Gimbal shaking problem (with video) NEED HELP!
15358 31 2019-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Hello everyone! This is my first post on DJI Forum and I would really need some help. I bought DJI Phantom 3 Standard with shaking gimbal problem awhile back. I have it for about half a year with the same problem (I got it very cheap). It didn't bother me that much as I first started it, because I was just flying it for fun and to gain experience with DJI drones. Now after half a year I've bought DJI Inspire 1 and I've decided I want to repair my Phantom if it's even possible, because I might consider selling it or maybe keeping it for myself - I don't know yet I just want to fix it.

So as I mentioned the problem hasn't accured to me, last owner said he never crashed the drone and I believe him, because the drone is like new with no scratches and not even a bit blending colors. It seems that this error just kind of happend on its own. If I go in the DJI GO app it says that the gimbal status is Normal. The gimbal is also making some creaking noises, so I believe that has to go with the problem. The camera only seems to be shaking when it's moving up/down, but sometimes it also shakes when it's just sitting on the ground with no movement. I've been thinking of replacing the up/down rotor on the gimbal (I think I could manage doing it myself), because they are like 20$ on eBay/Aliexpress, but I don't even know if that is the problem. I've also tried contacting our local drone support called ONEDRONE. I've contacted their tech and they said they don't do repair, they just send them in Germany for repairs and that I shouldn't even bother putting the drone on repair, because the gimbal is just too expensive to repair. I don't believe that the problem is with the gimbal, it might be just one of the rotors of gimbal.

I've also tried following the youtube toturial where he tightened the gimbal screw, but the screw was pretty much already tightened, so that didn't fix the problem whatsoever.

I've uploaded my problem to youtube, so you guys can better see the problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4to7R66eEw8

I am from Slovenia and we don't have DJI support here, the drone is obviously out of warranty so I have limited resources and I don't want to put too much money in repairs.
If I made any grammar mistakes I do appologize!

Thank you for your help in advance!

2019-3-8
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

EDIT: I did obviously try to calibrate the gimbal. It did not fix the problem.
2019-3-8
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

EDIT 2: I have two rubber dampers positioned diagonally on the gimbal. I can manage to take apart the gimbal if that's necessary.
2019-3-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-8 12:33
EDIT 2: I have two rubber dampers positioned diagonally on the gimbal. I can manage to take apart the gimbal if that's necessary.

You should have all FOUR dampers installed on the gimbal. But you only need the clear plastic retaining pins to be fitted to two diagonal points. Take a photo of it and post it.
2019-3-8
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Geebax Posted at 3-8 13:56
You should have all FOUR dampers installed on the gimbal. But you only need the clear plastic retaining pins to be fitted to two diagonal points. Take a photo of it and post it.

Yes that's what I meant. I have it installed correctly, this is not the problem as you can clearly see on the video posted in the link.
2019-3-9
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

The gimbal indicator LED is blinking red. May be this indicates a malfunction of the gimbal. Do you have a started a record of a clip?
Did you calibrate the IMU before you calibrate the gimbal??
2019-3-9
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Looks and sounds like problems with yaw or pitch motor.
2019-3-9
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

More pitch as i saw.
2019-3-9
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Peterx Posted at 3-9 08:41
The gimbal indicator LED is blinking red. May be this indicates a malfunction of the gimbal. Do you have a started a record of a clip?

The red light only blinks, because there is no SD card inserted. The gimbal is not malfunctioning the gimbal status is normal in the app. I am also thinking it could be the motor. I also calibrated the camera, it does not fix the problem.
2019-3-9
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Peterx Posted at 3-9 08:41

Right now I am calibrating the IMU. I doubt it will fix the problem, I still believe it should be a hardware motor problem, but worth a try. Also one thing I should also say is that when I make the camera face down the gimbal does not shake. What does that indicate? Only when the gimbal is facing forward and about 80% downward it will shake, when it's facing down 90% it does not shake. Any idea? Thank you for your help, really appreciate it! We will get to the bottom of this, I believe
2019-3-9
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-9 12:12
Right now I am calibrating the IMU. I doubt it will fix the problem, I still believe it should be a hardware motor problem, but worth a try. Also one thing I should also say is that when I make the camera face down the gimbal does not shake. What does that indicate? Only when the gimbal is facing forward and about 80% downward it will shake, when it's facing down 90% it does not shake. Any idea? Thank you for your help, really appreciate it! We will get to the bottom of this, I believe

IMU Calilbrated with success and gimbal as well, flawlessly no errors. The entire aircraft does not signal any problems or errors, but it still shakes. I am really confused. I did notice that the gimbal did warm up a bit. Not to the point it was hot, but to the point where you could feel it warming up (the aircraft was however calibrating, and I left it on for about 15min, so that could be the cause?) Also every time it is shaking if I slightly touch it with my finger it stops shaking and when I let go it just continues...
Could it also be a problem with the actual gimbal circuit? I really have no idea what could be wrong there...
2019-3-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-9 12:56
IMU Calilbrated with success and gimbal as well, flawlessly no errors. The entire aircraft does not signal any problems or errors, but it still shakes. I am really confused. I did notice that the gimbal did warm up a bit. Not to the point it was hot, but to the point where you could feel it warming up (the aircraft was however calibrating, and I left it on for about 15min, so that could be the cause?) Also every time it is shaking if I slightly touch it with my finger it stops shaking and when I let go it just continues...
Could it also be a problem with the actual gimbal circuit? I really have no idea what could be wrong there...

The gimbal operating circuit is what is known as a 'servo loop', the fact that it is shaking indicates the servo drive amplitude is too high, and the motor is 'hunting'. You need to return it to DJI to have it fixed.
2019-3-9
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Geebax Posted at 3-9 13:17
The gimbal operating circuit is what is known as a 'servo loop', the fact that it is shaking indicates the servo drive amplitude is too high, and the motor is 'hunting'. You need to return it to DJI to have it fixed.

Well as I stated I no longer have the warranty, so I am afraid this would cost me a lot... The gimbal repairs are very expensive and I don't want to pay too much for such a thing, I was hoping I could do it myself? Any idea what I could do?
2019-3-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-11 03:28
Well as I stated I no longer have the warranty, so I am afraid this would cost me a lot... The gimbal repairs are very expensive and I don't want to pay too much for such a thing, I was hoping I could do it myself? Any idea what I could do?

The only simple cure (if it works) is to but a replacement flexible gimbal ribbon cable and replace that.
2019-3-11
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Geebax Posted at 3-11 13:52
The only simple cure (if it works) is to but a replacement flexible gimbal ribbon cable and replace that.

Hey! Thank you very much for your help. What are the chances that the actual cable is the problem for this?
2019-3-14
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-14 12:34
Hey! Thank you very much for your help. What are the chances that the actual cable is the problem for this?

Probably better than 50%, but hard to diagnose over the Internet.
2019-3-15
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Geebax Posted at 3-15 02:47
Probably better than 50%, but hard to diagnose over the Internet.

Oh well then that is good news. If you could help me and tell me what I need to do to make you certain I can also make a video about it (I can also dismantle the gimbal if that's needed). Or if you could at least please send me a link of the part I need? Thank you so much for your help!
2019-3-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-15 07:41
Oh well then that is good news. If you could help me and tell me what I need to do to make you certain I can also make a video about it (I can also dismantle the gimbal if that's needed). Or if you could at least please send me a link of the part I need? Thank you so much for your help!

Sorry, but you will need to locate the ribbon cable yourself, try a repair company near to you.
2019-3-15
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Geebax Posted at 3-15 13:00
Sorry, but you will need to locate the ribbon cable yourself, try a repair company near to you.

As I mentioned there is no repair company near me. The only repair company near me is shipping drones to Germany (1000km/850miles away) for gimbal repairs which cost more than the drone. The only way I can do this is by myself.
2019-3-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-15 17:05
As I mentioned there is no repair company near me. The only repair company near me is shipping drones to Germany (1000km/850miles away) for gimbal repairs which cost more than the drone. The only way I can do this is by myself.

OK, you can buy them on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gimbal- ... Drone-/232590299852

2019-3-15
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Ok. Great thank you very much for all your help. So only ribbon cable needs to be replaced if I'm right?
2019-3-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-16 08:57
Ok. Great thank you very much for all your help. So only ribbon cable needs to be replaced if I'm right?

Yes, but that is not guaranteed to fix your problem, it is just a possible cause.
2019-3-16
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Geebax Posted at 3-16 12:15
Yes, but that is not guaranteed to fix your problem, it is just a possible cause.

Yes I understand the chances of it not being the case. So if the ribbon doesn't fix it that means the gimbal circuit is damaged, am I right?
2019-3-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-16 15:04
Yes I understand the chances of it not being the case. So if the ribbon doesn't fix it that means the gimbal circuit is damaged, am I right?

Yes, I guess that is the case.
2019-3-17
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Geebax Posted at 3-17 00:33
Yes, I guess that is the case.

Thank you, I will post an update how it goes . You were really helpful, thank you so much! Is there any way I can return the favor?
2019-3-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-20 03:13
Thank you, I will post an update how it goes . You were really helpful, thank you so much! Is there any way I can return the favor?

No thank you, that's what we do on this forum...
2019-3-20
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Geebax Posted at 3-20 13:35
No thank you, that's what we do on this forum...

Well once again thank you from the bottom of my heart... I've actually just decided to dismantle the gimbal. I didn't find anything wrong with the ribbon cable, so this shouldn't probably be the case? However I did try to put it back together without putting the gimbal legs on and without attaching it to the phantom, just plug the camera and antenna cables so I could see the circuit of the gimbal. I noticed the Yaw motor got very hot and the circuit got hot as well. Not as hot as the yaw motor, but it did get to the point it was still not the burning degree hot, but you could feel the heat it was producing. I am guessing it could be the circuit or the yaw motor? If I try to spin yaw motor without the phantom being on I don't seem to find anything wrong with it. I doubt it's the ribbon cable, because the Yaw motor got hot and it's not even connected to the motherboard by the same ribbon cable as the rest of the motors. I hope I was understanding enough, if not I can provide even clearer explanation. Thank you once again.
2019-3-20
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-20 15:35
Well once again thank you from the bottom of my heart... I've actually just decided to dismantle the gimbal. I didn't find anything wrong with the ribbon cable, so this shouldn't probably be the case? However I did try to put it back together without putting the gimbal legs on and without attaching it to the phantom, just plug the camera and antenna cables so I could see the circuit of the gimbal. I noticed the Yaw motor got very hot and the circuit got hot as well. Not as hot as the yaw motor, but it did get to the point it was still not the burning degree hot, but you could feel the heat it was producing. I am guessing it could be the circuit or the yaw motor? If I try to spin yaw motor without the phantom being on I don't seem to find anything wrong with it. I doubt it's the ribbon cable, because the Yaw motor got hot and it's not even connected to the motherboard by the same ribbon cable as the rest of the motors. I hope I was understanding enough, if not I can provide even clearer explanation. Thank you once again.

At this point I am considering buying another used phantom 3 standard and dismantle the gimbal and try part by part to see what is wrong with my gimbal. I can see there are gimbal circuits listed for 75$ on eBay from original drones, so I am guessing as long as my camera works it shouldn't be such an expensive repair even if the circuit is damaged... I will probably really consider doing so, because I've checked so many videos online to see the jello problem and none seemed to work, so I will really try and consider buying another Phantom 3 Standard and try part by part and probably even make a video about it, because there is literally no useful videos online on fixing such problem which apparently not so little people have.
2019-3-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

PhantomInspire Posted at 3-20 15:41
At this point I am considering buying another used phantom 3 standard and dismantle the gimbal and try part by part to see what is wrong with my gimbal. I can see there are gimbal circuits listed for 75$ on eBay from original drones, so I am guessing as long as my camera works it shouldn't be such an expensive repair even if the circuit is damaged... I will probably really consider doing so, because I've checked so many videos online to see the jello problem and none seemed to work, so I will really try and consider buying another Phantom 3 Standard and try part by part and probably even make a video about it, because there is literally no useful videos online on fixing such problem which apparently not so little people have.

Replacing the gimbal with a used one is a good idea, but be sure that the one you buy actually works. Obtain some sort of guarantee from the seller.
2019-3-20
Use props
PhantomInspire
lvl.2

Slovenia

Geebax Posted at 3-20 17:34
Replacing the gimbal with a used one is a good idea, but be sure that the one you buy actually works. Obtain some sort of guarantee from the seller.

Hey thanks again for the answer. I have made sure the new drone works and I have it! Just waiting for the right time so I can record everything and I will post the video once I make it, because there are so many videos on how to fix this problem, but none of them actually provides instructions on how to dismantle the gimbal and see which part actually causes this. I will address you as well, because you were really helpful in this forum. Thank you again.
2019-3-28
Use props
G-BYPA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1410325 ft
United Kingdom

i had a gimbal full of field flies last year wich made my gimbal do like a twitch twich thing if i nmoved it with a finger it would catch on something inside and it would do the slammy gimbal dance it turned out to cowass flies
2019-3-31
Use props
Bears Fan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 190640 ft

United States

I just came across this string of messages about your camera shaking and I am having the exact same problem. Were you able to fix the problem, and if so how? Thanks, TG
2020-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules