Price for DJI Osmo Pocket 3.5mm Adapter $38 (???)
123Next >
8601 93 2019-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Well, explain why they made the 3.5mm proprietary?

2019-3-9
Use props
AndyUS19
lvl.2

United States

Video/photography hobby is expensive! Being said, the adapter price is fine if you really need it for specific purpose which can make $ for you. Similar with Gopro mic adapter, likes $49.99, even $59 at some places. The problem is all of these adapters are proprietary product which forces users to absorb the cost. I know it's R&D that the company spent for.
It's sad that I have to return OP because of its AF not consistent even with newest  firmware. OP is a great idea for traveling but if you're in good light and if you filming the scenic or general view. OP may work for others, but not me. I'll wait for OP version 2 may be.  
2019-3-9
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

is it overpriced?  Yes.

Is 38 bucks out of my pocket going to change my life?  No.

Shell out the 38 bucks you cheap bastards!  
2019-3-9
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

The $39 was bad enough, but the $15 shipping fee? Ok, ok, I calmed down and ordered one. Not like I have any other options.

Now, I REALLY want to see if the microphone adaptor will work with the Wireless Module, so I can do on-site demonstrations, control the Osmo Pocket from my phone, and use my wireless mic's to keep the audio solid. If that can happen, I'll come back here and say $39 was CHEAP (I can't believe I just typed that). I'll have replicated much of what a remote crew can do, and will be able to do it solo.
2019-3-9
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I chatted with sales rep and he said the orders will be fulfilled on a first come first serve basis.  He couldn’t give me a time frame of when it will ship out.  I hope these are not preorders.  If you guys get a tracking number, please let me know.  Thanks
2019-3-9
Use props
steven_sf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24948 ft
  • >>>
United States

My order shows shipped. Due via FedEx on Tuesday 3.12.19.
2019-3-9
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

steven_sf Posted at 3-9 14:03
My order shows shipped. Due via FedEx on Tuesday 3.12.19.

and you got your order in when?
2019-3-9
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 3-9 16:02
and you got your order in when?

I haven't got a shipping date either. Maybe it depends on which part of the world they are shipping to first.
2019-3-9
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Me, too. Ordered Friday, 3/8...still no shipping notification.
2019-3-10
Use props
Serb
lvl.2

Brazil

mj's Posted at 3-9 02:14
Well, explain why they made the 3.5mm proprietary?  They could have made it so any usbc with dac worked with their product, but instead, they decided to gouge the customer with this overpriced junk.

Right?!

Or could've just used a standard 3.5mm slot so we don't even have to buy a dumb adapter that costs as much as an actual external microphone itself.

2019-3-10
Use props
Upscaleman
lvl.3
United States

Which one of you DJI Jackasses deleted my comment?  
2019-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Upscaleman Posted at 3-10 09:12
Which one of you DJI Jackasses deleted my comment?

I think it’s pretty clear your comment was removed because you are behaving like a Jackass, go figure !!!!
2019-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

mj's Posted at 3-9 02:14
Well, explain why they made the 3.5mm proprietary?  They could have made it so any usbc with dac worked with their product, but instead, they decided to gouge the customer with this overpriced junk.

It looks like they were following go pros lead, except they thought let’s just be cheaper than go pro .
2019-3-10
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I wish people wouldn't use the GoPro adaptor to justify DJI's pricing of their adaptor.

Is the GP adaptor clunky and highly priced, absolutely, but. The GP adaptor has active electronics in it, it has excellent dynamic range and the A/D is high quality with an excellent S/N ratio, it's also stereo, it also allows USB pass through, it has the ability of line level, it expands on the audio recording options, it costs more to make than the DJI adaptor. I can guarantee you all right now that at least three of those things I've just mentioned about the GP adaptor, the DJI adaptor won't do.

In the UK I picked up my GP adaptor for £39.99 inc. postage, so for my particular use it was cheaper than the DJI adaptor and is way more useful.

As far as size is concerned. I'd like to see how someone is going to plug an XLR to 3.5mm cable into the Pocket's adaptor without having to bulk up with a rig that's  got cable ties on it to support mic cables. By the time you factor in all those considerations, a GP rig with microphone abilities is small than a Pocket one.

It's each to their own with regard the cost of the Pocket's adaptor. But regardless of which side of the fence you sit on, you really do need to understand the correlation between value for money, or lack thereof, and usability.

And on that point. Can anyone who's ordered one please tell me if the Pocket's adaptor is stereo? I only ask as you people must have known what it was you bought before paying for it.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-10
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

I NEVER would buy a GoPro, my Yi 4K+ and SJCAM SJ8 Pro are equal.
both have all, even 4K/60fps.

GoPro Hero is 3x as expensive as each of both, and
extern mics you get for not-sea-robbery prices! Shame, GoPro & OP!

SJ8 Pro

Yi 4K+

With Yi 4K+ a lot of equipment was included, under water case and and and
and of course the USB-C/3.5mm cable for mic.

2019-3-10
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BeterBan Posted at 3-10 14:14
I NEVER would buy a GoPro, my Yi 4K+ and SJCAM SJ8 Pro are equal.
both have all, even 4K/60fps.
GoPro Hero is THREE TIMEs as expensive as each of both, and

Hi.

I don't know what part of the world you're living on but where can you buy a Yi 4K+ for a third of the price of a GoPro 7?

In the U.K. a 4K+ is about £250 and a GP7 about £330, so a difference of £80, not £110 for the Yi going by your version of a rule of thirds.

Plus, can you post some examples of the audio, internal or external, from your Yi 4K+ I'd be very interested in what it is about the Yi's audio abilities that obviously doesn't seem to bother you. The Yi 4K+ has not just the worst audio of any flagship actioncam but is absolutely useless for use with external mics.

Like I say, I'm just interested in your version and perception of what constitutes as an audio subsystem and I look forward to some of your examples and where I can buy a Yi for £110 or a third of the price of a GP7 in any given territory.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-10
Use props
jazzyjeff
lvl.4
United States

I went for the adapter. I am already into this thing for $349. It was sort of dumb for me not to get the audio adapter to unlock all of the features that I would want for the unit. To be fair, the $39 bucks was a bit much but I don't know what electronics went into the thing. The $15 shipping was a bit much for an item they could have stuck in a first class envelope.
2019-3-10
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

At Xmas Yi (Germany) had a lot of astonishing offerts, half of regular price, even with Yi 4K and Yi Lite.
So I bought Yi 4K+ direct from Yi ---> amazon.de. I think SJCAM SJ8 Pro, same low price, is 3.14159% better.
2019-3-10
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BeterBan Posted at 3-10 17:06
At Xmas Yi (Germany) had a lot of astonishing offerts, half of regular price, even with Yi 4K and Yi Lite.
So I bought Yi 4K+ direct from Yi ---> amazon.de. I think SJCAM SJ8 Pro, same low price, is 3.14159% better.

So where can I buy a Yi for at a third of the the price of a GP now?

Any chance of some footage from your Yi with audio examples? I'm very intrigued as to what your sound is like from external source and internal.
2019-3-10
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Wait for next Xmas

Example for ext mic (00-37) and no ext mic (0:37-1:05) ... difference of € 0.67  

jazzy, poor boy, if you drive a Maserati for $ 4.000.000 ... you have to buy fuel for $ 99.90/galon.   
2019-3-10
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BeterBan Posted at 3-10 18:37
Wait for next Xmas

Example for ext mic (00-37) and no ext mic (0:37-1:05) ... difference of € 0.67  [view_image]

Thanks for posting the example. Unfortunately it does contradict the point you made earlier as that example clearly proves that the Yi is not the equal of the GoPro. Granted, the 4K+ has excellent picture capabilities, the video below proves that, but it's audio is terrible.

2019-3-10
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-10 13:25
I wish people wouldn't use the GoPro adaptor to justify DJI's pricing of their adaptor.

Is the GP adaptor clunky and highly priced, absolutely, but. The GP adaptor has active electronics in it, it has excellent dynamic range and the A/D is high quality with an excellent S/N ratio, it's also stereo, it also allows USB pass through, it has the ability of line level, it expands on the audio recording options, it costs more to make than the DJI adaptor. I can guarantee you all right now that at least three of those things I've just mentioned about the GP adaptor, the DJI adaptor won't do.

Good points.  However, I don’t know if the adapter can record in stereo.or not   If it doesn’t, it won’t be a deal breaker for me since the shot mic I have is mono and my videos are only for Facebook. Family and people that I know don’t use headphones.  It’s a silly statement I know but it’s true. For professional  use, I agree that stereo is a must.  One thing for sure, the OP does not have a front mic and the audio is mediocre if you’re recording a subject or someone talking., unless you record them with the rear mic.  I do apologize if get the mics location confused front or back but that’s my point. I’m hoping that with the mic adapter and the Rode videomicro at least I can solve that problem.
2019-3-10
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Joemar7 Posted at 3-10 19:40
Good points.  However, I don’t know if the adapter can record in stereo.or not   If it doesn’t, it won’t be a deal breaker for me since the shot mic I have is mono and my videos are only for Facebook. Family and people that I know don’t use headphones.  It’s a silly statement I know but it’s true. For professional  use, I agree that stereo is a must.  One thing for sure, the OP does not have a front mic and the audio is mediocre if you’re recording a subject or someone talking., unless you record them with the rear mic. I’m hoping that with the mic adapter and the Rode videomicro at least I can solve that problem.

Hi.

I agree with you, if the adapter is only mono it'll be fine for the vast majority of use. I never record stereo unless it's atmosphere stuff and always record dialogue mono.

The point I was making about stereo, or two channel, was just to prove that the GoPro adapter is a more capable interface and shouldn't be used as a yard stick to justify the price of the Pocket adaptor. Although if the Pocket's adapter is stereo it will mean being able to record two mono mics, which would be very useful for interviews, ENG, redundancy or a safety track if it has individual gain settings.

It's going to be very interesting to hear examples of audio with the adapter bearing in mind that the Pockets audio bitrate isn't as high as many similar devices. Maybe the Pocket's software has extra functions for audio when it detects the adapter, I hope so as it will benefit anyone who's bought into it. I'd also imagine that there's going to have to be dynamics processing suitable for close mics such as Lavaliers, and appropriate limiting/dynamics processing  to protect from clipping and a fully manual  gain control.

I'd expect that DJI will have already thought this stuff through and accommodated for it, given the nature of the Pocket and its suitability for vloggy type stuff and recording dialogue in general.  

I'm actually quite relieved now that I didn't buy the adapter as I've just found an issue with either my Pocket's sensor or lens and will be sending it back. In certain conditions, light and solid background colour, there's a darker area that shows up. I'd missed it up till now as it's not easily noticeable when filming a detailed, moving background. But when there's certain solid colours and light/exposure there's definitely a small dark patch. I'll post a video within the next few days to see if anyone can identify the problem as I can't tell if it's the lens or sensor.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-10
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 3-10 20:12
Hi.

I agree with you, if the adapter is only mono it'll be fine for the vast majority of use. I never record stereo unless it's atmosphere stuff and always record dialogue mono.

I’m sorry to hear about the issue you’re having.  Hopefully you give the OP a second chance. I also use the GoPro adapter with the Hero 7 and the audio quality is amazing.  My daughter recently worked on a video project for her forensics class and her rig had both the osmo pocket and the GoPro Hero 7 with the mic.  She basically synced the audio from the GoPro to the Footage of the Osmo Pocket.  It was easier for her to use the GoPro than a Zoom recorder.  Most of her shots were indoors and in low light so  the OP did a better job with the audio from the GoPro.  Lol, go figure.  This is why I’m excited to get the mic adapter for the OP.  Otherwise, GoPro and the H1 are my go to solution for audio.  
2019-3-10
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree it's too much, but also GoPro's USB C mic adapter is $49... so it could be worse. The only way to show them the price is too high is to not buy.
2019-3-10
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 3-10 20:12
Hi.

I agree with you, if the adapter is only mono it'll be fine for the vast majority of use. I never record stereo unless it's atmosphere stuff and always record dialogue mono.

Hi Dave.
I'll agree with you that the Osmo Pocket's audio bitrate seems low and my problem with the mono audio at present is exactly as you describe and a problem for me as background noises are just awful quality wise because of it, but worse still is the backward facing mic which picks up my breathing when walking around quiet areas, hence my need for the adapter. I would take off the audio noise canceling which I think then allows stereo recording but then wind and handling noise are increased.  
At present, I still haven't a shipping date even though I have a purchase success on their website. That, to be frank, is of more concern if they have as they are not supposed to take money from anyone's account until shipment is confirmed. I'm hoping it has shipped without an update to the order page.
I promise to make a recording using individual channels one at a time when I get it.

Ray.
2019-3-10
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-10 23:51
Hi Dave.
I'll agree with you that the Osmo Pocket's audio bitrate seems low and my problem with the mono audio at present is exactly as you describe and a problem for me as background noises are just awful quality wise because of it, but worse still is the backward facing mic which picks up my breathing when walking around quiet areas, hence my need for the adapter. I would take off the audio noise canceling which I think then allows stereo recording but then wind and handling noise are increased.  
At present, I still haven't a shipping date even though I have a purchase success on their website. That, to be frank, is of more concern if they have as they are not supposed to take money from anyone's account until shipment is confirmed. I'm hoping it has shipped without an update to the order page.

Ray mine finally says shipped as of this morning. I’m still waiting for the tracking number and I’m sure it will come soon as it did with the phone adapter and the phone adapter was ordered a day later. Yeah i placed two separe orders and paid double shipping.  I should’ve ordered them together but the phone adapter is considered a part and is hard to get a genuine one so I couldn’t wait. I ordered the mic adapter on the 7th.  Hopefully you get great news soon.
2019-3-11
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

I don't understand all this crying. DJI adapter is tooooooo expensive (but noone is forced to buy it)
If you need REALLY GOOD SOUND, there helps no adapter, then you should buy an EXCELLENT
voice recorder for $16.99. NOOOOO adapter will reach this quality (1536kb)

If you have sound from OP it's easy to exchange with voice recorders sound. Longer distances also
are no problem with a small voice recorder.  And all are STEREO rcorders!
2019-3-11
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

BeterBan Posted at 3-11 04:15
I don't understand all this crying. DJI adapter is tooooooo expensive (but noone is forced to buy it)
If you need REALLY GOOD SOUND, there helps no adapter, then you should buy an EXCELLENT
voice recorder for $16.99. NOOOOO adapter will reach this quality (1536kb)

Four problems with what you've just said.

First. You can't buy an EXCELLENT voice recorder for $16.99. If so, prove it.

Although. If that example you posted of the Yi 4K+'s audio is something that you think is good audio. Then yes, I could see why you'd think that a poorly built and sonically stunted recorder would be EXCELLENT.

Second point. Most people will have bought the Pocket for convenience, why on earth would these people now want to add an external recorder and then go through the hassle of syncing in post?

Third . As for people 'crying', your earlier comments did seem to be doing similar or at least agreeing but now you seem to have changed your tune. Plus it seems a bit odd that someone who keeps posting links to cheap products would not understand and sympathise with those who have a grievance with DJI's pricing structure for the adaptor. There's no argument whatsoever, it is overpriced.

Fourth and I've saved the best till last. As for, NO ONE IS FORCED TO BUY IT. How do you come to that conclusion when it's the only thing available that allows Pocket users to record external audio direct to their Pocket?

BTW. I'm still waiting for that link to the Yi 4K+ that costs a third of the price of a GoPro.
2019-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

David_Harry Posted at 3-10 13:25

Is the GP adaptor clunky and highly priced, absolutely, but. The GP adaptor has active electronics in it, it has excellent dynamic range and the A/D is high quality with an excellent S/N ratio, it's also stereo, it also allows USB pass through, it has the ability of line level, it expands on the audio recording options, it costs more to make than the DJI adaptor. I can guarantee you all right now that at least three of those things I've just mentioned about the GP adaptor, the DJI adaptor won't do.

It’s not to justify the price dji are charging , it’s to compare what it would cost you if you used another device, so nothing wrong with that.

I’m not sure companies just make up the prices as they go, they have to cover costs and put what is their normal margin for retail, to be just plucking prices out the sky will not help in any way, a company the size of dji does not purposely increase price in order to rip people off, there is pricing structures to all of this.
We see very high prices with their accessories, why, well accessories is not their business and this is clearly shown in the fact that they released go pro mount, when they could otherwise just have made their own mount and a ton of accessories.

When you buy from them you buy the brand you pay for the brand, but this is also the same for the phones we use everyday.
So yes I think it’s ok to compare.
2019-3-11
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-11 04:43
It’s not to justify the price dji are charging , it’s to compare what it would cost you if you used another device, so nothing wrong with that.

I’m not sure companies just make up the prices as they go, they have to cover costs and put what is their normal margin for retail, to be just plucking prices out the sky will not help in any way, a company the size of dji does not purposely increase price in order to rip people off, there is pricing structures to all of this.

If we were talking about a like for like product then I'd agree with you but we are not.

The GoPro adaptor is a much more substantial product and does more, it's not a simple converter, passive or otherwise, it's an audio interface. That's why the comparison is invalid and wrong.

As for price, depending on where you are and where you buy from the GoPro adaptor is cheaper.

In fact, right now in the UK and maybe in other territories. GoPro are offering a free 30 day trial of their Plus services which gives you access to their peripherals at 50% off. This makes their adaptor £25 and they also give free delivery.

If, as you say, accessories are not DJI's business, then why make a proprietary interface? This would and has, caused a lot of bother for Pocket customers.

This interface should have been included in the box anyway, or at the very least DJI should have offered it free to existing customers as an act of good will to all those who have helped support DJI in making the Pocket the success it is. After the point of release, at least new customers would know exactly the cost of what they were getting in to, this was not the case with early adopters.

As for "you pay for the brand". I'd suggest that anyone who adopts that way of thinking should think again, it's usually a mind set that's gonna end up effecting your Pocket, pun intended
2019-3-11
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Joemar7 Posted at 3-11 02:55
Ray mine finally says shipped as of this morning. I’m still waiting for the tracking number and I’m sure it will come soon as it did with the phone adapter and the phone adapter was ordered a day later. Yeah i placed two separe orders and paid double shipping.  I should’ve ordered them together but the phone adapter is considered a part and is hard to get a genuine one so I couldn’t wait. I ordered the mic adapter on the 7th.  Hopefully you get great news soon.

I've just seen my one has shipped also. Hopefully not long then. If that's the case, I'm not overly upset about the postage cost either as I've waited for almost a month for something from China to arrive in the past at cheaper rates.
2019-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

David_Harry Posted at 3-11 06:23
If we were talking about a like for like product then I'd agree with you but we are not.

The GoPro adaptor is a much more substantial product and does more, it's not a simple converter, passive or otherwise, it's an audio interface. That's why the comparison is invalid and wrong.

But I understand what your saying, but if I want capture audio on both Osmo or go pro it will be more expensive to do it on go pro, yes you get other stuff with go pro, but if don’t want or need this other stuff you are still going to have to pay for it, so hence being able to compare sound systems that will capture sound, not make you a cup of tea . ;+):::::::
2019-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

For those who don’t want or those who don’t need to shell out the money then here’s an option below with pretty good results, but won’t cover everything.

2019-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BeterBan Posted at 3-7 08:17
€ 39  .... hehe, waiting for (working) second source adapter for € 3.99  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf1C9lKX5jU

This guy really needs one, the sounds and background sound is completely annoying in that video .
2019-3-11
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

adding the adapter... plus shipping gives me this total... 63,24€   what?!
it also says.. add 110 € purchase for free shipping.... curiously the kit accessory is 109... also.. not available...
noooooooooo

2019-3-11
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-11 07:22
But I understand what your saying, but if I want capture audio on both Osmo or go pro it will be more expensive to do it on go pro, yes you get other stuff with go pro, but if don’t want or need this other stuff you are still going to have to pay for it, so hence being able to compare sound systems that will capture sound, not make you a cup of tea . ;+):::::::

An audio interface that makes cups of tea, count me in and damn the expense
2019-3-11
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 3-11 07:25
For those who don’t want or those who don’t need to shell out the money then here’s an option below with pretty good results, but won’t cover everything.

Or just put a foam filter on the bottom half of the body, it's still a little bulky but not as much as a deadcat.  There's also the option of adding Micro WindJammers, which is a real neat solution.

For certain stuff there's nothing wrong with the internal mics if you can avoid wind etc. and it still keeps the Pocket ultra portable.
2019-3-11
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

DJI acts like Canon - they build best inkjet printers (for very low price!) - and earn money with
ink catridges - $20 for millimillimilli liters/cartrige. So since years I always have Canon
printers - but excellent second source ink cartriges for less then $1

OP is - for its size - really good, but DJI squeezes users with price of additional equipment.
People thinking they cannot live without DJI adapter should buy it - they are happy - and DJI is happy!  
2019-3-11
Use props
edwardyyy
lvl.4
Hong Kong

taobao.com
RMB.129  ~= US$19-

2019-3-11
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now