1755 11 2019-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Hi folks,

I'm planning a holiday trip to South Africa later this year. Does anyone have hints or ideas about bringing a drone there, and about currect flight regulations?

Thanks a lot,
Wolferl

2019-3-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Wolferl. Thank you for reaching out and for these information.  I hope you'll get the best information and recommendations here from our valued DJI Members and Customers who travelled in South Africa. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can check locations in South Africa where in you can fly your drone freely and if the said location is a no fly zone ( NFZ ). Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2019-3-11
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
Flight distance : 11265331 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Any idea about where is SA you will be visiting? It a beeeg place and you can fly most places except near airports. Also the season will influence your flying.There is a Loooong and interesting coastline but this is ofetn windy. inland there is usually less wind and there are many scenic places to see.
I am based 50Km from Cape Town and often travel 10 to 50km to get to places the are visually appealing to me.
Usually the Great and Little karoo are good for flying (wind-wise) if the fairly barren (for the most part) landscape is appealing to you.
As for the Northern part - Thats about 500Km to about 1500km from me - I am not all that familiar with the area but there are some really scenic areas (mountains, trees and streams) and then there are many less visually apealing areas.

Hope you enjoy your visit and look forward to seeing some of your photography of the country.
2019-3-11
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

Just  some samples of the area I am in.
The forestry area beside Grabouw. On a cool and overcast day with cyclists.
The Theewaterskloof dam where Cape Town gets its water. Note the coloration of the bridge legs which indicate how much water is NOT in the dam at the moment (drought with water usage restrictions) but still deep enough for a speed boat.

And a pic of the beach 2km from where I live
2019-3-11
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

2019-3-12
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

And just for scale - Cape Town to Springbok distance 555Km - usually takes about 5 to 6 hours by spark (of the Chevrolet kind)

2019-3-12
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Austria

Thanks for all your tips!

I'm planning the trip along Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Knysna, Tsitsikamma NP, Port Elizabeth. from there I'm flying to Durban, from there to Swaziland and the Krüger NP, then at last to Johannesburg.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-3-13
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

Wolferl Posted at 3-13 00:53

I'm planning the trip along Cape Town, Stellenbosch, Knysna, Tsitsikamma NP, Port Elizabeth. from there I'm flying to Durban, from there to Swaziland and the Krüger NP, then at last to Johannesburg.

Sounds like a trip I would like to take.
There are smaller airfields at places like Stellenbosch but the major ones are as listed below.

You should have plenty of eye-appealing topics to photograph. Enjoy!
2019-3-13
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Austria

Droffarc Posted at 3-13 04:39
Sounds like a trip I would like to take.
There are smaller airfields at places like Stellenbosch but the major ones are as listed below.
[view_image]

Hi Droffarc,

I'm not too into urban drone flying, I do more like landscapes and stuff.
Do you have any pointers about flying in NP? If permits are needed, can they be obtained?

Cheers,
Wolferl
2019-3-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Wolferl Posted at 3-13 00:53

You're most welcome. Should you need further assistance, please feel free to contact us. Thanks for choosing DJI!
2019-3-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Wolferl Posted at 3-13 07:36
Hi Droffarc,

NPs: Afaik it is (mostly) not permitted.
In some parks they even check luggage on the way in and confiscate drones.
(Not sure you get it back, in case THEY found it, not you have shown it!
But I just follow the topics btw., no own experience, yet.
Just many of the "drone laws in ..." websites do point into that direction, too!)

Have a nice trip and bring back the drone and good footage ;-)
2019-3-13
Use props
Droffarc
First Officer
  • >>>
South Africa

Wolferl Posted at 3-13 07:36
Hi Droffarc,

Hey, I don,t think you are allowed to fly in a "National Park" ie. one with wild animals in -it may upset other park go'ers - some people think you are spying on them - really!
However, national parks with trees and plants don't seem to mind as long as you don't trample them and set fire to them.
I have not yet flown in one but like for example the Knysna forest would be outstanding for trees and the like - I used to love riding by bike there. Apparently there is still one (lonely) elephant somewhere in the forest, But I have not seen it.

Here is a link to SanParks - ask them.https://www.sanparks.org/

See also https://www.tripadvisor.co.za
2019-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules