3367 23 2019-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Illuminations
First Officer
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

Winter is beautiful - ice and snow transform the landscape, creating the perfect conditions for aerial photography. Capturing such dramatic scenery requires preparing for the risks such frigid conditions entail. I hope these tips will help you to fly safely and capture better drone photos and video footage.

DJI_0313.jpg

1. Cozy Batteries are Happy Batteries.
When the temperature drops, so does your battery life. Keep your batteries in an insulated bag, or if its really cold you can stow them in your pockets so that your body heat keeps them warm. Also, be aware when your flying that in colder conditions the faster your battery will drain. Always keep a close eye on the battery meter and land with a good margin to spare.

DJI_0933.jpg

2. Know your Snow.
Snow comes in many and varied forms, some you can fly in, and some you should avoid. Dry snow is forced away from your drone by the motion of its propellers, wet snow is not so easily pushed aside, and will accumulate and melt on your drone in mid air.

DJI_0285.jpg

3. Beware of Ice.
Ice is the bane of all aircraft, and it is no less a danger to UAV's. I have flown often in wintery, frigid conditions, and so far have had trouble with ice buildup on my props only on two occasions. However, those two times I was very fortunate not to crash, and to have had the drone nearby where I could easily spot erratic behavior and land safely. You need to watch out for cold AND humid conditions - that is the recipe for ice. If its cold and foggy, or particularly humid, take a short test flight - then land and check for signs of ice buildup.

DJI_0917.jpg

4. Your drone needs sunglasses too!
Snow and ice are bright, and if you aren't using a neutral density filter to reduce the brightness, then you'll have to raise your shutter speed (or F-stop if possible). For cinematic video, a slower shutter speed produces more cinematic video footage

DJI_0942.jpg

5. Bundle Up. It's not just your drone that's cold, you need to think of your own health and comfort as well! It's important to dress especially warmly when flying because it involves a lot of standing around doing nothing. Hands tend to be especially susceptible, so be sure to wear gloves! You'll need ones with capacitive touch-screen compatible fingers so that you can still use your smartphone and control your drone.

Now head out and capture those shots of awesome frozen landscapes before the snow melts! Spring is coming, along with all its own challenges for aerial photographers. Happy flying!

DJI_0306.jpg

2019-3-9
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Good tips and nice English accent. It's really pleasure to listen you. Thanks for sharing!
2019-3-9
Use props
ShermanFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Good tips and excellent shots, thanks for sharing
2019-3-9
Use props
Doc Ozzy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2174482 ft
United States

Just as I am planning a trip into the cold weather. Thank you for the tips!
2019-3-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice work!
2019-3-9
Use props
maddox
First Officer
Malaysia

Nicely done, great tips!
2019-3-9
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Nice tips! Thanks for sharing
2019-3-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Illuminations, thanks for sharing this informative work of yours! Enjoy and always fly safely.
2019-3-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Hands tend to be especially susceptible, so be sure to wear gloves! You'll need ones with capacitive touch-screen compatible fingers so that you can still use your smartphone and control your drone.

In a pinch, for wind cold weather (Windchill), not extreme cold temperatures - a pair of rubber Nitrile gloves will help keep your hands warm, work with iPhones or iPads, and still allow you dexterity for control.

2019-3-10
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 3-10 19:01
Hands tend to be especially susceptible, so be sure to wear gloves! You'll need ones with capacitive touch-screen compatible fingers so that you can still use your smartphone and control your drone.

In a pinch, for wind cold weather (Windchill), not extreme cold temperatures - a pair of rubber Nitrile gloves will help keep your hands warm, work with iPhones or iPads, and still allow you dexterity for control.

That's an interesting idea - I'll have to try it some time!
2019-3-11
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Wow! Glad you made it! Thanks for sharing the great tips!
2019-3-12
Use props
geeksquadcare
New

India

That was executed beatuifully. thanks for sharing these tips and your experience with us. you can have a look at this if your need some technical assistance for your camcorders and drones or needed some basic tips.you can visit Geek Squad Support
2019-3-12
Use props
Dronie2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1336365 ft
Spain

Thanks for sharing these nice tips.
2019-3-12
Use props
TomThomson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2383960 ft
Switzerland

Thanks for sharing! Winter is really special when humidity is high - some nice ice layers on my props told me stories about that First time that happened I was surprised about it - second time I was more surprised about the thickness of the ice layer which the drone can handle - from the third time on I knew to be more careful. Fly safe and have fun!
2019-3-12
Use props
elberti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985561 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Thank you for sharing; what drone you've been using for the pictures?
2019-3-12
Use props
Ken Storm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

Some great advise there, thanks.
2019-3-12
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

elberti Posted at 3-12 03:47
Thank you for sharing; what drone you've been using for the pictures?

I'm currently using the Mavic 2 Zoom.
2019-3-12
Use props
Hartyaj
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49478 ft

Australia

Thanks for sharing your your tips, looks like you have put some effort into it.
2019-3-14
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Great tips. Beautiful captures.  Thanks for sharing.  
2019-3-15
Use props
Jewishist
lvl.1

Spain

Keen people with a capital letter - thank you for such photos and videos
2019-3-18
Use props
fansca79f2db
lvl.1

United States

good job ........!
2019-3-24
Use props
william.jacon
lvl.1

Pakistan

amazing tips bro, Thnx for sharing such stuff
2019-3-26
Use props
sparkdrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9593 ft
United States

Great tips, too bad I don't live in a place where snow forms.
2019-4-9
Use props
BrandonOtis0310
New

India

Hi, Illuminations!
Thank you for the amazing tips! I am new to flying drones, so these are surely gonna come in handy in Duluth. I also heard that you've gotta keep an eye on the weather, and some fellow flyers recommended climacell.co. Do you use any such website/app? Cos the generic ones are too erratic these days.P.S. The photographs look amazing!
2020-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules