Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Motor or ESC problem?
2869 10 2019-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ImranUlHaq
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi

So recently my DJI Phantom 3 standard has had an issue. The back right motor (Black tip) does not pick up speed when the propeller is attached. But when I remove the propeller, the motor works fine and speeds up just like the rest.

I believe it is a motor issue because I don't get any errors on the DJI GO app, the reason that I think it's the motor is because I remember applying pressure when removing a propeller which was stuck therefore I may have damaged the motor (this happened about 1 week ago), also the screws underneath the motor seem to be too tight and have cracked the shell, these may have also damaged the motor.

I attached a video to help you understand, I have no idea whether it's the motor or ESC chip.

https://streamable.com/xl3fd

2019-3-6
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Is it getting warmer than the others?
2019-3-6
Use props
ImranUlHaq
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 3-6 06:59
Is it getting warmer than the others?

It doesn't get really warm, it has the same amount of heat as all the other ones.
But when the propeller is NOT attached, the motor works fine and speeds up like the rest

2019-3-6
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

Sounds like there's something that's putting the motor in a bind.
2019-3-6
Use props
ImranUlHaq
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 3-6 07:17
Sounds like there's something that's putting the motor in a bind.

Well the the drone has been in a few bumps and it also had a hard landing on grass which may have caused some debris or dirt to go inside.

Do you think that a new motor may fix the problem? I just want to get some other peoples opinions as I'm not experienced enough to diagnose the problem.
2019-3-6
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
United States

I would try a new prop and not overtightening it first.  Also maybe back off the screws where the crack is.
2019-3-6
Use props
ImranUlHaq
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ALABAMA Posted at 3-6 07:38
I would try a new prop and not overtightening it first.  Also maybe back off the screws where the crack is.

Literally bought new props last week and tried it, no luck from that.
I also just unloosened the screws to relieve the tension on the motor but no luck from that either.

I'm going to go ahead and purchase a new motor and get it repaired. Something that keeps bugging me is the fact that it works fine without a propeller but soon as the propeller is screwed on, it suddenly slows down
2019-3-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about the mishap that happens on your drone. It seems that the other motor of your aircraft has damage. We would recommend contacting our support via the link below to send the unit to our repair facility for further evaluation. Please let us know if you have other concerns.

www.dji.com/support
2019-3-6
Use props
ImranUlHaq
lvl.1

United Kingdom

This issue has been fixed, turns out it was a dodgy motor - in total it cost me £25 or $34 (Motor+tools+soldering tool) I managed to fix it myself and no I didn’t buy it from DJI so I didn’t have warranty anyway.
32E917A2-62BC-4FA4-8260-124AA72CA6AF.jpeg
2019-3-14
Use props
fans17101d43
New
United States

What should I do my p3s is working but one of the motors isn’t turning though and I replaced the motor
2019-7-16
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Sweden

ImranUlHaq Posted at 3-14 16:45
This issue has been fixed, turns out it was a dodgy motor - in total it cost me £25 or $34 (Motor+tools+soldering tool) I managed to fix it myself  and no I didn’t buy it from DJI so I didn’t have warranty anyway.

Brushless motors over time - the magnets glued to the inside of the motor bell weaken ... can be because of overheating which can be caused by...
overstressed by motor being impeded / overloaded
external heat to the motor

or magnets have moved ... the glue is not as permanent as people believe ... if a couple of magnets lose the gap between them or mis-align ... even if magnets slide towards bell end ... the motor will never run properly - especially when loaded with a prop.

Usually when magnets move - you can feel it when slowly rotating motor by hand ... it 'feels' different to the others. When motor wires are shorted (without power !!) - and you turn the motor ... it should resist you as braked ... again magnet mis-alignment will reduce that brake effect.
Dismantling the motor will soon reveal this magnet problem.   
2019-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules