Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cost of replaced glass - ouch!
7024 22 2019-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
urbanweb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33963 ft
United Kingdom

so, I’ve had the quote for the replacement of the glass that covers the lens on the Osmo pocket.  
Not impressed.  €173.80.

€63.64 for the glass
€50.00 labour
€30.00 freight
€30.16 vat

Thoughts?

2019-3-7
Use props
Joemar7
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

In dollars is like almost $200 and a brand one costs $350! That’s a lot of money they are charging for a glass.  I cannot imagine on the repairs of the motors, etc.  I say sell it on eBay and get a new one, but add a protection plan somehow. I honestly wouldn’t pay $200 unless I heavily invested on accessories but still what DJI is charging is ridiculous.  
2019-3-7
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Joemar7 Posted at 3-7 04:01
In dollars is like almost $200 and a brand one costs $350! That’s a lot of money they are charging for a glass.  I cannot iganine on the repairs of the motors, etc.  I say sell it on eBay and get a new one, but add a protection plan somehow. I honestly wouldn’t pay $200 unless I heavily invested on accessories but still what DJI is charging is ridiculous.

It is totally disproportionate to the cost of the unit.  

DJI wouldn’t give an estimated cost before sending it to them either, so have me over a barrel. Ah well.  
2019-3-7
Use props
Joemar7
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

urbanweb Posted at 3-7 04:03
It is totally disproportionate to the cost of the unit.  

DJI wouldn’t give an estimated cost before sending it to them either, so have me over a barrel. Ah well.

Is the glass scratch affecting the quality of the video?  If not, save your money.  
2019-3-7
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Joemar7 Posted at 3-7 04:15
Is the glass scratch affecting the quality of the video?  If not, save your money.

No, doesn’t effect video/photographs.  I can’t stand having a scratch though.  

I’ve requested details of what’s involved in the repair, and why the glass is so expensive, doubt I’ll get any satisfactory answers though.

This will teach me to be more careful with the Osmo Pocket!
2019-3-7
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

I hope there will be a replacment kit so you can do it yourself.
2019-3-7
Use props
WOLF Eagle
lvl.4
Austria

I hope there will be a replacment kit so you can do it yourself.
2019-3-7
Use props
berlinwall
lvl.1
Germany

This will teach me never to buy anything by DJI anymore.

This glass cover is so cheap that scratches are very hard to avoid. €63? They must be joking!

Mine got scratched by the Freewell ND Filters. I am super careful and never had scratches on any lens so far.
Until now the quality of the videos is not affected but using any ND filter it is only a matter of time as this €63 glass cover is of such a low quality.

Repair seems quite useless anyway if you get the same cheap glass cover. For sure I will not pay them €173 about every three months just because they offer such a low quality glass cover.
Osmo Pocket was a nice idea but this is a real deal breaker.
2019-3-7
Use props
Joemar7
Second Officer
  • >>>
American Samoa

berlinwall Posted at 3-7 05:58
This will teach me never to buy anything by DJI anymore.

This glass cover is so cheap that scratches are very hard to avoid. €63? They must be joking!

I don't know anything about drones but this is a drone camera.  There are some third party drone repair companies out there and I wonder if they might be able to help you.  Otherwise, if I were in the same situation and the glass affected my recordings, I would probably remove the glass and protect the camera with a clear magnetic filter like those you find online.  Just a thought.  
2019-3-7
Use props
berlinwall
lvl.1
Germany

Joemar7 Posted at 3-7 06:28
I don't know anything about drones but this is a drone camera.  There are some third party drone repair companies out there and I wonder if they might be able to help you.  Otherwise, if I were in the same situation and the glass affected my recordings, I would probably remove the glass and protect the camera with a clear magnetic filter like those you find online.  Just a thought.

Thank you very much! Both ideas are definitely worth a try.
2019-3-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi urbanweb, we are sorry for the late response and the troubles with the Osmo Pocket, we managed to get the case number via your Forum account. The price of the main parts of each product can be referred in our website: https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry We see you have paid for the repair cost and the Osmo Pocket has been shipped out, please keep us updated if you have any further concern when you receive it. Thank you.
2019-3-12
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-12 23:10
Hi urbanweb, we are sorry for the late response and the troubles with the Osmo Pocket, we managed to get the case number via your Forum account. The price of the main parts of each product can be referred in our website: https://repair.dji.com/repair/price-inquiry We see you have paid for the repair cost and the Osmo Pocket has been shipped out, please keep us updated if you have any further concern when you receive it. Thank you.

Which wasn’t available when I requested the info - I’ve requsted confirmation of exactly what was replaced on several occasions, with no satisfactory answer.  
2019-3-13
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

Disappointed... That's half of the cost of the OP.
2019-3-13
Use props
El Diabolico
First Officer

Germany

urbanweb Posted at 3-7 04:24
No, doesn’t effect video/photographs.  I can’t stand having a scratch though.  

I’ve requested details of what’s involved in the repair, and why the glass is so expensive, doubt I’ll get any satisfactory answers though.

Actually scratches might not affect image quality as such (obviously depending on the scratch) BUT they might introduce additional flares and ghosting due to changes in the light path.

I still believe the cover is no glass but some kind of acrylic. I bought some polywatch compound but I am afraid of trying it not to make things worse. On the other hand, I also cannot stand to see any scratches on my lens and the resale value has already gone down the drain so... I think i will go for it.
2019-3-13
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
United Kingdom

El Diabolico Posted at 3-13 01:04
Actually scratches might not affect image quality as such (obviously depending on the scratch) BUT they might introduce additional flares and ghosting due to changes in the light path.

I still believe the cover is no glass but some kind of acrylic. I bought some polywatch compound but I am afraid of trying it not to make things worse. On the other hand, I also cannot stand to see any scratches on my lens and the resale value has already gone down the drain so... I think i will go for it.

Just received my OP back - it’s not the same device, they have just replaced it.  

Emaing support now to see why ive been charged an hour labour....  all for a piece of glass!
2019-3-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

urbanweb Posted at 3-13 00:20
Which wasn’t available when I requested the info - I’ve requsted confirmation of exactly what was replaced on several occasions, with no satisfactory answer.

We are so sorry for that, even we have the price reference in our website, it will still need to be evaluated first, then we can know which parts need to be repaired/replaced and how much it will cost.
The service fee charged is based on the overall repair process including damaged assessment, repair, tests, etc. Our repair engineers are well-trained, and our parts are quality-assured and warranted by DJI to guarantee the repair quality. Thank you for your understanding.
2019-3-13
Use props
urbanweb
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 3-13 03:10
We are so sorry for that, even we have the price reference in our website, it will still need to be evaluated first, then we can know which parts need to be repaired/replaced and how much it will cost.
The service fee charged is based on the overall repair process including damaged assessment, repair, tests, etc. Our repair engineers are well-trained, and our parts are quality-assured and warranted by DJI to guarantee the repair quality. Thank you for your understanding.

No spare parts were used.  An brand new device was sent.

I’ve emailed support requesting my complaint is closed.  Fed up of trying to get my point through.
2019-3-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

urbanweb Posted at 3-13 06:59

I’ve emailed support requesting my complaint is closed.  Fed up of trying to get my point through.

Sorry again for all the inconvenience caused, please keep us updated if you have any further concern, we will do our best to help.
2019-3-13
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
First Officer

Hungary

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... or/32961524999.html
2019-3-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

urbanweb Posted at 3-13 06:59

While it’s ludicrous to charge so much, the service charge is the one thing you shouldn’t mind paying for, and although they send you a new one, the one with the broken glass still has to be repaired, there are very few companies that will charge you less than £50 an hour for a service charge,

If it were me I would have just bought a new one and wait for some third party options to fix it, you would then have two OP and you could have sold one and still be quids in, I think repairing this yourself would cost no more than £10 .
2019-3-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Jakab Gipsz Posted at 3-14 10:09
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-2-3-Sets-DJI-OSMO-Pocket-Tempered-Glass-Screen-Protector-Film-TPU-Lens-Film-for/32961524999.html

It was the actual glass that was broke those are just screen protectors.
2019-3-14
Use props
franklintan
New

Taiwan

I also encountered similar issue. the scratches came out of nowhere. like seriously, it's a very cheap quality glass in a quality product.
I don't even know what I should do at this point.

abc.PNG
2019-3-15
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
First Officer

Hungary

franklintan Posted at 3-15 03:43
I also encountered similar issue. the scratches came out of nowhere. like seriously, it's a very cheap quality glass in a quality product.
I don't even know what I should do at this point.
[view_image]

It's too late now. That's why I recommend it to everyone:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... or / 32961524999.html
I put it before late ...
2019-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules