Devastated
1229 18 2019-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
regnis
lvl.1
Australia

Hi,
I have just returned from a week in NZ to find that i've lost some of the best drone footage that i've ever captured on my Mavic Pro using Lexar 633x cards. This footage included amazing remote walking trail but more importantly, a friends wedding.

It is very strange but i have all the footage from the first couple of days and the footage from the last day but have lost numerous shots in between. I went into settings and found that my drone had somehow resorted to a "reset" filing system, rather than "continuous". This is even more strange because i have not updated my drone in over three months so i'm not sure why it has changed to that setting.

Anyhow, I then went shot a commercial shoot last tuesday and came home to find only 2 of the 3 shots i had captured (of course it was the best shot that was missing). I still have the flight log and sample frames from the shot on my phone.

So i have now gone in and changed the setting to continuous and formatted all my cards. Had a commercial shoot yesterday and it looks like all the shots are there thank god.

Just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone has experienced something similar? i've been shooting with the Mavic for over four years now and have never experienced this.
Adam
2019-3-3
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear that!
2019-3-3
Use props
BobB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Thanks for the heads up
2019-3-3
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Ouch, what an unpleasant surprise.
Many years ago when I was a boy, I was on a trip to the Danish sunshine island, Bornholm. With me I had my sparkling new photo camera and I took a lot of shots while I was there. On the trip home to the mainland, I lost the bag with the camera and all the pictures I was looking forward to see. At that time, there were no digital cameras, so the pictures were on film rolls to be developed first. Of course, I was sorry to have lost both the bag and the camera, but the worst thing was without a doubt the pictures. So I really feel with you.
2019-3-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That’s tough. But shooting with Mavic for over 4 years, Mavic was released in 2016 October so over 2 years .
2019-3-3
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch that sucks.
2019-3-3
Use props
regnis
lvl.1
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 3-3 17:00
That’s tough. But shooting with Mavic for over 4 years, Mavic was released in 2016 October so over 2 years .

Sorry, yes, you're correct. Had the Phantom 3 prior
2019-3-3
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Sounds like a problem with the SD card. Writing images to the card sometimes fail. Had the same problem with one of my Sandisk cards a while ago. Will work at times after a format, but will resort to skipping images as time goes on. Personally, I would not trust it for important work.
2019-3-4
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Sorry to read that buddy
2019-3-4
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Totally agree with Dirty Bird.  The guy that got me into computer way back when explained it like this.  There are two kinds of people in this world that work with computer.  Those that have lost their Data, and those that haven't lost it YET!  I have crossed that line many times.  When I go on vacation, each day I copy all the files from my MP, my Canon Camera, my GoPro's onto my laptop.  Then copy them to an external drive.  I'll clean off the chips in the camera ONLY after they are on the external.  Then they stay on the laptop and on the external until I get them home and backed up again.  Which explains why I have 5.5 TB of drives in my home computer and another 8 TB on the shelf in externals.  
2019-3-4
Use props
sanuk
lvl.4
Australia

"Lexar 633x cards".  These old and slow Lexar cards might be part of the problem.

Those cards may not be fast enough for handling high bit-rate video reliably. The 633X cards only write at 20-45/MBs

Lexar themselves say, for example with the 64GB card: " up to 95MB/s read, up to 45MB/s write"
https://www.lexar.com/portfolio_ ... rosdxc-uhs-i-cards/

But in real life camera tests, the best you are likely to get is 25/MBs write speed.

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.co ... o-sdxc-memory-card/

Since the Mavic v1 can write video at  60 MB/s,  the 633X Lexars may be unable to reliably handle the work they are being asked to do.
2019-3-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that
2019-3-4
Use props
regnis
lvl.1
Australia

Thank you very much for all the advice guys. Great forum.

About to purchase some new cards now. Anyone got advice on the best cards I can buy for the Mavic 1 with the intention of upgrading to the Mavic 2 soon?
2019-3-4
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-E ... amp;tag=googhydr-20

This will work in both AC.......no sense in buying twice!!

Randy
2019-3-6
Use props
jerome42
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10617 ft
France

To avoid that, it's better to buy a card reader for smartphone and copying datas on the smartphone.
2019-3-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

If you are doing commericial shoots or taking once in life time pictures, I would suggest multiple (tested) micro-SD cards.   

In case of commericial shoot, mutiple cards in a single day.  With quick reviews, when possible.

For special tour or trip, one card per day.  With quick reviews during day.  Backup those travel pics all up to USB thumb drive and ship thumb drive home.
2019-3-6
Use props
regnis
lvl.1
Australia

jerome42 Posted at 3-6 11:02
To avoid that, it's better to buy a card reader for smartphone and copying datas on the smartphone.

Great idea!
2019-3-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depending on video resolution or stills format used, you can download the original files from Mavic Pro to the display device using the editor in DJI Go 4. Worth having a look at as an alternative means allowing you to save files and reformat aircraft SD card.
2019-3-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I was going to say the 'pro' version not really required, but at that price a no brainer
2019-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules