581 23 2019-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8517 ft
United Kingdom

Hi

I have had my mp2 for a couple of months now, we havent had many days I can get out and take footage, also for me Liivng in west London, I have to travel a fair way to get out of the Heathrow exclusion zones.

Anyway, I did finally manage to get a video done and uploaded to youtube. This is my first time editing and recording. Im posting this for you guys to give me constructive critism and advice. I spend every spare hour watching you tube tutorials on mp2 settings, premiere pro settings and anything regarding editing. Im using a 15inch 2018 Macbook pro and when using premiere pro for editing the colours look to saturated in the editing software (i do use lumetri scopes to correct) but after exporting the footage in either VLC player or Quictime they look much less saturated as they also do on my you tube upload.

I dont know why this is but i guess thats a different question for a different Forum.

I shoot using D-Log at 30fps,1/60th and polar pro Nd filters ( yep all the gear and no idea).   link to video https://youtu.be/hH1clVUj7NE
2019-3-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>

Little tip,  in the editor on the toolbar is a button for adding video,   put your youtube link there and it will be embedded in your post.
BTW,  Good footage for your first attempt,  to me it needs a little more saturation and sharpness.  F4.5 seems to be good for sharp images on mine.
2019-3-13
Use props
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
United Kingdom

https://youtu.be/hH1clVUj7NE
2019-3-13
Use props
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I just tried the add link and pasted youtube link but that didn't work, Is it the add link button ?

I agree about the saturation, and the problem I have is when editing it looks really saturated and contrasty in premiere pro. but after export the colours are weak. I have been using scopes and watching videos to eliminate screen calibration etc, but I just can't bring myself to not touch what I am seeing in the editing software.

many Thanks
2019-3-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

CHAPPERS70 Posted at 3-13 02:31
I just tried the add link and pasted youtube link but that didn't work, Is it the add link button ?

I agree about the saturation, and the problem I have is when editing it looks really saturated and contrasty in premiere pro. but after export the colours are weak. I have been using scopes and watching videos to eliminate screen calibration etc, but I just can't bring myself to not touch what I am seeing in the editing software.

Its the little button between the music note and the flash button.  If your using the post reply button you need to click advanced to get to the full editor.

Did you use the DJI Lut on your footage?
2019-3-13
Use props
Lysak2003
First Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

Nice first video!
Youtube does its own compression when you upload your video, so colours can look different to the source. Try to upload on Vimeo or Skypixel and watch what  you will get. They are more correct.
As for editing I hear that bits do not match with scene cutting. It is general advice: you should add the sound track on your empty timeline and set keyframe on the bits. Then add your footages and try to match them by length.  After that you can apply transitions and do colour correction and grading.Update: sometimes you just need to give up with some track and search for another one, that sounds more appropriate to your footages.

2019-3-13
Use props
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi
Yes I used the dji Lut. i corrected the basic clips first then applied an adjustment layer and the lut to that. but in the editing software the colours were so over satuted i bought them down.
I guess basically what im trying to say is that the footage after export looks like the lut has been removed although it hasnt. going forward i think i should trust the scopes and not my screen. I have read online people having problems using macs where the footage looks great in prem pro but washed out in VLC or quicktime player, I heavent found out the answer yet.
I have custom set up for exporting that was taken using info from a guy called matt johnson on you tube. I use proxies, also supplied by matt as the 4k footage struggles on my macbook.

Mark
2019-3-13
Use props
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-13 02:47
Its the little button between the music note and the flash button.  If your using the post reply button you need to click advanced to get to the full editor.

Did you use the DJI Lut on your footage?

thanks think I found it
2019-3-13
Use props
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Lysak2003 Posted at 3-13 02:59
Nice first video!
Youtube does its own compression when you upload your video, so colours can look different to the source. Try to upload on Vimeo or Skypixel and watch what  you will get. They are more correct.
As for editing I hear that bits do not match with scene cutting. It is general advice: you should add the sound track on your empty timeline and set keyframe on the bits. Then add your footages and try to match them by length.  After that you can apply transitions and do colour correction and grading.Update: sometimes you just need to give up with some track and search for another one, that sounds more appropriate to your footages.

Hi
and thank you. its funny you say that as the soundtrack I chose was for me impossible to match to my clips due to lack of experience.
You have just given me excellent advice and something I hadn't thought of, regarding adding the music first and video clips after.
This is the exact reason I have posted this video, and within a couple of replies I have already plant a very important factor
2019-3-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

CHAPPERS70 Posted at 3-13 03:03
https://youtu.be/hH1clVUj7NEHi
Yes I used the dji Lut. i corrected the basic clips first then applied an adjustment layer and the lut to that. but in the editing software the colours were so over satuted i bought them down.
I guess basically what im trying to say is that the footage after export looks like the lut has been removed although it hasnt. going forward i think i should trust the scopes and not my screen. I have read online people having problems using macs where the footage looks great in prem pro but washed out in VLC or quicktime player, I heavent found out the answer yet.

Any reason for spelling Mavic with a K ?
2019-3-13
Use props
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-13 03:13
Any reason for spelling Mavic with a K ?

Oh Bugger, Thats what you get for watching top gun too much
2019-3-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

CHAPPERS70 Posted at 3-13 03:18
Oh Bugger, Thats what you get for watching top gun too much

Did you use a custom thumbnail to get that initial image with the "Mavik" on?
2019-3-13
Use props
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-13 03:38
Did you use a custom thumbnail to get that initial image with the "Mavik" on?

Yes I did, I use canva.com to make the thumbnail and just used one of there templates
2019-3-13
Use props
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi Guys.

I have just done a small clip. first is untouched from the Mavic, the second has the DJI lut applied. but as I mentioned earlier if you saw this footage in premiere pro it looks like the colours are so saturated the paint could run of the boats. Does anyone else find this ?
2019-3-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

CHAPPERS70 Posted at 3-13 04:29
https://youtu.be/ckFxKuBSKycHi Guys.

I have just done a small clip. first is untouched from the Mavic, the second has the DJI lut applied. but as I mentioned earlier if you saw this footage in premiere pro it looks like the colours are so saturated the paint could run of the boats. Does anyone else find this ?

I find the blue quite saturated but I think the reds might need a push.   Could you post a short D Log raw file somewhere and we can play with it in FCPX and see if its different.
2019-3-13
Use props
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 3-13 05:13
I find the blue quite saturated but I think the reds might need a push.   Could you post a short D Log raw file somewhere and we can play with it in FCPX and see if its different.

Ill wait to be corrected , but could the blue saturation be down to the fact I used a polarising ND filter. I was led to believe that this filter would make blues bluer, is that a possibility.?

I will have to get some more footage for you once this weather and wind dies down as the footage I have taken so far has been camera on at takeoff and off on landing so you can imagine the size of the raw file.
2019-3-13
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>

CHAPPERS70 Posted at 3-13 06:01
Ill wait to be corrected , but could the blue saturation be down to the fact I used a polarising ND filter. I was led to believe that this filter would make blues bluer, is that a possibility.?

I will have to get some more footage for you once this weather and wind dies down as the footage I have taken so far has been camera on at takeoff and off on landing so you can imagine the size of the raw file.

Yes,  I think the polarising filter could make the blue richer.
2019-3-13
Use props
QuadcopterGuide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 828904 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Nice first vid! Looks a ton better than my first one lol
2019-3-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we do appreciate sharing your story here. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members will share their tips to improve your filming skills and also, a guide on which editing software that may help in regards to this scenario. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-13
Use props
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 3-13 10:15
Hi, we do appreciate sharing your story here. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members will share their tips to improve your filming skills and also, a guide on which editing software that may help in regards to this scenario. Please let us know if you need our assistance. Thank you for continued support.

Thanks Tony
2019-3-13
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

CHAPPERS70 Posted at 3-13 03:03
https://youtu.be/hH1clVUj7NEHi
I guess basically what im trying to say is that the footage after export looks like the lut has been removed although it hasnt. going forward i think i should trust the scopes and not my screen. I have read online people having problems using macs where the footage looks great in prem pro but washed out in VLC or quicktime player, I heavent found out the answer yet.

Ok, RAW talk:

- The subject is extremely boring = find something more interesting. MAKE IT more interesting by flying with different light. Dusk or dawn work usually the best.
- There's no story = what do you want to show? What's your intention? You went there because something attracted you to the place... you are not showing us that. Try different angles. Go closer. Go further away. Fly lower. Fly higher. Fly backwards. But find a focus point in order to develop a story around it.
- Follow your gut = Are you happy with the video? Friends and folks that want to be polite they will tell you it is fantastic. What do you feel when watching it yourself?
- Music & Cuts = you try to match the cut of the video with the beat change. That's ok WHEN there's a change on the image. in your case it is just a ...cut.
- Fly Slow = Practice several times the final sequence you want to record. Fly slow and make soft movements to avoid jerkiness.- Keep it simple = Avoid filters and other stuff until you are comfortable with your skills. Less hassle and things to worry about make for a safer fligth.
- Change you avatar = the cartoon on it as hair. That's deceiving ;)

Anyway, just practice man. It was a good 1st try   

2019-3-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

You're most welcome. Please feel free to reach us if you need our assistance. Thanks!
2019-3-14
Use props
CHAPPERS70
lvl.2
United Kingdom

El Diabolico Posted at 3-14 02:27
Ok, RAW talk:

- The subject is extremely boring = find something more interesting. MAKE IT more interesting by flying with different light. Dusk or dawn work usually the best.

Thanks for your honesty, and I agree with everything you have said,
Its boring to watch, but its the sort of place that is interesting to be at. I guess there also needs to be a creative element from inside the person filming, by that I mean you could be the best drone pilot but if you can't make a story its nothing. TBH this isn't my choice of venue for filming and my work commitments dont allow me to travel around at the moment. this location I have used for learning to fly the drone, and being in west London its about the only place near to my home I can fly due to airport restrictions.
I'm going to take on board your comments and see if I can use the same location and make a better video. As for the height, when I'm stood in the field, the reservoir is about 30foot above me so I can lose the line of sight quite easily.
As for the story, well I knew what it was, It was me going for a flight with my drone, but I guess that's not what it says to other people
2019-3-15
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

CHAPPERS70 Posted at 3-15 04:38
Thanks for your honesty, and I agree with everything you have said,
Its boring to watch, but its the sort of place that is interesting to be at. I guess there also needs to be a creative element from inside the person filming, by that I mean you could be the best drone pilot but if you can't make a story its nothing. TBH this isn't my choice of venue for filming and my work commitments dont allow me to travel around at the moment. this location I have used for learning to fly the drone, and being in west London its about the only place near to my home I can fly due to airport restrictions.
I'm going to take on board your comments and see if I can use the same location and make a better video. As for the height, when I'm stood in the field, the reservoir is about 30foot above me so I can lose the line of sight quite easily.

That's exactly the right attitude to make progress, I am glad you didn't took offense on my comments. I really didn't wanted to put you down by any means. Waiting forward to see the 'applied' version 2.0

Fly safe!
2019-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules