Phantom 3 Pro motors smoking
1230 7 2019-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans41f9eb4f
lvl.1

Italy

Hi, today i accidentally crashed my Phantom  3 Professional by flying too close to the ground.
I was going really slow and the drone just tipped over, I immediately executed the CSC but the motors didn't stop (apparently the only way to stop them when the drone is upside down is holding the left stick in the down-right position while holding the RTH button) and started making high pitch noises.  I removed the battery as soon as i realized that the CSC wasn't working (~10s), the motor where hot (but not too much) and a bit of smoke raised off from them.  I plugged the battery back in and armed the quad to cool down the motor with the airflow of the props  and it worked quite well. The motors looks good, the copper coils haven't changed color and the plastic is fine.
The quadcopter flies perfectly fine.

Here it comes my question, changing all the motor will cost me more than 70€ and i bought my quad second-handed for 450€, do you think it's worth it?  
In the past i had similar motor get much hotter without smoking so i don't think that the thing that started smoking was the enamel of the copper wires, maybe the previous owner sprayed some non heat resistant waterproofing stuff in the motors. What do you think?

Also, sorry for my bad english, but it's not my main language (neither my second one).

2019-3-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about this mishap that happens on your drone. It's recommended to sync your flight records and contact our support for you to send the unit to our repair facility. Fixing the unit by our customer's end would definitely void the warranty as per our after-sales policy. The repair fee would depend on the warranty of the unit and the outcome of the investigation of our team. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for understanding.

www.dji.com/support
2019-3-7
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

From your description, I would not swap out the motors.  But it's your decision.  

Good luck
2019-3-7
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Smoke always means that something bad is happening.
2019-3-7
Use props
Zilli341
lvl.1

Italy

DJI Tony Posted at 3-7 10:10
Hi, we're sorry to know about this mishap that happens on your drone. It's recommended to sync your flight records and contact our support for you to send the unit to our repair facility. Fixing the unit by our customer's end would definitely void the warranty as per our after-sales policy. The repair fee would depend on the warranty of the unit and the outcome of the investigation of our team. Please let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for understanding.

www.dji.com/support

The warranty has expired more than a year ago and i've already took the camera apart to change the ribbon cable in the past
2019-3-7
Use props
Zilli341
lvl.1

Italy

Mark The Droner Posted at 3-7 10:45
From your description, I would not swap out the motors.  But it's your decision.  

Good luck

After a closer inspection the front two motors are perfectly fine, the rear one smell just a bit like burnt electronic / paint.
I'll just make sure they're good before every flight, if something start behaving strangely I will replace them.
2019-3-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Zilli341 Posted at 3-7 12:59
The warranty has expired more than a year ago and i've already took the camera apart to change the ribbon cable in the past

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. Hopefully, you could fix the problem on your aircraft as soon as possible for you to get back in the air right away. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If its still works and no longer smokes then i would be inclined to carry on as normal but keep close to home point for a while, it could be just that it over heated  and now that it cooled its fine....
2019-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules