Osmo Pocket 3.5mm adaptor UK postage cost, is this correct?
1220 14 2019-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi.

I've just noticed that the mic adaptor is available from the DJI store. I was paying via ...., who verified that the cost was £35 but when I was about to order it there was an additional £13.65 added for postage after the .... verification returned me to the DJI store. Can anyone from DJI verify if this is a mistake please?

As it stands this would make buying the adaptor £48.65.

I'm assuming there's probably an error with the order form, maybe because it's a new item/product that's only just been added.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-7
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

BTW. Why is the forum filter blanking out the word P-A-Y-P-A-L in my previous post?
2019-3-7
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 3-7 20:16
BTW. Why is the forum filter blanking out the word P-A-Y-P-A-L in my previous post?

Just ordered one myself.
No, that is correct, I paid the same. I have an event coming up at the end of April and the use of an external microphone will be important to me. I also had the option of paying an additional £84 to qualify for free shipping, whatever that means. No explanation beyond that on the webpage.
2019-3-7
Use props
DJI-Osmo-User-1
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Now way! I wouldn’t pay that if it came with a DJI design MIC included! Not happening.
2019-3-8
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-7 23:37
Just ordered one myself.
No, that is correct, I paid the same. I have an event coming up at the end of April and the use of an external microphone will be important to me. I also had the option of paying an additional £84 to qualify for free shipping, whatever that means. No explanation beyond that on the webpage.

Hi Ray.

Well that's completely took the shine off the Pocket for me.

The adaptor is priced well over the top in the first place but adding over £13 to post something that weighs only grams is going way too far in my opinion.

The other thing is that I have a feeling that it may only be mono as well. But even if it is stereo, it's still priced way over the top.

I had all this with GoPro,  which is one of the reasons why I got the Pocket and not the GP7. I have a Yi 4K+ and although it has a terrible audio subsystem and distorts external microphones, their USB C to 3.5mm adaptor only costs about £7.

Anyway, I've no intention of turning this thread into something really negative but I'm not at all happy with such prices for peripherals that will cost less than £1 to mass produce, by any other description it's outright profiteering and taking advantage of customers.

If I knew that this was going to be the price of the adaptor, out of principle I'd have not bought the Pocket.  I doubt I'll be sticking with DJI and the Pocket.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-3-8
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

EU sea robbery!   
2019-3-8
Use props
The Rev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

That is outrageous so hopefully someone will reverse engineer this and sell it for a fraction of that price.
2019-3-8
Use props
SimonMScott
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Yes, unfortunately, the standard shipping rate to the UK for DJI seems to be around £13.65.

The only plus point is that it’s that same flat rate no matter how many items you order it seems and it is pretty quick compared to other companies I’ve used in the same region.

Still robbery though!
2019-3-8
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

The Rev Posted at 3-8 08:21
That is outrageous so hopefully someone will reverse engineer this and sell it for a fraction of that price.

I'll bet in short time you will get such a (working) adapter for $ 2.99  
I just see PGYTECH engineers brainstorming :-)
2019-3-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 3-8 06:53
Hi Ray.

Well that's completely took the shine off the Pocket for me.

It's up to the individual what they think of product pricing and whether it is worthwhile for them.
Compared to what I was paying/am still paying for DSLR accessories and peripherals, these costs are not so large.  The Osmo Pocket plus all my additional purchases for it so far, still haven't come to the cost of one of my DSLR lenses.
I would never argue with anyone that thought the costs were too high and the market large enough to find substitute products if need be. It may justifiably seem too expensive for the perceived return value for others here.
For myself, as long as the Osmo Pockets audio amps are up to the job, and I record a lot of musical groups, acts, etc. where a good stereo sound stage helps, I find an external mic of use. Of course, I would have preferred an inbuilt mic port but knew when I bought the Osmo Pocket that it didn't. Same as I knew it had a built-in battery. I could use an external audio recorder but the setup would be larger and heavier of which I'm trying to reduce as much as possible.
So far the Osmo Pocket has lived up to my expectations and adding better audio (assuming it works) will just be an added bonus.
I used to attend events with three full-sized cameras with assorted lenses.  Now I'm down to one with a few lenses and the Osmo Pocket. The weight saving for me alone justifies the price for me, but I don't expect many others to feel the same way.
2019-3-8
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

Agree, agree, agree!   
2019-3-8
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-8 13:04
It's up to the individual what they think of product pricing and whether it is worthwhile for them.
Compared to what I was paying/am still paying for DSLR accessories and peripherals, these costs are not so large.  The Osmo Pocket plus all my additional purchases for it so far, still haven't come to the cost of one of my DSLR lenses.
I would never argue with anyone that thought the costs were too high and the market large enough to find substitute products if need be. It may justifiably seem too expensive for the perceived return value for others here.

I agree with you, the perception of value is down to the individual.

From my  personal point of view the cost of accessories and their complexity should have a direct bearing with the cost of the product that they're designed for. I've worked in music/audio video/film for over 30 years and have owned and used a lot of production equipment during that time. I've never owned any equipment that had such a disproportionately priced simple peripheral and let's not forget, this peripheral is simple.

I appreciate that others will not see this pricing the same way as I do and that's fair enough. But I hope that for anyone who sees this mic adaptor as good value for money, it isn't based on the fact that it's the only thing that will allow them to get on use external mics.

BTW. I've just bought a Samsung Galaxy S10e and it accepts mics direct via it's TRRS combi input. And while I appreciate that it costs more than a Pocket, its fundamental function is as a phone yet it still has external mic compatibility out of the box. Plus, from what I've tested so far, it's got a picture quality that's going to ruin the day for many small cameras. I've just done a couple of quick tests with it on a cheap gimbal and it's very impressive. Plus it uses an internal stereo mic system and not a dual mono for phase cancelling.

Anyway. It's each to their own with regard their perception of value for money as far as the Pocket's audio adaptor is concerned and for those have bought it, I've no question that it's going to allow them to   take their productions with the Pocket to the next level with regard audio and conveniently.

Cheers,
Dave.   
2019-3-8
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 3-8 13:54
I agree with you, the perception of value is down to the individual.

From my  personal point of view the cost of accessories and their complexity should have a direct bearing with the cost of the product that they're designed for. I've worked in music/audio video/film for over 30 years and have owned and used a lot of production equipment during that time. I've never owned any equipment that had such a disproportionately priced simple peripheral and let's not forget, this peripheral is simple.

Anyway. It's each to their own with regard their perception of value for money as far as the Pocket's audio adaptor is concerned and for those have bought it, I've no question that it's going to allow them to take their productions with the Pocket to the next level with regard audio and conveniently.

I'll wait and see about that bit

I doubt it's a straightforward connector or there would have been third-party alternatives by now. The fact is only Dji really know what's going on and why. It could be that to use one connector for several different peripherals there is some jiggling of pins and routing involved. It could also be why they have had to publish a list of approved phones to work with the Pocket. We just don't know and there is nothing to say that Dji owes any explanation.

At the end of the day, people will vote with their buying power, or not. By the time the prices come down, it will probably be at the end of its production lifespan. It's the way things seem to go now. Even with my car

As for other peripherals for other products not costing that much, have you ever tried buying a proprietary battery grip for a camera? Or a diopter adjustment lens? Pro-grade ND filter? Windshield for a shotgun mic? A decent isolation mount for a specific microphone like a Neumann U87?

The memory cards for my main cameras (XQD) are in hundreds of pounds rather than the few tens of pounds the Osmo Pocket cards cost.  It's just swings and roundabouts.

I don't think I've ever bought anything tech wise that hasn't ended up costing me more than I thought I would initially spend. I upgrade my camera and my PC is no longer up to spec. The editing software no longer copes, I need better monitors.  Not always immediately, but accumulatively over a period of time, the additional hard drive space escalates, specs of almost everything in the chain needs some form of upgrade to keep up and then ten years down the line, what I  was once proud to produce now ends up looking or sounding like ****!

Such is progress
2019-3-8
Use props
nianeko3
lvl.4
Japan

AliExpress is not free international shipping?
2019-3-9
Use props
djiuser_JG4Vnm8wreoI
lvl.1

India

yes AliExpress do not provide free shipping
2020-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules