Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Disabling obstacle avoidance won't disable upward sensor
4831 8 2019-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ijd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 925030 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Hi,

I've made a test flight with my Mavic 2 Pro inside my house with the obstacle avoidance disabled. However, I've noticed that the aircraft would stop ascending approximately 1m away from the ceiling. The DJI GO 4 app would pop-up a notification stating "upward obstacle detected".

I think this might be a bug in in the firmware.
2019-3-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and sorry for some trouble. With regards to that actually, this is normal the upward sensor will still work even the obstacle avoidance is disabled. Best regards!
2019-3-5
Use props
Niknik
Captain
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

This is very normal
2019-3-5
Use props
Swedrone
Captain
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

It´s true and actually saved me a couple of tímes. I always disable all form of obstacle avoidance.
2019-3-6
Use props
ijd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 925030 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

I would say that the downward obstacle avoidance should stay on due to proper landing detection, but the upwards should be disabled if the user disables obstacle avoidance. The issue is similar to the one Sebastian explains here at 4 min and 36 secs:

I'm concerned with 2 aspects:
1) If I'm flying indoors and the roof is about 2,5m tall, I will have the drone going only to about 1,5m due to obstacle avoidance, and that will still hit people. And when I mean people I mean my friends and family.

2) I'm especially concerned with flying under small roman bridges, the obstacle avoidance might lower the drone too much and hit some rocks or go into water.

2019-3-6
Use props
Niknik
Captain
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

ijd Posted at 3-6 06:44
I would say that the downward obstacle avoidance should stay on due to proper landing detection, but the upwards should be disabled if the user disables obstacle avoidance. The issue is similar to the one Sebastian explains here at 4 min and 36 secs: https://youtu.be/ekExmegBDA8?t=276

I'm concerned with 2 aspects:

Maybe if it was stopping 10 or 20 cm far from a top obstacle or even better if its possible the operator to choose how far the drone will stop then it could be much better.
2019-3-6
Use props
fansa3e2929f
New
United States

Is there any way to disable the upward sensor?  I am a drone pilot for a police department.  Our team practices clearing buildings with our drones from the outside.  This week there was a particularly narrow winding stairwell with overhang that triggered the top sensor and did not allow the magic 2 pro to negotiate the stairwell.  The mavic airs do not have that sensor and were able to negotiate just fine.  I understand normally you would not want it disabled, but if anyone knows how please post.
2019-11-6
Use props
parkgt214
First Officer
Flight distance : 1167008 ft
United States

How well does the M2 do indoors and what mode(s) is used.
2019-11-6
Use props
Big Adventure
New
Flight distance : 3829432 ft
Lithuania

Cover IR sensor with Aluminium Foil (Shiny side to IR) and you good to go. All IR light bounces back to sensor undisturbed and drone flies tight places
2021-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules