Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fly Away? More Like Fly Down And Disappear...?
1645 35 2019-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg
lvl.1
United States

Hi,

TL;DR - I've had a very frustrating experience with DJI Customer Care whereby my warranty and DJI Care claims have been denied. The alternative is that I've been offered a replacement Phantom 4 Pro Plus Obsidian for $674US (a price that has changed three times in the last seven days).

Background...fairly experienced pilot, and FAA 107 licensed. I was flying over the Pacific Ocean, close to the shore, in Huntington Beach, CA...shooting some small surf. I was not watching the drone at the time of the disappearance; I was operating the UAS controls and framing the shot while having my visual observer track the craft with his unaided vision.

I was about 700 feet from the UAS when it went down, at a height of about 22 or so feet. According to DJI, they cannot explain what happened next. Apparently, they cannot say that it's user error but they also refuse to say that it's not. I was flying in GPS mode, I was flying steadily, I was backing away from the subject in order to better frame the shot when I received an error message stating "lost signal." I looked toward the UAS but couldn't see it. My visual observer said he was watching it fly backward and then it went down and he couldn't see it over the incoming waves. I pressed return to home and I waited...for 30 minutes with the controller still powered on and untouched after the RTH.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/K3FYGWOKFF9OFM8B0CW2/

I had DJI Care and the UAS was still under warranty.

DJI's claim is that it won't be covered by DJI Care because it can't be recovered (uh, because it's in the ocean). And they say that they will not cover it under the warranty because they can't determine what happened (it didn't come back). They offered 30% off the price of a replacement, which as of early last week was $1099 (Phantom 4 Pro + Obsidian w/o remote or charger). When I called to get some pricing clarification (they invoice inconsistently on the P4P+ "w/o rc or charger), the issue was "escalated" and I was then offered 50% off. Grudgingly, I figured I'd cut my losses and replace my P4P for 50% off of the $1099 and call it a day. Lo and behold, the NEW invoiced price when sent to me after the "escalation" was $1499. So the "new" price was 50% off of $1499. The old price was 30% off of $1099. For a drone that DJI.com lists as "no longer in production," the P4P sure seems priced strangely, especially given that a new Mavic 2 Pro or P4PV2 are each priced at ....$1499 (and for that price you get the charger, the battery, etc.). Hmmm. So, yes, while I recognize that $674 is a great price on a new P4P+, I also know that 1) this really should be a rather simple warranty situation and 2) the arbitrarily fluctuating prices for this product makes this a matter of principle. I have other drones to fly, this isn't a matter of "getting back in the air." I want to have an explanation that makes logical sense.

Needless to say, I'm not buying an obsolete model if they're claiming its price is equivalent to the current models. And now the $674 number out of nowhere, an arbitrary number that DJI Customer Care calls, "the final solution" (I tried to explain why that was a poor choice of words...whoosh). At the root, of course, it seems like it should fall under warranty. If they can't definitively say pilot error, then why is it on me by default?

Anyway, here's the flight record of the final flight of beloved "Drone 13" (maybe 13 IS bad luck). Here's the video of that flight as well. Can anyone enlighten me on what I'm missing in relation to fault determination? Is there anything more to that flight log than I'm seeing? It seems straightforward to me but this is my first time to this forum so maybe I'm missing the obvious. I'm not understanding how this is anything but a product-level issue; I also don't know anything about the flight records, logs, etc., but from that log, it appears that it took off with full battery, everything went smoothly and then 3 minutes or so in, it just disappears. Anyone else have experience with wildly fluctuating warranty pricing and serious two-month run-arounds with DJI Customer Care? How common is all of this? Seems like a company filled with polite little robots who don't actually want to solve any problems or think too much about anything. I'm stumped.

Any help is greatly appreciated in advance.

Thanks!

2019-3-4
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Doesn't look like you did anything wrong.
2019-3-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If they can't definitively say pilot error, then why is it on me by default?
Your flight data just stops with the drone in steady, stable flight.
There's nothing in the data to show what happened after that.
If you had something to prove it was a DJI issue, they would cover it.
If you could recover the drone, they could look at the internal flight recorded and probably sort the issue in your favour.
But you can't and that's the cjhance you take any time you fly somewhere that recovery is not possible.

Anyway, here's the flight record of the final flight of beloved "Drone 13" (maybe 13 IS bad luck). Here's the video of that flight as well. Can anyone enlighten me on what I'm missing in relation to fault determination? Is there anything more to that flight log than I'm seeing?
Your flight data just stops with the drone in steady, stable flight without any sudden changes in pitch, yaw or roll that would show if there was a collision.bird strike etc.
That suggests a sudden loss of power but what might have caused that isn't clear.

I recognize that $674 is a great price on a new P4P+,  I also know that 1) this really should be a rather simple warranty  situation.
It's a very good price
Since DJI haven't been making any new Phantoms since last October and have been out of stock for 4 months, it's not such a simple matter to replace yours.

Needless to say, I'm not buying an obsolete model.
A P4 pro is not really an obsolete model.
They replaced the P4 pro with the V2 but it was only a minor variation with no significant improvements over the original P4 pro.
Either one is still the best ready-to-fly camera drone you can buy (if you can still find one).

2019-3-4
Use props
djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the reply...very appreciated.

"If you had something to prove it was a DJI issue, they would cover it." Is there anything I could have done differently so that I might have something to prove that? Are you referring to recording my flights with an external camera or is it something else?

You basically nailed it..."Your flight data just stops with the drone in steady, stable flight without any sudden changes in pitch, yaw or roll that would show if there was a collision.bird strike etc."

I'm trying to figure out what to do differently in the future because I have no idea how to avoid what happened because I have no idea what did happen. Seems like a power loss with a 90% battery would be drone error...?
2019-3-4
Use props
djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg
lvl.1
United States

Also, the video in the above link didn't work...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Slu1C8A-B7-alt6D750if3KWMxot__oN
2019-3-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, we're sorry for the inconvenience. I managed to get your case number via the forum information. Upon checking the case, the data analysis result is inconclusive as the flight records interrupted suddenly. and I'm sorry that we can not deduct what happened afterward without data. For the discount quotation issue, I've forwarded to the designated team to investigate and help you get an update soon.
2019-3-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg Posted at 3-4 18:09
Thanks for the reply...very appreciated.

"If you had something to prove it was a DJI issue, they would cover it." Is there anything I could have done differently so that I might have something to prove that? Are you referring to recording my flights with an external camera or is it something else?

Seems like a power loss with a 90% battery would be drone error...?
It might be .. or it might be due to something else like a battery that wasn't properly latched.
It's hard to tell without definite proof.
2019-3-4
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What did you have P4P or P4P v2? if it was the latter then you can rule out improper battery fitment due to its latch warning that would then instantly point to a loss of power by component.

You asked what you could do differently State Farms insurance i think its called over there (confirm that before purchase lol)  insure the drone and leave refresh and care alone if you are going to fly over water.

I have one theory, is it at all possible that ocean spray or even a wave got it/got in there causing a short?,  you was flying very low and on a day that was gusting over 40mph, the mean speed alone was 25mph and was only getting stronger that day. It was prime time for the Santa Ana winds and the direction does show that its a very good indication that there would have been a decent swell, surf conditions, the waves can easily be 15ft+ over there and thats mighty close to your flight height, you did say your spotter couldnt see it because of the incoming waves... just a thought is all
2019-3-4
Use props
Aerial-Image
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Getting Swamped by a wave looks a possible cause ...
2019-3-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg Posted at 3-4 18:13
Also, the video in the above link didn't work...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Slu1C8A-B7-alt6D750if3KWMxot__oN

ALthough the flying into a wave theory seems popular, it looks unlikely.
The VPS was working and accurately showing the height of the drone above the water.
It shows that the height of waves was not great and at the end of data, the drone was 22 feet above.
2019-3-5
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Bashy Posted at 3-4 20:39
What did you have P4P or P4P v2? if it was the latter then you can rule out improper battery fitment due to its latch warning that would then instantly point to a loss of power by component.

You asked what you could do differently State Farms insurance i think its called over there (confirm that before purchase lol)  insure the drone and leave refresh and care alone if you are going to fly over water.

Conditions like that can produce wind shear as well.  Wind shear has brought birds of all sizes down hard.
2019-3-5
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 3-5 00:22
ALthough the flying into a wave theory seems popular, it looks unlikely.
The VPS was working and accurately showing the height of the drone above the water.
It shows that the height of waves was not great and at the end of data, the drone was 22 feet above.

I did see that too but i was thinking along the lines that it may have been inaccurate due to it being water, it did fluctuate quite a bit throughout the whole flight, there was also a high wind velocity warning when it was only about 18ft high.

I think we can perhaps rule out the battery actually coming out as i believe the bird was pitching forward at the time the log stops unless i red that wrong :/
2019-3-5
Use props
djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-4 19:12
Seems like a power loss with a 90% battery would be drone error...?
It might be .. or it might be due to something else like a battery that wasn't properly latched.
It's hard to tell without definite proof.

Well, that possibility was eliminated by my unfortunate genetics; my OCD REQUIRES me to fidget with anything that latches, clicks, catches, locks, switches, etc., until is is absolutely secured and locked down and correctly positioned. My P4P+ battery is no exception to the rule.
2019-3-5
Use props
djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 3-4 20:39

Thanks for the reply!

Drone was a P4P+, but OCD precludes the battery fitment issue, I assure you. Interesting that they added that battery lock feature on subsequent models, though; must have been a fairly common issue for them them with the P4P+. It's an interesting point, though, and you're not the first one to make it; if it happened often enough to be the first thought for people, and subsequent models remedied the problem, then maybe it was a fault in the P4P...

As for the wind/weather, that wasn't my experience that day. It was calm and clear...the winds had laid down by then. The flight record shows one "high wind warning" but it was very mild "off-shore" conditions.  A mild off-shore is really the only wind that is good for surfing and even then it's a very fine line between perfect wind and too much wind. That's why I was flying there that day (had flown the pier for the morning session). Key thing to remember is that big winds KILLS GOOD SURF. Frankly, as fickle as surfing and winds are, there's really no reason to ever be out there unless the conditions are such that surfers are surfing...which only happens when the wind "lays down." Surfing and wind, by in large, don't mix well at all.

Regarding surf size, it was a very mild day. Biggest set wave of the entire afternoon was, at best, 6 feet. 15 foot waves in HB break well in only one spot (certainly not there at River Jetties), are rare, and were nowhere to be found that day, the day prior or the day after. I'm always careful over the water, with my flight altitude largely pre-determined by the day's wave height (with plenty of margin of error for larger set wave). Worth noting, my altitude is a measure of height above my takeoff spot, which is about 10-12 feet or so higher than the level of the ocean. Essentially, the height of any of that day's waves is negated by the height of my take-off spot above water (by design).
2019-3-5
Use props
djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg
lvl.1
United States

Aerial-Image Posted at 3-4 23:55
Getting Swamped by a wave looks a possible cause ...

Remember, my height of 17+ feet is above my takeoff spot, not above the water. If we (conservatively) assume that the takeoff spot was 5 feet higher than the water level, then we're talking about an 18+ foot wave coming through that day (a 2-4 foot day). That just doesn't happen (without a significant earthquake or other similar event).

I'm 49 years old. I'm an OC native and a longtime ocean-going swimmer, surfer, and bodysurfer at HB. I'm VERY familiar with the spot, its winds, and its waves. Just zero chance it was a wave. Zero.
2019-3-5
Use props
djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 3-4 18:26
Hi there, we're sorry for the inconvenience. I managed to get your case number via the forum information. Upon checking the case, the data analysis result is inconclusive as the flight records interrupted suddenly. and I'm sorry that we can not deduct what happened afterward without data. For the discount quotation issue, I've forwarded to the designated team to investigate and help you get an update soon.

Thank you. My principle issue with the pricing at this point is I just want to know how it's being determined. It went from "30% off" of one price to "50% off" of a different price to "a final solution of $674" (a price remarkably close to the "30% off" the original price). The quotes have been inconsistent and now seem rather arbitrary. The fact is, pricing a P4P+ at $1499, and then discounting it some percentage is not accurate. $1499 is the price of your new drones, not your discontinued gap models. I want to know that I'm being treated fairly. It doesn't seem like I have been at this point.

I also don't like that after submitting so much data, and providing everything asked of me, that the burden of proof ends up back on me after we've reasonably eliminated "pilot error" or "user error" as a possibility. It seems to me that once we've reasonably eliminated pilot/user error as the likely culprit, then the precise reason the machine went down during the warranty period doesn't really matter to me anymore. After that, it's all distraction and deflection and speculation.

My attitude is the inverse...with all of that data, prove it's on me or warranty it, but don't take me down a rabbit hole of "possibilities" that are less likely than what actually happened (the drone stopped transmitting and left flight). This is akin to me having my MacBook Pro just stop working during the warranty period and Apple looking into it, not being able to find anything "conclusive," so not honoring my warranty exactly because they couldn't figure out what happened.

That's not how it works, actually, and the drone industry isn't immune. I did nothing wrong. The onus of determining what went wrong with the machine is on DJI, not on me (or, really, what's the point of collecting and storing all of that data in the first place?). This is precisely why we have warranties and consumer protection laws in the first place.
2019-3-5
Use props
djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg
lvl.1
United States

To be clear:

Warranty/Repair price of a replacement P4P+ is "Phantom 4 Pro Plus without rc or charger" = $1499 (with some % of discount applied later). Yes, without a remote controller, battery, props, or charger...DJI is CURRENTLY pricing a P4P+ at $1499. That's normally the price WITH rc, charger, props, battery, all accessories. That's not a fair price determination. The individual SKU price of a P4P+ without rc or controller (until this week when it was formally moved to "no longer in production") was $1099. So, a product that was priced at $1099 retail last week is now being priced at $1499 (for warranty repair purposes only apparently) with an available discount after it's been discontinued (a discontinuation does make a model effectively obsolete). That sounds much like the equivalent of wringing additional profit out of a faulty product and trying to label it as some kind of benefit to the customer. "50% off" of the MSRP of that unit is what was offered but that price was switched when the invoice was sent to me. I have only ever asked for the process to be fair, reasonable, and transparent. Manipulating prices on discontinued models doesn't seem like any of those things.
2019-3-5
Use props
djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg
lvl.1
United States

What a shame. This has been an unfortunate experience all around.
2019-3-5
Use props
Grumpy D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

SUCK IT UP...  I’m sorry but you chose to fly your toy over the ocean with high winds, you lost your toy and you can not produce any evidence that it’s not pilot error. Take the fair offer of comprise and MOVE ON. Apple or Microsoft would not offer you squat and you would be fine. Moving forward, always make sure the battery is properly fixed. An earlier post suggested State Farm Insurance, it’s my understanding that State Farm Insurance for UAVs is not available in the Republic Of California   My opinion, of cores.  
2019-3-5
Use props
djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg
lvl.1
United States

Grumpy D Posted at 3-5 14:22
SUCK IT UP...  I’m sorry but you chose to fly your toy over the ocean with high winds, you lost your toy and you can not produce any evidence that it’s not pilot error. Take the fair offer of comprise and MOVE ON. Apple or Microsoft would not offer you squat and you would be fine. Moving forward, always make sure the battery is properly fixed. An earlier post suggested State Farm Insurance, it’s my understanding that State Farm Insurance for UAVs is not available in the Republic Of California   My opinion, of cores.

Thanks for your reply, and for the polite tone.

The burden is not on me to prove it's not pilot error. The burden is on DJI to prove that it was pilot error. They can't do that.

2019-3-5
Use props
Grumpy D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg Posted at 3-5 14:40
Thanks for your reply, and for the polite tone.

The burden is not on me to prove it's not pilot error. The burden is on DJI to prove that it was pilot error. They can't do that.
I love you too.
2019-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg Posted at 3-5 13:18
After two months of run-around, distraction, deflection, and dishonesty from DJI, I am forced to file suit over this. I will update all of you as to the outcome. I believe that normal American consumer protection laws still apply here and I'm going to be one of the early battlers prior to an imminent class-action suit. Blaming battery fitment, or even implying it at this point, seems odd, especially given that the subsequent model updates have "corrected" that problem. In other words, "this problem that we admittedly needed to correct seems to be why your drone went down." I think a battery fitment issue is a quantum leap in the "forensics" here (not to mention just so very convenient for DJI). I'm not going to show my hand too much here, but I'm an organized OCD guy with everything I need to prevail. We'll see what the conventional non-drone minded courts think of drones (those things they already hate without exactly knowing why).  

What a shame.

After two months of run-around, distraction, deflection, and dishonesty from DJI, I am forced to file suit
What dishonesty from DJ?
You're grabbing at straws with your ideas on battery fitting..
The inclusion of the battery sensor on the V2 update doesn't necessarily indicate a design problem in the earlier model.
It could be just an additional feature to assist when users fail to properly secure the battery.

That's an interesting legal concept.
There are 100 things you could do with a drone that could cause its loss.
But you think the manufacturer should accept an assumption that it was a manufacturer's issue without evidence?
Good luck in court using that kind of reasoning.

One of the likely causes of your incident was that it was a DJI issue.
But because you chose to fly where recovery was a problem and you are unable or unwilling to get the drone back for DJI's analysis, you just have to suck it up.
Unfortunate but that's how it is when you fly in locations where you won't be able to get the Phantom back if things go wrong.

2019-3-5
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey WoSa

You've been in Huntington for years you say.....you MUST know some divers that wouldn't mind helping for the price of lunch and a beer!

GO GET YOUR AC BACK.  It's not that far off the shoreline, and if you get going, you can beat the next storm and tides!!!  You should have been doing this, before you got on this board.

ALSO,  here is 1 scenario......the AGL indicator showed 17ft at time of loss.   17ft from take off point .... we all know what that means.  Most of us also know that the reading provided ON SCREEN is usually incorrect for reality purposes.  March 4th at Huntington Beach....High Tide 8:49pm at 5.71ft

SO,  figure you were flying late afternoon......after 4pm maybe after 5pm....average tide at +3 to 4ft......ADD to that a 3-4ft swell,  and your AGL reading is off 50% low. Now you are at 8ft water level......and the AGL is reading 17ft, but in all reality.... your bird was at 8ft........that will put a drone in the drink 100% of the time.....just bad planning and bad luck.

Were you recording at the time????  IF so,  start your GO4 app......not connected to your RC.....main screen...right side....bottom...."me"  click that......if you were recording you might SEE what happened.

Good Luck!
ps:  "Worth noting, my altitude is a measure of height above my takeoff spot, which is about 10-12 feet or so higher than the level of the ocean. Essentially, the height of any of that day's waves is negated by the height of my take-off spot above water (by design)."

The above quote,  is dependant on the barameter altitude meter being accurate.  The pressure on land at take off can be much different than over water many minutes later....hence the possibility of erroneous altitude reading.

Please folks,  this is just 1 possiblity of what MIGHT have happened....... ie;  1 scenario

Randy
2019-3-5
Use props
CageRattler
lvl.1
United States

Labroides Posted at 3-5 15:24
After two months of run-around, distraction, deflection, and dishonesty from DJI, I am forced to file suit
What dishonesty from DJ?
You're grabbing at straws with your ideas on battery fitting..

Read closer; it's all there. Thanks for the reply. Best wishes.
2019-3-5
Use props
CageRattler
lvl.1
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 3-5 16:04
Hey WoSa

You've been in Huntington for years you say.....you MUST know some divers that wouldn't mind helping for the price of lunch and a beer!

Yes, years. But now I've moved away. Bird went down on the second to last day of the trip. I looked like mad that late afternoon and the next morning. So more than two months before I got on this board, I had already exhaustively searched for it. Why would you think I didn't? Strange assumption.

Yes, I was recording. I linked to the video as well. Feel free to download it and have a look (or to read the whole post as a starting reference).

I knew lots of scuba divers back in the 80's...along with a few racquetball players. Do people in OC still do those 80's activities? Well, if they still do, I don't know them. If I did, I'm guessing that nobody's real interested in an HB beach dive...nobody ever was. When's the last time you saw anybody doing a beach dive in HB???????? For the price of lunch? Okay.

Any experience with the rip tides in HB? That UAV was well south of everything very quickly...I promise. Proverbial needle in the haystack...no real chance.

Lastly, your tide math is wrong (not to mention your concept of how sea level works) but I'll leave it you to figure all of that out.
2019-3-5
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

CageRattler Posted at 3-5 16:21
Yes, years. But now I've moved away. Bird went down on the second to last day of the trip. I looked like mad that late afternoon and the next morning. So more than two months before I got on this board, I had already exhaustively searched for it. Why would you think I didn't? Strange assumption.

Yes, I was recording. I linked to the video as well. Feel free to download it and have a look (or to read the whole post as a starting reference).

Well......

"My visual observer said he was watching it fly backward and then it went down and he couldn't see it over the incoming waves."   <--- YOUR statement

Remember where you stated in the same post,  " Here's my flight video"   WELL, there NO LINK to a video.

SO NO,  I didn't see that......And I looked up the tides for March 4th at Huntington Beach...I am pretty close.

What apparently you aren't getting is the fact the Altitude reading IS>>>NOT>>>>ACCURATE

There are time when I see in an open field, where MY P4 Pro says it's 15ft......I can literally walk out and stand next to it, head high and I'm 5ft 10"    You do the math. OH and read what YOUR VO stated to YOU.

BTW,  I am sorry you lost your drone.......but try,  just try to understand the things you don't.

Randy
2019-3-5
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You said  it was calm, at the time of your flight, it was far from calm and winds were only increasing that day , December 31st at 16:42 , I always look  up the weather in situations like this as it can play a part in it, what i couldnt find was swell history, well, i could but i aint paying for it lol  anyhoo, you can see from the image below, i moused over so it would show the winds for the time of the flight 22mph sustained wind speeds with 40+ gusts,  you can also see its from the John Wayne airport, so thats a Metar  and more than likely to be accurate than not ;)

2019-3-5
Use props
CageRattler
lvl.1
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 3-5 18:14
Well......

"My visual observer said he was watching it fly backward and then it went down and he couldn't see it over the incoming waves."   >>NOT>>>>ACCURATE

Thank you very much; I greatly enjoyed exchaning ideas with you.

2019-3-5
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Further to my last reply chap, i think you remember that day totaly different, you seem to think it was a calm day  during the flight,  i have just seen the video, thats not a calm day and my observations regarding the wind speeds stand, i also retract my ruling out the battery falling out/disconnecting, you was flying backwards, thats prime for an ill fitted battery to disconnect and it happens way more often that not thats why they put the safeguard in place in the v2.0 not cause of a design flaw or failing on DJI's part, but a failing on the pilots part, that being, not fitting the battery correctly.

DJI would have done the court lark via representation and would have won, i really do not think that scared them into submission ;)  I also believe its against the rules re talking of filing suit, if its not, that it deffo is on their FB groups.
2019-3-5
Use props
CageRattler
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 3-5 19:50
You said  it was calm, at the time of your flight, it was far from calm and winds were only increasing that day , December 31st at 16:42 , I always look  up the weather in situations like this as it can play a part in it, what i couldnt find was swell history, well, i could but i aint paying for it lol  anyhoo, you can see from the image below, i moused over so it would show the winds for the time of the flight 22mph sustained wind speeds with 40+ gusts,  you can also see its from the John Wayne airport, so thats a Metar  and more than likely to be accurate than not ;)

[view_image]

I wouldn't have flown in that weather, either. That wasn't the weather I was in at River Jetties or the pier. Very interesting to see that it was registering like that at SNA. I did notice that there was a single high wind warning in the log, which did surprise me but I had also checked the winds prior to flying (Avare and UAV forecast), and there were no other high wind warnings in the log of any kind.

It was definitely calm at HB at the time of my flight (and I think the logs and video largely show that), with an off-shore wind calm enough to not change the rather small waves but that SNA report, I admit, does give me pause.

Thank you for your respectful and intelligent reply! Seriously.  I wish I could have seen what the VO saw...he described it as gradual but relative to what? Having not actually seen the path, but knowing (from the VO) that it went downward, and that the screen froze before it went downward, there are still elements that I can't quite figure out but I like your idea alot better than the battery fitment idea.

2019-3-5
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The video shows a strong wind, you only need to look at the spray off the waves, perhaps you was in a sheltered spot, but out in the open it was deffo quite breezy.

Heres a tide report for that day

https://www.almanac.com/astronom ... %20Beach/2018-12-31
2019-3-5
Use props
CageRattler
lvl.1
United States

Bashy Posted at 3-5 20:26
Further to my last reply chap, i think you remember that day totaly different, you seem to think it was a calm day  during the flight,  i have just seen the video, thats not a calm day and my observations regarding the wind speeds stand, i also retract my ruling out the battery falling out/disconnecting, you was flying backwards, thats prime for an ill fitted battery to disconnect and it happens way more often that not thats why they put the safeguard in place in the v2.0 not cause of a design flaw or failing on DJI's part, but a failing on the pilots part, that being, not fitting the battery correctly.

DJI would have done the court lark via representation and would have won, i really do not think that scared them into submission ;)  I also believe its against the rules re talking of filing suit, if its not, that it deffo is on their FB groups.

All noted. And I truly appreciate you reviewing the video (seemed very hard for others). And nobody ever calls me chap, so that's sort of cool, too. ;)

You are positing either a) wind gust downdraft or b) battery fitment. You'd have to know me personally to understand why it's not battery fitment. And I haven't seen a better theory (unless you count the tide rising 10+ feet in 2m56s) than the former, so I'll move on and I guess really change nothing (because it's always going to be worth the risk to get the good shots). Cost of flying, I suppose, at this point. Genuine, non-faceitious, thank you for reading and thinking along. Separate from DJI price-swithching but very fair point(s).

[Lots of edits in order to abide by the rules, so thanks for that too.]
2019-3-5
Use props
CageRattler
lvl.1
United States

Anokadrone Posted at 3-5 05:45
Conditions like that can produce wind shear as well.  Wind shear has brought birds of all sizes down hard.

I hadn't seen this prior. Thank you. It was expanded on down thread. Appreciate your input.
2019-3-5
Use props
CageRattler
lvl.1
United States

"I'm just not that into you."
2019-3-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_5bKLzSBWoSAg Posted at 3-5 07:48
Thank you. My principle issue with the pricing at this point is I just want to know how it's being determined. It went from "30% off" of one price to "50% off" of a different price to "a final solution of $674" (a price remarkably close to the "30% off" the original price). The quotes have been inconsistent and now seem rather arbitrary. The fact is, pricing a P4P+ at $1499, and then discounting it some percentage is not accurate. $1499 is the price of your new drones, not your discontinued gap models. I want to know that I'm being treated fairly. It doesn't seem like I have been at this point.

I also don't like that after submitting so much data, and providing everything asked of me, that the burden of proof ends up back on me after we've reasonably eliminated "pilot error" or "user error" as a possibility. It seems to me that once we've reasonably eliminated pilot/user error as the likely culprit, then the precise reason the machine went down during the warranty period doesn't really matter to me anymore. After that, it's all distraction and deflection and speculation.

Sorry for the confusion. The quotation is conducted according to the previous website price which is different for various models and packages. We'll keep learning and offer a better experience for our valued customers in the future. The management will keep following up your case, hope we can figure it out soon.
2019-3-6
Use props
Anokadrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

CageRattler Posted at 3-5 21:13
I hadn't seen this prior. Thank you. It was expanded on down thread. Appreciate your input.

Not a problem, sorry about splashing the bird.  I see mentioned some "video".  Why am I not seeing a link?(never mine....found it)
For sure there is a pretty stiff off shore breeze.  

2019-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules