Video issues (noise, lines) but fine on camera mode
576 5 2019-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chromatic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 180308 ft
United States

I have a Phantom 4 and it's gotten lots of great shots. But all of a sudden, the last few flights I'm getting lines on areas that are more lit up or over-exposed. It isn't zebra lines, though similar, and I do not have "warn for over-exposure" on. There's lots of video noise as well - in a room sitting down, things keep getting pixelated and shifting. And I've flown it and sometimes it's red or green noise.
But photo mode - as soon as I switch over, it's crystal clear and no issues. I am wondering if it'd be recommended to replace the flex cable or if I'm looking at a new camera as well. Anyone had this issue (if this is common and irritating - I've searched quite a few threads before posting). Below are a couple clips of some of what I'm talking about. It's 4K but seems a bit blurry as well. Any help is appreciated!

video test 1
video test 2
2019-3-7
Use props
chromatic
lvl.1
United States

I can take other videos or see if I can throw up some more obvious shots to show what I'm experiencing (I think the videos are blurry until it buffers after you hit play and much easier to see in full screen).

I have updated to the latest firmware and spent some time with support to troubleshoot and I reset all camera settings. I was just told to send it in for repair, but I'd prefer to fix it myself if I can.
2019-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Your links do not work. But in any event, this same symptom has been described many times before. It is a camera fault and the aircraft needs to be sent back to a repair depot to be fixed. If you are game to do so, you can try dismantling the aircraft and re-seating the cables going to the camera, might help.
2019-3-7
Use props
chromatic
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-7 16:32
Your links do not work. But in any event, this same symptom has been described many times before. It is a camera fault and the aircraft needs to be sent back to a repair depot to be fixed. If you are game to do so, you can try dismantling the aircraft and re-seating the cables going to the camera, might help.

Oy. I thought I triple-checked the links - I guess it's wanting you to sign in to my dropbox instead of a public video?

If it's a camera fault and I have the drone for awhile, I assume it's not covered under warranty? Any idea what pricing is for repair versus buying parts and installing myself (I work with electronics and repairs all the time). I just wanted to see if it was indeed the actual camera or the flex cable - or could be either I suppose.

I also thought it strange that it was fine in photo mode, only video mode is affected - is that common from what you've seen? Thanks for the help!
2019-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

chromatic Posted at 3-7 16:36
Oy. I thought I triple-checked the links - I guess it's wanting you to sign in to my dropbox instead of a public video?

If it's a camera fault and I have the drone for awhile, I assume it's not covered under warranty? Any idea what pricing is for repair versus buying parts and installing myself (I work with electronics and repairs all the time). I just wanted to see if it was indeed the actual camera or the flex cable - or could be either I suppose.

If your aircraft is over one year old, then it is out of warranty. I can't help you with a repair price, as the prices vary. Tou will have to contact a repair agent, describe the fault and see what they have to say. But don't let them BS you, it is not a serious fault. And yes, the paths within the camera for video and still shots are not the same.
2019-3-7
Use props
chromatic
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 3-7 18:02
If your aircraft is over one year old, then it is out of warranty. I can't help you with a repair price, as the prices vary. Tou will have to contact a repair agent, describe the fault and see what they have to say. But don't let them BS you, it is not a serious fault. And yes, the paths within the camera for video and still shots are not the same.

gotcha. I think I'm going to try just the flex cable and see if that does the trick. I really appreciate the info!
2019-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules