Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark flyaway and rescue from other side of creek!
12Next >
4693 76 2019-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RJB1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 32031 ft

Australia

Two days in a row Ive had a flyaway episode. A couple of days ago I was flying directly above and suddenly the Spark just started to drop fast, no imput to the controls would stop it and it crashed hard onto a bleecher stand, luckly only the props were damaged. Then yesterday I was flying at my favorite creek spot. Because of the tree coverage it was only getting ATTI mode. Everything was going well, and then I started a low flight along the creek. I had it in tripod mode when suddenly it took off really fast and crashed into the opposite bank of the creek. Again no input to the controls would stop it. Does this mean you shouldn't ever fly in ATTI mode?

2019-3-5
Use props
nilanjan118
First Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

Did you lose signal with the RC? When you say it "took off", it could be that it was attempting an RTH and was just ascending to RTH altitude?
2019-3-5
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

nilanjan118 Posted at 3-5 17:10
Did you lose signal with the RC? When you say it "took off", it could be that it was attempting an RTH and was just ascending to RTH altitude?

Nope I don't think so. I've tried to ask how to access the logs on another thread but doesn't seem like anyone answers.

Ah my term "took off" might be confusing. You can see that it doesn't fly up, all it did was go level and forward very fast.
2019-3-5
Use props
nilanjan118
First Officer
Japan

RJB1 Posted at 3-5 17:17
Nope I don't think so. I've tried to ask how to access the logs on another thread but doesn't seem like anyone answers.

Ah my term "took off" might be confusing. You can see that it doesn't fly up, all it did was go level and forward very fast.

The log files will be stored in your mobile device. Connect it to a computer and search for a folder with string "DJI" or "Go4". Alternately, you can find the folder/file on your phone itself if you have a file manager installed.
2019-3-5
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Captain
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Post your flight records in hopes someone can find the cause. Sorry to hear about your spark. It’s very scary when that happens https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2019-3-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Scary stuff. Glad you were able to recover it.
2019-3-5
Use props
pmshop
Captain
Flight distance : 7881391 ft
  • >>>
United States

OK, that flight could be showing the effect of water reflections near the VPS sensors.
I have noted a few times of the Spark wanting to "go swim" when water reflections hit the VPS just right.
You have to be ready for that.

Please try to pull those log files out of your mobile device and post here.
Got my curiosity up.
2019-3-5
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Captain
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

pmshop Posted at 3-5 19:19
OK, that flight could be showing the effect of water reflections near the VPS sensors.
I have noted a few times of the Spark wanting to "go swim" when water reflections hit the VPS just right.
You have to be ready for that.

I was thinking the same. Doesn’t DJI say for the spark to fly above 30 meters when flying over water ?
2019-3-5
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

Sayhelloforme Posted at 3-5 18:42
Post your flight records in hopes someone can find the cause. Sorry to hear about your spark. It’s very scary when that happens https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

I keep seeing people post that site. What is it? it seems to be for phantoms and the guide to how to upload the logs is crap.
2019-3-5
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

Sayhelloforme Posted at 3-5 20:28
I was thinking the same. Doesn’t DJI say for the spark to fly above 30 meters when flying over water ?

I was definitely below that.
2019-3-5
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

Woe Posted at 3-5 19:13
Scary stuff. Glad you were able to recover it.

yeah two times in two days! not good at all. My confidence has plummeted to zero yet again. Maybe I need to quit the fancy stuff and just fly in open field for a while.
2019-3-5
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

RJB1 Posted at 3-5 22:38
yeah two times in two days! not good at all. My confidence has plummeted to zero yet again. Maybe I need to quit the fancy stuff and just fly in open field for a while.

That's no fun. Maybe time to upgrade.
2019-3-5
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

nilanjan118 Posted at 3-5 17:44
The log files will be stored in your mobile device. Connect it to a computer and search for a folder with string "DJI" or "Go4". Alternately, you can find the folder/file on your phone itself if you have a file manager installed.

OK I'm on an Iphone but Ive figured out how to access the logs, but no idea what to do with them and clicking on them its just junk.
2019-3-5
Use props
nilanjan118
First Officer
Japan

RJB1 Posted at 3-5 22:50
OK I'm on an Iphone but Ive figured out how to access the logs, but no idea what to do with them and clicking on them its just junk. [view_image]

Find the log file specific to the flight where you were facing the problem and upload it here.https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
Please share the link after that.
2019-3-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Lucky you, you bird made it over the water ;-)
Flying close over water is already tricky WITH  GPS
In the beginning you had VPS, over the water you lost it b.c of the shiny surface, methinks!
After that you were in  ATTI
Which is like in Sport, just without GPS
2019-3-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

RJB1 Posted at 3-5 17:17
Nope I don't think so. I've tried to ask how to access the logs on another thread but doesn't seem like anyone answers.

Before you where in VPS-mode (bottom sensors) and tripod, max 3.6kph
In Atti, tripod is cancelt, it is like sport, you on the sticks in forward, just not 3.6 but a lot quicker, cause the stick input is also  like in Sports

2019-3-5
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

nilanjan118 Posted at 3-5 22:52
Find the log file specific to the flight where you were facing the problem and upload it here.https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
Please share the link after that.

Ok but can you tell me what that site is? Is it DJI site, doesn't seem to be. Uploading it there does what, appears where? There doesn't seem to be any information on the website.
2019-3-5
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 3-5 23:09
In Atti, tripod is cancelt, it is like sport, you on the sticks in forward, just not 3.6 but a lot quicker, cause the stick input is also  like in Sports

Humm I don't think so. You might be right, but I took off in Atti as it couldnt get any sats where I was. Once I took off I put it in tripod mode, but it did connect to gps and disconnect again, but still it shouldnt be shooting forward with no input on the sticks from me.
2019-3-5
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 3-5 23:09
In Atti, tripod is cancelt, it is like sport, you on the sticks in forward, just not 3.6 but a lot quicker, cause the stick input is also  like in Sports

Unless it went into sport mode and the inertia was too much for it to stop even when i pulled back on the sticks. As you can see in the video, it happened in just a couple of seconds.
2019-3-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

RJB1 Posted at 3-5 23:17
Humm I don't think so. You might be right, but I took off in Atti as it couldnt get any sats where I was. Once I took off I put it in tripod mode, but it did connect to gps and disconnect again, but still it shouldnt be shooting forward with no input on the sticks from me.

So it did find GPS, for some time?

"but it did connect to gps and disconnect again"

And the "no input", just before the switching to Atti, you did fly the spark forward.
In the moment, it is switching, your input rises from low (stick position readings in tripod) to high (stick positon readings in Sport/Atti).
I assume that you needed a sec, to let the stick go.
Perhaps you watched the device in that moment, another .3 secs to realize, perhaps
To let the stick go will just stop the "push forward" impuls.
Even in GPS it needs some time to stop.
And in the end, you started to move sticks (as the bird turned sligthly)

Watch the flight record in the app, put sticks on display, check what the app tells about that.
2019-3-5
Use props
nilanjan118
First Officer
Japan

RJB1 Posted at 3-5 23:14
Ok but can you tell me what that site is? Is it DJI site, doesn't seem to be. Uploading it there does what, appears where? There doesn't seem to be any information on the website.

What's with this paranoia?  Hundreds of people use this site to analyse their flights. You can refer to other threads in this forum itself. Anyway, was only trying to help.
2019-3-5
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

RJB1 Posted at 3-5 23:19
Unless it went into sport mode and the inertia was too much for it to stop even when i pulled back on the sticks. As you can see in the video, it happened in just a couple of seconds.

Getting into Atti is getting into "Sport without GPS/restrictions"
Atti is a uncontrolled mode, unlike tripod, P-GPS, even Sport.

So it equals the Sport reactions, PLUS not "knowing where it is"
Leting sticks go means it goes the way, it went before till it runs out of energy

Check the log, post it
And be happy, you didnt fly it up, into the trees OVER the water! ;-)

Oh: And recalibrate Compass and IMU

2019-3-5
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 12132231 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi RJB1,

Good question "Does this mean you shouldn't ever fly in ATTI mode? "

My answer is YES (for the first many flights, if experienced mayby fly in ATTI ; well i never take the risk of starting to fly in ATTI with DJI drones)
My advice is :
a) Try to learn to fly your Spark in normal P-GPS stabilized modes first.
b) Understand all about what is in the manual
c) Practise to fly manually back home using the attitide/compass indicator
d) Exrecise RTH at different situations; what does the drone do at low batt, smart low batt action, critical value reached.

Your were so lucky not to loose your Spark flying that low over water, think this flight started in OPTI not ATTI. Loosing some visual reference means SPARK switches to ATTI.

ATTI is hard to control with less flying in ATTI experience, escpecially in narrow airspace to try to get the drone into control.

Agree with post #21.
cheers
JJB

2019-3-6
Use props
Aurelian Irimia
Captain
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I've never had problems flying with my Spark over the water.

2019-3-6
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 3-5 23:35
So it did find GPS, for some time?

"but it did connect to gps and disconnect again"

That sounds pretty accurate. As you say I was flying forward, it suddenly started shooting forward but would have been a second or two before I released the stick and by then it was only another few seconds before it hit the bank. I think it may have hit a tree limb which is what turned it at that last moment.

Ok now "watch the flight record in the app, put sticks on display, check what the app says about that"
can you please explain to someone that has no clue what that means, how to do that.?
2019-3-6
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

nilanjan118 Posted at 3-5 23:37
What's with this paranoia?  Hundreds of people use this site to analyse their flights. You can refer to other threads in this forum itself. Anyway, was only trying to help.

It's nothing to do with paranoia, I just keep seeing people say "put your logs up on this site" and posting that link, but then no one ever seems to do it, or at least report back in the thread what they found, and no one explains what the site is about or what to look for in the data. What is your paranoia that you can't simply explain it when I ask?
2019-3-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

RJB1 Posted at 3-6 01:39
It's nothing to do with paranoia, I just keep seeing people say "put your logs up on this site" and posting that link, but then no one ever seems to do it, or at least report back in the thread what they found, and no one explains what the site is about or what to look for in the data. What is your paranoia that you can't simply explain it when I ask?

You are looking on the wrong topics, mate.
Some people not doing that, posting the link.
But almost everyone, who has, got a answer to what might have been the reason for trouble.
You already have the attention of one of the experts for flightlogs, JJB*.
So upload it and answer HIS post with the link in it ;-)

To the flight log view WITH stick movements in it:

(on android)Click on this in the red mark:

to see this:

And after play the log

Edit:And to get a feeling, what is happening when you let sticks go, or when flying slowly in tripod (P-GPS) and it switched to ATTI, fly it on a free area from left to right, slowly in Sport , if at your line, push full forward for a sec and let the stick go.
To watch how long it needs to stop.

2019-3-6
Use props
pmshop
Captain
Flight distance : 7881391 ft
  • >>>
United States

That Phantom help site where you upload the logs converts ANY DJI flight log.
Intended for Phantom group but works on Sparks right up to the higher models than Phantom line.
Flying close over water can be done.
Just always be prepared for the "VPS Dip".

2019-3-6
Use props
Reggy777
lvl.1

Spain

Love this video, good luck
2019-3-6
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 3-6 03:16
You are looking on the wrong topics, mate.
Some people not doing that, posting the link.
But almost everyone, who has, got a answer to what might have been the reason for trouble.

This is exactly what I mean about the frustration on this site. People seem to hand out advice that don't actually know what they are talking about, or talk as if everyone knows what they know, so don't explain things properly.

On the Phantom help site it says "you'll need to access the flight records", but everyone here is saying "flight logs" Those are listed as two different things.

So when I download my flight records I get the txt files, but non of them seem to relate to the times I was flying. They all have morning time stamps, and I was flying in the afternoon.

Someone needs to write a definitive step by step guide on how to access all the data available. This is what I was asking in the first place. It seems no one here can do it and no one on that Phantom site has done it.
2019-3-6
Use props
nilanjan118
First Officer
Japan

RJB1 Posted at 3-6 15:33
This is exactly what I mean about the frustration on this site. People seem to hand out advice that don't actually know what they are talking about, or talk as if everyone knows what they know, so don't explain things properly.

On the Phantom help site it says "you'll need to access the flight records", but everyone here is saying "flight logs" Those are listed as two different things.

Hello Einstein, since you have made a great discovery about flight logs/records, why don't you figure out the rest of the steps yourself as "no one can do it" here. And while you are at it, could you please educate us which file to upload here.

2019-3-6
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

nilanjan118 Posted at 3-6 15:53
Hello Einstein, since you have made a great discovery about flight logs/records, why don't you figure out the rest of the steps yourself as "no one can do it" here. And while you are at it, could you please educate us which file to upload here.

[view_image]

You prove my point exactly, abuse people with "hello Einstein" then ignore my questions and post some other useless bit of information. If you don't know, keep out of the conversation.
2019-3-6
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

Where are the mods? Strange that they don't have anything to say on this thread. I've messaged two of them asking them to explain how this logs/records thing works and how to analysis it but nothing.
2019-3-6
Use props
nilanjan118
First Officer
Japan

RJB1 Posted at 3-6 19:18
You prove my point exactly, abuse people with "hello Einstein" then ignore my questions and post some other useless bit of information. If you don't know, keep out of the conversation.

Sure. I will keep out of the conversation. Just stop replying to me so that I don't get any further notification. Just a couple of advice before I leave.

1. Get rid of this attitude. When you have barely flown 184 ft, you are nothing but a toddler when it comes to drones. So learn to respect people instead of questioning their knowledge or experience. This "you know nothing" attitude doesn't help.
2. The screenshot which I shared of AirData UAV is not useless. It is another website which can help you analyse your flights. It has a feature where your logs/records get synced from the Go4 app directly. And since you are having trouble finding the specific flight record, this site can be useful.
2019-3-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

RJB1 Posted at 3-6 15:33
This is exactly what I mean about the frustration on this site. People seem to hand out advice that don't actually know what they are talking about, or talk as if everyone knows what they know, so don't explain things properly.

Are you sure it wasn't the 14-52-25 (pm it is) flight, mate?
Also, do you SEE that specific flight in the records of the app and can open it?
The name should be the same in the folder!
2019-3-6
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 3-6 20:31
Are you sure it wasn't the 14-52-25 (pm it is) flight, mate?
Also, do you SEE that specific flight in the records of the app and can open it?
The name should be the same in the folder!

Yep it turned out it was that one. This is what I mean about it being very confusing. 14-52-25 is the time stamp in 24hr clock, but next to it says 06/03/2019 07.39am, but that is the date modified. I'm guessing when I downloaded it from the dji go app from my phone to my laptop. I was still confused as to what files I was supposed to even be uploading to that site because everyone keeps saying "download your logs" which is incorrect, its not the log files, its the flight record files! the TXT file.

Then on that Phantom site, it doesn't seem to be written very well. When I first looked at the instructions for uploading with an Apple phone, it says you have to have itunes and a mac. I don't have a mac, but this is an error and they forgot to put in mac/windows, which I found in other places they did.

For people just starting out, this is a lot to take in, there is downloading and uploading to 3rd party sites, and files and information overload!

So with all that finally I have the data, I think this link takes you there. I've looked it over and you can see how it happens in second at the end, it just goes from tripod mode and doing 2.2mph to losing GPS and switching to ATTI mode and going at 19.6mph! Yikes.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/W57WSYGIRG1MRN09CDO0/

2019-3-6
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

And this is the one from the previous day where it just dropped out of the sky. The motors were running but there was no response from the sticks and it crashed. The only thing I can think with this one was its in somewhat of a flight path. If you look on the map you'll see the airport to the north. DJI I think has recently changed the NFZ's. There seems to be a sort of bowtie looking no fly where it use to be just a circle.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/N9PSJ3XEILJIISI53I6W/
2019-3-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

And did you look at the right stick movement?
The bird did not "fly away", you just did not let the stick go, quickly enough!
Which, I think, was your luck in this case.
It saved your bird, got it over the creek!

"14-52-25 is the time stamp in 24hr clock, but next to it says 06/03/2019 07.39am"
You are not really into computer using, are you?

Never the less:
You bird flew almost all the time with vps.
then it got GPS AND LOST IT, switched to ATTI, your "full forward" stick-position  jumped from max speed input 3.6kph to max speed 50 kph
So it accelerated.
After you did let that one go, you moved the left stick up/down/to the left (What I thought I see in the video before the impact) and pulled back the right one.
Just it needs some meter to stop the bird.
And still, I think you saved the bird with this.
It may have been more difficult to fly it back to you in atti, which would have needed just fine stick movements, to get it slowly away from the water.

2019-3-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

And now you should check this flight(record):

- A couple of days ago I was flying directly above and suddenly the Spark just started to drop fast, no input to the controls would stop it and it crashed hard onto a bleecher stand,-

See if there was a problem or what has caused the dropping
2019-3-6
Use props
RJB1
Second Officer

Australia

S-e-ven Posted at 3-6 22:36
And did you look at the right stick movement?
The bird did not "fly away", you just did not let the stick go, quickly enough!
Which, I think, was your luck in this case.

"14-52-25 is the time stamp in 24hr clock, but next to it says 06/03/2019 07.39am"
You are not really into computer using, are you?

yes I am actually, but as I say that was a lot of info all at once and wasn't looking for a time stamp in that format and my eye fell to the am one since that makes sense.

Good that you can dissect something that happened in two seconds from the comfort of your armchair! I'm sure anyone else would have reacted much quicker! yeah right lol Oh whoops I must get rid of this attitude! haha
2019-3-6
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules