Flying over empty stadium
4903 7 2019-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mattdswartz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21604 ft
United States

I was flying over my kids high school football stadium today and a policeman approached me and said that someone complained that I was flying over the EMPTY stadium. I live in Indiana. I believe there is a law against flying over people, or over a sporting event, but was I breaking any laws?
2019-3-13
Use props
Lysak2003
Second Officer
Flight distance : 500052 ft
Ukraine

I think it's just precaution. They could think you prepare a terrorist attack and do some recognition stuff before you act.
2019-3-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry to know about that situation. Maybe you could coordinate this to your local authority to check the laws when in terms of flying drones. We would recommend abiding by the law to have a peaceful flight. Thank you for continued support.
2019-3-13
Use props
LouisP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Well the empty stadium is private property so to be polite  you could have asked for permission.  I don't think you broke any laws though unless your town / city has specific laws about where you can not fly.
2019-3-13
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Well at least they did not confiscate your drone
2019-3-14
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Tricky one to answer.... wondering how that stadium is not yet in DJI NFZ list.
2019-3-14
Use props
KlooGee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the US, I'm not aware of any federal regulations against flying over a small stadium like this if there are no people in it.  In fact, large NFL stadiums are fine to fly over as well as long as you are not doing so within an hour before until an hour after the game and you are not breaking any other regulations (flight over people, night flight, other restricted airspace, etc).  See the following link for additional info from the FAA:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreati ... ns/sports_stadiums/

From a general respect and privacy perspective, even if its legal, I would highly recommend only doing this if school is not in session and children are not in the vicinity.
2019-3-14
Use props
pmshop
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8073271 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is a link to looking up laws (and pending bills) in your state concerning drones.
https://statedronelaw.com/browse/
Sounds like to me someone just got their boxers in a bunch.
So long as you are courteous to the approaching party, you will be OK.
Local Sheriff dept stopped once when I was on the side of the road flying but was just asking if I was OK and not stranded.
2019-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules