Travel Recommendations
811 3 2019-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I’ve taken Sparky on numerous trips over the 20 months I’ve had it.  In 2018 alone I made two trips to Europe (flying in 9 countries), Alaska, Hawaii and several US states.  I’ve come to realize that there are several things that can occur that would ruin my Sparkation so here’s a few things I do to keep Sparky happy…and me, too!!!

1)   Protection, protection, protection:  A broken motor mount, gimbal, or RC toggle can ruin your flying plans/whole trip.  I have a large hard case with foam cutouts for road trips.  But when I’m trying to save space like air travel and then backpack around tourist destinations, I use the Fly More case for Sparky and a small hard shell RC case.  I always use RC toggle guards, gimbal guards, prop guards and battery clip as any damage/loss to these are show stoppers.  I have a heavy material backpack for the plane carry-on and a soft foldable backpack to use once I'm sightseeing.  I always keep the batteries in LIPO bags in my carry-on.

2)   I take extra micro SD cards…each one has a word document loaded on it with all my contact info.  I use to have 64 GB cards (still do) but I also bought a 5 pack of 16 GB cards for $30 to use each day.  That way I can change them out each night and if I have a flyaway I don’t lose all my pics/vids of the whole trip.

3)   A single tree can easily destroy 4 props…ever try ordering new props on vacation???  Good luck.  I take 3 sets (4 each) of the DJI props.  I know they’re expensive but running out of props is another show stopper.  I’m going to buy a cheaper set of 8 props ($13) to use as an emergency backup.  Someone recently posted a positive review about them in the forum.

4)   I download to my mobile device or print on paper any national/local regulations I can find so if approached by law enforcement I can show them I am legally flying (or have done as much as I could to legally fly).  I also have UAV Forecast and AirMap apps on my mobile device.  If there are No Fly Zone apps for the country I’m in I download those (e.g. Geoportail for France or Swiss Drone Map).

5)   I carry a powerbank for my mobile device.  After 4-6 flights I have found my mobile device is about out of power.  Has anyone ever had their mobile device die while Sparky was airborne?

6)   I have six batteries but also have a portable charger.  Mine is the Smatree SP90 which is smaller and cheaper than DJI’s, charges 3 batteries simultaneously in 50 minutes versus 1 for DJI, and charges 6 batteries on it’s single charge versus DJI’s 3.

7)   In Europe, I have an extra non-flammable ID tag that is mandatory in certain countries…just in case the one I have on Sparky falls off.

8)   I always take prop guards…most of the time I don’t use them but if people are nearby or I plan to fly near obstacles (trees, etc.) I always put them on.

For the Northern Hemisphere, we are just coming into peak travel months.  These are the show stoppers I think most could affect you.  I would be interested to hear other’s recommendations…please reply.

2019-3-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Rustic17. Thank you for sharing this travel tips and recommendations with us today. This will be a very big help on all of our DJI Members and DJI Customers. Great work and thank you for supporting DJI.
2019-3-11
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Good packing for travel suggestions.

Three sets of props?  Lordy, how often do you crash?  Two spare sets in addition to the set mounted on the drone?

Spark Glide 3.gif
2019-3-11
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 3-11 11:19
Good packing for travel suggestions.

Sooner or later I'll probably need them.  I go on vacation for 6 weeks at a time.  Never flown into a tree.  I've probably only broken 3 props in 20 months.  I've seen a lot of YouTube videos of props being eaten up by trees, rocks, fingers...just 3 full sets to be on the safe side (ones on Sparky included).  Remember, if you run out of props that's a show stopper.
2019-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules