Just received my 3.5mm adapter! Packaging?!
1532 35 2019-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SimonMScott
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So, just an update to say I received my 3.5mm adapter from DJI this morning!

Haven’t tested it yet but will do soon and feedback.

One thing I’ll say though, considering how expensive it is, the packaging leaves a lot to be desired?
CE6BEA9B-C4EE-49F4-BF1A-21C3A4641BEE.jpeg
2019-3-14
Use props
SimonMScott
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Also this is the extent of the instructions...2 pages.
B72B71E9-3358-4854-B6FF-DBBB5F762F8B.jpeg
2019-3-14
Use props
BeterBan
lvl.4
Austria

please show also the thankyou certificate from DJI for First Adopters   
2019-3-14
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

SimonMScott Posted at 3-14 04:45
Also this is the extent of the instructions...2 pages.

I hope I can figure it out!
2019-3-14
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

The 3.5mm audio adapter package feels like a package for 3.5$ adapter.

Well, tbh, I don't really care with the packaging, as long as the adapter works fine.

So, turns out it supports a TRS audio only.
Waiting for a review later about the OP with and without the adapter.
2019-3-14
Use props
Ricky Lo
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Hi there, have you tried it out yet?  I have also received mine, but I found out that the sound received is very weak.  I need to turn the volume to max when I playback my footage.  Is this the problem with my adapter or is that really an issue?
2019-3-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

So you got permission from Dji then?
I know from DHL tracking that mine is now only 12 miles away.
So near, yet so far.
Maybe today.
Maybe tomorrow.
I hope it doesn't get stuck in my letterbox
Why can't they just say a standard stereo mic adapter?
What's going to blow up if I get it wrong?
Now I'm worried
2019-3-14
Use props
Ricky Lo
lvl.1

Hong Kong

BTW, I have tried it using my RODE Video micro, as well as Saramonic SR-XM1.  Is there any way to boost up the audio input like the Gopro?
2019-3-14
Use props
StardustGeass
lvl.4
Indonesia

Ricky Lo Posted at 3-14 06:39
BTW, I have tried it using my RODE Video micro, as well as Saramonic SR-XM1.  Is there any way to boost up the audio input like the Gopro?

That is a very bad news for me... (Or good news, ssince I don't need to bother to buy one at all)
The reason I want a 3.5 adapter is because the sound volume is very low, and I have to crank the volume up to 100% to have a decent playback sound.

For the record, on the DJI OP settings about audio, we have a different settings about sound. To which sound does it refer to? Is it refers to the audio DJI OP will make, or the environment settings?

I asked about it, since yeah, on the loudest settings on the OP, the audio sounds very quiet.
2019-3-14
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing
2019-3-14
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

The rode mic has low output by design. It’s not that great. There are better mics that will provide a hotter signal  over the rode.

2019-3-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hmm!

Well, mine has just arrived.

My first impression is it clicks into place on the pocket quite firmly so isn't going to fall out accidentally. It does seem awfully vulnerable sitting at the base the way it does. I think I will have to adapt it somehow to have more contact with the base to prevent accidental bending. In that respect, it seems as vulnerable as the phone adapter. No matter. Volume from my Rhode video mic Pro with the built-in amp set to 0dbm  seems fine on auto volume.
What is worrying for me is initial tests seem to indicate that when using an external mic it is still behaving as it does with the onboard mics. As in mono. But it clearly isn't. It is rejecting any sound from the sides of the mic and only sound from directly ahead is being picked up. This will be great for interviews and such but otherwise not actually stereo out of the box, so to speak.
However, I'm going back when I've had a cup of tea and trying turning off the noise reduction from the Mimo app to see if it reverts to stereo. If it does I may be in trouble. I say this because quite often it will mean coming out of video each time might mean I have to reset the mic settings each time. I will go away and do some more testing.  If this is the case then I know what my next firmware update request will be.
Speak soon.
2019-3-14
Use props
Ricky Lo
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-14 07:33
Hmm!

Wow,  the Rode Videomic Pro itself is bigger then the OP.....
2019-3-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Part 2. Stereo test.

I plugged my Osmo Pocket into my phone. Entered Pro mode and turned off noise reduction. The audio appears to now be omnidirectional from the mic with higher handling noise but still appears to be mono. I can't figure this out. With my headphones on can't tell a left from a right difference, and looking at the VU meters, they are giving identical channel readings.
Can anyone else confirm this?
I'm sorry I can't upload a video but Flickr video is currently down, my Dropbox account is full with a project in use and I'm not a YouTuber.
2019-3-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Ricky Lo Posted at 3-14 08:07
Wow,  the Rode Videomic Pro itself is bigger then the OP.....

It certainly is but a nice sounding mic that is not huge.

Most of my other mics are much larger.  

2019-3-14
Use props
Ricky Lo
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-14 08:16
It certainly is but a nice sounding mic that is not huge.

Most of my other mics are much larger.

Since I don't have a powered mic like the Rode Videomic Pro, the sound output is too low and quality is disappointed, I had to give up playing with it until a new firmware update (hopefully there will be one)....
2019-3-14
Use props
seldom_static
lvl.2
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-14 07:33
Hmm!

Wait, but isn't the Rode VMP a mono mic to begin with?
2019-3-14
Use props
Gr8fulTed
lvl.2
United States

I understand what you mean on the surface. However, the less packaging the less planetary impact.
2019-3-14
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Just got mine, too. Was all anxious to try it, but it is TRS, and all my mics are TRRS, so I'm on the hunt for an adaptor or adaptor cable.

Hope to have a complete review posted by the end of this weekend, with the Movo VXR10 mic (TRS/TRRS, I believe - due to be delivered today), a wired lav (TRRS) and a Samson wireless lav mic (TRRS). Will also test it with the DJI Wireless Module.

2019-3-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

seldom_static Posted at 3-14 08:32
Wait, but isn't the Rode VMP a mono mic to begin with?

B*m! Brain fade moment! you are right.
Off to find some batteries for my multi-pickup-pattern stereo mic.
I may be a while.
On the plus side, the audio is very clean sounding despite the bitrate.
Thanks for the reminder, I may have carried on like this for who knows how long?  
Will go away with tail between legs.
2019-3-14
Use props
seldom_static
lvl.2
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-14 08:54
B*m! Brain fade moment! you are right.
Off to find some batteries for my multi-pickup-pattern stereo mic.
I may be a while.

Ha! No worries. I don't have the adapter yet but it would definitely be cool to know if it can capture stereo. Especially if I plan to fork over $40 + shipping lol.
2019-3-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

seldom_static Posted at 3-14 08:59
Ha! No worries. I don't have the adapter yet but it would definitely be cool to know if it can capture stereo. Especially if I plan to fork over $40 + shipping lol.

Worse news.
I haven't any working batteries for my other microphone
All my other mics are phantom powered.
Will go out tomorrow and try to find some replacement batteries.
Still, I know it works and what sound I've heard so far is clean.
2019-3-14
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-14 09:25
Worse news.
I haven't any working batteries for my other microphone
All my other mics are phantom powered.

That was another question I had - does it provide plug-in power?
And is the thing stereo?
2019-3-14
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

lummox Posted at 3-14 09:56
That was another question I had - does it provide plug-in power?
And is the thing stereo?

Oh happy day! ( Edit.. Or so I thought.. )

I have just confirmed that the audio dongle does indeed provide plug-in power, and is in stereo!

Yay!

I am planning on using this setup with Roland cs-10em binaural mics to make a lean and mean binaural capture rig, with video.

Thank you DJI!

Edit: turns out my test show it’s “mostly” stereo. If I tap on the left channel mic, I do hear something in the right. And vice-versa. It’s like both channels are mixed, but not to a mono signal. It’s odd.

2019-3-14
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

FedEx didn't leave my package because DJI required a signature for my adapter.  Seriously?  I didn't buy a drone.   A day wasted.  Now I have to request a redelivery attempt.  
2019-3-14
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

Joemar7 Posted at 3-14 10:55
FedEx didn't leave my package because DJI required a signature for my adapter.  Seriously?  I didn't buy a drone.   A day wasted.  Now I have to request a redelivery attempt.

That sux. My OP (the expensive part) was left on my doorstep. Dongle req’d a sig. go figure...
2019-3-14
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

That sux. My OP (the expensive part) was left on my doorstep. Dongle req’d a sig. go figure...
2019-3-14
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

lummox Posted at 3-14 11:03
That sux. My OP (the expensive part) was left on my doorstep. Dongle req’d a sig. go figure...

Yup, and now FedEx said the package cannot be routed to one of their pick-up facilities because DJI needs to approve it.  So I contacted DJI and they said it takes 3-5 business days for someone to review and approve this request.  I'm like what???  It's a mess.   
2019-3-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Well, I found an old mic I can't completely trust to have good isolation between channels but I don't think the output is stereo on the Pocket. Coming out of video when recording video and then taking a photo reset the noise reduction function on the Pocket.
Running the waveforms through Cubase showed some form of waveform invariance. Almost as if one waveform was an inversion of the opposing waveform, but not all the time. I'm going to have to get my wide stereo mic working tomorrow if I have time.
Yes, I had to sign for mine as well and it was just luck I was in. There was a warning text from DHL about an hour before it arrived saying it had to be signed for.
2019-3-14
Use props
lummox
lvl.4
United States

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-14 12:14
Well, I found an old mic I can't completely trust to have good isolation between channels but I don't think the output is stereo on the Pocket. Coming out of video when recording video and then taking a photo reset the noise reduction function on the Pocket.
Running the waveforms through Cubase showed some form of waveform invariance. Almost as if one waveform was an inversion of the opposing waveform, but not all the time. I'm going to have to get my wide stereo mic working tomorrow if I have time.
Yes, I had to sign for mine as well and it was just luck I was in. There was a warning text from DHL about an hour before it arrived saying it had to be signed for.

Maybe they are running the noise cancelleling function on the external mics as well. I think theres a setting for turning that off, but  I can’t find it  now. Maybe it’s thru the mimo app.?
2019-3-14
Use props
steven_sf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24948 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the Zoom iQ7 mid-side microphone with lightning connector. I am very happy with it but I don't think I will be able to adapt it. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a stereo TRS mic?  I mostly use it for concert recordings.
2019-3-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

lummox Posted at 3-14 12:26
Maybe they are running the noise cancelleling function on the external mics as well. I think theres a setting for turning that off, but  I can’t find it  now. Maybe it’s thru the mimo app.?

The noise canceling function is found in the video Pro mode in the Mimo app. I turned it off and it makes a difference but still not what I would call stereo. Also, it puts itself back into noise canceling mode if you take the Pocket out of video mode to do something else.
2019-3-14
Use props
RobCass
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Same here, they tried to delivery as well (one attempt) and then I had to go to a Few Ed pickup location which was not far.
2019-3-14
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 3-14 12:14
Well, I found an old mic I can't completely trust to have good isolation between channels but I don't think the output is stereo on the Pocket. Coming out of video when recording video and then taking a photo reset the noise reduction function on the Pocket.
Running the waveforms through Cubase showed some form of waveform invariance. Almost as if one waveform was an inversion of the opposing waveform, but not all the time. I'm going to have to get my wide stereo mic working tomorrow if I have time.

Hi Ray.

Can you centre both of those channels and phase reverse one of them and see what happens. If it is mono split across both channels it should completely cancel itself out. If it's only partial cancellation then it may suggest some of the oddities that I mentioned on one of my posts about the internals.

I couldn't say for sure but it almost sounds like the mic adaptor is being treated very similar to the internals at the encode stage. The AAC encoder itself could be doing some funky stuff even if it's being fed a mono input.

I've made a thread asking a bunch of questions, hopefully DJI will respond as it will be good for everyone to know the answers.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-3-14
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 3-14 16:35
Hi Ray.

Can you centre both of those channels and phase reverse one of them and see what happens. If it is mono split across both channels it should completely cancel itself out. If it's only partial cancellation then it may suggest some of the oddities that I mentioned on one of my posts about the internals.

Hi David.

I will have to do it later on Saturday. I'm rendering a video at present and going to bed :-)
Tomorrow evening I'm out on a pre-arranged stills shoot and won't be back until the early hours.
Shouldn't be difficult to do, there's a virtual switch somewhere on the mixer channels I think or a setting somewhere. I remember it's easy to do. I haven't used the program for about two years to my shame and have just reinstalled it after a PC rebuild.

Ray.
2019-3-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day SimonMScott. Thank you for purchasing the 3.5mm adapter for the DJI Osmo Pocket and for sharing this information with us. If you have any concerns or inquiry with the said adapter. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2019-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules