Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is there a way to initiate battery discharge?
1300 17 2019-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mouthpiec
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220814 ft
Malta

Hi,Is there a way to start a battery discharge? I charged all my batteries, but used only one, and the other two will be used in 3 weeks time or later.
If it is not possible does it have a negative effect on batteries leaving them charged?
thanks
2019-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

They will auto discharge in around 10 days, to 50/60%. And hibernate .
I would advise not to fly with batteries that have not been freshly charged 48 hours before flying
2019-3-10
Use props
mouthpiec
lvl.4
Malta

hallmark007 Posted at 3-10 09:00
They will auto discharge in around 10 days, to 50/60%. And hibernate .
I would advise not to fly with batteries that have not been freshly charged 48 hours before flying

so what should I do if I have batteries that have been charged for 5 days?
2019-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

mouthpiec Posted at 3-10 09:02

Just put them on charge for a short time, for me I always just fly around atlow alt until they get to 80% or lower, the easiest way is to only charge a couple of days or less before you intend to fly .
If you have combo you can just charge your tablet or phone it will run them down .
2019-3-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We have recommendations when in terms of battery discharging as well as storing them. For further details, please refer to the image below. Kindly let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.

2019-3-10
Use props
mouthpiec
lvl.4
Malta

DJI Tony Posted at 3-10 10:12
Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We have recommendations when in terms of battery discharging as well as storing them. For further details, please refer to the image below. Kindly let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.

[view_image]

it is now very clear
what about the controller? same thing?
2019-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

mouthpiec Posted at 3-10 11:17
it is now very clear  

Controller doesn’t hibernate.
2019-3-10
Use props
Celsus
Captain
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

mouthpiec Posted at 3-10 09:02

My advice would be to draw the battery down manually using a Mavic Pro 2 battery to USB adapter. I use this to lower the battery charge. I also ensure I recharge and discharge the batteries if I don't fly for an extended period 2-3 months. This helps keep a level of activity going to help maintain battery reliability and performance. I would also recommend storage outside of very high or very low temperature.
2019-3-10
Use props
MrTitan
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi mouthpiec. Don’t worry it’s perfectly ‘safe’ to allow the batteries onboard micro-processor to initiate the battery de-charge function after 10 days. You can assist the battery draining process to try and look after your intelligent flight batteries as much as possible (using the usb adaptor and a suitable device such as an uncharged power bank is a good combination) but the procedure will only have a marginal positive effect on the long term usability of the DJI battery.

I'm sure you know that DJI use LiPo batteries which can store a wealth of power within their cells.  The benefit of LiPo technology is that power can be stored and discharged quite quickly and without experiencing performance limiting voltage sag (in short, the higher the batteries  ‘C’ rating the faster it can discharge larger levels of energy in short bursts) which is especially important for heavy drones like the Mavic as it assists sudden throttle changes and allows for fast acceleration from a ‘standing’ start etc.

The downside of LiPo tech is that the chemical process that takes place within the cells can cause damage to a battery over time or when under stress.  DJI encase their batteries in a strong plastic shell to protect the internal LiPo cells and help them avoid any adverse physical pressures on impact (when crashing etc.) as LiPo batteries have the tendency to burst into flames when directly impacted.  

The less dramatic downside of LiPo technology is the deterioration that takes place within LiPo cells that are storing large amounts of energy.  Over time the chemical reaction experienced due to the pressures of a wealth of energy held 'dormant' in a LiPo cell causes degradation and damage to the cells ability to hold charge, which often leads to bloating - literally swelling the physical size of the LiPo battery.  This issue's well recognised by multi-rotor enthusiasts (D.I.Y. quad builders and race quad users etc.) who have to manually charge and discharge their LiPo batteries for use and then storage (approx. 3.85v per cell is considered the magic number for storage).  It's also why LiPo batteries sent through the post generally arrive needing to be charged: A LiPo battery is safer and much less likely to explode under pressure when its cells are each at approx. 3.85v.  DJI have removed this responsibility of manual discharge by creating their Intelligent Flight Battery.  It's basically just a standard LiPo battery with a micro processor 'brain' that can count the days since it was last charged and can initiate a discharge to storage level which, as mentioned, helps protect the battery from swelling and cell damage.

DJI's Mavic 2 Flight Batteries have a forced 10 Day Discharge Cycle built in (with some previous drones you were able to choose the number of days until a battery discharged itself from within the Go/Go4 App menu, but DJI have removed this function).  10 days is the maximum length of time I feel comfortable leaving a LiPo battery fully charged, but any damage caused to the battery during this time will be minimal.

Whilst I'm not entirely sure about this I get the impression that the LiPo battery in the remote controller is never actually charged to full capacity in order to allow it to safely remain at it's current charge level and avoid excessive wear on its cells when not in use for longer periods of time.  When the controller suggests it is charged to 100% I wouldn't be surprised if that is only approx. 80% of the true capacity of the internal battery.  As the controller does not demand as much power as the drone and so remains usable on a single charge for longer, reducing the maximum charge limit would be an easy way to provide convenience for the user whilst protecting the controller battery from damage.
2019-3-11
Use props
mouthpiec
lvl.4
Malta

MrTitan Posted at 3-11 03:25
Hi mouthpiec. Don’t worry it’s perfectly ‘safe’ to allow the batteries onboard micro-processor to initiate the battery de-charge function after 10 days. You can assist the battery draining process to try and look after your intelligent flight batteries as much as possible (using the usb adaptor and a suitable device such as an uncharged power bank is a good combination) but the procedure will only have a marginal positive effect on the long term usability of the DJI battery.

I'm sure you know that DJI use LiPo batteries which can store a wealth of power within their cells.  The benefit of LiPo technology is that power can be stored and discharged quite quickly and without experiencing performance limiting voltage sag (in short, the higher the batteries  ‘C’ rating the faster it can discharge larger levels of energy in short bursts) which is especially important for heavy drones like the Mavic as it assists sudden throttle changes and allows for fast acceleration from a ‘standing’ start etc.

thanks for the details explanation
2019-3-11
Use props
mouthpiec
lvl.4
Malta

I think it would be a good idea if the batteries had button combination (ex keep press button for 10sec) to start the discharge process.
2019-3-11
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

I believe you can set the "auto discharge" to a specific number of days, (mine are set to 3 days to start the auto discharge).
It is not "stuck" to 10 days. User adjustable...
2019-3-11
Use props
mouthpiec
lvl.4
Malta

Flycaster Posted at 3-11 07:23
I believe you can set the "auto discharge" to a specific number of days, (mine are set to 3 days to start the auto discharge).
It is not "stuck" to 10 days. User adjustable...

for the mavic 2 this is not possible
2019-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

mouthpiec Posted at 3-11 07:25

I think myself that as flycaster has said for other drone batteries, it would be great to set batteries to discharge from 2/10 days, personally for me with P4pro I always set to 3 days .
2019-3-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

mouthpiec Posted at 3-10 11:17
it is now very clear  

We're glad that the documentation helps you a lot. It's not necessary to do this with your remote controller, you could leave the RC's battery with at least 50-60% if you will not use it for a couple of days. Kindly let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-11
Use props
Flycaster
Captain
United States

mouthpiec Posted at 3-11 07:25

Well, that's just silly....
2019-3-13
Use props
QuadcopterGuide
Captain
Flight distance : 828904 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Moutpiec,

i struggle with the same situtation sometimes. I wish i could just get the drone to hover in my room but due to noise concerns that's not a viable solution .

I use one of these adapters to hook up my Mavic 2 Pro batteries and charge various devices with it to speed up the discharge process. One useful thing that people sometimes don't think about is charging up a USB battery bank, those things hold a ton of juice and will deplete a M2P really well. If you're interested in my other favorite Mavic 2 Accessories I just made a video about them .
Hope that helps.
2019-3-13
Use props
Vinniez
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2106204 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

DJI Tony Posted at 3-11 08:30
We're glad that the documentation helps you a lot. It's not necessary to do this with your remote controller, you could leave the RC's battery with at least 50-60% if you will not use it for a couple of days. Kindly let us know if you have other concerns. Thank you for continued support.

Hi Tony , Why Mavic 2 battery charge hub didn't have discharge function like the one for Phantom ? It very usefull and I use it a lot.   I rather dispointed why DJI didn't put the same feature for the mavic 2 battery charger hub.

2019-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules