thank you very much and thanks for updating us with the Screen Record function ! A faster CPU would have brought the price tag even higher, maybe some upcoming software optimisations will add some extra smoothness. 2) Yep it's a nice addition, eagerly waiting for it to be available!
2019-3-6
Use props
dancopter
First Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

It will really shine in warmer weather, since the iPhone will auto-dim (I.e. less than 600 nits), but the smart controller will maintain 1000 nits.
2019-3-6
Use props
victorgo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 483379 ft
  • >>>
Vietnam

I am still sticking with CS as I have multiple DJI drones and the smart controller is not compatible to all. Have CS and being able to use it on all my DJI drone is a no brainer investment. All the “advantage” that you claim to have with the smart controller can be achieved by CS too. I can also use the screen for a longer period of time before having the need to recharge the battery. An additional advantage of CS is the ability to just swap batteries and you are good to go again. I do not have to leave my controller to charge with the screen.
2019-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

dancopter Posted at 3-6 08:08
It will really shine in warmer weather, since the iPhone will auto-dim (I.e. less than 600 nits), but the smart controller will maintain 1000 nits.

Yepp! There reason I had enough using iPhone and iPads... When the device starts to overheat auto-dim kicks in and leaves you in total darkness...
2019-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

victorgo Posted at 3-6 08:11
I am still sticking with CS as I have multiple DJI drones and the smart controller is not compatible to all. Have CS and being able to use it on all my DJI drone is a no brainer investment. All the “advantage” that you claim to have with the smart controller can be achieved by CS too. I can also use the screen for a longer period of time before having the need to recharge the battery. An additional advantage of CS is the ability to just swap batteries and you are good to go again. I do not have to leave my controller to charge with the screen.

I truly respect your point of view! The CS is still a great device but I prefer the compactness of the  smart controller. For unpredicted scenarios where getting airborne as fast as possible, the Smart Controller is a clear winner.
2019-3-6
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules