Map Mode North Symbol
1020 5 2019-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

On the map in the lower left corner of the DJI Go 4 app there is an N symbol denoting north.  Where does the app get the compass input???  Mobile device, RC or Spark??? With my Spark pointed west, the Red arrow points 90 degrees left of N as it should...but if I face east (mobile device level with the ground) with the white triangle aligned east, the N symbol is about 8:00 on the map display.  I would expect it to be 90 degrees left of the white triangle in this example.

image1.jpeg
2019-3-6
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mobile device provides the "N".
Keep it separate from the RC, spin it and you can see "N" move.

Spark provides the red arrow direction.

If it is off by any amount, the mobile device compass needs calibrating - put the mobile device into a flat spin - Like a gyroscope ride.

2019-3-6
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

pmshop Posted at 3-6 09:04
Mobile device provides the "N".
Keep it separate from the RC, spin it and you can see "N" move.

Thanx, pmshop...
2019-3-6
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

With that lower left indicator, you should be able to fly the drone back home by instruments with no video.  That is helpful because video will be the first thing lost when the drone starts to run out of range/signal strength.  

I had to do this once in a clear, wide open, corn field getting shots of feeding geese with the Spark relatively close.  There should not have been signal problems but there was.  Something was jamming me (transmitting noise off the channel they were using) or using the same channel.

Damn those farmers with their wifi setups, blue tooth tractors, and wireless internet relays.

--------------------------------------------
Gunship9
"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."
2019-3-6
Use props
nilanjan118
lvl.4
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

The compass on the mobile device is not so accurate when you are stationary. You can see similar directional error while using Google Maps as well. However when you are moving, it gets the direction vector from the moving GPS co-ordinates and corrects the arrow direction. But in this case since you are stationary, it is possibly due to this error that you are getting a 8 o'clock position of N instead of 9 o'clock when facing east. You can try calibrating the compass on your mobile device to see if it helps.
2019-3-6
Use props
djiuser_4sLt1qLPkkvB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53025 ft
Switzerland

Some phones do have a magnetic compass in which case the direction should be correct while stationary. My S9+ has a compass but my older Moto G4 didn't so the map wasn't much use
2019-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules