Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
GET RID OF DJI GEO SYSTEM!!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpencerR
New

United States

The DJI GEO System is an absolute joke. There are several points I would like to make on this:

1. I am a certified Unmanned Aircraft System pilot. I paid the $150 and passed the test proving that I can read a sectional map that tells me what areas are controlled air spaces. This is ridiculous that now DJI comes along and says, "there are airports in this area, you can't fly without permission". Well there are airports in my area, but that does not mean the air space is restricted!

2. Some will say "well your certified, but this feature is for the countless others that aren’t". Well yes that is true, but most people flying drones aren’t buying $1500 drones from DJI. They are walking into Walmart, BestBuy, Target or countless other stores and buying countless other brands that have no GPS tracking system.

3. DJI is playing police with this restriction. But they are also selling goggles?! This does not make sense because in the USA you must always keep your drone in your line of sight. They cover there butts where they might get roped into a lawsuit for someone flying where they are not supposed to, but they also want your money for their goggles.

DJI needs to get rid of this feature. It is ridiculous.

2019-3-5
Use props
DwainC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2023196 ft
United States

Just know you are not alone! There is also an API issue that prevents self unlock. See my thread about self unlocking.
2019-3-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

And DJI are not going to get rid of the feature. It is there for the thousands of idiots who don't believe the presence of an airport should stop them from flying where they want to fly. Suck it up, the system is not going away.
2019-3-5
Use props
SpencerR
New

United States

Geebax Posted at 3-5 14:34
And DJI are not going to get rid of the feature. It is there for the thousands of idiots who don't believe the presence of an airport should stop them from flying where they want to fly. Suck it up, the system is not going away.

See point number 2.
2019-3-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

SpencerR Posted at 3-5 15:40
See point number 2.

'2. Some will say "well your certified, but this feature is for the countless others that aren’t". Well yes that is true, but most people flying drones aren’t buying $1500 drones from DJI. They are walking into Walmart, BestBuy, Target or countless other stores and buying countless other brands that have no GPS tracking system.'

Sales tell a very different story. If you don't want the system, buy another aircraft.

'3. DJI is playing police with this restriction. But they are also selling goggles?! This does not make sense because in the USA you must always keep your drone in your line of sight. They cover there butts where they might get roped into a lawsuit for someone flying where they are not supposed to, but they also want your money for their goggles.'

You obviously have not read the rules. You are permitted to have an observer who keeps the aircraft in sight at all times.

2019-3-5
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

SpencerR Posted at 3-5 15:40
See point number 2.

Aloha Spencer,

You should really take Posts #3 and #5 seriously.  Geebax is spot on here.  Welcome to the new world of shared airspace.  DJI is under tremendous pressure to develop and tune their Geo Zones System for our use and as a model for other drone manufacturers.  Unfortunately other complications that have nothing to do with Geo Zones are causing delays in all of the DJI efforts.  (For example, have you tried to buy a P4 Pro V2 from the DJI Store recently?)

So have patience.  DJI is working closely with the FAA and airspace agencies in other governments to develop more expedient and fair Geo Fencing technology.  But DJI will be required by those agencies to not trust their customers, even Part 107 customers, when security issues are concerned.  If you are keeping up with current events, this will make sense to you.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2019-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree it needs to be kept up to date but equally it should be a case that no manufacturer can release a drone that does not have a similar safety feature built into it. It is not something DJI will remove so work with it or buy another brand until that brand is forced to adopt similar precautions in their products. There is nothing ridiculous in preventing manned aircraft from being placed at risk by a moron with a toy.
2019-3-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

A CW Posted at 3-5 23:16
I agree it needs to be kept up to date but equally it should be a case that no manufacturer can release a drone that does not have a similar safety feature built into it. It is not something DJI will remove so work with it or buy another brand until that brand is forced to adopt similar precautions in their products. There is nothing ridiculous in preventing manned aircraft from being placed at risk by a moron with a toy.

At least 4 other 'major' drone manufacturers also agreed to implement a Geo Fencing scheme on their aircraft, however two of them went bust and another got out of drones anyway. That only leaves Yuneec, and they don't exactly shout out in their sales pitch that they have Geo Fencing, but they do, they just call it 'FAA Compliant Software'.
2019-3-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 3-6 00:11
At least 4 other 'major' drone manufacturers also agreed to implement a Geo Fencing scheme on their aircraft, however two of them went bust and another got out of drones anyway. That only leaves Yuneec, and they don't exactly shout out in their sales pitch that they have Geo Fencing, but they do, they just call it 'FAA Compliant Software'.

I can see many countries banning drones that do not have geo built into it.
2019-3-6
Use props
KEJ
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 3-5 14:34

Exactly, there for a reason like most laws.
2019-3-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/us/white-house-drone.html
2019-3-6
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whilst in the US i can see this being frustrating due to many tiny airports with little to no traffic and many live in close proximity to these but, the GEO is there for a reason, its for the safety of ALL manned flights, and whilst its not law for DJI to be doing this, it is prudent of them add it nonetheless. If you was a manufacturer and your product brought down a manned ac and killed X amount of people, i think your conscience would be severely hit. Mitigation is the keyword in this subject.......
2019-3-6
Use props
fans0474319c
lvl.1

United States

Amen  , But the problem isn't as much with DJI as it is with the FAA. Why can't you fly below building levels in a city with a small airport nearby. I think the FAA like every other government agency has gone too far as they usually do.
2019-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules