Kp index
3688 12 2019-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BKBear
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67697 ft
United States

Still learning my Spark flying around the yard and house, but I've been reading about Kp index. Why is this important to me when flying my drone and what would be a good app to monitor Kp index.

2019-3-7
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I follow the KP index to monitor when would be a great opportunity to go outside and head to the North Norfolk Coast for a chance to see the Aurora. The KP Index is a measure of disturbance to the earths magnetic field from the "solar wind"; if you need to worry about that when flying your drone, then I'd suggest the planet has bigger issues to worry about. If it's strong enough to interfere with drone comms, then aircraft, satellites and more will be in deep trouble. The best app for me is https://aurora-alerts.uk. On Facebook Space weather is a good page to follow. Good luck.   
2019-3-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

HI, thanks for the inquiry. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our DJI Forum members regarding this KP index. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-7
Use props
Nilanjan Sharma
Second Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

UAV Forecast is a good website to monitor flying conditions for drones. It shows the Kp index as well.
You can also download its app.
2019-3-7
Use props
MccloudSpark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

I look at the Kp-index on the UAV Forecast app.  It is a measure (0-9) of the amount of magnetic interference caused by solar activity (flares).  It can cause a loss of GPS satellite communications.  The general thinking is that a value of 4 or more is reason to be cautious when flying devices that rely on GPS.
see http://www.droneuav.co.uk/dji-phantom-gps-check-the-kp-index/ for more info.
2019-3-7
Use props
BKBear
lvl.2
United States

Had to step away from my computer for a while, I want to thank everyone that replied to my inquiry. I will look into UAV Forecast, I'm just concerned about losing control of my drone.   
2019-3-7
Use props
nilanjan118
Second Officer
Flight distance : 636663 ft
Japan

BKBear Posted at 3-7 18:10
Had to step away from my computer for a while, I want to thank everyone that replied to my inquiry. I will look into UAV Forecast, I'm just concerned about losing control of my drone.

Apart from checking the forecast on any website or app, make sure you are patient and have at least 10-11 satellites locked before you take-off. Also check on the map that the home point has been correctly recorded at take-off.
2019-3-7
Use props
BKBear
lvl.2
United States

This may sound redundant but I have created a check off list before flying and setting RTH is first on my list. Satellites will be something that will be added. Thanks.  
2019-3-7
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

BKBear Posted at 3-7 18:10

UAV forecast is what I use. It tells you all the weather information you need to know before a flight. It’s a great app to have.
2019-3-7
Use props
wimherman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

I live in an area where we have often KP indices reaching up to 5 and i never had issues. Usually big solaraflares with possible disturbance are announced in the newspapers. So in my opiniion nothing to worry about. But its always good to inform yourself before flying!
2019-3-8
Use props
pmshop
First Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

MccloudSpark Posted at 3-7 17:11
I look at the Kp-index on the UAV Forecast app.  It is a measure (0-9) of the amount of magnetic interference caused by solar activity (flares).  It can cause a loss of GPS satellite communications.  The general thinking is that a value of 4 or more is reason to be cautious when flying devices that rely on GPS.
see http://www.droneuav.co.uk/dji-phantom-gps-check-the-kp-index/ for more info.

Just to add one more observation.
It seems the KP index forecasts are world wide.
At least they were years ago when I listened to WWV time signals as a kid.

With me at 30° north, I have indeed flew automated missions with home made craft back in the fall of 2016 where we were getting a KP index of 7.
I had no issues at all.
However, I know if I was further north where I could see the Northern Lights... things may have been different.
2019-3-8
Use props
wimherman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 208556 ft
Norway

pmshop Posted at 3-8 17:30
Just to add one more observation.
It seems the KP index forecasts are world wide.
At least they were years ago when I listened to WWV time signals as a kid.

And being not so high up and far away, skipping is less of a problem like with aircraft communications
2019-3-8
Use props
BKBear
lvl.2
United States

I live in the Midwest but travel to Canada frequently this raised my antennas. Since monitoring Kp index I've only seen levels at (2), really enjoying this site great help. Thanks to everyone that replied..,
2019-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules