Spark Goes Crazy for No Reason
2770 32 2019-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 673698 ft
United States

My spark went crazy after flying fine the day before. This under 90 second video shows all:

https://vimeo.com/321616895

I will have to bring it in to DJI NYC to see if they will fix it under warranty?

2019-3-6
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi MauiMacMan,

Really weird to see that switching to Sport mode did this to your Spark, or was it someting else?

If you like upload your flightrecord on here, using > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB
2019-3-6
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

It's scary! I've never seen that happened before.
2019-3-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I've never done that, having the obstacle avoidance on, "parking" the bird in front of a "obstacle" and switching to sport.
But I'm sure, the flip should not happen.
Is that reproducable? Perhaps over some soft ground?
Would help to repair it.

And yes, I would contact DJI, get them this video and the records, from phone and from the bird.
2019-3-6
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would love to see that flight record too.
JJB's assessment as well
2019-3-6
Use props
wimherman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

I hear you say that you calibrated the compass, did you calibrate the IMU as well ? Are you up to date with the firmware ? if so, try to downgrade it maybe ?  This is kinda weird behaviour for sure.
2019-3-6
Use props
Arnie R
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80958 ft
United States

Looks very similar to an incident I experienced last year while flying above my parents' house in Florida. Started spinning and tumbling like that before I finally got control of it about 100 feet above the ground. Never did find out what happened to cause it.
2019-3-6
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

With two errors already, why in the world with an obstacle avoidance triggering would you select Sport mode???   That's just insane in my opinion!!!  What did you think Sport mode would do for you???
2019-3-6
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Now this is Spark totally going berserk.
2019-3-7
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

JJB* Posted at 3-6 07:25
Hi MauiMacMan,

Really weird to see that switching to Sport mode did this to your Spark, or was it someting else?

Thanks for your input Captain! I'll follow the link and advice of those who also commented!
2019-3-7
Use props
ArnoSpark
Second Officer
Kenya

Sorry for the incident it never happened with me before and am sure the data will help.
2019-3-7
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

Hi MauiMacMan,

I've downloaded the flight logs, maybe you can get a clue what happened?

DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-04_[17-11-50]LASTflight.pdf

537.96 KB, Down times: 1

last flight, that failed on Monday 3/4/19

2019-3-7
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

wimherman Posted at 3-6 16:24
I hear you say that you calibrated the compass, did you calibrate the IMU as well ? Are you up to date with the firmware ? if so, try to downgrade it maybe ?  This is kinda weird behaviour for sure.

Hi Wimherman, Thanks for your interest. I did calibrate the IMU just the day before, also compass in my attempt to get Spark to land close to its take off point more accurately (still more than a couple feet away in most trials before the failure). everything is up to date. Battery's fully charged in bird and remote.

DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-04_[17-11-50]LASTflight.pdf

537.96 KB, Down times: 1

failed Spark flight 3/4/19

2019-3-7
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 3-6 22:27
With two errors already, why in the world with an obstacle avoidance triggering would you select Sport mode???   That's just insane in my opinion!!!  What did you think Sport mode would do for you???

If you noticed, when I first started the drone, it didn't lift off? a 2nd attempt worked fine for a while...it seemed. In my "checking" the bench that produced the obstacle avoidance tones, as it did when "seeing" me. It "proved" that there was no problem with the Spark. It flew fine for a moment until that switch.  Normally, I can switch into sport mode without any problem - as long as I am not providing any input to the sticks. I wasn't thinking or considering that  switching to sport mode would have any effect whatsoever despite the obstacle being sensed...as long as I wasn't providing stick input? Wrong!
2019-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

MauiMacMan Posted at 3-7 11:41
I've downloaded the flight logs, maybe you can get a clue what happened?

Hi,

Hard to load a PDF file into a analyzer...so use this link and post the full link on here after uploading

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

or give a link the flightrecord.txt file on here for download
cheers
JJB
2019-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

MauiMacMan Posted at 3-7 11:56
If you noticed, when I first started the drone, it didn't lift off? a 2nd attempt worked fine for a while...it seemed. In my "checking" the bench that produced the obstacle avoidance tones, as it did when "seeing" me. It "proved" that there was no problem with the Spark. It flew fine for a moment until that switch.  Normally, I can switch into sport mode without any problem - as long as I am not providing any input to the sticks. I wasn't thinking or considering that  switching to sport mode would have any effect whatsoever despite the obstacle being sensed...as long as I wasn't providing stick input? Wrong!

AFAIK it must be possible to switch to SPORT mode like you did. With no RC input it should keep position
2019-3-7
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

Hi MauiMacMan,

Here's the URL of the flight log of the failed Spark flight:

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/64LS3XTE2GFI2ND4NC2W/

I did notice some things in RED in one of the other logs, will check and post.
2019-3-7
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

pmshop Posted at 3-6 15:09
I would love to see that flight record too.
JJB's assessment as well

Try this flight record for the failed spark flight:

2019-3-7
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

Arnie R Posted at 3-6 19:54
Looks very similar to an incident I experienced last year while flying above my parents' house in Florida. Started spinning and tumbling like that before I finally got control of it about 100 feet above the ground. Never did find out what happened to cause it.

sometimes my controller says, lost connection or something like that. but it recovers and commands the bird just fine. You still flying yours?
2019-3-7
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 3-6 22:27

BTW, since the bird stumbled upon first lift off, and was flying fine, I saw no problem in seeing if there was any challenge with other modes I could try in troubleshooting. Speed mode was the obvious choice. I would then have check the camera functioning along with the gimble which DID have a sticking problem last week. A crumb was the culprit. You gotta keep your camera's clean you know LOL
2019-3-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

MauiMacMan Posted at 3-7 12:34
Here's the URL of the flight log of the failed Spark flight:

Hi,

No funny data in this log, no strange errors.
Just exactly what is seen on the video.

After switching SPORT mode, after 1.4 seconds SPARK starts to yaw rapidly.

see data in my chart.

I have no idea what is possible the cause of this weird yawing/crashing. Hope that DJI can tell you.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
2019-3-7
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is crazy!
I guess the next question is what kind of secret government equipment might be in that facility?
2019-3-7
Use props
Nilanjan Sharma
Second Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

pmshop Posted at 3-7 14:43
That is crazy!
I guess the next question is what kind of secret government equipment might be in that facility?

Me too. Following.
2019-3-7
Use props
Arnie R
Second Officer
Flight distance : 80958 ft
United States

MauiMacMan Posted at 3-7 12:36
sometimes my controller says, lost connection or something like that. but it recovers and commands the bird just fine. You still flying yours?

Unfortunately, not since the incident last November. Not because of that, but several personal issues and the winter weather here in Virginia has not been very cooperative in that hobby or my MC riding. I have never even had time to review the footage on the SD card yet,  I sadly must admit.
2019-3-7
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

I found an earlier flight log with errors: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/E87BA1FW9J009QZNUGOF/.  FYI> I sent my spark to DJI for analysis today. I'm hoping for warranty replacement/fix?
2019-3-8
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

found an earlier flight log, first of the day that shows error messages re battery in the red? I'll have to check my batteries to see which it might be:  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/7C7236FO2O1S2VZFNLO7/
2019-3-8
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

MauiMacMan Posted at 3-7 12:38
BTW, since the bird stumbled upon first lift off, and was flying fine, I saw no problem in seeing if there was any challenge with other modes I could try in troubleshooting. Speed mode was the obvious choice. I would then have check the camera functioning along with the gimble which DID have a sticking problem last week. A crumb was the culprit. You gotta keep your camera's clean you know LOL

Okay...you make the takeoff on the second attempt after some kind of major problem earlier.  You fly slowly forward, make a turn to look at the lake and bench, turn it towards you, get an obstacle avoidance message and with the obstacle avoidance still beeping you decide to go to Sport mode.... Yes, that shouldn't have done anything as long as you weren't on any controls.  BUT, I would have at least turned to cancel the OA and maybe flown at different Normal speeds...try yaw and roll...try the basics before ever contemplating Sport mode.  And if you had problems earlier with disconnecting, loss of signal, falling out of the sky, I definitely would not have gone to Sport.
2019-3-8
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

What does "It dropped out of the sky from a foot above" mean???  At 00:57 time point...
2019-3-8
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 3-8 14:40
What does "It dropped out of the sky from a foot above" mean???  At 00:57 time point...

Motors auto quit after bird going unstable after launch by throttle
2019-3-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

MauiMacMan Posted at 3-8 09:36
found an earlier flight log, first of the day that shows error messages re battery in the red? I'll have to check my batteries to see which it might be:  https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/7C7236FO2O1S2VZFNLO7/

Hi,

batt sn = 0C0AF68B33000G

max deviation between cells 54 mV, normal value.

Flight started with 54% batt level, best to start with 100% (sometime you need all the power to recover)
This flight started with zero satellites, why ?
First part in OPTI and ATTI, not wise to do

Low battery requered to gohome, ac was close home so Autolanding.

cheers
JJB

2019-3-9
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

JJB* Posted at 3-9 03:00
Hi,

batt sn = 0C0AF68B33000G

ic, thanks. I'll sometimes fly with a battery at %50 if going to be flying close and not planning a long mission. I usually bring the bird home when battery reaches 30%, although at times, I will intentionally run the battery down to about 10%.
2019-3-13
Use props
MauiMacMan
lvl.3
United States

UPDATE: DJI Repair said the Spark'ster had crash damage....and will fix for $69. no problem. Looking fwd to have my most fun flying camera back.  It did "bump" a tree while maneuvering in dim light the week before, recovered and flew fine since until that fate filled day. Maybe it was just a matter of time; something in its brains mght've gotten knocked loose?  I'd like to know exactly what failed? What part or system caused Sparkie's downfall?
2019-3-17
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had 2 choices at Best Buy.  One with 08/18 mfg date and 11/18.  I went w/ 11/18.  Sometimes companies do revisions w/o saying a word and the revisions are to fix things like this.
2019-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules